Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #1831
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA

Thanks, Cindy.

I am just going to check with our local bank and probably take a small amount ($50 - $100) in euros. I like to have a little cash on hand when we travel, just for emergencies.

Also, you may want to call your credit card company to let them know that you will be in Europe during that time, so that they don't question purchases suddenly coming in from Italy and Greece. We did that when we went to China, and they were happy to know this in advance. I know our card number has been hacked before and our CC company always calls to verify any sketchy charges - which is GREAT if you are worried about fraud on your account, but not so good if you get cancelled while on vacation!
Great advice. We do this whenever we travel.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #1832
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom
I asked our TA to check about currency exchange onboard and here's what she found out:

They said that you can use traveler’s checks or personal checks to exchange money and they don’t have a limit, but that most people just use their Mastercard/Visa if possible. The personal check amount, of course, is provided it clears the bank clearing house (duh LOL). I do know you can also get money at your local bank and it usually has less exchange rate, so you might want to check with them. They did say you can sell back unused Euro at the current exchange rate.

I had her check because I know you can cash a personal check up to $100 but didn't know they would take them for currency exchange.
Cindy
Just so I am clear TA found out you can put on you credit card? When we went in 2010 to the Baltic. That is great.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #1833
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
That's exactly where we look
We have pre-ordered euro in the past through AAA online - I think they use TravelEx. It's really easy - just don't use a credit card to do it or they will treat it like a cash advance - unless you have a credit card with no balance and pay it back right away. We've used our debit card with no worries.
see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Thanks, Cindy.

I am just going to check with our local bank and probably take a small amount ($50 - $100) in euros. I like to have a little cash on hand when we travel, just for emergencies.

Also, you may want to call your credit card company to let them know that you will be in Europe during that time, so that they don't question purchases suddenly coming in from Italy and Greece. We did that when we went to China, and they were happy to know this in advance. I know our card number has been hacked before and our CC company always calls to verify any sketchy charges - which is GREAT if you are worried about fraud on your account, but not so good if you get cancelled while on vacation!
I'm actually looking into using AAA's "travel card" this time around. Their terms and conditions are here:

https://www.aaa.myprepaidbalance.com...dC_Travel.aspx

Essentially you pre-load a Visa and get a PIN for it. You can order additional cards that will access the same pool of pre-paid funds but HAS A DIFFERENT # so that if it is lost that one card can be turned off and the other still used. You can pull out $1000/day at ATM's! I'd really like to not come back to a CC bill.....

The CC/bank notification thing...We moved here from CO and drove the truck and the moving truck, filling up both every 300-miles or so. Flagged by both CC's as there was a pattern to the charging that wasn't normal. Hadn't notified anyone...and our credit union was only open weekdays and it was Memorial Day weekend. Able to get the lock off Amex, but what a pain! Lesson learned.....never again!

And for those of you with smaller banks or credit unions...I can't get Euros thru mine. I used my dad's connection to BoA to prepurchase some last time. This time, just gonna rely on the ATM at the airport on arrival. I still have a few Euros floating around from last time....

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #1834
DL1957
DIS Veteran

BFF & DSIS have used the AAA visa travel card and it has worked well for them. Not only can you use at ATM but it can also be used as a cc. We were thinking about getting a couple of them just in case the number gets stolen we don't loose to much money.
Sue
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #1835
MichaelH
DIS Veteran/Disney Fan

Got a question. We can book our excursions this weekend. We have everything picked out, but no times were posted. How do you find out the times of the excrusions?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1836
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
Got a question. We can book our excursions this weekend. We have everything picked out, but no times were posted. How do you find out the times of the excrusions?
You can't see the times until you're actually booking and it "checks availability" - but if you want to know the times of specific excursions, post them here and someone can look them up for you and let you know.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #1837
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
As Cindy indicated just let us know and we can get the times for you. This was my first time as Platimum and I got times for folks who are gold. Sue
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #1838
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
As Cindy indicated just let us know and we can get the times for you. This was my first time as Platimum and I got times for folks who are gold. Sue
I have a similar question -
We can't book excursions until 4/1. We have picked out 2 or 3 excursions that we really, really want to do. It sounds like for some of them, they will add more slots if they underestimated interest and of course folks may change their minds about which ones they want so I am not super, super worried, but I was curious if the platinum/gold/and soon silver folks can see how much availability is remaining for certain excursions? Or just if there is still availability?

The excursions we are interested in are:
-Jumping back to eternal Rome
-Ephesus and Sirince Village (all ages one)
-Blue Grottos and Fishing Village

I am wondering if I should figure out some 2nd or even 3rd choice excursions for those ports so even if our first choices are booked, we can grab a different one for now and then keep checking for availability.....

thanks in advance for your advice!
-jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #1839
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2

We can't book excursions until 4/1. We have picked out 2 or 3 excursions that we really, really want to do. It sounds like for some of them, they will add more slots if they underestimated interest and of course folks may change their minds about which ones they want so I am not super, super worried, but I was curious if the platinum/gold/and soon silver folks can see how much availability is remaining for certain excursions? Or just if there is still availability?

I am wondering if I should figure out some 2nd or even 3rd choice excursions for those ports so even if our first choices are booked, we can grab a different one for now and then keep checking for availability.....

-jen
Jen. We can't see how many spots are left but we certainly can see if its available at this point. I will look and get back. I would have other choices just in case

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #1840
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2

-jen
All three are currently still available

Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #1841
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
All three are currently still available
Thank you so much for checking! That makes me super happy but I understand availability can change quickly. We'll work on some alternative choices - and keep our fingers crossed.

I appreciate your help!
-jen
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #1842
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjen2 View Post
Thank you so much for checking! That makes me super happy but I understand availability can change quickly. We'll work on some alternative choices - and keep our fingers crossed.

I appreciate your help!
-jen
Jen - how many people in your party? Because we are a party of four and can see if they have four spots for these.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #1843
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

I already did that. There are at least 4 for each of these

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1844
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Jen - how many people in your party? Because we are a party of four and can see if they have four spots for these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
I already did that. There are at least 4 for each of these
Thanks!! There are just three in our party (DH, DS-4, and myself). Glad to know there are at least 4 spots currently available. I really appreciate your fast responses.
thanks again, jen
Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1845
DL1957
DIS Veteran

It would be a good idea for someone to check on Monday since Silver books Sat. night/Sunday am
Sue
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: