Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #1771
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
Thanks! Since I am not on FB, this is good to know. I think and hope that we should be awake for the 13th & 14th to meet with everyone.

However, we (adults) will be the only one meeting on the 15th. It's nice to get to meet everyone.

Are there nametags with our disboard names?
I don't think we've had a volunteer to make them yet, but I am going to study-up on the spreadsheet before we go so I can try to remember some names to go with the DIS names. Some people I've already sorted out but I think of each of you by your DIS name and something about you from posting. Like abayaflowers, I think of you as the kids chocolate person because you're putting together the thing in BCN I have Sue (DL1957) because we're meeting up in ATL pre-flight.

My boys will be at the pre-cruise meets (probably) but likely not at the one on the 15th - they'll be doing their own thing by then - we usually stop after boarding and say "see you at x o'clock at y location" and off they go. We might pass by them at some point, or they might turn up in the cabin - usually with a plate of food, cup of ice cream, or some such thing.

One thing we do like to do as a family, and we'd be glad for anyone who wants to join us, is hang out in the Promenade Lounge before early dinner. They usually have chips/salsa out around 5 or 5:15 and most nights they have a duo performing. We like to find a spot on the aft side of the Promenade and catch up on our day before going to dinner (whether we eat at the main dining room or elsewhere, we like to relax there). So on days when we aren't out in port late, you are likely to find us hanging out there - we'd love to have folks join us, come say hi, etc. In fact, when we did our first Med cruise in 2007, that's when we started doing this. We had gotten to know another DIS family and would meet there every evening. Then we sailed together at Christmas in 2008 and did the same thing. After that, we've done it for every DCL we've done - in 2011, some friends sailed with us in Alaska and we had them doing it too - we liked that no matter how scattered we were during the day, we had a point in tmie and a place to come together each day.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #1772
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
I don't think we've had a volunteer to make them yet, but I am going to study-up on the spreadsheet before we go so I can try to remember some names to go with the DIS names. Some people I've already sorted out but I think of each of you by your DIS name and something about you from posting. Like abayaflowers, I think of you as the kids chocolate person because you're putting together the thing in BCN.
Our family loves this chocolate from this Barcelona location.

Quote:
One thing we do like to do as a family, and we'd be glad for anyone who wants to join us, is hang out in the Promenade Lounge before early dinner. They usually have chips/salsa out around 5 or 5:15 and most nights they have a duo performing. We like to find a spot on the aft side of the Promenade and catch up on our day before going to dinner (whether we eat at the main dining room or elsewhere, we like to relax there). So on days when we aren't out in port late, you are likely to find us hanging out there - we'd love to have folks join us, come say hi, etc. In fact, when we did our first Med cruise in 2007, that's when we started doing this. We had gotten to know another DIS family and would meet there every evening. Then we sailed together at Christmas in 2008 and did the same thing. After that, we've done it for every DCL we've done - in 2011, some friends sailed with us in Alaska and we had them doing it too - we liked that no matter how scattered we were during the day, we had a point in tmie and a place to come together each day.
What a great idea! If we make it back in time from our port excursions, we will try to make it.

So, our task as a family is purchasing tickets for all the museums during our DIY port excursions.

I try researching as much as I can when I am not working or taking care of family household stuff.

So, back to work and will check back later.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #1773
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One thing we do like to do as a family, and we'd be glad for anyone who wants to join us, is hang out in the Promenade Lounge before early dinner. They usually have chips/salsa out around 5 or 5:15 and most nights they have a duo performing. We like to find a spot on the aft side of the Promenade and catch up on our day before going to dinner (whether we eat at the main dining room or elsewhere, we like to relax there). So on days when we aren't out in port late, you are likely to find us hanging out there - we'd love to have folks join us, come say hi, etc.
This location is my DSIS hangout as well as her BFF and many times we are there at the same time so we might meet up with you there as well and we will know what each other looks like since we are on the same flight together! Working is getting very stressful right now so I am focusing on this awesome trip. I do have a week in SF April 4-11 for the opening of SF Giants baseball however DH will be staying home with our girls (the long hair daschunds on my photo) so while it will be fun I would rather he had more vacation time so he could go with me.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1774
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Has anyone been to the Magic Fountains in Barcelona? We're thinking about doing this and the cable car Wed or Thurs night before the cruise. I've read the Rick Steves' and Lonely Planet descriptions as well as Trip Advisor reviews. Now I'm looking for opinions from any of you who have been there.

My Disney Adventures
Disney Magic Inaugural Greek Cruise: June 15, 2013
Disneyland/California Adventure: April 4, 2013
Disney Fantasy: December 29, 2012
Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot: December 25, 2012
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 17, 2012 (Opening week of Cars Land and Mad T Party)
Disneyland/California Adventure: March 2012
Became DVC Member: December 28, 2011,
First Disney Cruise: December 24, 2011, Magic
Magic Kingdom and Epcot: January 2011
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 2007
My Daughter’s first trip to Disneyland: December 31, 2001
Animal Kingdom: August 1999
Epcot: June 1997
Disneyland: July 1994
Disneyland: June 1991
Disneyland: April 1987
First trip to Disneyland: November 29, 1986
MoonDaughter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #1775
Meum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23 View Post
Has anyone been to the Magic Fountains in Barcelona? We're thinking about doing this and the cable car Wed or Thurs night before the cruise. I've read the Rick Steves' and Lonely Planet descriptions as well as Trip Advisor reviews. Now I'm looking for opinions from any of you who have been there.
we want to see those as well, we didn't get a chance when we went there for the trans atlantic cruise.

Quote:
I don't think we've had a volunteer to make them yet, but I am going to study-up on the spreadsheet before we go so I can try to remember some names to go with the DIS names. Some people I've already sorted out but I think of each of you by your DIS name and something about you from posting. Like abayaflowers, I think of you as the kids chocolate person because you're putting together the thing in BCN I have Sue (DL1957) because we're meeting up in ATL pre-flight.
i'd be willing to make the nametags buts since I haven't been to a meet before, i would need some guidance of what to put on them.

see ya, marianne
Disney Magic Mexican Riveria Cruise 2005
Disneyland Tokyo 2006
Disneyland Hong Kong 2006
Disney Magic Westbound Trans Atlantic Cruise 2007
Disney Magic Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise 2008
First time DVC visit to Grand Californian Villas 2010
Disney Magic Inagural Northern European Capitals Cruise 2010
Meum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #1776
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
I wanted to go there, perhaps if they are running when we return, but we're only there a day before and I think by that night we'll all be exhausted from the time change

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #1777
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDaughter23
We stayed at the Fira Palace Hotel in Aug. 2010 & just walked over 1 block after dinner at Napoli.

Absolutely beautiful @ night.

Lots of people.

Everyone will enjoy it.

MedCruise June 15-27, 2013 VilleFranche-Sur-Mer, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Valetta

MedCruise Aug. 7, 2010 Valetta, Tunis, Naples, Civitavecchia, La Spezia, VilleFranche-Sur-Mer

Mexican Riviera 2008
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #1778
Boomerang4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We went on the night before embarkation in 2011. I remember that it started quite late; the start time is dependent on the sun...it has to be mostly dark before the show will begin, and I think it started at 8:30 or 9:00. We had read a different time and showed up way early. But it was really nice, there are lots of open tables and chairs around the fountain, and kiosks selling beer, wine, soft drinks, snacks and ice cream. We just hung out and let the boys run around and explore a bit. We ended up sharing our table with a family of Americans who were headed out on a different cruise line as a graduation present for their daughter; very congenial environment. The fountain and music are the same as many of it's type all over the world (think Vegas), but you get the chilled out ambiance of coastal Spain.

We took the metro there; it was very easy to find. I would give it double thumbs up, but perhaps not a "must do."
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #1779
meb51
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We did this the last time we were on a MED cruise out of Barcelona. I would definitely recommend it.
meb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1780
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had to look up the Magic Fountain. Here's the link for those like me who didn't know what it was. We may have to figure that into our time in BCN - probably at the end of the trip rather than the beginning.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1781
CNDDisneyMom
Earning My Ears

is there Secret Mickey's on this cruise or just the FE Exchange? Also does anyone know if there is a Villain night on this cruise?
CNDDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #1782
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDDisneyMom
is there Secret Mickey's on this cruise or just the FE Exchange? Also does anyone know if there is a Villain night on this cruise?
Ive never heard of secret mickeys I dont think were planning on it. Whats a villian night? This will be my 7th dcl cruise and ive never seen one of those

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #1783
CNDDisneyMom
Earning My Ears

I had never heard of either before but I have been reading other groups discussions and quite a few listed villains night, there is a villain show and special villain menu and i guess some people dress up for it. It is in addition to the pirate night and is only done on the longer cruise. People posted pics of the menu and it sounded like a fun night.

As for the Secret Mickey's, I am also going on the transatlantic cruise in September 2014 and this was one of other things listed that will be going on so I looked it up as well. It is basically a secret Santa. You buy or make a gift for 1 other person and the group chooses a spending limit (most are $20 - $30).
I just thought it sounded fun. I am participating in both the FE exchange and the Secret Mickey on my 2014 cruise.
CNDDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #1784
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDDisneyMom View Post
I had never heard of either before but I have been reading other groups discussions and quite a few listed villains night, there is a villain show and special villain menu and i guess some people dress up for it. It is in addition to the pirate night and is only done on the longer cruise. People posted pics of the menu and it sounded like a fun night.

As for the Secret Mickey's, I am also going on the transatlantic cruise in September 2014 and this was one of other things listed that will be going on so I looked it up as well. It is basically a secret Santa. You buy or make a gift for 1 other person and the group chooses a spending limit (most are $20 - $30).
I just thought it sounded fun. I am participating in both the FE exchange and the Secret Mickey on my 2014 cruise.
Hi! I love the Villians show! It is kind of dorky, but one of my favorites! I have also done the Secret Mickey with other groups. I think the European ones tend to be a little more difficult with packing limitations, lol!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #1785
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNDDisneyMom

Thanks for the info. I know they do the villians show but never saw anyone dress up. We were on the 10 day med in 2010 and they didnt do one. Apparently in the past they did a whole villian themed cruise. That may be where the pics are from.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: