Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #181
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran
 
MrsScooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
In 2007 we did the same trip to Sorrento and it still is one of our favorites. In 2010 we did the Sorrento excursion where the kids made pizza in a local restaurant. Our daughter loved it and the local workers they hired were as if they had WDW employees transfered to Italy. Very very kind to the kids.The inlaid wood shop in Sorrento will ship your purchase home for you and we took advantage of this feature (alot). The only thing you should be aware is that you do pay import fees on said item which was $20.00 or so. On our 2009 Royal Carribean trip we went to Capri and it was beautiful to see BUT the trip to the farm for lunch with Sorrento and Pompeii is still the best and we are leaning to re-book this excursion next time.
What kinds of things did they sell at the inlaid wood shop in Sorrento? That sounds very cool

I know we are getting a Venetian Mask in Venice, but wondering what to bring back from the other ports
__________________
Laurie (Wonder July 2002, Wonder August 2006, Magic PC Repo August 2008, Wonder July 2009, Magic Baltic July 2010, Dream June 2011, Fantasy June 2012, Magic Med June 2013, Wonder Alaska 2014)
MrsScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #182
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
What kinds of things did they sell at the inlaid wood shop in Sorrento? That sounds very cool

I know we are getting a Venetian Mask in Venice, but wondering what to bring back from the other ports
You name it and they had it. Everything from small music boxes,to large game tables that cost 8k euro!!!! Everything they had was beautiful. I wanted a small table for my foyer but at 1,000 euro DH said it was too much. I'm hoping to pick it up this time!
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #183
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran
 
Lifelong_Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,754

That inlaid wood in Sorrento is beautiful. I bought a beautiful jewelry box there when I visited way back in 1999.

Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #184
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
What kinds of things did they sell at the inlaid wood shop in Sorrento? That sounds very cool

I know we are getting a Venetian Mask in Venice, but wondering what to bring back from the other ports
The store owner in Sorrento has a brother that runs a store in Shrewsbury Mass. It is called Casa di Sorrento and the web sight is [url]www.casadisorrento.com. It can give you an idea of what they have. In Florence they are well known for their leather works and have beautiful leather coats as well as their gold. Villefranche is known for their perfume and do offer excursions to perfume factories. And of course Venice is glassware. On our stop in Positano we went into a local store to buy some wine and the shop owner wanted to sell us a case. He even handed us his card and said he is on the web and can ship to the U.S. The local wine was excellent and Disney does allow you to take items back to the ship to consume.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #185
jedipup
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 17

Hi everyone

We (Me 42, wife 37, & son 6) booked the cruise several weeks ago, but now got around to looking for the board. I was quite surprised at how quickly the board has grown. We sail on the Magic out of Barcelona in June of 2011, and have been to all the port several times over. If anyone has questions, we would be happy to offer advice regarding the ports of call.
jedipup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #186
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipup View Post
We (Me 42, wife 37, & son 6) booked the cruise several weeks ago, but now got around to looking for the board. I was quite surprised at how quickly the board has grown. We sail on the Magic out of Barcelona in June of 2011, and have been to all the port several times over. If anyone has questions, we would be happy to offer advice regarding the ports of call.
jedipup - welcome to the group! Glad to have y'all with us. We sailed the Med in 2007 with DCL and a few of the ports are the same but obviously there are new ones, too. Have you been to the ports that are on this itinerary that were not on DCL's previously? Those are the ones I am most interested in learning more about! Venice, Malta, Dubrovnik are new for us.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #187
rotary2808
DIS Veteran
 
rotary2808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
What kinds of things did they sell at the inlaid wood shop in Sorrento? That sounds very cool

I know we are getting a Venetian Mask in Venice, but wondering what to bring back from the other ports
Be sure to carefully research your Venetian mask. Many of the sellers sell masks that are from China, so you really have to look around to find the authentic ones. I'll have to see if I can find the name of the store we went to on the ABD Viva Italia, their's are authentic Venetian and absolutely gorgeous. With ABD we got to paint and decorate our own which was a lot of fun.
__________________
Emily

rotary2808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #188
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary2808 View Post
Be sure to carefully research your Venetian mask. Many of the sellers sell masks that are from China, so you really have to look around to find the authentic ones. I'll have to see if I can find the name of the store we went to on the ABD Viva Italia, their's are authentic Venetian and absolutely gorgeous. With ABD we got to paint and decorate our own which was a lot of fun.
Emily - this is a good point - and it reminded me that when we were on the Baltic cruise in 2010, I went to several of the Port Shopping seminars / talks which were really good because the Shopping Expert did some educational portions in addition to pushing the "guaranteed shops" - she told us what things to watch out for (made in China vs. made in Russia) and what little things made a difference in prices of items we might come across. And she talked about how things were made - it was interesting to learn about so much of that and when we got home, I did some reading and found that what she said was true, not just a sales gimmick. So I guess my point is that we should definitely take advantage of the information the Shopping Expert can provide about how to look for authentic items vs. touristy-fake-items.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #189
mjhoward
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I live in a small town called Forres in Scotland,
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Hi mjhoward! Welcome to the Meet Thread and to DISBoards! You'll find a lot of great information here - and keep hanging out with us here and you'll get lots of hints and tips for cruising with DCL! Some of us have cruised in the Med before, too, so we're sharing our previous experiences and memories as we have a long ways to go until it is time to sail! have you cruised before?

I'm Cindy D and will be sailing with my DH and two teenage boys. The first post of the thread has a list of those who are sailing and we'll also be putting announcements there as we schedule things like a Meet and Greet or other activities.



Hi Cindy,
My name is Maxine and I'm sailing with my husband, son 18 and daughter 12.
We have never been on any cruise before, this will be our first ever one and I am a bit apprehensive about all the planning everyone seems to be doing. My son will just be 18 and he is a little worried he'll not meet anyone his own age to hang out with as there is no club. What do the older kids do? My daughter is very shy, will the leaders at the club encourage her to stay?
I have so many questions
mjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #190
mjhoward
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I live in a small town called Forres in Scotland,
Posts: 3

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Hi mjhoward! Welcome to the Meet Thread and to DISBoards! You'll find a lot of great information here - and keep hanging out with us here and you'll get lots of hints and tips for cruising with DCL! Some of us have cruised in the Med before, too, so we're sharing our previous experiences and memories as we have a long ways to go until it is time to sail! have you cruised before?

I'm Cindy D and will be sailing with my DH and two teenage boys. The first post of the thread has a list of those who are sailing and we'll also be putting announcements there as we schedule things like a Meet and Greet or other activities.



Hi Cindy,
My name is Maxine and I'm sailing with my husband, son 18 and daughter 12.
We have never been on any cruise before, this will be our first ever one and I am a bit apprehensive about all the planning everyone seems to be doing. My son will just be 18 and he is a little worried he'll not meet anyone his own age to hang out with as there is no club. What do the older kids do? My daughter is very shy, will the leaders at the club encourage her to stay?
I have so many questions
mjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #191
Deb T.
It's so nice to read for fun again
I love my iPod!
I'm Crazy DIS Tag Lover...now gimme some S'Mores!
 
Deb T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Beach Club Villas as often as possible!
Posts: 2,973

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhoward View Post
Hi Cindy,
My name is Maxine and I'm sailing with my husband, son 18 and daughter 12.
We have never been on any cruise before, this will be our first ever one and I am a bit apprehensive about all the planning everyone seems to be doing. My son will just be 18 and he is a little worried he'll not meet anyone his own age to hang out with as there is no club. What do the older kids do? My daughter is very shy, will the leaders at the club encourage her to stay?
I have so many questions
You'll love a Disney cruise! It's a fabulous experience!

For your son, there will be several opportunities for him to meet others in his age group. The ship will have meet and greets for single cruisers and also for the "college" age group.

I think your daughter will be fine. The kid's clubs have a lot of fun activities for her to participate in. Each day, the "Navigator" will list all the different activity choices for her to choose from. Hopefully, she will meet a new friend on the first day that she will enjoy hanging out with in the clubs.

As far as all the planning we're already doing, most of it is just because we're so excited about the trip that we are eager to talk about all the fun we will have! In reality, we really can't even make any reservations until July at the earliest. It might be easier for you to think about planning this cruise in steps:
1st: Decide how many days before and after the cruise you want to be in Barcelona. Most will agree that it's best to arrive at least one day early.
2nd: Make plane reservations
3rd: Make hotel reservations
4th: DCL probably won't publish port excursion options until closer to the cruise, but you can get an idea of what could be offered by reading other cruise planning websites
5th: Once you know what kinds of port excursions are offered, then you can decide whether you'd like to use DCL excursions or book excursions on your own through private vendors

Hope this helps! In the meantime, keep reading this thread for lots of great ideas!
__________________
DVC Members since 1995! OKW, SSR, BLT

62 Disney World Trips so far... next one this winter!
21 Disneyland Trips so far... next one this fall!
1 Disneyland Paris Trip!

DCL PLATINUM!: Magic 1998; Wonder 1999; Wonder 2006; Wonder 2007; Mediterranean Magic 2007; Wonder 2008; Mexican Riviera Magic 2008; Wonder 2009; Wonder 2010; Baltic Sea Magic 2010; B2B Dream 2011/Dream 2011; Dream 2012; Fantasy EC 2013; looking forward to Baltic Magic again in 2015!
Deb T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #192
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhoward View Post
Hi Cindy,
My name is Maxine and I'm sailing with my husband, son 18 and daughter 12.
We have never been on any cruise before, this will be our first ever one and I am a bit apprehensive about all the planning everyone seems to be doing. My son will just be 18 and he is a little worried he'll not meet anyone his own age to hang out with as there is no club. What do the older kids do? My daughter is very shy, will the leaders at the club encourage her to stay?
I have so many questions
Welcome. My daughter is 11yrs. old now and she is not too shy and would welcome the chance to make a friend from accross the pond. We have cruised the Magic in the Med twice before and this being our third. Our daughter probably knows the ship and routines better than us and would welcome the chance to share.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #193
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhoward View Post
Hi Cindy,
My name is Maxine and I'm sailing with my husband, son 18 and daughter 12.
We have never been on any cruise before, this will be our first ever one and I am a bit apprehensive about all the planning everyone seems to be doing. My son will just be 18 and he is a little worried he'll not meet anyone his own age to hang out with as there is no club. What do the older kids do? My daughter is very shy, will the leaders at the club encourage her to stay?
I have so many questions
Hi Maxine! Cruising is a great way to have a "sampling" of parts of the world we might not otherwise get to for a land-based trip. We look at it as a way to decide if the area is somewhere we'd like to come back to. For us, we cruised in the Med in 2007 and absolutely wanted to go back - that's why we're doing our "once in a lifetime" trip all over again

We are actually glad we're sailing this coming year instead of the following as our older son will turn 17 just before this cruise and be between his junior and senior year of school, so he'll have his one last year in the youth program. Will your son have graduated from high school? Or will he be ready for his last year? If he's not yet graduated, there may be an option for him to participate in the youth program - I am pretty sure they let young people stay in as long as they haven't graduated yet.

If you look on the first post of this thread, we have a running list of other DISers and their travel companions so you can see that there are others who have children the same age (or nearly) as your DD. I will say that my boys have always enjoyed the youth programs, and the space for the 12 yr olds on the Magic is great - Ocean Quest is what it has been called although they may be renamed it to be the Edge to be consistent with the Dream and Fantasy. Whatever they call it, the youth counselors have always done a great job in supervising and getting kids involved. Be sure to go with her the first day to "meet and greet" the counselors in the open house time and then have her go to the first night's get-acquainted session. That's when they go over the rules and activities for the week and do some ice breakers.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #194
jel0511
DIS Veteran
 
jel0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Hi Maxine! Cruising is a great way to have a "sampling" of parts of the world we might not otherwise get to for a land-based trip. We look at it as a way to decide if the area is somewhere we'd like to come back to. For us, we cruised in the Med in 2007 and absolutely wanted to go back - that's why we're doing our "once in a lifetime" trip all over again

We are actually glad we're sailing this coming year instead of the following as our older son will turn 17 just before this cruise and be between his junior and senior year of school, so he'll have his one last year in the youth program. Will your son have graduated from high school? Or will he be ready for his last year? If he's not yet graduated, there may be an option for him to participate in the youth program - I am pretty sure they let young people stay in as long as they haven't graduated yet.

If you look on the first post of this thread, we have a running list of other DISers and their travel companions so you can see that there are others who have children the same age (or nearly) as your DD. I will say that my boys have always enjoyed the youth programs, and the space for the 12 yr olds on the Magic is great - Ocean Quest is what it has been called although they may be renamed it to be the Edge to be consistent with the Dream and Fantasy. Whatever they call it, the youth counselors have always done a great job in supervising and getting kids involved. Be sure to go with her the first day to "meet and greet" the counselors in the open house time and then have her go to the first night's get-acquainted session. That's when they go over the rules and activities for the week and do some ice breakers.
You're lucky your DS will still be 17, DCL did just redo the rules that stated that as long as you are 18, you're no longer welcome in the children programing, even if you're a sr in HS.

The did rename OQ to the Edge. DD LOVED the Edge, but she'll be 15 so no more Edge for her this trip. DS will be 1 week shy of 11 when we're on the Fantasy Maiden, so he's hoping to move up. With the strictness DCL lately, I"m not 100% sure they'll let him anymore.....

DS will be 12 when we cruise, and I think they're a lot of other kids around the same age on this thread, so you're DD will find plenty of friends!
__________________
DVC Owner VWL BWV SSR
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #195
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
You're lucky your DS will still be 17, DCL did just redo the rules that stated that as long as you are 18, you're no longer welcome in the children programing, even if you're a sr in HS.

The did rename OQ to the Edge. DD LOVED the Edge, but she'll be 15 so no more Edge for her this trip. DS will be 1 week shy of 11 when we're on the Fantasy Maiden, so he's hoping to move up. With the strictness DCL lately, I"m not 100% sure they'll let him anymore.....

DS will be 12 when we cruise, and I think they're a lot of other kids around the same age on this thread, so you're DD will find plenty of friends!
jel - good to know - I didn't realize that they had redone the rules, but then we haven't had to look at the upper age limit yet. I know on the Wonder last summer, the Edge was 11-13 and the Vibe was 14 - 17 and our boys were 13 3/4 and turning 15 while onboard. We talked with the counselors and they agreed to let Zachary move up to the Vibe so the boys could be together. Zachary was happy because the Edge space on the Wonder was very small and not near as great as it is on the Magic. Also Nathan was not sure he wanted to go to the Vibe - when we sailed in 2010, he was still able to hang out in Ocean Quest plus they had lots of "Out and About" activities that they both enjoyed. He thought the Vibe would be "boring" which a bunch of teenagers who just wanted to listen to music and try to date each other. It turned out that was absolutely not the case - but having Zachary there to hang out with was a nice reassurance for him. Plus the counselors on the Wonder were great and said both boys were well behaved and respectful and considerate - always something you want to hear but especially when they've made an exception for you.

What was interesting is that when we went on the Carnival Dream in December, the tweens group was 12-14s and the teens were 15-17. Zachary was 14 1/4 while Nathan was 15 1/2 but we talked with the counselors and they allowed Nathan to move down to the tween group so he and Zachary could hang together - it was a "trial" and it worked fine. Their space is different than what they have on DCL and I wouldn't have asked to move down on DCL. Nathan is young for his age and several of the 14 y.o. boys looked more mature than he does, so it wasn't an issue. Again, we asked and the youth staff approved it.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: