Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #2071
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Gina shared this over on the FB group -

The app CityMaps2Go – full version is free today for ipad / ipod.

No wifi needed to use them after you’ve downloaded.
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2072
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Just a reminder to please update the events/special occasions document in the Pinned posts area with all info that you would like to have printed on the group calendar. Feel free to include birthdays, anniversaries, etc. I will only include first names on the calendar. Please note that the last column is for me to note that I have added the entry already. If you change an existing event, and I have marked ADDED in this column, please flag it as CHANGED. Thanks. Here is a link to the document.

Cruise Events and Special Occasions
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #2073
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Are you all bringing a converter for electricity for the pre-cruise stay in Barcelona? We were thinking of borrowing one from a friend so we can charge up ipods / ipad / kindle fires - but then I was reading that these may not need a converter but just an adapter because they are designed to charge off either 110v or 220v - but I'm so tech-challenged that I'm not sure from what I'm reading over on Apple and Amazon. Anyone know or can point me to a definitive answer?

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #2074
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We ordered our tickets for the Bus Turistic in Barcelona today. We used this in 2007 and found it to be good for us, so I ordered the 2-day tickets so we can go Thursday and Friday.

Other sources assure me that the apple and kindle devices are dual-voltage so we should be ok as long as we have an adapter to use to charge with. The Renaissance Barcelona is reported to have iPod docking stations in the rooms.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #2075
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We ordered our tickets for the Bus Turistic in Barcelona today. We used this in 2007 and found it to be good for us, so I ordered the 2-day tickets so we can go Thursday and Friday.

Other sources assure me that the apple and kindle devices are dual-voltage so we should be ok as long as we have an adapter to use to charge with. The Renaissance Barcelona is reported to have iPod docking stations in the rooms.
You will not need a converter, I have been to a few countries in Europe in the past few years and I only needed the adapter to charge everything.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2076
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post

You will not need a converter, I have been to a few countries in Europe in the past few years and I only needed the adapter to charge everything.
Tozzie, thanks... And good to see ya here!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #2077
detroitdad
Mouseketeer

Excursion Tips

Can anyone offer some insight regarding tipping for excursion guides/drivers? We are only taking one DCL excursion and that is for the river rafting while in France. Other than that, we are going with private tours for all of the other ports. Should I base it on a percentage of the excursion cost, a flat rate or per person rate regardless of the excursion cost. We are a family of 6 and I don't want to insult anyone, but at the same time don't want to be dropping 200 euros per excursion either.

Last edited by detroitdad; 04-15-2013 at 05:06 PM.
detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2078
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdad View Post
Can anyone offer some insight regarding tips for excursion guides/drivers? We are only taking one DCL excursion and that is for the river rafting while in France. Other than that, we are going with private tours for all of the other ports. Should I base it on a percentage of the excursion cost, a flat rate or per person rate regardless of the excursion cost. We are a family of 6 and I don't want to insult anyone, but at the same time don't want to be dropping 200 euros per excursion either.
WE are a family of 7, and are doing a mix of private/DCL excursions. I use TripAdvisor to start and go off the reviews. Then I contact the companies directly to see what info I get.

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2079
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdad View Post
Can anyone offer some insight regarding tips for excursion guides/drivers? We are only taking one DCL excursion and that is for the river rafting while in France. Other than that, we are going with private tours for all of the other ports. Should I base it on a percentage of the excursion cost, a flat rate or per person rate regardless of the excursion cost. We are a family of 6 and I don't want to insult anyone, but at the same time don't want to be dropping 200 euros per excursion either.
It's funny. We have mostly outside tours and were wondering the same. At the bottom of one of my confirmations there was a customary tipping guideline which we've decided to use as our guide. It said 10% for an actual guide and 5% for the driver.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2080
detroitdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
It's funny. We have mostly outside tours and were wondering the same. At the bottom of one of my confirmations there was a customary tipping guideline which we've decided to use as our guide. It said 10% for an actual guide and 5% for the driver.
Good rule of thumb. Except for the DCL one. It's ridiculous what they are charging. I've been white water rafting before and it wasn't anywhere close to what we are paying through DCL (over $1500 for the 6 of us), but it wasn't one that we are willing to try and book on our own with the transportation. Will be using our Disney Visa Points to pay for that one

Thanks for the info
detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2081
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Which reminds me - do any of you go to the Trivia games they have on the ship? We've been to a few - some folks are "hard core" about it, but generally most of the other guests we've encountered are fun and easy going. The boys have enjoyed the family ones like the Pirate trivia and the "name that tune" ones that are sometimes done in the Promenade, and at times have gone with me to the ones that are adults in the mornings (because we didn't realize it was only adults but it wasn't busy so the CM said they could stay).

We like to go to Mickey Mania and such in Studio Sea, too.
You'll definitely see us there. DD loves all the game shows, trivia, pictionary, etc. (and we suck at all of them so not competitive). When we were on the Panama Cruise, there were so many sea days I think we went to at least one a day. For those who has never been, you've got to go to the "So You Think You Know Your Family". It's hilarious.

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #2082
CJCPixieDust
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know, it's great and makes the hallways and stairwells less dangerous!
But what's important is to make sure that the life vests you do have in your cabin are the right sizes for your party and that you know how to put them on, so be sure to at least check the sizes at the beginning of the cruise. A lot of people store them under the bed, but my personal opinion is to store them where they are easily accessible - under the bed means they may slide around and not be easy to grab in an emergency.

I'm the shortest person in our family - so in 2011 I had my first experience as "line leader" for our family when we lined up.
I agree! We always check them, make sure we all know how to use them and leave them right in the closet easily accessible!

In August of 2011, my son was taller than me, but I still had my daughter beat. This cruise, I fear I will be the Line Leader!

CJCPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #2083
CJCPixieDust
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
So, I love watching www.viralviralvideos.com after a long day of work. I ran across this cute and great explanation of the Vatican City. I tried to explain it to my DDs (and I am Catholic hah!) and they were confused. But now I will just show this to them:

http://www.viralviralvideos.com/2013...ned-animation/

Looking forward to the Cruise!

I am going to look for the Disney store in Barcelona.
Thanks for sharing this! I'll definitely show this to my family.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #2084
CJCPixieDust
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Same for us, but we would be up for a scheduled "event" some time, some where ... ideas? suggestions? Sea Days?

Which reminds me - do any of you go to the Trivia games they have on the ship? We've been to a few - some folks are "hard core" about it, but generally most of the other guests we've encountered are fun and easy going. The boys have enjoyed the family ones like the Pirate trivia and the "name that tune" ones that are sometimes done in the Promenade, and at times have gone with me to the ones that are adults in the mornings (because we didn't realize it was only adults but it wasn't busy so the CM said they could stay).

We like to go to Mickey Mania and such in Studio Sea, too.
We love Mickey Mania! One cruise, my son was so determined to play we wore our matching shirts and jumped around like crazy people to get picked! One of my favorite cruise memories...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #2085
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse

In our previous MedCruise 2010, we tipped 10% for the guide and 5%for one driver. We took public transportation for everything else.

By the way, we loved our limoinrome.com guide in Rome. She will be our guide again

MedCruise June 15-27, 2013 VilleFranche-Sur-Mer, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Valetta

MedCruise Aug. 7, 2010 Valetta, Tunis, Naples, Civitavecchia, La Spezia, VilleFranche-Sur-Mer

Mexican Riviera 2008
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: