Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #256
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boons View Post
Geri,
I noticed that you are from the Northern Bay Area. DW(Laura) grew up in San Jose and did her undergraduate work at the University of the Pacific in Stockton.
Bill
I, also, am from San Jose. What neighborhood (I lived in Evergreen) and how long ago did your wife live there?

kim

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #257
4boons
2000 DCL Vacation Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
I, also, am from San Jose. What neighborhood (I lived in Evergreen) and how long ago did your wife live there?

kim
Kim,

Laura graduated from Leland in 1980

Bill

1999 DCL Magic 3-night Bahamas <> 2000 DCL Marketing Video <> 2000 DCL Magic Thanksgiving 7-night Eastern <> 2001 US Independence 7-night Hawaiian Islands <> 2002 DCL Magic 7-night Western <> 2004 DCL Magic Spring Break 7-night Western <> 2005 DCL Magic 14-night Westbound Panama Canal <> 2007 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Panama Canal <> 2010 DCL Magic 12-night Baltic <> 2011 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> 2011 DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas <> 2012 DCL Wonder 7-night Pacific Coast <> June 2013 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> Booked Cruises <> Dec. 2014 DCL Magic 7-night Western Caribbean <> May 2015 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Transatlantic
4boons is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #258
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boons View Post
Kim,

Laura graduated from Leland in 1980

Bill
Mt. Pleasant 1992. Small world....

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #259
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynderella View Post
My DD will be 12 on the cruise. Not quite 13!
Hi, Lynn:

That's great! I will let my DD know. That pixie dust is great!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #260
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Mt. Pleasant 1992. Small world....
Hi, Kim:

I grew up in San Jose. I attended Trace Elementary School, and Hoover Jr. HIgh School. I also graduated from Presentation High School.

My grandfather's farm was bought out by the state so that they can build Independence High School.

What a small world!

Hi, Bill:

That's great! I bring out my Red Raider gear everytime a Longhorn, A&M, OSU, or any college games in the Texas & Oklahoma region play in TV.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the cruise.

To all:

I started my list and my Turkish friend told me that taking a Dolmus, a mini-bus, is the least expensive way to travel along the coast. She is so excited for my family. They are thinking about going, too!

Yeah!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #261
4boons
2000 DCL Vacation Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
Hi, Bill:

That's great! I bring out my Red Raider gear everytime a Longhorn, A&M, OSU, or any college games in the Texas & Oklahoma region play in TV.

To all:

Yeah!
I have to be careful. I did all my work at Texas Tech and Laura did her graduate work at Texas A&M. During football season we fly a flag that is 1/2 TTU and 1/2 A&M.

Now that Katie has been accepted to Kansas State, Oklahoma State and the University of Oklahoma I don't know what I am going to do.

Bill

1999 DCL Magic 3-night Bahamas <> 2000 DCL Marketing Video <> 2000 DCL Magic Thanksgiving 7-night Eastern <> 2001 US Independence 7-night Hawaiian Islands <> 2002 DCL Magic 7-night Western <> 2004 DCL Magic Spring Break 7-night Western <> 2005 DCL Magic 14-night Westbound Panama Canal <> 2007 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Panama Canal <> 2010 DCL Magic 12-night Baltic <> 2011 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> 2011 DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas <> 2012 DCL Wonder 7-night Pacific Coast <> June 2013 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> Booked Cruises <> Dec. 2014 DCL Magic 7-night Western Caribbean <> May 2015 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Transatlantic
4boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #262
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Hi, Kim:

I grew up in San Jose. I attended Trace Elementary School, and Hoover Jr. HIgh School. I also graduated from Presentation High School.

My grandfather's farm was bought out by the state so that they can build Independence High School.

What a small world!

Hi, Bill:

To all:

I started my list and my Turkish friend told me that taking a Dolmus, a mini-bus, is the least expensive way to travel along the coast. She is so excited for my family. They are thinking about going, too!

Yeah!
WOW! What a small world! Presentation and Independence both just down the road a ways. By any chance do you know Antipasto's Deli on McKee? My must-go to spot every time I go home. Calamari sandwiches every Friday!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #263
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Booking pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona

I read on another posting that a couple of families have already booked great hotels. My DH would like to stay in another part of the town in Barcelona. We stayed at Fira Hotel Barcelona, where we paid $150 a night. Was a great bargain and the room was huge. Our family liked it, because it was quiet and slept well.

So, I checked on Casa Camper, and the high-end Marriott's hotel... Well, it was beyond our nightly budget. I can't imagine spending almost $500 a night to stay pre- and post-cruise. Since we have 4 in our family, Casa Camper is requiring two rooms.

If anyone can send me some ideas for pre- and post-cruise. One of our main requirements are easy access to food. Transporation is a 2nd must. We used the taxi two years ago. Then, we also purchased a Hop-on & Hop-off bus pass.

Great way to see the city quickly.

Thanks for helping me plan out our pre- & post-cruise itinerary.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #264
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
I read on another posting that a couple of families have already booked great hotels. My DH would like to stay in another part of the town in Barcelona. We stayed at Fira Hotel Barcelona, where we paid $150 a night. Was a great bargain and the room was huge. Our family liked it, because it was quiet and slept well.

So, I checked on Casa Camper, and the high-end Marriott's hotel... Well, it was beyond our nightly budget. I can't imagine spending almost $500 a night to stay pre- and post-cruise. Since we have 4 in our family, Casa Camper is requiring two rooms.

If anyone can send me some ideas for pre- and post-cruise. One of our main requirements are easy access to food. Transporation is a 2nd must. We used the taxi two years ago. Then, we also purchased a Hop-on & Hop-off bus pass.

Great way to see the city quickly.

Thanks for helping me plan out our pre- & post-cruise itinerary.
We stayed at the Porta Marina. It was right by metro station and at the time there was a restaurant in the hotel and a bar down the street, but there was a lot of construction going on around it, so I don't know what's there now. It was about 6 blocks from the beach in an up and coming area. The price was about 150 and the rooms were huge (slept 4). We stayed there pre and post cruise. Don't know where we'll stay this time, since we may want to be more centrally located, however, you couldn't beat the price there and it was a nice hotel.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #265
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
No way... are you really from San Carlos, CA? So, am I. I grew up on Tamarack two house down from St Charles and Brittain Acres. I live in Sacramento and have been here since college. I haven't been home in years since nobody I know really lives there any more. What a small world? What street did you live on? I went to Brittain Acres, Central Middle School and Sequoia HS. San Carlos HS closed the year I started high school. My brother went there 3 years and finished his senior year at Sequoia.
Ok this is a small world. DH graduated from SCH in 1969 so a bit older than you. I went to St Charles School. My godfather lived on Elizabeth near Tamarack my husband was on Cordilleras. We lived on Greenwood until 11 years ago when we moved to Williamsburg VA! I still stay in San Carlos when I go home for at least opening day of baseball. Sue
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #266
joius24
Faith Trust and Pixie Dust...we can all use a little bit of magic.

Yay!

Okay....Jumpin in! Hi Everyone

Two Cruisers, booked our favorite inside sideways cabin on the day Gold could.... I did not transfer my June fantasy/magic b2b ...will just be selling my furniture to pay off this one off but who needs a dining table when you are dining on Disney!

It will be myself (Joi) and my DS ( Evan-17 at time of cruise).

We have not done a Med. but did the EBTA two years ago, it will be nice to see Barcelona again...didn't have enough time to do Guell Park... will make sure we see it pre-post cruise this time. (of course we found time to go to the chocolate museum ) The HOHO was great in Barcelona, cheap and easy.

I have never booked flights though Dis. and have always done better in price.
Excited to go back to Italy! I am a Renaissance Art lover for sure!

but... hate the amount of crime in Rome...will use precautions for sure. Last time I was in Italy a girl that was about 10 years old tried to pick my pocket as her little brother distracted me, the parents watched from a doorway nearby... scary and sad.

Sooooo Anyhow! I am psyched for this cruise! Love the ports and it WILL happen (being paid off by departure).... it always does!
Cruises: 2006 - 4 nt. Wonder...2007 Eastern Caribbean Magic...2008/9 New Years Western Caribbean ... April 2010 14 nt. Eastbound TransAtlantic Magic... August 2011...B2B Disney Dream.... June 2012 Fantastic Fantasy Voyage...and then hopping back to NY for a New England MAGICal adventure.... June 2013 The Wonders of Alaska!

Park Hopping: June 2014 TOKYO DISNEY HERE WE COME!... 2014 4 Days WDW and MY FIRST PRINCESS 5K!!... 2013 10 days WDW ....2011 Pre-cruise WDW...2011 Disneyland... 2010 WDW All Star Music ..:2009 WDW Pop Century...2006 WDW Pop Century ...2005-Disney Land(w/out DS)...1997-WDW
joius24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #267
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Joi, welcome to the group.

Here's a post from the main board about Barcelona hotels.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2870617

I had asked about where folks stayed and in the first post, there's a compiiled list - thought I'd share it here in case anyone was interested. We are leaning towards arriving on the 13th and doing an apartment for two nights.

We did the HOHO bus in 2007 and it is a great way to get around and see the city; we plan to do that again as we didn't have the opportunity to go the entire way around nor to get off and actually visit some of the sites.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #268
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meum View Post
Looks like California will be well represented on this cruise!

Marianne
Looks like the other CA (Canada) is also well represented!! 5 of us from Ontario!

Just popping in to say Hi ... Looks like the spreadsheet is working out good! Hope there are no problems with editting!
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #269
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Wyoming will be represented as well as it is ever represented on these cruises - all 2 of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Be sure you leave time in your pre-cruise plans to see Barcelona if you've not been there before. We made the mistake of not allowing time to see Barcelona before so we missed it as a port of call. We were so used to sailing from Port Canaveral which to us is just a departure point whereas Barcelona was more than that. Or stay later at the end to see the city before heading for home.
We second this suggestion - Barcelona is a great city!

Welcome to all the new folks joining us!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #270
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

If you have a choice of seeing Barcelona pre cruise or post cruise, I would recommend seeing it pre cruise. Last year's plan was to do one day of sightseeing in Barcelona after we got off the ship but if there's one thing the Med cruise wasn't, it was restful. We were so tired from going out on excursions almost every day that we were exhausted. My parents ended up just staying at the Barcelona hotel all day while my brother and I took the HOHO around Barcelona. We sat up top and baked in the June sun and I started to fall asleep. We decided, after a while of getting sunstroke, that we would end our tour of Barcelona at the Sagrada Família.

We managed to to take the HOHO bus to Sagrada Família (took forever once we had made our decision). The line to get in was so so long that we just walked around the outside and visited the gift shop. Afterwards, we were so tired, we decided to just take a taxi back to the hotel rather than take the HOHO bus. (Our driver didn't know where the Hilton Diagonal Mar was btw...and neither did his GPS. Luckily, he drove in the general direction and then spotted the hotel's Hilton sign... then drove towards it. Geesh.)

If we had done the HOHO before the cruise, I think we would have had more energy to withstand the sun and the bus.... AND more importantly, had we encountered the long line at the Sagrada Família, we could have planned to return before leaving Barcelona. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to do that because we did it post cruise.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: