Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #241
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Welcome Aboard




Hello
My DH and I are planning to do most if not all the ports on our own or through a private tour company.
We'd love it if you could share the details of the excursions you took when you went to the Med
and prices if you don't mind so we can compare with all the options on the internet
Hi Laurie (wrong spelling IMO )

Anyway, it needs to be repeated, IF you're planning a private tour in Italy, you need to make sure you hire a private guide in addition to a driver. MOST, if not all of the companies you'll find will only provide a driver at first. A guide in Italy needs a special license, so you have to pay extra for that. We had private guides in both La Spezia and Rome. We had usually 2 vans booked and each time, I got the short end of the stick and my drivers weren't very chatty and one didn't even speak english very well.

In La Spezia we went to Pisa and climbed the tower, then headed off to Florence for the remainder of the day. Our company did arrange a place for us to eat lunch in Florence and it was DELICIOUS!!! We had maybe 60-90 minutes to wander around Florence after lunch. My family and I looked around the sort of bazaar that was located close to where we ate lunch with everyone else. After that we all kind of took off in different directions. We then walked down to Ponte Vecchio to look around a bit, grabbed some gellatto and just wandered. We saw some amazing chalk artists doing work in the street!!!!

In Rome, we first went to Palentine Hill, where our drivers (not mine, again they never spoke) told us this was the best place to get tickets to the Colosseum, to just walk through to the Colosseum and since you already have your ticket you'll bypass the line to get in. They were right, but at this point in the day, it's when we first realized that we were truly on our own. After getting a map and TOTALLY lost, we found our way towards the Colosseum, we also were on our own once inside. We did look around, though I wish we had someone telling us what we were looking at. After that, we drove around Rome a bit to get sort of a drive by tour of certain things. I was upset that we didn't stop at the Spanish Steps, hey this time I will! Then it was off to the Trevi Fountain. What I found weird was that I found it to be hidden. Our drivers dropped us off, in what seemed to be an area where there was nothing. Gave us direction to go down this road about two or three blocks and it will be on our left.... So we started out, I a little bit apprehensive, down this rather normal looking Roman street. Then after a few minutes, you hear the water, so I knew we were on the right path. It was absolutely MOBBED!!! We found the DCL photogs there, and had our photo taken while throwing in our obligatory coin, who knew it would work!!!! I forgot to add, that we also found DCL photogs in Pisa. AFter the Trevi Fountain, off we went for lunch. They took us to a restaurant that was located right near the Vatican our next stop. It was the only place Rome in Limo had recommended hiring a private guide. Our art historian was HORRIBLE and the company no longer uses her services because we weren't' the only ones who complained. Anyway, it took us about 2 hours to get through the entire Vatican and St. Pauls with the guide. it was beautiful and HOT! The only room in the Vatican that had air conditioning was the rug room. With it being August and all of the people, INSANELY HOT!! After the Vatican, we headed back to the ship. We had a few in our party who had early seating and wanted to be back in time for dinner, so I believe we were back by 5:00. The rest of us didn't want to chance it by being late getting back since we weren't on a DCL excursion. Cliffside and I MIGHT hire a driver with a guide this time for Rome, our other option is to do the DCL Rome on your own excursion and then do the hop on/off bus. We really haven't decided what we want to do yet. We're more focused on our Fantasy maiden voyage in a little more than 5 weeks!!!!

Our friends who also sailed the Med with us in 2010 have started a pre-trip report for their 6/15 Greece cruise and are reliving our trip there as well. It's well written and has some great info and pictures as well. I suggest you all visit it http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334

If anyone has any questions about our 2010 Med cruise, please ask!!!!
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #242
pacurn
Mouseketeer
 
pacurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 78

We're in, DH, and probably DD 21 although her plan is to be working for DCL by then.

We went with two of our kids to the Med in 2010 for our 30th anniversary on RCL. DH was not excited about it but ended up loving it. We really like Barcelona.

I'll really start thinking about this one after we get off the Fantasy MV. Then get into serious planning mode after the July Magic Canada trip.
pacurn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #243
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,795

Dom13 over on the Creative Board made this for us.


(((( editing - I gave her 2012 instead of 2013 - so I've asked if she'll fix it -- the corrected one should still appear here in a bit. ))))

http://www.domthirteen.com/images/CruiseItinerary3.jpg


If I linked it right, it's our itinerary!
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013

Last edited by nzdisneymom; 02-25-2012 at 10:29 AM.
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #245
Deb T.
It's so nice to read for fun again
I love my iPod!
I'm Crazy DIS Tag Lover...now gimme some S'Mores!
 
Deb T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Beach Club Villas as often as possible!
Posts: 2,983

Awesome graphic! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
DVC Members since 1995! OKW, SSR, BLT

62 Disney World Trips so far... next one this winter!
21 Disneyland Trips so far... next one this fall!
1 Disneyland Paris Trip!

DCL PLATINUM!: Magic 1998; Wonder 1999; Wonder 2006; Wonder 2007; Mediterranean Magic 2007; Wonder 2008; Mexican Riviera Magic 2008; Wonder 2009; Wonder 2010; Baltic Sea Magic 2010; B2B Dream 2011/Dream 2011; Dream 2012; Fantasy EC 2013; looking forward to Baltic Magic again in 2015!
Deb T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #246
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb T. View Post
Awesome graphic! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dom13 did a great job, right? You all will see this one on our cabin door!
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #247
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Dom13 over on the Creative Board made this for us.

http://www.domthirteen.com/images/CruiseItinerary3.jpg



If I linked it right, it's our itinerary!
It looks GREAT,but the dates are wrong..... We sail in 2013
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #248
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
It looks GREAT,but the dates are wrong..... We sail in 2013
Ack - you're right - glad you saw it - I'll see if she can fix it for us. That was my bad because I put 2012 instead of 2013 ... guess it was wishful thinking.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #249
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer
 
Angie_Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 420

MrsScooby

The cab fare was 40euro for the trip from the port to the Blue Grotto and back. It was quite a drive away possibly due to highway construction. I had a nice young driver who told me about the country and even showed off pictures of his baby girl. He took my picture overlooking the Blue Grotto before the return to port.
__________________

******************************************

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #250
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Hi Laurie (wrong spelling IMO )

Anyway, it needs to be repeated, IF you're planning a private tour in Italy, you need to make sure you hire a private guide in addition to a driver. MOST, if not all of the companies you'll find will only provide a driver at first. A guide in Italy needs a special license, so you have to pay extra for that. We had private guides in both La Spezia and Rome. We had usually 2 vans booked and each time, I got the short end of the stick and my drivers weren't very chatty and one didn't even speak english very well.

In La Spezia we went to Pisa and climbed the tower, then headed off to Florence for the remainder of the day. Our company did arrange a place for us to eat lunch in Florence and it was DELICIOUS!!! We had maybe 60-90 minutes to wander around Florence after lunch. My family and I looked around the sort of bazaar that was located close to where we ate lunch with everyone else. After that we all kind of took off in different directions. We then walked down to Ponte Vecchio to look around a bit, grabbed some gellatto and just wandered. We saw some amazing chalk artists doing work in the street!!!!

In Rome, we first went to Palentine Hill, where our drivers (not mine, again they never spoke) told us this was the best place to get tickets to the Colosseum, to just walk through to the Colosseum and since you already have your ticket you'll bypass the line to get in. They were right, but at this point in the day, it's when we first realized that we were truly on our own. After getting a map and TOTALLY lost, we found our way towards the Colosseum, we also were on our own once inside. We did look around, though I wish we had someone telling us what we were looking at. After that, we drove around Rome a bit to get sort of a drive by tour of certain things. I was upset that we didn't stop at the Spanish Steps, hey this time I will! Then it was off to the Trevi Fountain. What I found weird was that I found it to be hidden. Our drivers dropped us off, in what seemed to be an area where there was nothing. Gave us direction to go down this road about two or three blocks and it will be on our left.... So we started out, I a little bit apprehensive, down this rather normal looking Roman street. Then after a few minutes, you hear the water, so I knew we were on the right path. It was absolutely MOBBED!!! We found the DCL photogs there, and had our photo taken while throwing in our obligatory coin, who knew it would work!!!! I forgot to add, that we also found DCL photogs in Pisa. AFter the Trevi Fountain, off we went for lunch. They took us to a restaurant that was located right near the Vatican our next stop. It was the only place Rome in Limo had recommended hiring a private guide. Our art historian was HORRIBLE and the company no longer uses her services because we weren't' the only ones who complained. Anyway, it took us about 2 hours to get through the entire Vatican and St. Pauls with the guide. it was beautiful and HOT! The only room in the Vatican that had air conditioning was the rug room. With it being August and all of the people, INSANELY HOT!! After the Vatican, we headed back to the ship. We had a few in our party who had early seating and wanted to be back in time for dinner, so I believe we were back by 5:00. The rest of us didn't want to chance it by being late getting back since we weren't on a DCL excursion. Cliffside and I MIGHT hire a driver with a guide this time for Rome, our other option is to do the DCL Rome on your own excursion and then do the hop on/off bus. We really haven't decided what we want to do yet. We're more focused on our Fantasy maiden voyage in a little more than 5 weeks!!!!

Our friends who also sailed the Med with us in 2010 have started a pre-trip report for their 6/15 Greece cruise and are reliving our trip there as well. It's well written and has some great info and pictures as well. I suggest you all visit it http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334

If anyone has any questions about our 2010 Med cruise, please ask!!!!
My DH always gets huffy when he sees his name "misspelled", but I am used to seeing mine spelled differently all the time

Thanks for the details about your excursions. Have heard those travel guides are a must in certain ports so that you know what you are looking at. Shame that art historian was a bust
Never had a really bad guide before, just some better than others.
No real planning right now for me either as we have 2 big trips this summer to get through first.
We might rebook our room in June when we are on the Fantasy to get the 10% discount.
Can't wait to hear how DCL does with the MV on the Fantasy. Really loved those moving pictures on the Dream. Especially the nautical map one that kept changing.
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #251
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacurn View Post
We're in, DH, and probably DD 21 although her plan is to be working for DCL by then.

We went with two of our kids to the Med in 2010 for our 30th anniversary on RCL. DH was not excited about it but ended up loving it. We really like Barcelona.

I'll really start thinking about this one after we get off the Fantasy MV. Then get into serious planning mode after the July Magic Canada trip.
Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Dom13 over on the Creative Board made this for us.


(((( editing - I gave her 2012 instead of 2013 - so I've asked if she'll fix it -- the corrected one should still appear here in a bit. ))))

http://www.domthirteen.com/images/CruiseItinerary3.jpg


If I linked it right, it's our itinerary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Ack - you're right - glad you saw it - I'll see if she can fix it for us. That was my bad because I put 2012 instead of 2013 ... guess it was wishful thinking.
It's beautiful
I'm sure it can be fixed easy enough. I can totally see wishing it was this summer instead
Gonna make one for our cabin door too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_Ohio View Post
MrsScooby

The cab fare was 40euro for the trip from the port to the Blue Grotto and back. It was quite a drive away possibly due to highway construction. I had a nice young driver who told me about the country and even showed off pictures of his baby girl. He took my picture overlooking the Blue Grotto before the return to port.
Thanks
Our driver for our Berlin tour in 2010 was like that. Very nice to talk to. Some times you luck out and get a really good driver
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #252
RMOTHERHUBBARD
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MINNESOTA
Posts: 15

My sister and her family are interested in joining us on the June 27 med cruise. She said last year she thought Disney had a special for under 1000.00 per person. Does any remember when Disney posted the discounted fare.
RMOTHERHUBBARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #253
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOTHERHUBBARD View Post
My sister and her family are interested in joining us on the June 27 med cruise. She said last year she thought Disney had a special for under 1000.00 per person. Does any remember when Disney posted the discounted fare.
I am guessing it was closer to cruise time

They seem to advertise those specials when it becomes clear they are having trouble filling the ship.

I think most of us that booked early are on the lookout for any sign of the price rising or dropping. The fact that it has not substantially gone up is a good sign.

I would suggest booking a cabin now and being on the lookout for any special deals that come along because the price can always go up at any time.
If they drop you can rebook at the lower price.
If they go up, well you got in before the price increase.

__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #254
doberlady
It just never gets old to me
I adore the obsessiveness of Disney planning
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: yorktown, NY
Posts: 952

Help me LOL

I am booked on the july 13th med with Greece.

We are thinking of switching to this itinerary. We have been to Venice before and spent 6 days.

Were any of you guys torn between the Greece itinerary?

Might be joining you!
__________________
Debbie

Dixie Landings 1993 * Dixie Landings 1997
Dixie Landings 2000 * Old Key West 2002
Old Key West 2005 * Old Key West 2006
Contemporary 2008 * Disney Magic 2009
POR/CR 2010 * Contemporary 2011
Contemporary 2012 * Beach Club CL 2014

doberlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #255
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOTHERHUBBARD View Post
My sister and her family are interested in joining us on the June 27 med cruise. She said last year she thought Disney had a special for under 1000.00 per person. Does any remember when Disney posted the discounted fare.
They ran that special for our 8/17/10 cruise. It started about 4 months before sail date. So no guarantee that they will do it for ths one. My suggestion is to book a room they at comfortable with now so they can feel secure booking air fare. IF they release it before final payment they can switch. If they release after you can't switch since they now have new restrictions on those fares now and they can't be applied to existing bookings. So yu have to see if the penalty for canceling is then worth thę savings. Also it's usually was for a cat 12 which DCL doesn't sell anymore they call it cat 11c.
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: