Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #271
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMartinez View Post
I finally was able to book this cruise. It's me, DH, DS (9), DS (6) (at time of cruise). I was really surprised how expensive this one is. I guess we were really spoiled with the mega discount Disney put out for the Med cruise back in May 2010. Here's to hoping they will do something like that again. In the meantime, I can save up and hope that DH agrees on doing the trip.
Yay! My boys will be very excited to hear there are more on board! The 9 year olds seem to be well represented, but I'm happy to see another 6 year old!

I'm a little worried about how my youngest will do in the ports - he has always hated to walk! My oldest is the Energizer bunny and could go forever - especially if motivated by gelato or chocolate along the way! I am hoping that they will make it through the first few ports, then we'll maybe leave them in the kid's club for one or two. Hard to say what he will be like a year from now...
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 11 , DS 9

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #272
rossjen2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 78

Hi Everyone,
We are excited to take part in our first DCL trip (but 4th cruise overall but first with Disney). It will also be my husband and son's (4 at cruise time) first trip to Europe - and my son's first cruise ever!!!

We are currently booked in a 11-GTY with *hopes* that the rates go down at some point so we can afford a nicer room. I just couldn't justify the $5,000 more for the veranda at this point

I look forward to learning DCL tips and port excursion ideas from everyone over the next 16 months!
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #273
DL1957
DIS Veteran
 
DL1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post
Hi Everyone,
We are excited to take part in our first DCL trip (but 4th cruise overall but first with Disney). It will also be my husband and son's (4 at cruise time) first trip to Europe - and my son's first cruise ever!!!

We are currently booked in a 11-GTY with *hopes* that the rates go down at some point so we can afford a nicer room. I just couldn't justify the $5,000 more for the veranda at this point

I look forward to learning DCL tips and port excursion ideas from everyone over the next 16 months!
Welcome soon you will be hooked to DCL! Even if you do not upgrade all of the staterooms are nice and you don't spend much time in them anyway especially on a cruise like this one. When we are in port you will be off the ship sun up to sun down! Sue
__________________
DCLStarted in 1999 became Platimum in September 2012! 1st Panama Canal, 1st Med, 1st Balitic, 1st LA to Vancouver repo, 1st Alaska, 1st to Greece & Turkey!
DCL
Western Carribean 1st time on the Fantasy May 2015
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #274
rossjen2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
Welcome soon you will be hooked to DCL! Even if you do not upgrade all of the staterooms are nice and you don't spend much time in them anyway especially on a cruise like this one. When we are in port you will be off the ship sun up to sun down! Sue
Thanks Sue! That is good to hear - And yes, that is why we choose to go with the cheapest room, for now We figured on our typical vacations, we spend very little time in the room anyways - and it was the difference between going on the trip or not - so I can deal with it.
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #275
seaulater
FIRST TO MAGICALLY CROSS FROM KINGDOM TO KINGDOM AND FROM THE EAST TO THE MED!
 
seaulater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 5,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn G View Post
Wyoming will be represented as well as it is ever represented on these cruises - all 2 of us!
Yes, you and Scott will be Wyoming's official representatives and Jamie and I will handle Utah!
__________________
LINDA-51 CRUISES AND COUNTING! - DVC Member since 1994 OKW, also Saratoga and Animal Kingdom
Magic 2/12/99; 10/7/00; 12/18/04 (1st 10 day Christmas Cruise); 5/14/05 (1st Panama Canal Cruise); 5/12/07 (1st EB to the Med); 7/18/07 (Meditteranean); 11/17/07 (Thanksgiving Cruise); 5/10/08 (2nd WB Panama Canal Cruise);9/1/08 (5 night double-dip); 6/5/10 and 6/12/10 (Jamie's high school graduation cruise-3 weeks on the Magic!); New Year's Eve Cruise 12/29/10; 7/13/12 2 Night NY Cruise to No Where; 12/15/12 6 Night Cruise from Galveston; 6/15/13 Inaugural Cruise to Greece; 6/27/13 Inaugural Cruise to Venice 7/9/13 4 Night to Mallorca Spain; First on the Reimagined Magic 10/25/13 2 night cruise; Second on the Reimagined Magic 10/27/13 5 night cruise (displaced from 10/20); 12/18/13 (the emergency gallbladder surgery cruise); 3/28/14; 4/7/14; 6/26/14 Inaugural Cruise from Venice; 7/5/14 9 night cruise; 7/14/14 Inaugural Cruise Venice to Barcelona Wonder 3/23/00; 11/14/02; 9/4/05 (DVC Member Cruise) 9/17/06 (1st 11 Night); 10/22/06 (DVC Member Cruise); 4/5/07 (mom/dtr BD trip); 10/21/07 (DVC Member Cruise) and BTB 10/25/07; 2/28/08; 9/21/08 (DVC Member Cruise); 10/26/08 1st Don Ducky Williams Art Showcase Cruise; 4/9/09 mom/dtr BD trip); 8/13/09 (10 yr. Wonder Anniversary Cruise); 9/13/09 (DVC Member Cruise); 11/25/09 (Thanksgiving Cruise); 4/15/10 (Jamie's 18th birthday 4/16 cruise with dinner in Palo's); 4/27/11 Repo from Long Beach to Vancouver; 5/3/11 Disney's First Alaska Cruise; 8/30/11 Last Alaska Cruise for the season!; 4/29/12 First cruise to Hawaii!; Easter 4/18/14
Dream Maiden Voyage 1/26/11; 4321 Cruise 11/8/12; DVC Member Cruise 8/24/14 Fantasy Maiden Voyage 3/31/12;Birthday Cruise 5/10/14
seaulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #276
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post
Hi Everyone,
We are excited to take part in our first DCL trip (but 4th cruise overall but first with Disney). It will also be my husband and son's (4 at cruise time) first trip to Europe - and my son's first cruise ever!!!
I look forward to learning DCL tips and port excursion ideas from everyone over the next 16 months!
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #277
MJGirl
DIS Veteran
 
MJGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,100

I just remembered that when I went on my Med Cruise in 2007, I attempted to blog it. It was my first attempt, but I hope it helps. Here is the link

I also tried to blog my Panama cruise and my Baltic cruise. The internet on the ship wasn't too blog friendly, so I didn't get far

Didn't blog for Alaska, and probably won't on this cruise. Just find the internet too expensive and too slow on the ship.
__________________
Adventure by Disney: 2007 - City of Knights and Lights 2008 - Backstage Magic
Disney Cruise Line: 2007 - Med 2008 - Panama Canal EB 2010 - Baltic (Finland) 2011 - Dream MV, LA to Vancouver Repo, Alaskan 2012 - Hawaii 2013 - Med (Greece/Turkey)
Upcoming Cruises: 2014 - Two dummy cruises booked
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #278
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats
 
pxlbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond Hill, ON CANADA
Posts: 2,725

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGirl View Post
I just remembered that when I went on my Med Cruise in 2007, I attempted to blog it. It was my first attempt, but I hope it helps. Here is the link

I also tried to blog my Panama cruise and my Baltic cruise. The internet on the ship wasn't too blog friendly, so I didn't get far

Didn't blog for Alaska, and probably won't on this cruise. Just find the internet too expensive and too slow on the ship.
Last day of the itinerary but Malta has some free wifi spots at the Port. There's a British pub that has free wifi...and you can pick up another free wifi at other places in the port. LOL I went around with my iPhone trying to pick them up on our way back to the ship. On our 2011 cruise, Malta was our first stop.

Tis a pity that the excursion buses didn't have free wifi on them.
__________________
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #279
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern Bay Area
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaulater View Post
Yes, you and Scott will be Wyoming's official representatives and Jamie and I will handle Utah!
That's awesome! So far, we have a great representation from all states. We have never met anyone of Nebraska or South & North Dakota on our previous cruises.

My most memorable memories of Wyoming was when DH and I stopped in Afton, Wyoming. He had to have the best berry pie. We still talk about our trek from Salt Lake City through Idaho Falls. Then, we visited Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Afton, and Park City. We did it all in three days.

Thanks to everyone's ideas for hotels. I am going to work on it this weekend.

By the way, if you are taking Spanair or Halvan Airlines, they have completely closed and no longer in operation as of yesterday. I just read it. It stranDed over 7000 people.

Last edited by abayaflowers; 02-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #280
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern Bay Area
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
I'm a little worried about how my youngest will do in the ports - he has always hated to walk! I am hoping that they will make it through the first few ports, then we'll maybe leave them in the kid's club for one or two. Hard to say what he will be like a year from now...
For my DD7 who hates to walk in weather that is hot and humid, my DH and I split up for shore excursions in Rome. So, DH took DD7 on a hop-on hop-off (HOHO) bus. They were air-conditioned. Absolutely made the trip to Rome absolutely wonderful experience for her. Also, we made a game of everytime that she could make it to the next area e.g. Roman Colosseum, we found a gelateria to congratulate her.

Just an idea!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #281
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

Because of work schedules Barcelona will have to be post cruise, not pre-cruise, but the observations as to which it should be are interesting.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #282
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes
 
Lynn G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 3,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
That's awesome! So far, we have a great representation from all states. We have never met anyone of Nebraska or South & North Dakota on our previous cruises.

My most memorable memories of Wyoming was when DH and I stopped in Afton, Wyoming. He had to have the best berry pie. We still talk about our trek from Salt Lake City through Idaho Falls. Then, we visited Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Afton, and Park City. We did it all in three days.

Thanks to everyone's ideas for hotels. I am going to work on it this weekend.

By the way, if you are taking Spanair or Halvan Airlines, they have completely closed and no longer in operation as of yesterday. I just read it. It stranDed over 7000 people.
We lived in Jackson Hole for 25 years, now we are the other side of the state in Cheyenne. Glad you enjoyed your visit, if short, to Wyoming!
__________________
Lynn
Team Hakuna Matata
Lynn G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #283
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
MinnieDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Last day of the itinerary but Malta has some free wifi spots at the Port. There's a British pub that has free wifi...and you can pick up another free wifi at other places in the port. LOL I went around with my iPhone trying to pick them up on our way back to the ship. On our 2011 cruise, Malta was our first stop.
LOL! I did the same thing!
__________________



Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #284
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes
 
justhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
Yay! My boys will be very excited to hear there are more on board! The 9 year olds seem to be well represented, but I'm happy to see another 6 year old!

I'm a little worried about how my youngest will do in the ports - he has always hated to walk! My oldest is the Energizer bunny and could go forever - especially if motivated by gelato or chocolate along the way! I am hoping that they will make it through the first few ports, then we'll maybe leave them in the kid's club for one or two. Hard to say what he will be like a year from now...

My son will be 6yo on the cruise too. His birthday is 2 months after the trip so he'll be almost 7, which seeing in print is scary!

My older 2 were 3.5yo and 11 months the last time we did a DCL Med cruise, but we did the Baltic in 2010 when they were 6.5 and almost 4yo. We only had a stroller for the baby then, and the other 2 did fine walking. Granted, we lived in Washington, DC at the time, so they were both used to walking regularly, but my son was still young. They were both okay. The 6yo never once complained to my recollection (about walking that is, she had plenty of other complaints!!), and I think we only carried my son a few times and it was late at night.

I think, even if he's not a big walker, he'll be okay cause there are enough sea days to give him a break from port extensive days.
__________________
justhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #285
rossjen2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhat View Post

My older 2 were 3.5yo and 11 months the last time we did a DCL Med cruise, but we did the Baltic in 2010 when they were 6.5 and almost 4yo. We only had a stroller for the baby then, and the other 2 did fine walking. Granted, we lived in Washington, DC at the time, so they were both used to walking regularly, but my son was still young. They were both okay. The 6yo never once complained to my recollection (about walking that is, she had plenty of other complaints!!), and I think we only carried my son a few times and it was late at night.

I think, even if he's not a big walker, he'll be okay cause there are enough sea days to give him a break from port extensive days.
Just curious about what you and others have done regarding car seats/booster seats for your children on the flights and various modes of transportation in Europe? My son will be 4yrs2mths on the cruise....I've been thinking (and I know I have WAY too much time to figure it out) that at some of the ports, we might just grab a taxi or such and explore stuff on our own. While I know safety is of the most importance, the idea of lugging around a booster seat is not fun.
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: