Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #601
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
My favorite port ... Well, that's hard to say because there was so much about each that we loved. In Helsinki, my 3rd cousin met us and we spent the day with his family. I loved Copenhagen and want to go back some time. I liked the village at the sea that we visited in Germany. It rained when we were in Oslo. St Petersburg was absolutely amazing.
Our day in Oslo was a bit rainy too. I know what you mean by hard to pick a favorite port. We went to Berlin and loved it there and really want to go back some day too.

That's what I like about crusing, getting a chance to get a taste of so many different countries and cultures
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #602
emmah16
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
welcome aboard
I think the DCL excursion are offically published about 4-5 months prior to sail date (maybe more) I think it varies.
Someone posted a link to a previous DCL Med cruise excursion list but I was having trouble reading it (maybe need new reading glasses, I'm getting old)

So what are you doing in Malta
I am having a hard time deciding because there are so many things I want to do there.
Well my plan is to stay in Valletta, buy some beautiful Medina glass to add to my collection Maybe have a glass of wine at the Hard Rock Cafe and admire Magic as shes docked . I plan to take it easy here as the other ports are more than likely to be more intense.Valletta is a beautiful city with so much history, just walking around the forts is nice. Malta itself is beautiful as is Gozo if you get chance to go.

emmah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #603
pacurn
Mouseketeer

Pulled the trigger on air fare last night, as soon as DH's boss put it writing (so the cancell for work Trip Insurance will work if needed) Too bad the boss hemmed and hawed and the price went up.

Guess this is real now.
pacurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #604
lgajohnson
Mouseketeer

Another thing checked off my list...I booked our apartment! We are staying at the Majestic Residences for 5 nights before the cruise. Our flight home leaves the day we disembark, so all of our sight seeing in Barcelona will be pre-cruise.

Anybody planning on going up to Montserrat while in Barcelona? Any tips?

We are getting closer to the nine month mark!
lgajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #605
pacurn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnson View Post
Another thing checked off my list...I booked our apartment! We are staying at the Majestic Residences for 5 nights before the cruise. Our flight home leaves the day we disembark, so all of our sight seeing in Barcelona will be pre-cruise.

Congrats of booking the apartment. We've used apartments both times we've been in BCN for 3+ day and loved it.
Yes I've done Montserrat in the past before a WBTA. I used a tour company then (there were 15 of us). While we got to see the Church and touch the Madonna, we didn't get to hike or take the train to the top. The DCL tour was on a Sunday, so those folks didn't get near the Madonna. This time we are planning on the train on Wednesday and spending the day.

For anyone interested here is a rundown of what we did during a 7 day cruise (some ports overlap)

http://adamsfamilytravels.shutterfly.com/
pacurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #606
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacurn

Congrats of booking the apartment. We've used apartments both times we've been in BCN for 3+ day and loved it.
Yes I've done Montserrat in the past before a WBTA. I used a tour company then (there were 15 of us). While we got to see the Church and touch the Madonna, we didn't get to hike or take the train to the top. The DCL tour was on a Sunday, so those folks didn't get near the Madonna. This time we are planning on the train on Wednesday and spending the day.

For anyone interested here is a rundown of what we did during a 7 day cruise (some ports overlap)

Last time, our plan was to do Montserrat, but we had other issues and missed. This time, I plan on going. We want to go on our own. Did you see tourists there without tour groups?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #607
BeachgirlNJ
Earning My Ears

Hi, we just booked our FIRST EVER cruise on the Magic 6/27 yesterday !! We are DVC members but have never cruised before. I am Julie, DH Brian, 2 kids dd 9 and ds 12. Talk about jumping in feet first !!

We booked a GTY cat4B and are really nervous that we are going to get the shaft, but we didn't want to miss out because the cruise is soooo booked already !

Looking forward to reading this ridiculously long thread, learning all about cruising, I just ordered Passporter's guide to DCL, and I am really interested in signing up for the Fish Extender exchange if one exists.

Any good links that all of you veterans (and there seem to be some big cruisers on this cruise, which is very reassuring) would suggest to a complete newbie, thanks in advance. Can't wait to get into the groove and SQUEEEEEEL I am so freaking excited !!
BeachgirlNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #608
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

Sadly we had to change our reservation from this cruise to the 7 night Med. But... now our friends can join us. They didn't book early like we did and the price was out of reach. Anyway... we are jumping over to the 7 day thread. I hope everyone enjoys Venice. I will see it another time. After all, I didn't think I would be going back this quickly anyway.

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #609
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachgirlNJ View Post
Hi, we just booked our FIRST EVER cruise on the Magic 6/27 yesterday !! We are DVC members but have never cruised before. I am Julie, DH Brian, 2 kids dd 9 and ds 12. Talk about jumping in feet first !!

We booked a GTY cat4B and are really nervous that we are going to get the shaft, but we didn't want to miss out because the cruise is soooo booked already !

Looking forward to reading this ridiculously long thread, learning all about cruising, I just ordered Passporter's guide to DCL, and I am really interested in signing up for the Fish Extender exchange if one exists.

Any good links that all of you veterans (and there seem to be some big cruisers on this cruise, which is very reassuring) would suggest to a complete newbie, thanks in advance. Can't wait to get into the groove and SQUEEEEEEL I am so freaking excited !!
Welcome!!!! My DS will be 12 next year! My DD is 15. Where in NJ are you from? We're from outside Princeton our friends traveling with us are from Essex county. We sailed the Med in 2010 so ask any questions.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #610
BeachgirlNJ
Earning My Ears

Thanks ! We are from the Red Bank area. I'm sure I will have a million questions, I am the most worried about the "GTY" aspect. That, and when/how to fly to and from Barcelona and where to stay LOL. Otherwise I guess my new hobby is learning everything I can about cruising the Magic. I assume your traveling friends have kids as well ? My BIL/SIL live in Roseland.

THanks for the welcome !

Julie
(I need to make a fancy signature)
BeachgirlNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #611
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks ! We are from the Red Bank area. I'm sure I will have a million questions, I am the most worried about the "GTY" aspect. That, and when/how to fly to and from Barcelona and where to stay LOL. Otherwise I guess my new hobby is learning everything I can about cruising the Magic. I assume your traveling friends have kids as well ? My BIL/SIL live in Roseland.

THanks for the welcome !

Julie
OMG. I grew up in Red Bank. Graduated from RBC. Our friends have a DD who will be 13. You'll be fine with the GTY. We had one in 2010 and got a nice cabin. We are flying from PHL cheaper than EWR leaving on the 25th. DD has finals until the 24th and DS doesn't get out until the 25th. We are flying home on the 10th. Im just not comfortable trying to grab a 10:45am flight home thę day we get off, I'd rather stay that day. We did the same thing in 2010 and it was very relaxing.
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #612
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Welcome!!!! My DS will be 12 next year! My DD is 15. Where in NJ are you from? We're from outside Princeton our friends traveling with us are from Essex county. We sailed the Med in 2010 so ask any questions.
Quote:

THanks for the welcome !

Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
OMG. I grew up in Red Bank. Graduated from RBC. Our friends have a DD who will be 13. You'll be fine with the GTY. We had one in 2010 and got a nice cabin. We are flying from PHL cheaper than EWR leaving on the 25th. DD has finals until the 24th and DS doesn't get out until the 25th. We are flying home on the 10th. Im just not comfortable trying to grab a 10:45am flight home thę day we get off, I'd rather stay that day. We did the same thing in 2010 and it was very relaxing.
Lots of folks from NJ on this sailing. We are in South Amboy. We are older seniors and I just added air, transfers and pre-hotel to our DCL reservation. I have until final payment date to change anything. We will do the red eye from Newark on the 25th, stay at the Renaissance and hope DCL puts us on the non-stop on the 9th from BCN to EWR.
Just got off the Magic and can't wait to get back on in 2013.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #613
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmah16 View Post
Well my plan is to stay in Valletta, buy some beautiful Medina glass to add to my collection Maybe have a glass of wine at the Hard Rock Cafe and admire Magic as shes docked . I plan to take it easy here as the other ports are more than likely to be more intense.Valletta is a beautiful city with so much history, just walking around the forts is nice. Malta itself is beautiful as is Gozo if you get chance to go.
This is one of the ports that I am having alot of fun researching
We might stop off in the Hard Rock Cafe to get a hurricane glass if we have time to go with the 2 we have at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacurn View Post
Pulled the trigger on air fare last night, as soon as DH's boss put it writing (so the cancell for work Trip Insurance will work if needed) Too bad the boss hemmed and hawed and the price went up.

Guess this is real now.
Congrats on getting your airfare
That to me is the hardest thing to purchase as I am always hearing about these fantastic fares but worried if I wait too long I'll get stuck with only bad options

Now the real planning can start

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgajohnson View Post

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ontserrat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacurn View Post

Great trip
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #614
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:

:wlcome: welcome aboard
Yes, there are alot of great tips in the thread.
I was thinking we need a spot to consolidate all the great links.

I am thinking the Fish Extender organization probably won't happen until January Anyone can step in any time and get it started of course
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #615
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_Ohio View Post
Sadly we had to change our reservation from this cruise to the 7 night Med. But... now our friends can join us. They didn't book early like we did and the price was out of reach. Anyway... we are jumping over to the 7 day thread. I hope everyone enjoys Venice. I will see it another time. After all, I didn't think I would be going back this quickly anyway.
Sorry to miss seeing you

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: