Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
CoolDisneyKitten
Not like other sheep, arrr!

Time for Jiko!

We were originally planning to have Flying Fish for dinner tonight, but since we just went to the Boardwalk for Kouzzina our first night, we decided to swap our Flying Fish and Jiko nights. We made a 7:55 ADR while sitting at lunch today, and we eagerly awaited a delicious dining experience.

We were NOT disappointed!!

We only had to wait a few minutes before being seated, and our server, Jeff, soon came over to offer us water and talk a little about the menu. We ordered everything all at once--which we usually don't like to do--but whatevs.

Jeff soon brought us the bread service.

There are two types of bread--caraway seed and honey wheat. The butter is tamarind spice. The butter has a nice savory flavor, and it was delicious with the honey wheat bread. The caraway seed bread has a slight spicy/salty flavor, and it's definitely good, too, but I just love the honey wheat!

For our starter we had the African-spiced fire roasted chicken flatbread.

Yum yum. The menu says, "four cheeses, bacon, arugula, peppadews and zough." The chicken was spicy, it was super cheesy, and the arugula provided a green, acidic contrast to all the cheese and the bacon. I have no idea what zough is, but the whole thing was drizzled with a sort of vinegar-y pesto looking sauce. Maybe that was it?

Our entrees came while we were still eating the flatbread, so we brought the last few pieces back with us.

ordered her favorite, the grilled wild gulf shrimp curry.

It's described as, "with citrus-coconut basmati, vegetables, and Durban curry sauce." Mom LOVES this dish. The shrimp have a nice grilled flavor that comes through just before you get hit with that bam of coconut and spiciness. It's not too spicy, but it has a nice kick. She likes the green peas in it, too. I say bleck to green peas, but it's her dinner, not mine! She said this dish is one of her favorite meals on property.

I got something new for me, the braised beef short rib.

The menu says, "truffled potato puree, pearl onions, baby carrots, and cabernet-tamarind sauce." I'd read good things about this dish, so I decided to give it a try. WOW, was it good! Mom encouraged me to get something besides the carrots, b/c I hate cooked carrots, but when I combined a bite of carrot w/ a bite of meat and potatoes, it was delicious! Oh, also it had tiny shoestring green apple on top, which was a wonderful contrast to the rich meat. The sauce was really different, sweet and savory and just plain GOOD. I ate every single bite!! (except the onions...)

For dessert, had the orange scented vanilla cheesecake.

It had a chocolate graham crust and a cranberry amaretto compote. Mom didn't like the compote; she said it was bitter. She doesn't like anything coffee flavored. She said the dish was maybe the best cheesecake she's EVER HAD. It was really light, and the orange was wonderful.

I had the "one last cup."

Described as "Tanzanian chocolate and Kenya coffee flavored mousse with cinnamon mascarpone, nutty chocolates, and 'hot chocolate'." I can't even...oh man...this was so frakkin delicious! The "hot chocolate" was basically like a bittersweet chocolate sauce that I dribbled over the light, airy, amazing mousse. I couldn't taste the coffee in it, but Mom could, and she said it was too much coffee flavor for her. Oh well--more for me! The "nutty chocolates" were, as far as I could tell, little cubes of white chocolate, the ones that look like marshmallows. I didn't detect any nuts. This dessert was incredible, and I know it's one I'll be dreaming about.

Overall, Jiko was amazing. We had great service, fantastic food, a good table...what more could you ask for?! Yeah, it's expensive, but it's one of those occasional indulgences that's worth every single penny. We'll definitely be back!

Tomorrow: a bunch of QS, and Cape May for dinner.

Until then, happy eating!

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF
CoolDisneyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
disfencer
Earning My Ears

I've been trying to find a picture of the curry shrimp entree at Jiko for such a long time, and now you posted it. And it looks even better than I imagined--even with my favorite, green peas! Not joking.

Okay, now I officially have to go to Jiko after reading your review.

And Sanaa too, that looks so amazing.

Maybe I should just move to AKL.

I hope you guys are having fun in WDW! Keep up the awesome review!
disfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
CoolDisneyKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfencer View Post
Maybe I should just move to AKL.
I know, right?! The food here is so good, even the QS!

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
CoolDisneyKitten

Cape May for non-seafood eaters

Today we planned to go to DHS, but it was rainy and gray all day, so we just spent a lazy day in the room watching the lazy animals poke around the savanna. We had Cape May dinner ressies at 6:25, so around 5:45 we headed to the Beach Club.

We checked in, and had no sooner found seats in the lobby than our buzzer went off. We were taken to a BOOTH (amazing, but true) right across from the buffet. Great table, b/c we didn't have to fight our way through crowds to get to the food, and we watched the chefs bring out all the fresh stuff, so we could jump up and get it.

My first plate...

Pasta, green beans, beef tips in spicy tomato sauce, corvino sauteed in butter topped w/ breadcrumbs, mashed potatoes, and mac n cheese. The pasta was decent; I got a little more later since some was put out just as I got up there. The green beans are always yummy, and the mashed potatoes are some of the best ever. The fish was good. The beef tips thing was ok; I needed rice with it.

My second plate...

A bit more pasta, like I said, but I only ate a couple of bites this time, roast beef, fish nuggets, a roll, and more mashed potatoes. I ended up trading my roast beef w/ Mom, b/c mine was super thin and really rare, which she likes, and hers was thicker and less rare, which I like. The fish nuggets were really good; always hot and fresh. The rolls are amazing. They'd be great as just ordinary rolls, but they've been brushed w/ some sort of herb butter on top, and they're fantastic.

Mom's main plate...

Green beans, roast beef, corn bread, seafood pasta salad, and fish nuggets. She also really liked the fish nuggets. She said the cornbread was good, too. Later she went back and got mashed potatoes and more fish nuggets.

My dessert plate...

Strawberry cheesecake, a cupcake, and a chocolate chip cookie. The strawberry cheesecake was not great; I only took one bite. The cupcake was good, the best part being the light, not-too-sweet icing. I ate two. The cookie was also surprisingly good; it tasted like a real cookie, not like something from a bag.

Mom's dessert plate...

Cookie, key lime tart, oreo bonbons, and a cupcake. She ended up giving me the cupcake (hence my 2) and only ate half the cookie. She loves the oreo bonbons, but she said the key lime tart was maybe the best thing she had all night. She went back and got another one.

Overall, we really enjoyed our second dinner trip to Cape May. As you might've noticed, we didn't eat any of the shellfish, but we still had a delicious meal. They also had ribs and grilled chicken tonight, but we didn't try either of those. Even if you don't like seafood, Cape May is a great choice.

I know a lot of ppl on these boards say they don't like buffets, but this isn't like your typical buffet place at home. The food portions are really small, and they're constantly being refreshed--believe me, I was sitting right by the kitchen! The food is always hot and fresh, and the place is spotlessly clean.

Oh, for all you Doctor Who fans: they had flan on the dessert buffet, but I decided to forgo fish nuggets and custard tonight!

Tomorrow we're going to try DHS again, and our only ADR is for dinner at Boma.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your reviews. We've never tried Cape May for dinner as although I like fish, I'm not a huge shellfish fan but it looks pretty good, and there seems to be plenty of choice for the non seafood eaters too.

Sept 11 - 21 Days of DxDDP Dining Review

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #21
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying your reviews so much. Great pics and descriptions of the food. I am so glad you are doing this. I never was interested in Sanaa's menu, but now must try it. Funny, I have eaten at Cape May two or three times, and never noticed they had so much non-seafood. I love the crab legs.
You sound like you and your mother travel very well together and have a wonderful time. That is great.
Just wondering, do you use TIW or DDP or any discounts? You haven't mentioned pricing and "value" which is so nice. Seems like most of the reviews and people's reponses to questions on the DIS are based on dining plans. Your review seems to be really based on the food. Very refreshing. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #22
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great reviews so far. The Mint Bliss sundae from Ghirardelli is my absolute favourite and, I agree, their hot fudge sauce is the best

I have seen so many positive reviews of Yak and Yeti lately, we had decided to try it for ourselves in August. Sorry your experiences haven't been great.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

great photos and great reviews..
Thanks for taking the time to do this...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Thank you for the reviews! Can't wait for more.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

I've really enjoyed all your reviews so far. It's making me hungry! Can't wait for more.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #26
CoolDisneyKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews. We've never tried Cape May for dinner as although I like fish, I'm not a huge shellfish fan but it looks pretty good, and there seems to be plenty of choice for the non seafood eaters too.
We've really enjoyed Cape May both times we've had dinner there. We don't really like shellfish, either (except shrimp), but there's tons of other stuff. We didn't even go on the salad bar side! Or have any soup, which is unusual for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
Just wondering, do you use TIW or DDP or any discounts? You haven't mentioned pricing and "value" which is so nice. Seems like most of the reviews and people's reponses to questions on the DIS are based on dining plans. Your review seems to be really based on the food. Very refreshing. Thank you.
We're DVC members and AP holders, and we've done both TIW and DxDDP before. This time, we're just doing either DVC or AP discount where it applies, and otherwise paying plain ol' OOP. None of the dining plans are a good fit for us: we aren't really into QS, and the DxDDP was WAY too much food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great reviews so far. The Mint Bliss sundae from Ghirardelli is my absolute favourite and, I agree, their hot fudge sauce is the best

I have seen so many positive reviews of Yak and Yeti lately, we had decided to try it for ourselves in August. Sorry your experiences haven't been great.
We're actually planning *another* trip to Ghirardelli before we go home! We had Beaches and Cream last night and decided we might like Ghirardelli better. It was a really, really tough decision, so we need another taste test!

We read a lot of good Y&Y reviews around here, too, which is why we decided to give it another try. Our service was excellent, and all of our food was hot and fresh...it just didn't have the flavor we were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
great photos and great reviews..
Thanks for taking the time to do this...
Thanks for taking the time to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
I'm in! Thank you for the reviews! Can't wait for more.
More coming up in a jiff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
I've really enjoyed all your reviews so far. It's making me hungry! Can't wait for more.
Hooray! Food reviews should always make you hungry! Thanks for reading.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
CoolDisneyKitten

DHS, Boma, cocktails, oh my!

We're kinda all over the map today, kids. Let's start at DHS....

We had some toast in the room, and then headed for the Studios. We saw that the wait times for RnRC and ToT were pretty long, so Mom got us fast passes for RnR and I headed for the tower. After getting repeatedly dropped down elevator shaft like a couple of mentally deranged masochists, we decided we were hungry.

We had some confusion over hot dogs...and ended up at Starring Rolls, where we were sorta planning to go anyway. I immediately grabbed a chocolate chip muffin, and then wished I hadn't when I saw the other choices. Anyway, we ended up with a bunch of stuff, most of which we brought back with us.

For me, a sandwich.

It's turkey, lettuce (which you can see I removed), mozzarella cheese, a mix of peppers, and pesto sauce. This sandwich was really good! I was very pleasantly surprised. The turkey was delicious, and all the ingredients were a great combo. Next time I go, I'm gonna get the sandwich and a cupcake and skip the rest.

Mom, the smarty, got a marble cupcake.

She thought it was good. She said it wasn't anything super-duper-magnificent, but she liked how the two types of icing were different textures; it made it more interesting.

We also got...

A cinnamon roll, a cheese Danish, that muffin I was telling you about, and the chips that came w/ my sandwich. We brought all of this except the chips back to the room with us. I ate the muffin, and it was ok. Just a plain ol' muffin. Like I said, wish I'd gotten something else instead. We haven't eaten the cinnamon roll or the cheese Danish yet.

A while later we went to Backlot Express and Mom got a hot dog. The hot dog itself was good, but the bun (as has been discussed ad infinitum here on yon DIS) was cardboardish. Boo.

We left DHS right about closing time and headed for AKL. Our ADR for Boma was at 8:20, so we stopped by the lounge for a while. I wanted a martini that was on the menu at Jiko, but our very nice bartender, Dustin, said he couldn't make that one b/c he didn't have all the ingredients for it. He suggested I get a Striped Lemur instead.

It has...a bunch of stuff...and ice cream...and he adds vanilla vodka to it, he said, to give it an extra kick. It kicked, all right. I've had this drink before, but it isn't actually on the menu anymore (that I could find), so I was glad to have a good bartender!

Mom's drink, also pictured, was a Super Fruit Margarita from the standard drink menu. There was something in it she wasn't crazy about, or maybe, she said, she didn't like it w/ the salt, but once the ice melted she said it was better and she finished it off.

This is getting a bit long, so I'm gonna do a new post for Boma...brb!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Just found your TR - loving it !

Will read the entire thread tomorrow.

Thanks.

dvc at last ! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
CoolDisneyKitten

Boma! (for reals this time)

I checked us in at Boma at 8, our ADR was 8:20, and they buzzed us at 8:19. Not too shabby. We also got a great table actually INSIDE the boma! Normally we're at one of those little two-tops shoved up against a column or something.

As always, we started out with soup.

The curry coconut chicken stew is one of our favorites. It's sweet and spicy, with tons of big chunks of chicken. Mom ate her bowl and then the remains of mine, too. This is her favorite soup.

I also got the Tanzanian crab soup.

Ok, um. This is not normally something I say about food, b/c I consider myself an adult and not a 5-year-old, but this soup was nasty! I was expecting something like She Crab Soup, but with a different spice profile. Uh uh. The crab taste was overpowering, and it was incredibly salty. I like crab. I like crab soup. I like fried softshell crab, crab legs, crab in my sushi...but the flavor of the crab in this soup was...I can't even describe it. I honestly can't believe a chef tasted this soup and thought, "Awesome! Soup's on!" It was terrible. I had to eat a whole slice of pita to get the flavor out of my mouth.

Anyway, moving on.

My first plate...

Mac and cheese, carved strip loin, basmati rice with mater paneer on it, ancho bbq ribs. Sigh. First of all, they've changed the mac and cheese. This tasted like Stouffer's, and while I do like Stouffer's mac and cheese, that's NOT what they serve at BOMA!! I was incredibly disappointed. The meat was ok; it felt like it wasn't nearly as herby/flavorful as in the past. I didn't like the mater paneer, which is paneer cheese in tomato sauce w/ peas. It was too spicy for me tonight. The ribs were pretty good; I liked the sauce mixed with the mac and cheese.

Mom's plate...

Carrot ginger soup in the bowl. On the plate, ribs, mashed potatoes, and peanut rice. The carrot ginger soup was way too sweet for her, and she only took one bite. She loved the mashed potatoes, and we both went back for more. The peanut rice is one of her favorite things at Boma, and she liked it mixed with the potatoes, too.

My dessert plate...

A zebra dome, chocolate cinnamon mousse, and butterscotch banana bread pudding. You might remember from my Tusker House review that I love this pudding. The one tonight at Boma was even better than the one at Tusker House; it was smoother. The zebra dome was way sweeter than I remembered, but the cinnamon chocolate mousse was heavenly.

Mom's dessert...

Caramel cheesecake, zebra domes, cinnamon chocolate mousse, and peanut butter mousse. She loves zebra domes, and she also liked the cinnamon chocolate mousse. She said the peanut butter mousse and caramel cheesecake were "ok."

Sigh. Ok, guys, this is gonna be REALLY hard for me to write.

I love Boma. I always list it as one of my favorite restaurants on property. It's a must-do for us. Tonight, however, I was disappointed. I wasn't feeling 100%, so maybe it was mostly me, but...the best things I ate were mashed potatoes and bread pudding!! That's insane, y'all. I mean, truly bug nuts. I enjoyed Cape May last night quite a bit more than Boma tonight, and I never, ever thought I'd say/type/think those words.

I'm really hoping this was just an off night--though WHY CHANGE MY MAC AND CHEESE?!?--and next time we visit things will be back to normal.

Tomorrow we have Le Cellier for lunch and Flying Fish for dinner, and I guarantee a visit to Boulangerie Patisserie!

Last edited by CoolDisneyKitten; 01-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #30
twinkles
Mouseketeer

Great reviews! Thanks for taking the time to post

We may have to give Sanaa a try.
twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: