Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1456
MichaelH
DIS Veteran/Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
When we disembark, we are heading straight to the airport for an afternoon or evening flight to the UK.

The DDs want to visit the Harry Potter studios... any suggestions on where to stay would be great!

Thanks!

By the way, I printed out the pages for the pre-cruise stuff from our TA at Dreams Unlimited. It's so nice and exciting!
We are flying into London pre-Cruise. We booked the Novotel at Blackfriars. Rate was not bad and all four could get one room DW, DS, DD, and myself. Hope that gives you a place to look at. Also the London Walks tours has a Harry Potter tour. You can look up their tours online. We did them back in 2000 and they are great tours.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #1457
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Well, I tried getting set up with everlater.com for doing our trip report and while I can set it up on the computer, the app doesn't let me even log in. It looks like they've sold themselves to Mapquest, too, so I am bummed about that because it looked like such a wonderful opportunity to do something fun with trip reporting. I did see where they are stopping making books from trips, too.

So I looked for other apps and sites but didn't find anything that I wanted, so I decided to go ahead and just do it the old blogspot way. I started today and here's the link if anyone is interested, although you all know way more about it than the intended readers I do like that I can upload pictures and text by email to the site which is what I wanted to have the capability of doing - so I can compose email without having to be connected to the internet and then whenever we happen to have connectivity, then I can upload it. We'll be sharing the link with family and friends when it gets a little closer.

In the meanwhile, I've begun the long spell of work work work to be able to have enough leave to cover the days we'll be gone! Thankfully it's our busy season and I have the work to do. The boys have no days off til the end of March when they have spring break - this will be the first year in ages that we haven't gone to WDW - I will especially miss the Flower and Garden Festival.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #1458
CasaMartinez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PrincesseInTow View Post
Last summer we had an inflatable booster seat and it worked very well for us. They weren't selling them in the US at the time so we ordered it from www.easycarseat.com and had it delivered to the hotel in BCN. Now it looks like they sell them via www.goboosterseat.com in the US. We take it with us on all of our trips. It fits in the outside pouch of the suitcase so we just throw it in before we check the bags and easily take it out and inflate it when we get there.

Sara
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know they had inflatable boosters. My youngest DS is 5 and I never feel comfortable not having a seat for him. I usually travel with a booster so it will be much easier with the inflatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23 View Post
Don't know if this helps (or perhaps you already know about them) but in addition to our converters we bought these great multi device charging stations made by ZONE Electronics that roll up to the size of a cardboard paper towel roll for packing. I found them at CVS for $10 a piece just before our last trip to Europe and figured it wouldn't hurt to try. They are awesome! We bought them almost 2 years ago, have used them on every vacation since and they are still working great.

We've never been to Barcelona so I don't know how abundant the outlets are in their hotels, but in our tiny room in Paris and B&B in Rome they only had 1 outlet. Using our 2 charging stations (plugged in to our 2 converters) we were able to charge 3 iPods and 3 cell phones at once each night and then only had to charge our cameras batteries separately (only because our cameras are older and don't have a USB plug). They can each charge up to 4 devices at once (depending on what type of ports you have) and have a little baggie inside the storage compartment with adapters to match your device. On our Fantasy cruise we added a Kindle and iPad Mini to our charging needs and were still covered. If your local or other local drug store doesn't have them maybe Amazon or eBay would or something similar for less than Sharper Image prices.
Thanks for sharing this. When I went to the Med in 2010 I remember having to constantly switch back and forth so I could charge our phones, camera, iPad & kindle. Looks like this will solve most of that and that I just need to worry about the camera. I found it at eBay for $16 but it still seems worth it.
*Disney Wonder: 7-Day California Coast (September 30, 2012)
*Disney Dream: 5-Day Bahamas/Double Dip (July 13, 2012)
*Disney Wonder: 10-Day Mexican Riviera (April 17, 2011)
*Disney Magic: 11-Day Mediterranean (May 23, 2010)
CasaMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #1459
BobandLee
Proud Parrothead with Mouse Ears

Probably been asked before, but when does DCL is the earliest to take flight out?

xxx
x
The color of the ships at the water line is DARK BLUE. Always has been. Always will be.
BobandLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1460
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandLee
Probably been asked before, but when does DCL is the earliest to take flight out?
I think DCL says 12:30...but not sure. Our flight is at 11:20 and we were told it would be OK and just to make sure we are assigned the earliest disembarkation time. Still unsure if we should use DCL transfers/taxi/etc...
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #1461
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2

I think DCL says 12:30...but not sure. Our flight is at 11:20 and we were told it would be OK and just to make sure we are assigned the earliest disembarkation time. Still unsure if we should use DCL transfers/taxi/etc...
I would arrange private transportation from port to airport so you don't have to wait for buses to load or other passengers who might delay you.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #1462
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom

I would arrange private transportation from port to airport so you don't have to wait for buses to load or other passengers who might delay you.
I agree and I would walk off with your luggage and not have DCL pick it up the night before because you may have to wait for it.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #1463
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Thanks! Good point! I'm calling my TA tomorrow to PIF and I was thinking about transfers....now, I'll have her look into arranging private transport vs taxi for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
I agree and I would walk off with your luggage and not have DCL pick it up the night before because you may have to wait for it.
and Thanks! I wouldn't have thought it would even be an option to keep your luggage, instead of putting it out the night before.

Many thanks for the help!
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #1464
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
We're flying to London right after disemarkation too. We're using points to fly so we're connecting in Geneva before landing in London. UGh.

I just came back from London and I went to the Harry Potter studios. It was fantastic. We spent over 3 hours there and then some time in the gift shop. I'd go there again if I had the time.
Thanks for the information. Is there a place in London we should stay so that our trip to the studios would be easier?

Thanks!

Geri
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #1465
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
We are flying into London pre-Cruise. We booked the Novotel at Blackfriars. Rate was not bad and all four could get one room DW, DS, DD, and myself. Hope that gives you a place to look at. Also the London Walks tours has a Harry Potter tour. You can look up their tours online. We did them back in 2000 and they are great tours.
Thanks, Michael. I will check into that tonight and book it.

Everyone is getting excited.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #1466
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
Thanks for the information. Is there a place in London we should stay so that our trip to the studios would be easier?

Thanks!

Geri
The easiest way to get to the Warner Bros Studios Tour is to take a train or, if you're not in a hurry, the London Overground (it's the Underground but above ground... uh..yeah) to Watford Junction. At Watford Junction, there's a Doubledecker shuttle bus that takes you to the studios. I think it was £1.50 per person. Takes you directly there. When you want to come back...just reverse your journey. The trip to Watford Junction may cost a bit though ... it's in zone 8 or something like that. I think it cost us £8 one way to get from there to Paddington Station (we used the Overground/Underground because it was snowing and the trains were, shall we say, less reliable. You won't have that problem in June!) We actually took a minicab to the studios because of a snowstorm and we were starting from outside of London. In case you're curious, it was £58 from Slough/Windsor to Watford Junction. We splurged but we're glad we did because of the snow. Train to Watford Junction is at Euston Station. Overground/Underground to Watford Junction is ... well, also Euston but just make sure it's not the train station station.

I assume that you're going to see more in London than just the studio tour so I'd just stay somewhere that's close to the sights and the Underground. Maybe something near Euston. There seem to a few, not many, hotels that have 2 double beds .... I'd book them soon though. I had trouble finding twin rooms for my brother and I at a reasonable price.... hence we're paying a really unreasonable price.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1467
mehaul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
We did the London Walks HP tour in 2010. The kids really enjoyed it.
mehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #1468
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
I agree. It's so much quicker. We will be just taking carry-on this time. Easier.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #1469
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
The easiest way to get to the Warner Bros Studios Tour is to take a train or, if you're not in a hurry, the London Overground (it's the Underground but above ground... uh..yeah) to Watford Junction. At Watford Junction, there's a Doubledecker shuttle bus that takes you to the studios. I think it was £1.50 per person. Takes you directly there. When you want to come back...just reverse your journey. The trip to Watford Junction may cost a bit though ... it's in zone 8 or something like that. I think it cost us £8 one way to get from there to Paddington Station (we used the Overground/Underground because it was snowing and the trains were, shall we say, less reliable. You won't have that problem in June!) We actually took a minicab to the studios because of a snowstorm and we were starting from outside of London. In case you're curious, it was £58 from Slough/Windsor to Watford Junction. We splurged but we're glad we did because of the snow. Train to Watford Junction is at Euston Station. Overground/Underground to Watford Junction is ... well, also Euston but just make sure it's not the train station station.

I assume that you're going to see more in London than just the studio tour so I'd just stay somewhere that's close to the sights and the Underground. Maybe something near Euston. There seem to a few, not many, hotels that have 2 double beds .... I'd book them soon though. I had trouble finding twin rooms for my brother and I at a reasonable price.... hence we're paying a really unreasonable price.
This is so helpful! I started my research last September and became overwhelmed.

I will start looking at these locations tomorrow.

This makes our trip-planning after the cruise much more fun.

Thanks!

Geri
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1470
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Attention: cruisers with food allergies and medical necessities

Hi, Everyone!

Just a reminder to those who have food allergies, please remember to send DCL your food allergies list and any necessary information.

I learned my lesson from our med cruise 3 years ago when planning for our meals. My 2 DDs and I have food allergies (some severe). So, I sent a form to the DCL with regards as to what I can and cannot eat.

I realized that the food supplies on our Med Cruise Aug 2010 were not as "diverse". They informed me that on our next European cruise to start 3 to 4 months early in planning.

That way, they have everything ordered and shipped in the TransAltantic ship Eastbound.

I was too late.

Also, if you need to refridgerate any medication or milk (rice or soy), you can have them bring a fridge into your room.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: