Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #811
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
Hi All. I'm sorry to say that we'll be jumping ship (pun intended) and won't be joining everyone next summer. We moved over to NCL. We were doing B2B with the Venice and with NCL we could do a Greek and W Med from Venice for half the price of DCL and upgraded into a balcony and the ports are a little better fit for our B2B needs.

Happy sailing to everyone, and if you see NCL in the same port I hope the Capt will blow the Mickey horn so we'll have a taste of Disney!
Sorry to see you go, but certainly understand! We are using DVC points for this half of our B2B.

Regarding airfare, on Monday morning our flights were $1,444 (ATL to BCN on Delta, nonstop, redeye). Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday, they were $1,464. This morning and this afternoon, $1,426. I told DH that if it ever hits $1,400 or under, we're buying at that very moment! If we were returning a day sooner, it would be $1,406 so I'd like to see it drop to that or less before we pull the trigger and buy air on our own.

DCL wants $1,818. If we go on our own but still want to do DCL transfers, that's $90/each. Plus additional insurance for the separate purchase of the flights is about $50/ticket (depending on which company and amount of coverage we get). So $1,818 - $90 - $50 = $1,678. So at $1,446, that's $252 per ticket savings times 4 people = $1,008 savings. Yep, definitely worth doing on our own! That covers our pre-cruise DCL hotel stay and should cover most of our expenses for being in BCN for those two nights ahead of time. Or we could say it covers our tips for the two cruises (almost).

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #812
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212
Hi All. I'm sorry to say that we'll be jumping ship (pun intended) and won't be joining everyone next summer. We moved over to NCL. We were doing B2B with the Venice and with NCL we could do a Greek and W Med from Venice for half the price of DCL and upgraded into a balcony and the ports are a little better fit for our B2B needs.

Happy sailing to everyone, and if you see NCL in the same port I hope the Capt will blow the Mickey horn so we'll have a taste of Disney!
Oh wow.... So you will be sailing back to back for 20+ days???
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #813
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Sorry to see you go, but certainly understand! We are using DVC points for this half of our B2B.

Regarding airfare, on Monday morning our flights were $1,444 (ATL to BCN on Delta, nonstop, redeye). Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday, they were $1,464. This morning and this afternoon, $1,426. I told DH that if it ever hits $1,400 or under, we're buying at that very moment! If we were returning a day sooner, it would be $1,406 so I'd like to see it drop to that or less before we pull the trigger and buy air on our own.

DCL wants $1,818. If we go on our own but still want to do DCL transfers, that's $90/each. Plus additional insurance for the separate purchase of the flights is about $50/ticket (depending on which company and amount of coverage we get). So $1,818 - $90 - $50 = $1,678. So at $1,446, that's $252 per ticket savings times 4 people = $1,008 savings. Yep, definitely worth doing on our own! That covers our pre-cruise DCL hotel stay and should cover most of our expenses for being in BCN for those two nights ahead of time. Or we could say it covers our tips for the two cruises (almost).
Sorry to see gotme leaving.... Like you folks we are using DVC points. Some folks dont agree with us using our points for cruises. It works for us especially the cash flow issue! Of our soon to be 10 cruises we have only paid for 3 of them the rest we have used our DVC points.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #814
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired mom of 3 boys
We left in October 2005 - I come back for a week every year in Feb/Mar to work "in house" for tax season and do the rest from here. We'll have to stay in touch as the cruise gets closer and I know my dates for the 2013 trip. Am also an obsessive planner - have my binder going now....
Let me know! Would love to meet in person! In the last 6 months, the old ford dealer was torn down, we got s donut shop, 2 frozen yogurt shops, and a bakery....

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #815
tinkagain
Earning My Ears

facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
I don't think so.
I'm just curious about how a facebook page is helpful compared to the meet thread here on DIS? I know more and more meet groups are going to facebook in addition, but I've never understood how it's helpful besides being able to see faces and that people tend to work on their handhelds vs computers (although the DIS's app for iPad/iPod is really easy to use...not sure if there is an android version, anyone know?).
The reason I like the facebook page is that it was a closed group so everyone did not see your posts as I do not like to broadcast when I am away and it seemed easier to follow the posts.
tinkagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #816
tinkagain
Earning My Ears

american airlines airfares

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrmatt View Post
re: the high taxes

British Airways, Iberia, and I'm sure some others pass one of the fuel taxes on transatlantic flights directly onto the consumer specifically on award tickets. For me to use my miles to fly on either of those airlines is ~$300-400 per person, each way, along with the massive amount of frequent flier miles.

On the contrary, if I fly on American, I pay $5 per person, each way with the same amount of frequent flier miles. No brainer there... But harder to find availability. Right now we have one ticket DCA-JFK-BCN and one DCA-MIA-BCN, and unknown whether we'll be able to get them together.
I was looking at American also from LAX but it was going to cost us $600 per person if used 60K miles or $300 per person for 90K miles or $10 if using 110K miles. Boy I had no idea the fees would be so much!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #817
Lyrah
I do believe in Fairies!

Hi All! We'll be joining you on this cruise! We're Jeff, Charyl Lee, DD Paige 18, and DD Jade 15.

Since we're going on the Fantasy in Nov and that cruise is quite costly due to having 3 verandah staterooms, we had to get in on this cruise with a 11B GTY. My reasoning is that I would rather be in an inside stateroom than not go at all I was wondering if I could get some reassurance from fellow cruisers who have stayed in inside staterooms before, that I have made the right choice. We usually are only in our rooms to shower and sleep, but we really enjoy having our morning coffee, the view, and late night quiet time on the verandah.

I'm hoping that on the Nov cruise that I'll be able to rebook a different room and get the discount and stateroom credit, but it looks as though there aren't many rooms left.

Thanks for the help, and we look forward to cruising with you.

Western Caribbean Cruise - Nov 2009
Mediterranean Cruise - May 2010
Caribbean Holiday Cruise - Dec 2010
Mediterranean Cruise - Jun 2011
Dream Cruise to the Bahamas - Nov 2011
Caribbean Cruise - Nov 2012
Mediterranean Cruise - Jun 2013
Lyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #818
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrah View Post
Hi All! We'll be joining you on this cruise! We're Jeff, Charyl Lee, DD Paige 18, and DD Jade 15.

Since we're going on the Fantasy in Nov and that cruise is quite costly due to having 3 verandah staterooms, we had to get in on this cruise with a 11B GTY. My reasoning is that I would rather be in an inside stateroom than not go at all I was wondering if I could get some reassurance from fellow cruisers who have stayed in inside staterooms before, that I have made the right choice. We usually are only in our rooms to shower and sleep, but we really enjoy having our morning coffee, the view, and late night quiet time on the verandah.

I'm hoping that on the Nov cruise that I'll be able to rebook a different room and get the discount and stateroom credit, but it looks as though there aren't many rooms left.

BFF is going on this cruise with us and her first time without a veranda for exactly the same reason. She has done some research and has found the actual room not to be much smaller that the 5c that she usually books. She did not want to be on deck 2 and was able to book deck 5 right across from us. You will be fine. Welcome to the group! Sue
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #819
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrah

Our first Med Cruise was in an inside cabin and we always say its our favorite cruise. You'll be ok. You won't want to stay in your room anyway.

Have fun!

Last edited by tajz90; 08-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #820
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkagain View Post
The reason I like the facebook page is that it was a closed group so everyone did not see your posts as I do not like to broadcast when I am away and it seemed easier to follow the posts.
That was kind of what I was thinking too... but it sounds like folks aren't really fans.. I was just thinking it would be a way to help keep info organized or easier to sort through than the, already 50+ pages, pages here.

Quote:

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]I had my heart set on a verandah room as well but just couldn't justify the cost difference....and had the same thought as you -- I would rather be on the cruise than sitting at home! I know the chances are slim, but I keep hoping for upgrade opportunities! [/COLOR]
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #821
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Lyrah - welcome to the cruise! Because this is a pretty port-intensive cruise, you should be fine without a balcony. And like others, I'd rather be in an inside cabin than not on the ship at all

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #822
tinkagain
Earning My Ears

Cat 11

We are also in an inside room for this cruise. I have been in verandah rooms, porthole rooms and inside and it really does not matter to me as long as I am on the ship. You really do not spend much time in the room and especially on a cruise like this one. You will be just go go go and when you are in your room you will be so pooped you will sleep! Welcome to the Cat 11 group!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #823
Tired mom of 3 boys
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Let me know! Would love to meet in person! In the last 6 months, the old ford dealer was torn down, we got s donut shop, 2 frozen yogurt shops, and a bakery....
I love the way Pioneer has been updated.... They broke ground when I was there in 2011, so it was nice to see it done in 2012. I'm very happy that I can still get my coffee at the Whidbey Coffee on Pioneer! (Little scary that they remember my chai latte order when I'm only there for a week each year!)
Tired mom of 3 boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #824
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired mom of 3 boys
I love the way Pioneer has been updated.... They broke ground when I was there in 2011, so it was nice to see it done in 2012. I'm very happy that I can still get my coffee at the Whidbey Coffee on Pioneer! (Little scary that they remember my chai latte order when I'm only there for a week each year!)
Hahaha! Gotta love the small town!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #825
scubadiver
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles

Quote:

Welcome to the bat caves!!!

We have been in an inside stateroom for a Panama Crossing, Alaskan and Hawaiian cruise, and have 1 booked for a Thanksgiving cruise, as well as this cruise. We love it and have not even considered anything but the bat caves.

July 2015 N. Europe 12 nt-Magic;
Christmas 2014 AKL; June 2014 WL; June 2014 E. Carribean - Fantasy; May 2014 SSR (precruise);
Thanksgiving 2013 SSR; June 2013 Mediterranean (Turkey/Greece) - Magic; Spring Break 2013 March/April BLT/AKL Concierge
Thanksgiving 2012 Carribean Cruise - Magic; July 2012 AKL; April 2012 Hawaii - Wonder; April 2012 Disneyland (precruise)
Thanksgiving 2011 SSR; July 2011 OKW; June 2011 Alaskan Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 Panama Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 OKW
Thanksgiving 2010 Treehouse Villas; June 2010 4-Day Bahamas Cruise-Wonder; June 2010 BWV
Christmas 2009 SSR; June 2009 OKW
Thanksgiving 2008 SSR; July 2008 OKW
Thanksgiving 2007 AS Mo; Feb 2006 Disneyland; Feb 2005 CBR; March 2001 AS Mo; March 1999 AS Sports; March 1998 AS Sport; March 1996 Off Site;
July 1990 Off Site 1st time w/wife 2B
scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: