Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #2611
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Here's another quick question:

How are you all handling cell phones?

Are there pre-paid plans/cards that can be used for your personal cell phones in Europe?

We all have various phones (kids with iPhones, DH with an Android, me with a regular phone) through Verizon.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, and don't forget to call your credit card companies and tell them you will be in Europe! We were in Chicago for the weekend, and the fraud unit initially denied our charge to the 7-11 there, until we verified that was us!
Have an iphone 5. Just going to add intl data and phone the day b4 i leAve and remove it when we get back

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #2612
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Have an iphone 5. Just going to add intl data and phone the day b4 i leAve and remove it when we get back
OK - thanks.

Kids have an iPhone 4S - hope that will work too.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #2613
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's another quick question:

How are you all handling cell phones?

Are there pre-paid plans/cards that can be used for your personal cell phones in Europe?

We all have various phones (kids with iPhones, DH with an Android, me with a regular phone) through Verizon.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, and don't forget to call your credit card companies and tell them you will be in Europe! We were in Chicago for the weekend, and the fraud unit initially denied our charge to the 7-11 there, until we verified that was us!
I have just learned from a friend about an app called viber you can use it overseas to call and text for free to anyone with the same app. I tried the text and it works great. My friend said the phone connection between the US and England was spotty but worked.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #2614
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
I have just learned from a friend about an app called viber you can use it overseas to call and text for free to anyone with the same app. I tried the text and it works great. My friend said the phone connection between the US and England was spotty but worked.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Why Viber?
Free text, calling, photo messages and location-sharing with Viber users*
No registration, alias or invitations required
Instantly integrates with your own contact list
Best-quality mobile calls using 3G or Wi-Fi
* Calls use your data plan

http://www.appfreakblog.com/blog/usi...ee-or-not.html
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #2615
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Was making copies of our driver's licenses (great idea, lllpath ) when I noticed that DS's graduated license expired on his 18th birthday a few weeks ago!!

Off to the DMV today!!
We had to get the lenses replaced in DS's glasses - we all went in last Friday to get adjustments, tighten screws, etc, and found that DS had a crack in one of his lenses (he wears them off and on throughout the day but hadn't told me they were more than scratched). So today we were able to pick up the new ones. And on Monday night, the other DS told me that the charging port on his Kindle Fire was "loose" so it wasn't getting a charge right (1st gen - we'd already replaced his brother's a while ago). So we needed to get that switched out with Amazon - thankfully they were able to give us free one day shipping so that was taken care of. Now I'm waiting to see what's next....

Although my office mates are giving me my "what's next..." as I have three new assignments given to me today with a "please try to get these done or set up so someone else can do them" before you leave on Monday afternoon. I mean it's not like they haven't known for the last 18 months that we're GOING ON VACATION next week And two of these aren't things that you can set up for someone else to do - because by the time the programming and set-up is done, you're done with it. Sigh. But I'm thankful I have a job that allows me to have money for vacations (and grand vacations like this one!) and allows me to take this much time off. And it's an indoor job so when it was cracking lightning and pouring down rain earlier today, I was safe and dry in my office.

But come Monday afternoon, I'll dance a jig in the parking garage and be on vacation!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #2616
Deb in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We had to get the lenses replaced in DS's glasses - we all went in last Friday to get adjustments, tighten screws, etc, and found that DS had a crack in one of his lenses (he wears them off and on throughout the day but hadn't told me they were more than scratched). So today we were able to pick up the new ones. And on Monday night, the other DS told me that the charging port on his Kindle Fire was "loose" so it wasn't getting a charge right (1st gen - we'd already replaced his brother's a while ago). So we needed to get that switched out with Amazon - thankfully they were able to give us free one day shipping so that was taken care of. Now I'm waiting to see what's next....

Although my office mates are giving me my "what's next..." as I have three new assignments given to me today with a "please try to get these done or set up so someone else can do them" before you leave on Monday afternoon. I mean it's not like they haven't known for the last 18 months that we're GOING ON VACATION next week And two of these aren't things that you can set up for someone else to do - because by the time the programming and set-up is done, you're done with it. Sigh. But I'm thankful I have a job that allows me to have money for vacations (and grand vacations like this one!) and allows me to take this much time off. And it's an indoor job so when it was cracking lightning and pouring down rain earlier today, I was safe and dry in my office.

But come Monday afternoon, I'll dance a jig in the parking garage and be on vacation!
Last minute stuff is crazy, aren't they?

DH had an eye appointment today too. He had been complaining that he couldn't see very well, so he was glad he got in, as he wants to SEE where he's going on the cruise!

The verdict?

Cataracts!!!

Luckily, they are mild and can be corrected with glasses, and he happened to find some frames that he liked and they can get them in by Tuesday (we leave Wednesday morning).

Like you said - What next???

Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #2617
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH had an eye appointment today too. He had been complaining that he couldn't see very well, so he was glad he got in, as he wants to SEE where he's going on the cruise!

The verdict?

Cataracts!!!

Luckily, they are mild and can be corrected with glasses, and he happened to find some frames that he liked and they can get them in by Tuesday (we leave Wednesday morning).

Like you said - What next???
Oh my - I am glad that he'll be able to have them corrected with glasses for now. My boss just had hers removed surgically and it was about a month process.

Totally different topic, one more packing tip - make sure you put a pen(s) in your carry-on bag that will be easy to access - gotta fill out those pesky customs forms they bring you on the plane!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2618
Deb in IA

Oooops!

I meant to do the answers to Boomerang4's questions.

Oh well, here they are:

1) When does your vacation begin? (out the door, flight, Spain, boarding...)
Too early! Out the door at 2 am on Wednesday, June 12 to catch our 6 am flight out of Des Moines! 10 hour lay-over in Newark, then 8 hour flight to Barcelona! Arrive 9:15 am Thursday, June 13, Disney transport to Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona.

2) What are you most looking forward to tasting?
Chocolate souffle!!

3) What is your favorite secret that you know or have heard about on the Magic?
The "secret verandah" in Deck 7, Aft. I've never been able to find that!

4) Which port are you most excited about? Least?
Most: Civitavecchia - can't wait to see Rome!
Least: Malta - don't know much about it at all . . .

5) How will you dress for pirate night?
Not too much - maybe tie the bandana around my head.

6) What one thing do you wish you'd known before your first cruise?
That the Mickey slide is only for 12 and under. I am small enough, but too old . . .

7) Most irrational fear about this vacation?
Protests in Turkey. I know they probably won't affect us, but still . . .

8) Most rational fear about this vacation?
Pickpockets. My parents were robbed on their second day in Rome years ago - they got their hands slashed horribly and had to have emergency surgery.

9) What moment are you most looking forward to?
FINALLY getting on that ship, after planning for so long!

10) Who are you most looking forward to meeting/seeing?
EVERYONE!!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #2619
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I have an old Iphone. I am putting it in airplane mode and it will stay that way. Might turn it on to use internet without taking it out of airplane mode, but only in ports or Barcelona if there is wifi available.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #2620
Pinkytink
Earning My Ears

Hi guys!

You must all be sooooooooo excited now that your cruise is just a week away! My family and I are booked on a 7night cruise but are not sailing until August 17th which still seems so far away!

the reason for my post is that I and other fellow travellers on our cruise have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer:

1) When you received your documents from DCL, did they include information regarding the formal and semi-formal nights? We are wondering which nights they will be on and how soon we will find that out.

2) Did they send any information regarding the European ports of call?

I hope you all have a fantastic cruise

Em
Pinkytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #2621
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi Tozzie!

Do you have anything planned there yet?
No, I had started reading up on it, had an sudden unexpected family situation happen and never got back to it. I will have to wing it!
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2622
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oooops!
Too early! 10 hour lay-over in Newark, then 8 hour flight to Barcelona! Arrive 9:15 am Thursday, June 13, Disney transport to Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona.
We are leaving SFO on the 12th @ 7 a.m. and arriving in Newark @ 2:45 p.m. on UA.

We are on the same flight from Newark to Barcelona. I think that we are in the 20's rows.

If you need anything during this flight like candy, magazines, tylenol, etc., just let me know.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #2623
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oooops!

2) What are you most looking forward to tasting?
Chocolate souffle!!

8) Most rational fear about this vacation?
Pickpockets. My parents were robbed on their second day in Rome years ago - they got their hands slashed horribly and had to have emergency surgery.
Where can DH and I try the chocolate souffle? Palo's? MDR?

I am so sorry to hear about your parents. We were told by our European friends to get a purse, "man-purse", or back-pack that is very neutral.

Were people helpful to your parents when it happened?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #2624
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkytink View Post
Hi guys!

You must all be sooooooooo excited now that your cruise is just a week away! My family and I are booked on a 7night cruise but are not sailing until August 17th which still seems so far away!

the reason for my post is that I and other fellow travellers on our cruise have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer:

1) When you received your documents from DCL, did they include information regarding the formal and semi-formal nights? We are wondering which nights they will be on and how soon we will find that out.

2) Did they send any information regarding the European ports of call?

I hope you all have a fantastic cruise

Em
Hi there - happy to help. The final cruise documents do not have the formal and semi formal nights listed, however, we knew well in advance when ours were. Just call DCL and they can tell you. There was no other information about the European ports of call, just the standard booklet.

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #2625
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
Where can DH and I try the chocolate souffle? Palo's? MDR?

I am so sorry to hear about your parents. We were told by our European friends to get a purse, "man-purse", or back-pack that is very neutral.

Were people helpful to your parents when it happened?
The chocolate souffle can only be had at Palo.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: