Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1261
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
I just checked to see when we could start making shore excursion reservations and it's March 2nd for us, so I put it on the calendar for March 1st so I won't forget. I love that's a Friday night / Saturday morning so staying up late to book won't be such a hardship. For our Venice cruise, we'll be up late Wednesday night / Thursday morning.
I am jealous we book Thur/Friday if we were still gold we will be the Fri/Sat that you have. If this wasn't a first for some of the ports I would wait until the am however I want to make sure we get the excurisons and days for Palos we want. Sue
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
No cruises planned for 2014
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #1262
CJCPixieDust
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehaul View Post
I would not let the museum closure stop you from going to Florence. There is plenty to soak in without seeing "the David". It's one of my favorite cities.
Thanks for the advice! It seems so far away from the port and we are still trying to decide private tour vs. Disney excursion (if we could even get the one we want). Although, most days at home, I drive 2 hours and since we'll already be in Italy, it seems to make sense to go to Florence.

CJCPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #1263
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
I posted this on the FB page, but for those of you not there:

Guess what I got today???

Dining rotations! Nothing fancy...see below, they just rotate:

1. LAP
2. APL
3. PLA

And they confirmed that the 1st sea day (right after Rome) is Formal night, Pirate night is Mykonos, and Semi-formal is the night after pirate night.

I was also told...nothing official on when the stinking excursions would be posted, no idea on the cost of the photo CD, and there will be Tuxedos available to rent.
What do folks think about the LAP dining rotation? I understand that the PLA one gets you in Lumieres on the formal night…however, I didn't like the idea of our first Animators night on the same night as La Spezia. We have the main dining and it looks like we have a late all aboard time in La Spezia. Since we are going to be exploring Cinque Terra on our own, I would hate to rush back to so we don’t miss our first Animators show. We are DCL-newbies, but I think I read somewhere that the first time you dine at Animators is when they do the color change, etc. Our son will be 4 and I was thinking he would enjoy that. The LAP would mean we would still get Lumieres on the semiformal night… thanks - jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #1264
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2

What do folks think about the LAP dining rotation? I understand that the PLA one gets you in Lumieres on the formal night…however, I didn't like the idea of our first Animators night on the same night as La Spezia. We have the main dining and it looks like we have a late all aboard time in La Spezia. Since we are going to be exploring Cinque Terra on our own, I would hate to rush back to so we don’t miss our first Animators show. We are DCL-newbies, but I think I read somewhere that the first time you dine at Animators is when they do the color change, etc. Our son will be 4 and I was thinking he would enjoy that. The LAP would mean we would still get Lumieres on the semiformal night… thanks - jen
I think your son would love the animators show. We should make sure they are doing it that night. Sometimes if there is a late boarding time in a port they change the show nights. Thats a good question to ask though. We have 12 nights so its a little easier to move things around

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #1265
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post
Since we're not planning to go to formal night, we don't have a preference for our rotation. But I did want to say that in our experience, DCL has pushed back the start tmie for main dining when we've left port later in the day (like after 6 p.m.) That doesn't mean they will this time, but they do seem to want to accommodate guests! I will also say that we've had a rotation where our first time in Animators was NOT the night they do their color change.

So we already know when formal night, semi-formal night, and pirate night are, and we know the last night will likely be the Til We Meet Again menu. So that gives us 8 other nights to figure out

We are also doing Cinque Terre on our own from La Spezia.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1266
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
I think your son would love the animators show. We should make sure they are doing it that night. Sometimes if there is a late boarding time in a port they change the show nights. Thats a good question to ask though. We have 12 nights so its a little easier to move things around
Good point, I didn't think about that they might change the evenings around.

I just called DCL. I don’t think I got the most knowledgeable CM - although, it was sort of complicated to explain what I was asking so it could definitely have been my fault as well. He basically told me that the Animators show was the same every evening on the classic ships so it wouldn't matter which night we dined at Animators, the special effects would be the same. I feel like that isn't what I have read on the DIS boards but having never been, I don’t know. Thinking maybe I should have had my TA call….oh well.

Anyway, I requested the LAP rotation just so I don’t have to worry about potentially missing the Animators show. While I am sort of bummed we’d have formal night in Animators as well with the LAP rotation, I think my family will be happier seeing the Animators show vs eating in the fancier restaurant on formal night.

On a different topic, does anyone have experience with the Blue Grotto/Fishing village port adventure in Malta? It looks reasonably priced when compared to going there on our own. I was sort of surprised that DCL doesn't offer any port adventures with snorkeling/beaches in Malta. It sounds like Malta is know for having some of the best snorkeling and diving in the Med.

thanks, jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #1267
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2

I just called DCL. I don’t think I got the most knowledgeable CM - although, it was sort of complicated to explain what I was asking so it could definitely have been my fault as well. He basically told me that the Animators show was the same every evening on the classic ships so it wouldn't matter which night we dined at Animators, the special effects would be the same. I feel like that isn't what I have read on the DIS boards but having never been, I don’t know. Thinking maybe I should have had my TA call….oh well.

Anyway, I requested the LAP rotation just so I don’t have to worry about potentially missing the Animators show. While I am sort of bummed we’d have formal night in Animators as well with the LAP rotation, I think my family will be happier seeing the Animators show vs eating in the fancier restaurant on formal night.

On a different topic, does anyone have experience with the Blue Grotto/Fishing village port adventure in Malta? It looks reasonably priced when compared to going there on our own. I was sort of surprised that DCL doesn't offer any port adventures with snorkeling/beaches in Malta. It sounds like Malta is know for having some of the best snorkeling and diving in the Med.

thanks, jen
You're correct, it doesn't sold like the understood your question. While they always have the same decor and lighting in Animators, there is always one designated "show" night. I will try and call when I get home from work and see if they know yet. They may not have determined the night yet. I know Disney had a lot of new customer service reps of late and not all them have been giving correct information.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #1268
CJCPixieDust
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post

thanks, jen
Hi Jen- I almost requested LAP to have formal night in Animators! Animators is my favorite- with or without the show. I think it's actually kind of cool to have formal night in the "black & white" of Animators. However, since I requested that in the past, I requested rotation 3 and aimed for Lumiere's for formal night. You can't go wrong either way. We also don't know when the full Animators show is- would be cool if it was more than once. You're going to have an amazing time- there is nothing like DCL!

CJCPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #1269
colemame
Earning My Ears

Fish Extenders

Can someone help me out with the FE gifts? I know the general idea of them but I was wondering if on this cruise we are going to have any guidelines for it? Or is it do what you want type of deal? I am very excited about doing this my boys will go nuts over it and love the idea of having a small part in making it fun for other families as well. Any thoughts are welcome!
colemame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #1270
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemame View Post
Can someone help me out with the FE gifts? I know the general idea of them but I was wondering if on this cruise we are going to have any guidelines for it? Or is it do what you want type of deal? I am very excited about doing this my boys will go nuts over it and love the idea of having a small part in making it fun for other families as well. Any thoughts are welcome!
We haven't really discussed it, but I'm planning on a "do what you want" type of deal We will be bringing something for each family that signs up for the FE.

I also just emailed our TA to see if she'd check with DCL about the theme nights for dining - so if I get a reply back before I'm offline for the day, I'll post it. I want to know so I'll know which nights I can get my creme brulee cheesecake!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #1271
Meum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
Thanks Cindy, DH is working on our FE that gives the dates/ports time in/out for the ship. It will be a luggage tag so folks can attach it to their day bag. It has been handy in on past cruise. Lots of work so we hope everyone likes them! Also please do not duplicate our idea for this trip or DH will be mad at me for sharing!
what a cool idea! wow, i guess i better start thinking about what i'm going to do

see ya, marianne
Disney Magic Mexican Riveria Cruise 2005
Disneyland Tokyo 2006
Disneyland Hong Kong 2006
Disney Magic Westbound Trans Atlantic Cruise 2007
Disney Magic Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise 2008
First time DVC visit to Grand Californian Villas 2010
Disney Magic Inagural Northern European Capitals Cruise 2010
Meum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #1272
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

If I recall from our Baltic cruise .... On the really late ports dining is normal. In Berlin, my daughter and I had our waiter to ourselves, everyone else was still in Berlin. Also,in St. Petersburg, we missed dinner both nights. We missed a special Scandinavian meal, but that was it!
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1273
Meum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGirl View Post
If I recall from our Baltic cruise .... On the really late ports dining is normal. In Berlin, my daughter and I had our waiter to ourselves, everyone else was still in Berlin. Also,in St. Petersburg, we missed dinner both nights. We missed a special Scandinavian meal, but that was it!
but didn't you also miss our company i thought they did something different when we were in st. petersberg. i just looked back at the navigators from that trip (they are just waiting to go into a scrapbook) and the day we arrived in st. petersburg our dinners were an hour earlier than normal. but i have no idea why other than that i agree with mjgirl that they were all normal.

see ya, marianne
Disneyland Tokyo 2006
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #1274
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meum

but didn't you also miss our company i thought they did something different when we were in st. petersberg. i just looked back at the navigators from that trip (they are just waiting to go into a scrapbook) and the day we arrived in st. petersburg our dinners were an hour earlier than normal. but i have no idea why other than that i agree with mjgirl that they were all normal.

see ya, marianne
Of course I missed my table mates! Missed them so much that I'm willing to cruise with them again! Thankfully they are willing to cruise with me to!
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #1275
Meum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGirl View Post
Of course I missed my table mates! Missed them so much that I'm willing to cruise with them again! Thankfully they are willing to cruise with me to!

it's going to be so fun to be together again!!! are we going to be at a large table again???? looking through all my stuff from the baltic cruise was so weird, made it feel like we were just there

see ya, marianne
Disneyland Tokyo 2006

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: