Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #1621
Kouris_Family
Lovin the Magic

Naples

Anyone interested in sharing a car and driver with our family of 4?
We hired a driver to take us along the coast, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. We are using AP Tours which we used in 2007 and they did a fabulous job. We can fit 8 in our car and would split the price of 450 Euro. Maybe we can fit in time for a pizza?
Me: Kay, DH: Mark, DS (14) Christian, DD (10) Hannah
Our kids are really good travelers and respectful, let me know if you are interested.

7/7/07 11 Night Mediterranean MAGIC
6/29/08 Mexican Riviera WONDER
7/18/2010 Baltic Cruise MAGIC
1/21/2011 Cruise to Nowhere WONDER

4/10/2012 Double Dip, Bahamas DREAM

12/23/12 Club 33, Oh Yeah
6/27/2013 Back to the Mediterranean with a new flair MAGIC

5/17/14 Cruise to Nowhere Wonder
Kouris_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #1622
seaulater
FIRST TO MAGICALLY CROSS FROM KINGDOM TO KINGDOM AND FROM THE EAST TO THE MED!

Just got our stateroom assignment. We are in 6550. For the June 15th cruise we are in 6067 so at least we won't have very far to move for this one. Will love having the verandah for the overnight in Venice. Hopefully, we will be on the city side and get some great pictures.
Magic 2/12/99; 10/7/00; 12/18/04 (1st 10 day Christmas Cruise); 5/14/05 (1st Panama Canal Cruise); 5/12/07 (1st EB to the Med); 7/18/07 (Meditteranean); 11/17/07 (Thanksgiving Cruise); 5/10/08 (2nd WB Panama Canal Cruise);9/1/08 (5 night double-dip); 6/5/10 and 6/12/10 (Jamie's high school graduation cruise-3 weeks on the Magic!); New Year's Eve Cruise 12/29/10; 7/13/12 2 Night NY Cruise to No Where; 12/15/12 6 Night Cruise from Galveston; 6/15/13 Inaugural Cruise to Greece; 6/27/13 Inaugural Cruise to Venice 7/9/13 4 Night to Mallorca Spain; First on the Reimagined Magic 10/25/13 2 night cruise; Second on the Reimagined Magic 10/27/13 5 night cruise (displaced from 10/20); 12/18/13 (the emergency gallbladder surgery cruise); 3/28/14; 4/7/14; 6/26/14 Inaugural Cruise from Venice; 7/5/14 9 night cruise; 7/14/14 Inaugural Cruise Venice to Barcelona Wonder 3/23/00; 11/14/02; 9/4/05 (DVC Member Cruise) 9/17/06 (1st 11 Night); 10/22/06 (DVC Member Cruise); 4/5/07 (mom/dtr BD trip); 10/21/07 (DVC Member Cruise) and BTB 10/25/07; 2/28/08; 9/21/08 (DVC Member Cruise); 10/26/08 1st Don Ducky Williams Art Showcase Cruise; 4/9/09 mom/dtr BD trip); 8/13/09 (10 yr. Wonder Anniversary Cruise); 9/13/09 (DVC Member Cruise); 11/25/09 (Thanksgiving Cruise); 4/15/10 (Jamie's 18th birthday 4/16 cruise with dinner in Palo's); 4/27/11 Repo from Long Beach to Vancouver; 5/3/11 Disney's First Alaska Cruise; 8/30/11 Last Alaska Cruise for the season!; 4/29/12 First cruise to Hawaii!; Easter 4/18/14
Dream Maiden Voyage 1/26/11; 4321 Cruise 11/8/12; DVC Member Cruise 8/24/14 Fantasy Maiden Voyage 3/31/12;Birthday Cruise 5/10/14
seaulater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #1623
Yensidfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaulater View Post
Just got our stateroom assignment. We are in 6550. For the June 15th cruise we are in 6067 so at least we won't have very far to move for this one. Will love having the verandah for the overnight in Venice. Hopefully, we will be on the city side and get some great pictures.
Hi neighbor ... We just got our room assignment for this cruise. We are next door in stateroom 6548. Man, we are going to be sick of each other after these 28 days. LOL

Pete & Faith
Yensidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1624
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaulater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensidfan View Post
Hi neighbor ... We just got our room assignment for this cruise. We are next door in stateroom 6548. Man, we are going to be sick of each other after these 28 days. LOL

Pete & Faith
Yay for cabin assignments - that makes things seem even closer, doesn't it? i'll update you on the FE list in just a minute, so FE participants, be sure to note the updates.

We are having to move next door from 6114 to 6116. We definitely have to hang out together on "moving day"

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #1625
klar
Earning My Ears

Hi Kouris Family,

What time is your tour in Naples? All day?
klar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #1626
Kouris_Family
Lovin the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klar View Post
Hi Kouris Family,

What time is your tour in Naples? All day?
8 am to 4:30, all aboard is 5:30 so a good 8 1/2 hours
last time the driver was right there waiting for us when we got off the ship.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1627
klar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouris_Family View Post
8 am to 4:30, all aboard is 5:30 so a good 8 1/2 hours
last time the driver was right there waiting for us when we got off the ship.
Do you have any interest in going to Pompeii?
klar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1628
Kouris_Family
Lovin the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klar View Post
Do you have any interest in going to Pompeii?
No, we've been there and it is awesome, if you haven't been there you should if you like ruins. Our kids would be bored out of their minds.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #1629
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, we've been there and it is awesome, if you haven't been there you should if you like ruins. Our kids would be bored out of their minds.
We did Pompeii as part of the Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii for families in 2007. Pompeii was the end of the excursion so it was hot and the kids were tired. They were ages 11 and 9 1/2 at the time. This year they have taken Latin I in high school (they have the class together even though they are in different grades) and the setting for their lessons has been Pompeii. They have learned a lot about Pompeii in class. They specifically asked to go to Pompeii this time but ONLY if that was all we did - so since DCL has a half-day Pompeii excursion, we've signed up. I'm glad they are interested and now they have more context for it - they will be 17 and 15 1/2 when we visit.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1630
Kouris_Family
Lovin the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We did Pompeii as part of the Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii for families in 2007. Pompeii was the end of the excursion so it was hot and the kids were tired. They were ages 11 and 9 1/2 at the time. This year they have taken Latin I in high school (they have the class together even though they are in different grades) and the setting for their lessons has been Pompeii. They have learned a lot about Pompeii in class. They specifically asked to go to Pompeii this time but ONLY if that was all we did - so since DCL has a half-day Pompeii excursion, we've signed up. I'm glad they are interested and now they have more context for it - they will be 17 and 15 1/2 when we visit.
For sure if your kids are learning or have learned about it you need to go. Mine are 14 & 10 definitely not something they would want to do. Pompeii is super cool and probably even better if you know the history. I want to hang out at the beach , drink lemoncello and eat gelato, shop a little. Pizza, need to get pizza this time from Naples, one of those "I wish I would have's"

Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #1631
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We were booked on the Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii excursion. It looked really interesting to me, but when I talked to a local guide, we said they would NOT offer that trip to us as it would be too much for the short time we have their. They said we woudn't really get to enjoy much of each place. So we decided to cancel it. But I am still kind of wondering about it. What were your thoughts of the excursion?

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #1632
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
We were booked on the Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii excursion. It looked really interesting to me, but when I talked to a local guide, we said they would NOT offer that trip to us as it would be too much for the short time we have their. They said we woudn't really get to enjoy much of each place. So we decided to cancel it. But I am still kind of wondering about it. What were your thoughts of the excursion?
I agree with the local guide. The ferry to/ from Capri as well as the bus ride to Sorrento/Pompeii will take up most of your day. I would chose Sorrento/Pompeii and leave Capri for your next visit. To us Capri was nice but unless you are rich and famous it has the same appeal to us as Monaco. Loved Sorrento just for the relaxed feel coupled with the scenic beauty. "La dolce vita" is true and you will have it after your tour of that historical coastal tour.
carpenta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #1633
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For sure if your kids are learning or have learned about it you need to go. Mine are 14 & 10 definitely not something they would want to do. Pompeii is super cool and probably even better if you know the history. I want to hang out at the beach , drink lemoncello and eat gelato, shop a little. Pizza, need to get pizza this time from Naples, one of those "I wish I would have's"
We are planning to go get pizza after we get back from Pompeii. Our excursion time says it ends at 1:30. Gydell and her grandson are on the same excursion and as it turns out, she was planning to go to the same pizzeria we picked out, so we're going to head up there together. Seems like there are a couple of other DISers also thinking about joining us. That was the one thing I "wished I would have" after our visit to the area last time.

Quote:
We really enjoyed the excursion, but it was a lot for the children. We did the hydrofoil to Capri in the morning and then over to Sorrento for lunch, then a bus ride to Pompeii, about 2 hours in Pompeii, and the bus ride back. We got back in time for all aboard but not by much - definitely a full day. The heat in the afternoon was difficult for the kids. The lunch in Sorrento was our favorite lunch that cruise, and we loved seeing so much of the countryside. The olive groves were fascinating to see with the netting underneath the branches to catch the olives and keep them from bruising on the ground. In Capri, we did a boat tour as part of the excursion that took us around to look as some of the rock formations and coral, but then we didn't have much time on the island - not enough to take the funicular to the top, but we did a little bit of shopping right in the port area.

The port area in Capri:

The rock formation in Capri:

My favorite shop in all of Italy (Cindy - LOL):

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
I agree with the local guide. The ferry to/ from Capri as well as the bus ride to Sorrento/Pompeii will take up most of your day. I would chose Sorrento/Pompeii and leave Capri for your next visit. To us Capri was nice but unless you are rich and famous it has the same appeal to us as Monaco. Loved Sorrento just for the relaxed feel coupled with the scenic beauty. "La dolce vita" is true and you will have it after your tour of that historical coastal tour.
I would have rather had more time in Sorrento as we only really had time to eat lunch and then go to the shop where they make inlay boxes and such. It was cool but since it was our first cruise in Europe, I didn't feel comfortable breaking off from the main group during "free time" at the shop to go see what else we might see in another shop in the area.

Here's where we had lunch in Sorrento:

Oh my - he was so young:

Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #1634
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Cindy, thanks for that!

What we have booked right now with a private guide is a tour of Pompeii, hike up Mt. Vesuvius and then lunch and tour/free time in Sorrento. So, I think that will be perfect for us!

Then we take the hydrofoil back to Naples.

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #1635
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cindy, thanks for that!

What we have booked right now with a private guide is a tour of Pompeii, hike up Mt. Vesuvius and then lunch and tour/free time in Sorrento. So, I think that will be perfect for us!

Then we take the hydrofoil back to Naples.
That sounds fun - one thing I would mention though is to have a back-up plan for transportation back to Naples in case the seas are such that the hydrofoil won't go - that happens from time to time. The nice thing about the hydrofoil is that it is just steps away from the ship

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: