Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
jimmy339
Earning My Ears

Pop Century or All Star Movies???

I've stayed at All Star Sports once and All Star Movies 4 times and i love All Star Movies but...im looking to get back to the world in September 2013 and have been thinking about trying Pop Century, what would you guys choose and why? Pop keeps working out less expensive but i know ASMo so well and like it so much, will Pop be a disappointment?

1997 - All Star Sports 2000 - All Star Movies 2002/3 - All Star Movies 2006 - All Star Movies 2011 - All Star Movies 2014 - Pop Century
jimmy339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
disneynut11
Mouseketeer

i do not think you will be disappointed. Have stayed there twice and find it the same as All Stars. Pop is more centrally located.
disneynut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Pop has a better food court with more choices (be sure to try the grilled flatbreads.) But Pop is larger, making it LOUDER and more crowded in the food court during peak times. If you haven't stayed at Pop before, you should try it! BTW my personal fave is ASMu!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
TabithaCaine
Earning My Ears

We stayed at Movies a few years ago, and I probably would have just gone with it again for this upcoming trip - except that it's not included in the "Spring Room Only" promotion. So I've been going back and forth between Music and Pop, talking to friends and researching a bunch on here (I read all 142 pages of the Pop thread). And today I just booked us at Pop! The themes look fun, I've heard that the food court is better than the All Stars, and I like that the buses only stop at Pop (although buses are hard to predict, no matter what). So, while I haven't been there yet, I'm thinking I made the right decision.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
PudgetteD
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at all 4 values and Pop is definately our favorite. We love the theme, all the big icons from our childhood make for great remeniscing. Our kids love making fun of our childhood toys! The food court is great and has lots of choices, everyone is sure to find something.(cheesesteak wrap is great but really garlicy and big enough for 2 to share) We like the hippy-dippy pool, however, we like the computer pool better as it's much quieter. It can be really noisy, especially in the preferred rooms because of the proximity of the main pool and also because the CMs power wash the pool area starting at about 6 AM every morning. If you want a quieter section, the 50's building is much calmer and still pretty close to the food court. The bus lines can get quite crowded in the AM but we've never had to wait too long for a bus. Going back to Pop from parks at night is also crowded at close, but that's definately not unique to Pop. The staff does the hustle and twist and guests are welcome to join, it's fun. There are games at the pool. We've never had a less than wonderful experience at Pop and will definately stay there again. What ever your decision, you'll have a great vacation!
PudgetteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We loved pop but also love movies. It's hard to choose which I like better. Since we just went last year to movies, we decided to go back to pop next month. Now that someone here mentioned the food court having more variety at pop, I do remember this! Movies food court was definitely fine though....however, I'm a big oj lover for breakfast and was disappointed that movies didn't have any in the fountain area where you could fill up your refillable mug. You can buy a bottle from the cooler though. Anyway....not that big a deal but that's really my only "complaint".

Look up the menus and you can see pop has more variety.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

We've at ASMo before but last time we stayed at POP. I wish I never switched. We did not like POP at all. It was so crowded- the buses were terrible- we didnt think the food court food was that good and the beds were hard. Next time we're going back to ASMo.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Scubee
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at POP twice (last time was Oct last year). POP is a large resort so if you aren't in the preferred, there's a wee bit of walking to get to the buses and food court.

The food court...I shudder. It is our least favorite part about POP. Breakfast in the food court can be busy! We are a breakfast family and we couldn't stand dealing with the crowd and the noise. The selection is great though. We either planned breakfast elsewhere (Tusker House, Crystal Palace, etc) or I made a run and brought food back to our room.

Other than that, we really enjoyed the decor and the pools. Since you've stayed at Sports and Movies you know what the room is like.
Scubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I stayed at ASMovies once but just for a short whirlwind 3 ngiht stay so not much time at the resort. We had a standard room in the Herbie section which I thought was fine.

I stayed at ASMusic once in a family suite in the Jazz section. While this was a longer trip it was a trip with Tropical Storm Fay and we got 12" of rain in 24 hours. The very day this hit they put up detours so that we couldn't walk through the main building to get to the busses because they were redoing the tile floor. That sort of left me with a bad impression of the place. I know they have to do repairs during someone's trip but they really couldn't wait a day or 2?

I've stayed at Pop 7 times and have really enjoyed it. I don't tend to have issues with the food court at breakfast because I like to be there right at 7am when they start serving hot food. One thing I do like about Pop's food court is that all the food is in the food court so if I want to buy a meal and say a 1/2 gallon of milk I can do all that right there. Other resorts tend to have larger size items in the gift shop only.

I am going back in May and couldn't get the bounceback deal on a prefered room at Pop so I booked a prefered room at ASMovies. Hoping for Dalmations. My DD hasn't stayed there yet so she's excited to give it a try. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much as Pop.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: