Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #511
mehaul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
So.... anyone struggling with pre or post cruise plans? We are a family of 4 and of course it is very difficult to find a hotel room that sleeps 4 and is affiliated with Marriott. I have some points I wanted to use where I get 5 nights in a hotel room plus airfare for 2. There isn't anything in Barcelona. So, I started looking at other cities. I found some in Paris, London, etc... We went to London in 2010 so, we don't want to do that city again. Paris is an option but then, I have to pay for the flight from Paris to Barcelona. So, has anyone stayed in a different City than the port city before the cruise? I'm thinking now it will need to be 6 nights before cruise if we stay in a different city (5 nights in one city and then, 1 night before the cruise as I don't want to fly the same day as the cruise departs). When we did the our 1st Mediterranean with Disney we just did a day before the cruise and day after all in Barcelona. When we did the Baltics cruise we did 5 nights in London before the cruise. I was trying to cut down cost and time by not having to travel far. Any advice???
5 nights in Barcelona is definitely overkill. Last summer before the Med cruise we went to Edinburgh prior to the cruise. We spent 5 nights there and flew into Barcelona that AM. We met the couple who was sitting next to us at dinner throughout the cruise at Baggage claim at BCN.
You might consider Madrid.
mehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #512
2PrincesseInTow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So.... anyone struggling with pre or post cruise plans? We are a family of 4 and of course it is very difficult to find a hotel room that sleeps 4 and is affiliated with Marriott.
We stayed 4 in the room at Le Meridien (Marriott) in BCN but my kids were only 5 and 9. The room we had was very small. It was fine before DH arrived but when he arrived the night before the cruise it was good it was only one night.

If you can stay in Paris, I'd do that in a minute. I found rooms in Paris to be very expensive. We stayed there post cruise on Hilton points. If you go to Paris, check out Paris Muse tours. They are pricey but fabulous. The train would be great, the only thing is that on the trains I've taken in Europe you have to bring your bags on with you and there wasn't a ton of space to store them. We took Vueling Airlines from BCN to Paris (a southwest type). Even after I paid for extra luggage it was much less than a big name airline. Plane was clean and looked new and service was fine.

I would highly recommend Cook and Taste in Barcelona if you're interested in a cooking class. I took my DD's and even though they were the only kids they had a ton of fun. Remember when you look at the price that you eat what you cook and wine flows freely.

Good luck! Sara
2PrincesseInTow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #513
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PrincesseInTow View Post
We stayed 4 in the room at Le Meridien (Marriott) in BCN but my kids were only 5 and 9. The room we had was very small. It was fine before DH arrived but when he arrived the night before the cruise it was good it was only one night.

If you can stay in Paris, I'd do that in a minute. I found rooms in Paris to be very expensive. We stayed there post cruise on Hilton points. If you go to Paris, check out Paris Muse tours. They are pricey but fabulous. The train would be great, the only thing is that on the trains I've taken in Europe you have to bring your bags on with you and there wasn't a ton of space to store them. We took Vueling Airlines from BCN to Paris (a southwest type). Even after I paid for extra luggage it was much less than a big name airline. Plane was clean and looked new and service was fine.

I would highly recommend Cook and Taste in Barcelona if you're interested in a cooking class. I took my DD's and even though they were the only kids they had a ton of fun. Remember when you look at the price that you eat what you cook and wine flows freely.

Good luck! Sara
Le Meriden is a starwood property.

I'll check out Vueling airlines. I was looking at them for Malaga to Barcelona but I didn't check out the Paris to Barcelona prices.

I'll check out Cook and Taste too. Thanks for all the tips.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #514
2PrincesseInTow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Le Meriden is a starwood property.
Oops! Sorry.
2PrincesseInTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #515
scubadiver
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles

Pre cruise stays

I just booked 7 nights prior to our sailing in Tarragona at Onagrup Club Jardines Paraisol through RCI. We just need to decide if we want to stay after the cruise or fly home. Speaking of fly....need to get that airfare to and from Europe. Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive airlines?

July 2015 N. Europe 12 nt-Magic;
Christmas 2014 AKL; June 2014 WL; June 2014 E. Carribean - Fantasy; May 2014 SSR (precruise);
Thanksgiving 2013 SSR; June 2013 Mediterranean (Turkey/Greece) - Magic; Spring Break 2013 March/April BLT/AKL Concierge
Thanksgiving 2012 Carribean Cruise - Magic; July 2012 AKL; April 2012 Hawaii - Wonder; April 2012 Disneyland (precruise)
Thanksgiving 2011 SSR; July 2011 OKW; June 2011 Alaskan Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 Panama Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 OKW
Thanksgiving 2010 Treehouse Villas; June 2010 4-Day Bahamas Cruise-Wonder; June 2010 BWV
Christmas 2009 SSR; June 2009 OKW
Thanksgiving 2008 SSR; July 2008 OKW
Thanksgiving 2007 AS Mo; Feb 2006 Disneyland; Feb 2005 CBR; March 2001 AS Mo; March 1999 AS Sports; March 1998 AS Sport; March 1996 Off Site;
July 1990 Off Site 1st time w/wife 2B
scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #516
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Sad to say we decided to jump ship... I'm 99% sure we'll be sailing with RCCL and NCL after I confirm with our travel insurance we can change cruises. I was trying to find something that minimize travel time as I didn't want to go to multiple airports. I was able to find two cruises that sailed out of Rome that hit the Italian ports and the Greek ports (most of the ports are similar to Disney's but not exact). Both cruises are 7 nights each and we have a 3 night break inbetween to visit Rome a little more extensively. We really enjoyed the Rome port on our last Disney cruise and wish we had more time there. So, this kinda just worked out for us. I was really surprised that the NCL cruise is with one of their newer ships that has rock climbing wall, tons of speciality restaurants, Blue Man Group Show, the slide for everyone including adults, etc... We are really excited about the cruises. I'm a little scared of RCCL as the ship rooms aren't as visually appealing as Disney's or NCL's Epic (frankly of the pictures I seen online the rooms look like prison cells--the coloring is very muted) but I was able to get balcony on both ships for $2000 less than our oceanview room on Disney. I wasn't really comparing prices because other cruiselines definitely have extra charges. It will be interesting to see if they really come out cheaper than Disney. Don't worry we aren't dropping Disney Cruises out of our lineup forever. We are going on the Turkey cruise on the Fantasy in November. We own DVC so Disney is always on our mind. Anyways, hopefully, you all have a wonderful trip!!!
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #517
gailg3horses
Mouseketeer

Bumping the thread back up, and also saying I'm looking around as well. I have always wanted to do a Disney cruise in Europe, but unless they drop the price as they have in the past, we may wind up on another line as well. That saddens me to say that.... but with the change in employment and all, I may have to. For now though, we're still here.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #518
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sad to say we decided to jump ship... I'm 99% sure we'll be sailing with RCCL and NCL after I confirm with our travel insurance we can change cruises. I was trying to find something that minimize travel time as I didn't want to go to multiple airports. I was able to find two cruises that sailed out of Rome that hit the Italian ports and the Greek ports (most of the ports are similar to Disney's but not exact). Both cruises are 7 nights each and we have a 3 night break inbetween to visit Rome a little more extensively. We really enjoyed the Rome port on our last Disney cruise and wish we had more time there. So, this kinda just worked out for us. I was really surprised that the NCL cruise is with one of their newer ships that has rock climbing wall, tons of speciality restaurants, Blue Man Group Show, the slide for everyone including adults, etc... We are really excited about the cruises. I'm a little scared of RCCL as the ship rooms aren't as visually appealing as Disney's or NCL's Epic (frankly of the pictures I seen online the rooms look like prison cells--the coloring is very muted) but I was able to get balcony on both ships for $2000 less than our oceanview room on Disney. I wasn't really comparing prices because other cruiselines definitely have extra charges. It will be interesting to see if they really come out cheaper than Disney. Don't worry we aren't dropping Disney Cruises out of our lineup forever. We are going on the Turkey cruise on the Fantasy in November. We own DVC so Disney is always on our mind. Anyways, hopefully, you all have a wonderful trip!!!
Sorry to see y'all go but I certainly understand.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #519
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Sad to say we decided to jump ship... I'm 99% sure we'll be sailing with RCCL and NCL after I confirm with our travel insurance we can change cruises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailg3horses View Post
Bumping the thread back up, and also saying I'm looking around as well. I have always wanted to do a Disney cruise in Europe, but unless they drop the price as they have in the past, we may wind up on another line as well. That saddens me to say that.... but with the change in employment and all, I may have to. For now though, we're still here.
Sorry to see you both go! Life sometimes just gets in the way...!!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #520
gailg3horses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Sorry to see you both go! Life sometimes just gets in the way...!!
We haven't gone anywhere yet. Just thinking about it. I really want Dcl to offer great discounts so we can sail with them and all of you. We'll see.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #521
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailg3horses View Post
We haven't gone anywhere yet. Just thinking about it. I really want Dcl to offer great discounts so we can sail with them and all of you. We'll see.
Maybe...there still seems to be a lot of availability, but it'll be interesting to see what happens a year from now. Here's hoping!!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #522
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutychus View Post
Are Greece and Turkey safe areas?
No, it's horribly dangerous and YOU should not go there.

This is a spammer trying to sell their religious books.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #523
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eutychus View Post
Are Greece and Turkey safe areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
No, it's horribly dangerous and YOU should not go there.

This is a spammer trying to sell their religious books.
Are you sure? This poster has a grand total of four posts and none have been about selling anything.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #524
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Are you sure? This poster has a grand total of four posts and none have been about selling anything.

- Dreams
They had 7 posts this morning and one of them had the title of the book they were selling. It's gone now...

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #525
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

Quote:
I think you'll love them. We did RCCL in 2009 and my kids were younger (older 2 were 3 and 5.5yo), but they loved the amenities on the ship, and they sound very similar to what you are describing on NCL. If we didn't have young ones and want the all day, all the time childcare, we'd follow you in a heartbeat!

Is there a Facebook page for this group? My 6/8/13 cruise has one and the Fantasy Maiden Voyage group did, and I was way better at keeping up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: