Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1066
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiedvc
Cindy, the Pompeii half day (for all ages) currently is showing a departure time of 8:30 am. They don't give a return time on the website.

We are going to go to Herculaneum on our own for the morning.

Still not sure how we will get there. Debating between hiring a taxi at the port or being brave and heading out on public transportation and the train. There is a big difference in cost and we are spending more on splurge type excursions than we thought we would......

Anyone else planning Herculaneum or Pompeii by train???

I would also like to have pizza somewhere. It is Naples after all. Naples also has a couple of pastries that sound intriguing.
Thanks. Not too early then.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #1067
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
Morning! I got all our excursions booked, but I barely had time to review them, so I feel that there will be alot of changing happening in the next few days.

But I got everything I wanted at the times I wanted EXCEPT...the very first thing I went to book as it was my only MUST do. It was the Malta by Segway. So...I am going to have to try to find a Segway tour somewhere else. My kids are 21, 19, 18, 15 and 8. So the 8 year old will have to skip that, but the older kids will love it! We have never done a Segway trip before...

Oh well! Have a great day all! I am supposed to fly to Denver (canceled flight yesterday due to the storm), so we will see how that goes.
Hey - glad you got settled on one of the cruises! I'm adding you to the who's sailing list in the first thread.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #1068
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We are having to rethink what we want to do about Venice.

We were thinking we would explore on our own the first day / evening and then do something DCL on the second day. But the DCL excursion we were most interested in, Murano Glass and Burano Lace, seems to be only offered on the first day.

We do want to visit Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs, but we don't have to do the Secret Itineraries tour - but if we did, it seems to be offered in English at 9:55 a.m., 10:45, and 11:35 if there are any tickets left for any of those slots. ( http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en...etitineraries/ ) -- I just checked and the 10:45 is not available to book.

There are a couple of other DCL excursions we might consider if the day / times are right for us.

Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Basilica and Gondola Ride

Murano Glass, San Giorgio Island and Gondola Ride

Secret Venice Walk and San Rocco

Or we might just end up doing everything on our own in Venice, but the kids did want some sort of "safety net" for the second day's exploration so we won't miss the ship. So I guess we need to see what options DCL has for the second day. Gosh, can't wait til we can book our excursions!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #1069
sandiedvc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom
There are a couple of other DCL excursions we might consider if the day / times are right for us.

Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Basilica and Gondola Ride day 1 leaves at 2 pm, day 2 at 8:15 am
Murano Glass, San Giorgio Island and Gondola Ride: Day 1 only leaves at 1:30 pm

Secret Venice Walk and San Rocco. Day 1 @ 2:30 pm, day 2 at 8:30

Or we might just end up doing everything on our own in Venice, but the kids did want some sort of "safety net" for the second day's exploration so we won't miss the ship. So I guess we need to see what options DCL has for the second day. Gosh, can't wait til we can book our excursions!
Cindy, I typed the times above in your quote. I have tried to change the font but the combination of the ipad and the mobile app I can't figure out how to do it!!!!! Sorry.

You might want to look at Viator too. They have some very highly rated tours.

I am a chicken about be stranded too, but I understand we can walk from St Marks to Pizzale Roma (sp?) where the people mover is in 30 min so Between that and the vaperetto or the water taxi as an expensive last resort, I feel comfortable about being on our own in Venice.

Last edited by sandiedvc; 03-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.
sandiedvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #1070
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiedvc View Post
Cindy, I typed the times above in your quote. I have tried to change the font but the combination of the ipad and the mobile app I can't figure out how to do it!!!!! Sorry.

You might want to look at Viator too. They have some very highly rated tours.

I am a chicken about be stranded too, but I understand we can walk from St Marks to Pizzale Roma (sp?) where the people mover is in 30 min so Between that and the vaperetto or the water taxi as an expensive last resort, I feel comfortable about being on our own in Venice.
Sandie - thanks so much for this. We will definitely have to hammer this out in the next several days. Knowing the times ahead is great because it helps us figure it out before time for booking.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #1071
dorothyn
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=nzdisneymom;47652901]We are having to rethink what we want to do about Venice.

We were thinking we would explore on our own the first day / evening and then do something DCL on the second day. But the DCL excursion we were most interested in, Murano Glass and Burano Lace, seems to be only offered on the first day.
[QUOTE]

Murano and Burano are both on the vaporetto routes, so they're supposed to be fairly easy to do with public transportation. Or you could book a private tour. Mom and I booked with Il Bragozzo. They're not super expensive and come recommended at Trip Advisor. We're doing our trip on Day 1 in Venice. I think this is the first cruise we've done where we're not booking any excursions with Disney.
dorothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #1072
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Venice

I think Venice is the stop I am most excited about! I have been all over the web looking up tours, trip ideas and DIY info.

It looks super easy to do on your own...but we are an adventurous group and have traveled extensively all over Europe on our own. So I'm not that worried. According to most websites, you can't really go wrong as you are on an island...pretty hard to get too lost, lol!

I have found some super fun looking evening tours that take you to local bars/tapas places etc. The only problem is that they take you to 5 places with wine and an appetizer at each stop. I think I would be hammered by the time I was done! And I really want to remember my time here.

But I love the idea of these back door type tours...so much to decide...for you DIY people, what are you looking at doing?

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1073
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think Venice is the stop I am most excited about! I have been all over the web looking up tours, trip ideas and DIY info.

It looks super easy to do on your own...but we are an adventurous group and have traveled extensively all over Europe on our own. So I'm not that worried. According to most websites, you can't really go wrong as you are on an island...pretty hard to get too lost, lol!

I have found some super fun looking evening tours that take you to local bars/tapas places etc. The only problem is that they take you to 5 places with wine and an appetizer at each stop. I think I would be hammered by the time I was done! And I really want to remember my time here.

But I love the idea of these back door type tours...so much to decide...for you DIY people, what are you looking at doing?
What is the website for the night tours you're finding. Our group plans on doing one of the Murano tours, which arrive back at 7, then we want to wander around and eat dinner somewhere. A self guided tour might be a good idea... I'd appreciate any help you could provide.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1074
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Try darktours dot com and urbanadventures dot com

Don't know why I typed it that way, it seems alot of people do that...?

But, there are 7 of us, so dont' fill up the good tous, lol!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #1075
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Try darktours dot com and urbanadventures dot com

Don't know why I typed it that way, it seems alot of people do that...?

But, there are 7 of us, so dont' fill up the good tous, lol!
Thanks!!! We'll be 7 also, but the kids in our party are MUCH younger than yours, they're 15,13 and 12......
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1076
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Thanks!!! We'll be 7 also, but the kids in our party are MUCH younger than yours, they're 15,13 and 12......
Well, we do have a 15 year old, but you would think she is 20 by the way she acts and looks, lol! Plus we have our little 8 year old peanut. She is our little tag along. She has been all over the world but doesn't remember most of it!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #1077
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiedvc View Post
I am amazed (and very happy) that they have added Rome excursions for us that will let us get into the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel!

We have gone from doing it on our own to booking one of the DCL excursions!

I have gotten my excursions booked, but it is giving me an error everytime I tried to complete my online checkin
. Which excursions get in?
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #1078
meb51
Mouseketeer

How early a flight?

This may have already been discussed but I will confess that I have not been keeping up with this thread. We just decided for certain a few weeks ago that we are definitely going on this cruise (We are doing B2B with the 6/15 cruise.) Ok - here is my question. Can we make a 10:45 flight from Barcelona and would it be possible to use Disney transfers to make sure we get to the airport by that time? Also, if so, can you do transfers for just one way? That is the only nonstop flight going to our destination on that day.

Our group is signed up on the first page of this thread but I am not sure if we are signed up for fish extenders? Where is that info? I feel like I am a little late coming to the party
meb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #1079
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We booked our excursions for our Greece cruise last night - very happy to have gotten the four we wanted, but exhausted today. And in 12 days we get to stay up late and do it again for this one!

These are a couple of the Rome ones (when you go look, look for those that say Vatican or Exclusive):

Exclusive Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel with St. Peter's Basilica and Colosseum (Selected Sailings Only)
Civitavecchia, Italy
Sightseeing Adventures

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ica-colosseum/

Explore the classical highlights of Rome on this tour. Enjoy an exclusive visit to the Vatican Museum, including the Sistine Chapel. In addition, visit St. Peter's Square and admire its towering Basilica, followed by a stop at the awe-inspiring Colosseum.

Exclusive Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel with St. Peter's Basilica And Colosseum – Adult Only Departure (Selected Sailings Only)
Civitavecchia, Italy
Sightseeing Adventures

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...losseum-adult/

Explore the Classical Rome highlights on this tour. With an exclusive visit to the Vatican Museum, including the Sistine Chapel. In addition, visit St. Peter's Square and admire its towering Basilica followed by the awe-inspiring Colosseum.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1080
sandiedvc
Mouseketeer

Re Rome

We didn't discover that they had added more Rome excursions until the Saturday before we were supposed to book. I was very surprised as I had heard that the Vatican will not allow tour groups on Sunday and that they close at 2 pm.

I had called DCL last Saturday to arrange for distilled water for DH bipap and decided to ask some questions about the Rome tours.

Now the DCL agent I talked to had to constantly refer to her supervisor (as the Port Adventure desk was closed since it was a weekend), so hopefully this information is accurate BUT she told me that DCL had made arrangements with the Vatican to have tours after they close on Sunday. I am hoping that it means that Disney tours will be the only ones in the place which would be fabulous.

I am hoping to get some time next week to call during the week when the Port Adventure desk is open to confirm what it all means, but things have been crazy here so it may take more than a week till it rises to the top of the To Do list

There are a couple of other tours that include the Vatican for our cruise:

1. the Vatican exclusive that Cindy mentioned, 2. the one like that but without the Colosseum (substitute free time instead) and 3. the Best of Rome (both reg and adult) were showing available to book the other night.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: