Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #1756
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

One Way Rentals

Our travel plans will have us driving from home to Atlanta the day before our flight to BCN. My brother lives in the ATL area so what we have typically done is meet him and have him keep our car for us while we are gone. Because we will be gone for a month this time, that's a long time for him to have our car parked at his house - and his driveway is such that it makes it harder for him to get around with the extra car in the way. Because the day we fly out is also his birthday, we planned to just stay at a hotel near the airport rather than staying with him so he wouldn't have to go out of his way and miss part of his work day to haul us around.

Anyway, I had looked at one-way rentals for a vehicle to take and come back. When I checked, we could get a good rate on a one way from home to ATL, but from ATL back home was nearly 4 times as much - yikes - put it out of my price range. But today when I was thinking that I needed to confirm with my brother about our plans, I decided to check again and found that the return rate is nearly the same rate as the going rate, so I went ahead and made reservations for one-way rental vehicle to get us to the airport in June and another one to get us home in July.

We are staying at a hotel not too far from the airport that has a shuttle service, so our plan is to check in the hotel, meet my brother for dinner, and then return the rental car and take the shuttle back to the hotel. Then take the shuttle from the hotel to the airport on the 12th when we fly out. Then when we get home, we'll pick up the rental car and then spend the night at my brother's house before driving home the next day.

This will keep our car in our garage, out of the sun and other weather elements while we are gone. And we don't have to pay for parking at the airport, etc., and no inconvenience to my brother (see what a good sister I am?!) This is the longest vacation we've ever taken.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #1757
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
I did...We called about character breakfasts. They told us that the rotation wasn't determined until right before we left.
Ok. TY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I see some talk about camera bags, I seem to recall PacSafe has a new photographer/ camera bag. Sorry did not look real close at it.
Crap. Now I'm gonna be forced to go look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
I found this on the Tripadvisor Travel Forum

A Dry Climate--Pack an "Ocean" before you go!

Before you leave, run to the pharmacy and purchase a bottle of "Ocean" sodium chloride for each person in your traveling party, and lip balm. The air, especially in Athens is very dry---think Arizona or Denver, and a squeeze of these nose drops a few times a day can improve your trip considerably. Pack away plenty of sunscreen (30+), since it is very expensive to purchase in Greece.
There's a product called "Ayr" that can be found at your local drugstore. It comes as a saline nasal spray as well as a gel that you can put on a q-tip and lubricate the inside of your nasal passages. I used to live in Colorado Springs (2000 feet higher in elevation than Denver) and I'd get nosebleeds all the time. Not sure you'd need it for a day or two, tho...but on the airplane would be good, too. Better to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, then hydrate some more.

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #1758
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Meets!

For any of you not on FB:

There are a few meets formed up:

June 13th and 14th in the evening at the Renaissance Barcelona. nzdisneymom is coordinating this one.

June 15th: day of embarkation. 3pm in the Promenade Lounge. Should be early enough to be able to meet up before boat drill.

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1759
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I see some talk about camera bags, I seem to recall PacSafe has a new photographer/ camera bag. Sorry did not look real close at it.
http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_ro...=detail&id=216

I've already sent quote requests to B&H and Adorama to try and see what I can sell my bag for.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #1760
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post

June 13th and 14th in the evening at the Renaissance Barcelona. nzdisneymom is coordinating this one.

June 15th: day of embarkation. 3pm in the Promenade Lounge. Should be early enough to be able to meet up before boat drill.
Thanks for the reminder I forgot already about the 6/13 meet and we are staying at the Renaissance!
Sue
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #1761
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
Thanks for the reminder I forgot already about the 6/13 meet and we are staying at the Renaissance!
Sue
No worries, Sue - as it gets closer to travel time, we'll firm up the time and I'll send out a reminder. We're going to hang out in the lobby on the evenings of both the 13th and 14th for a bit so there are a couple of opportunities to get together. WE have so enjoyed that on other cruises and it's been a great way to share and learn about what others did during the day (and others have shared great tips about places to eat, ways to beat the crowds, etc.). In London, DH and I went to a pub around the corner from the hotel because another DIS family had been there the night before - it was out of the way and wonderful. And another DIS family told us when we went to the Tower of London to go straight to see the Crown Jewels to beat the crowd - we followed their advice and they were right - as we were exiting the area, the queue was backed up!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #1762
MoonDaughter23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
I found this on the Tripadvisor Travel Forum

A Dry Climate--Pack an "Ocean" before you go!

Before you leave, run to the pharmacy and purchase a bottle of "Ocean" sodium chloride for each person in your traveling party, and lip balm. The air, especially in Athens is very dry---think Arizona or Denver, and a squeeze of these nose drops a few times a day can improve your trip considerably. Pack away plenty of sunscreen (30+), since it is very expensive to purchase in Greece.
Thank for this tip. Very helpful.

As someone who lives in AZ, I love the "think Arizona or Denver" part.

My Disney Adventures
Disney Magic Inaugural Greek Cruise: June 15, 2013
Disneyland/California Adventure: April 4, 2013
Disney Fantasy: December 29, 2012
Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot: December 25, 2012
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 17, 2012 (Opening week of Cars Land and Mad T Party)
Disneyland/California Adventure: March 2012
Became DVC Member: December 28, 2011,
First Disney Cruise: December 24, 2011, Magic
Magic Kingdom and Epcot: January 2011
Disneyland/California Adventure: June 2007
My Daughter’s first trip to Disneyland: December 31, 2001
Animal Kingdom: August 1999
Epcot: June 1997
Disneyland: July 1994
Disneyland: June 1991
Disneyland: April 1987
First trip to Disneyland: November 29, 1986
MoonDaughter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1763
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's a product called "Ayr" that can be found at your local drugstore. It comes as a saline nasal spray as well as a gel that you can put on a q-tip and lubricate the inside of your nasal passages. I used to live in Colorado Springs (2000 feet higher in elevation than Denver) and I'd get nosebleeds all the time. Not sure you'd need it for a day or two, tho...but on the airplane would be good, too. Better to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, then hydrate some more.
Nice to know, because I could not find the product "Ocean" at our local drugstore.

Thanks!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1764
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:

THANKS!!

I am not on Facebook, so I appreciate the reminder!

Are there any meets at the Barcelona Hilton Diagonal? We are staying there for 2 nights before the cruise, and 1 night after.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1765
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA

THANKS!!

Are there any meets at the Barcelona Hilton Diagonal? We are staying there for 2 nights before the cruise, and 1 night after.
Im staying there the night after the cruise as well

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #1766
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
THANKS!!

I think there are a few folks staying there - so you could host

Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1767
Boomerang4
Mouseketeer

The bag discussion has prompted me to add two cents on something not to be missed regarding travel/convenience/security. Simply an amazing product line, about which I can not provide enough kudos. Saves you a carry on and keeps everything to hand, and particularly appropriate for Europe. Coats, vests, trenches, rain gear, fleeces with tons of hidden pockets and utilitarian tricks. These coats have made me a ver happy traveler...

http://www.scottevest.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #1768
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

OK, I just bought the following anti-theft stuff, because we are paranoid about pickpockets:

Travelon Luggage Anti-Theft Cross-Body Bag

Pacsafe Walletsafe 100 Secure Travel Wallet

Lewis N. Clark Luggage Rfid Waist Stash

Rick Steves Silk Money Belt

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #1769
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks! Since I am not on FB, this is good to know. I think and hope that we should be awake for the 13th & 14th to meet with everyone.

However, we (adults) will be the only one meeting on the 15th. It's nice to get to meet everyone.

Are there nametags with our disboard names?
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #1770
ame
Addicted to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Im staying there the night after the cruise as well
We're staying there the night after the cruise too.
ame is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: