Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #991
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Welcome to our new shipmates!

We decided on our "big picture" activities and are starting to get into the nitty gritty of the planning -- being newbies it is starting to get a little overwhelming and a bit scary.

Suddenly even simple things like checking into the hotel seem like a foreign concept. Surely using Disney transportation to a Disney hotel will take care of that worry. I think we will be able to take the HOHO bus to Sagrada Familia. Our plane arrives early on 6/26 so we will want to keep going for as long as we can.

Could someone give me an idea what to expect the day of embarkation? Again we are using Disney transportation. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what happens when you actually get on the ship -- food and drink! But it is the part before that is a little murky to me.

Thanks for your help!
If you're using DCL transportation, getting to the port and onto the ship is really easy. When you check in at the hotel, they will give you a letter (or provide one to you later in the day) with instructions on what to do. There may be a DCL rep at the hotel depending on what time of day you arrive. The letter will tell you what to do with your luggage, where to meet the transportation, etc. When we took DCL transportation in London, we had to sign up for a time to go over to the port - they had transportation leaving every 15-30 minutes. The luggage went over in a separate vehicle.

We stayed at a DCL hotel in Vancouver and while we could walk to the port, we had DCL take our luggage from the hotel to the port for us so we didn't have to drag suitcases across the street. That situation was very similar in that we got a letter with instructions for what to do - for having our luggage ready for pick-up by a certain time, etc. And there will definitely be a DCL rep that morning, so you can always go for a quick chat / check that all is well.

So then they transport you over to the port terminal and from there, it's much the same as anything else - have your cruise documents and identification ready and you'll check-in there. Sometimes they have check-in at the hotels so you can do everything at the hotel with the DCL rep including having your pictures made so when you get to the port, you don't have to do all that - they will tell you what to do and when to do it.

Then you get on the ship and after that, it's the same as every other cruise!
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #992
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....
 
JLSE50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by gydell View Post
When we were there last time you really could not roam. There was a rope and you just walked through the church. We bought our tickets there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We are planning to use the HOHO for both transportation and sightseeing in Barcelona and will buy our Sagrada Familia tickets ahead of time for The day after we arrive which will be the day before we sail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gydell View Post
What is everyone planning to do on their arrival day? After a night flight and very little sleep not sure whether to start with important sites or less important sites.
We arrive the day before embarkation and Sagrada is what we want to see so it sounds like we find out how to use HOHO bus to get there, enjoy the view, see the cathedral, return to the hotel and sleep.

then CRUISE!!

.
__________________
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #993
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....
 
JLSE50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
That's good to hear about the other ships
I think there is supposed to be a festival while we are there





A friend posted a website to me for buying tickets to Sagrada Familia
But it only allowed sales up to end of March
http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng...TarifesInd.php


us too
I am just hoping to keep everyone awake on the first day and I think it was you (or someone else) that told me that scheduling anything anything the first day was risky as any plane delays could interfere
So HoHo bus for the first day and the Sagrada Familia, the Towers and the Gaudi Museum the next day (day before the cruise).
Maybe we'll see you on the bus


Looking to keep us busy enough on the day we arrive to stay awake, but nothing really important scheduled so not to run the risk of plane delays causing stress.
The next day (6/26) is when we will do most of our sightseeing...mostly Gaudi I think. Trying to talk the DH (Darren) into a segway tour
Thanks for the info! I noticed that we cannot buy the Sagrada tickets yet too, so I will keep checking.



.
__________________
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #994
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

While I enjoy meeting other people while we're traveling, when it comes to dinner, we prefer to be just us at the end of a long day of touring, so we've asked our TA to request a 4-top table for dinner. I'm much more likely to get my family members to come to dinner when it's just us.

What do you all prefer for dining? We also don't always eat in the dining room, so when sitting by ourselves, we don't leave people waiting and wondering if we're coming or are just late.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #995
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
If you're using DCL transportation, getting to the port and onto the ship is really easy. When you check in at the hotel, they will give you a letter (or provide one to you later in the day) with instructions on what to do. There may be a DCL rep at the hotel depending on what time of day you arrive. The letter will tell you what to do with your luggage, where to meet the transportation, etc. When we took DCL transportation in London, we had to sign up for a time to go over to the port - they had transportation leaving every 15-30 minutes. The luggage went over in a separate vehicle.

We stayed at a DCL hotel in Vancouver and while we could walk to the port, we had DCL take our luggage from the hotel to the port for us so we didn't have to drag suitcases across the street. That situation was very similar in that we got a letter with instructions for what to do - for having our luggage ready for pick-up by a certain time, etc. And there will definitely be a DCL rep that morning, so you can always go for a quick chat / check that all is well.

So then they transport you over to the port terminal and from there, it's much the same as anything else - have your cruise documents and identification ready and you'll check-in there. Sometimes they have check-in at the hotels so you can do everything at the hotel with the DCL rep including having your pictures made so when you get to the port, you don't have to do all that - they will tell you what to do and when to do it.

Then you get on the ship and after that, it's the same as every other cruise!
Thank you, Cindy, for the great information and for talking me out of my panic! I love your blog by the way -- lots of great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
We arrive the day before embarkation and Sagrada is what we want to see so it sounds like we find out how to use HOHO bus to get there, enjoy the view, see the cathedral, return to the hotel and sleep.

then CRUISE!!

.
Sounds like a plan to me! If you figure out which bus to use before we do please post.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #996
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
We arrive the day before embarkation and Sagrada is what we want to see so it sounds like we find out how to use HOHO bus to get there, enjoy the view, see the cathedral, return to the hotel and sleep.

then CRUISE!!

.
Which hotel are you staying at? We're at the Renaissance Barcelona and I was looking around on Google Maps (Street View - love it) to see how far of a walk it might be from the hotel to Sagrada Familia - it looks like 20-30 minutes.

There are a couple of different HOHO companies. In 2007 we used Bus Turistic and may very well use that one again. They have earbuds that they provide and you can pick your language for the pre-recorded commentary.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #997
gydell
I am watching and waiting
The Magic is my favorite
 
gydell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 7,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
While I enjoy meeting other people while we're traveling, when it comes to dinner, we prefer to be just us at the end of a long day of touring, so we've asked our TA to request a 4-top table for dinner. I'm much more likely to get my family members to come to dinner when it's just us.

What do you all prefer for dining? We also don't always eat in the dining room, so when sitting by ourselves, we don't leave people waiting and wondering if we're coming or are just late.
We always ask for our own table and have always gotten it for the same reasons, plus we can eat at our on pace. We rarely stay for the dining room shows.
__________________












<a href='http://www.mickeypath.com/'>
<img src='http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1431673211.png'>
</a>
gydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #998
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary2808 View Post
Platnium can book in less than two weeks. DCL is really trying my patience b not going ahead and posting the excursions. I'm pretty sure we know what we're doing but I want to see what DCL is offering as well.
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyn View Post
Hi all! Thanks for the welcomes. I'm getting so excited already and we have 132 days until the cruise. Getting everything planned



We were on the very first Baltic cruise, June 2010. It was amazing. I hope the Mediterranean cruise is as awesome. I really just hope we're not so exhausted we need a vacation from our vacation
Thankful for that last sea day for sleeping late and just relaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
Thanks for the info! I noticed that we cannot buy the Sagrada tickets yet too, so I will keep checking.



.
If you remember to post here to remind the rest of us that would be great
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #999
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoral33 View Post
Just added ourselves (Cynthia, DH, DD 10) to the roll call. This will be our 5th DCL cruise. Love the longer cruises, decided to go for the 12 day Med cruise while we were on the East bound Panama Canal cruise back in Dec. Lots of good info shared here and in the trip reports. I am reading up to see if we want to do some ports on our own.
welcome aboard

Lots of info for doing the ports on your own
Minniediva has a pretrip report that has a ton of links and trip reports for info
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #1000
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
welcome aboard

Lots of info for doing the ports on your own
Minniediva has a pretrip report that has a ton of links and trip reports for info
Yeah Kim is awesome and a good friend of mine. We traveled with her in 2010. I'll tell her when we hook up in WDW next month that you like her report.
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #1001
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....
 
JLSE50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
.......

Sounds like a plan to me! If you figure out which bus to use before we do please post.
I spent time on BING maps yesterday studying and printing out sections of cities and ports. I discovered it is a bit over a mile to the north from the Renaissance to Sagrada. We will walk. After a red-eye flight we will need the exercise. Casa Mila and the Gaudi house that looks kind of like a dragon are one street south of the Renaissance for the latter and about 5 blocks west on the same street for the former so those could be walking tours too.

I played with the picture of the Mickey logo made in words by putting the Goofy in a toga from our DCL cruise docs page on it and the dates for the cruise. Another version has just the Goofy. He is off center so I did it again and centered him.

Some are thinking of using it for magnets or shirts. I loaded them to Photobucket this morning and posted them here--on page 68.

FE--we don't participate but do know that on some of our cruises when the group gets to a set size they close it and start another. Some people sign up for one group and some for more.

: banana : with no spaces between : and letters = so if you don't see the emoticon you can type him in.

Jan
__________________
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!

Last edited by JLSE50; 02-21-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: I loaded the logo ideas on page 68
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #1002
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Yeah Kim is awesome and a good friend of mine. We traveled with her in 2010. I'll tell her when we hook up in WDW next month that you like her report.

I've already contacted her about her Malta info. She found a private tour company that will let you customize your own tour in Malta. It looked pretty good so I am most likely going to use them too.

Anyone interested in sharing a private tour in Malta that includes a visit to the Hypogeum let me know
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #1003
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
I spent time on BING maps yesterday studying and printing out sections of cities and ports. I discovered it is a bit over a mile to the north from the Renaissance to Sagrada. We will walk. After a red-eye flight we will need the exercise. Casa Mila and the Gaudi house that looks kind of like a dragon are one street south of the Renaissance for the latter and about 5 blocks west on the same street for the former so those could be walking tours too.

I played with the picture of the Mickey logo made in words by putting the Goofy in a toga from our DCL cruise docs page on it and the dates for the cruise. Another version has just the Goofy. He is off center so I did it again and centered him.

Some are thinking of using it for magnets or shirts. I have not played with Photobucket since they "upgraded" so have not tried to post them here. If someone wants to snag them from Facebook, save them on a site and post here, that would be great.

FE--we don't participate but do know that on some of our cruises when the group gets to a set size they close it and start another. Some people sign up for one group and some for more.

: banana : with no spaces between : and letters = so if you don't see the emoticon you can type him in.

Jan
Thanks Jan
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #1004
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
I spent time on BING maps yesterday studying and printing out sections of cities and ports. I discovered it is a bit over a mile to the north from the Renaissance to Sagrada. We will walk. After a red-eye flight we will need the exercise. Casa Mila and the Gaudi house that looks kind of like a dragon are one street south of the Renaissance for the latter and about 5 blocks west on the same street for the former so those could be walking tours too.
We got our Barcelona Street map in the mail yesterday (along with Venice and Rome). I was excited that the Renaissance is marked on the map (although it's marked at AC Diplomat still) and was able to start getting my bearings as to which was Sagrada Familia was from the hotel.

I'm excited to start studying Venice - I haven't looked into much about Venice yet as I've been waiting for the port excursions to be listed to give me some specific ideas of what we might do through DCL so I'd know what else we'd do on our own. Everyone says Venice is super easy to do on your own, so I really do think we'll do the first day on our own and then the 2nd day with DCL if they offer something we'd like to do and it's not too much money.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #1005
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,565

Venice and Dubrovnik excursions are up now!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: