Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #1561
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers
For others who are planning to visit the statue of David in the Uffizi Gallery (like our family), I just found out that the Uffizi Gallery & Accademia Museum are closed on Mondays. Other museums are not.

I am so bummed, because this is the 2nd time that we wanted to see the statue of David and cannot, because the museum is closed.

I guess we will have to plan on Livorno, Lucca, and/or Pisa.
I'm sorry you must have missed the prior posts where we discussed this. It is a bummer. There is a pretty good replica at the viewing site at the top of the hill. Great view by the way

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1562
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
I'm sorry you must have missed the prior posts where we discussed this. It is a bummer. There is a pretty good replica at the viewing site at the top of the hill. Great view by the way
Yup! Missed that important post.

Thanks for the information.

I appreciate it!

Off to more planning!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #1563
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
For others who are planning to visit the statue of David in the Uffizi Gallery (like our family), I just found out that the Uffizi Gallery & Accademia Museum are closed on Mondays. Other museums are not.

I am so bummed, because this is the 2nd time that we wanted to see the statue of David and cannot, because the museum is closed.

I guess we will have to plan on Livorno, Lucca, and/or Pisa.
That's one advantage for us about doing B2B - for this one, we'd be in Florence on a Monday but the next one we are there on a Saturday. And for thos one, we're in Rome on a Tuesday and the next one is the last Sunday of the month which means things like the Vatican are super crowded. It's part of why we're doing Cinque Terre when we're at La Spezia this time around and enjoying a quiet visit to Lake Bracciano on the 2nd time we're in Civitavecchia.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #1564
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Finally, since this is a 12-night cruise, do they let you do more than one Palo dinner and/or brunch?
Onboard, you can do as many as you want as long as there is room in the dining room. But to book ahead, you can book only one of each.

I've been to Florence so I'm doing the cooking lesson in Tuscany.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1565
MichaelH
DIS Veteran/Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_time_cruiser View Post
Getting super excited!!! Booked all of our excursions/spa/dining stuff. Plus, the Palo dinner options finally came up and I was able to book it for our anniversary. I wish we didn't have to wait until June!

Also, I was wondering if any one is going to Paris before or after the cruise? We are thinking about going from Barcelona to Paris, but we haven't ironed out any details yet as a train ride might take up too much time which means we may have to fly. We're also looking at Paris hotel options - any recommendations would be great!
We are staying in Paris before cruise. There is a new high speed train from Paris to Figueres. That is what we are doing. We are going from Paris to Figueres and have to swap trains to continue to Barcelona. We are staying here:

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center, Boulevard Saint-Jacques, Paris, France
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #1566
canadakath
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanNan View Post
Paris is fantastic, I am jealous. But we are going to UK for a week prior to sailing to visit with an old friend and see some sights. Maybe someday I can get DH to visit Paris. Your hotel looks perfect, location is wonderful, especially since you can walk pretty much anywhere. Your kids will love it.
What part of Ontario are you from? DH is from Toronto but has been out west forever.
I am from Sarnia, Ontario (though born outside of Edmonton - go Oilers!) and went to university in Waterloo. Lots of us SW Ontarians in this group!

I am planning to book a private family tour of the Louvre and possibly a walking tour as well with Paris Muse. They have great ratings for keeping kids entertained while learning about art history! Oldest DS just finished a unit on Medieval Times and I think he will love the city and the rich history. Not that there won't be lots of history on our cruise, but I think Paris will be a little more "real" for him as opposed to the more abstract ruins. And what kid (or adult) doesn't want to go up the Eiffel Tower?

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #1567
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:

Oh, shoot! I missed the earlier posts about this too.
Darn. Of course, we were hoping to see the "real" David, but I guess the outside replica will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Onboard, you can do as many as you want as long as there is room in the dining room. But to book ahead, you can book only one of each.
Thanks for the information, Nala! That is very helpful!

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #1568
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
I have only booked shore excursions. When I went to check-in it was not working so I thought I could do later and just have not gotten back to it. We are using DCL transportation so the port arrival time does not mean much to us also I think we are in a different group being platimum now but it is our first time so I don't know that one for sure.
As a Platinum, when you go to do the online checkin, it doesn't bother having you state a port arrival time. Instead it will say something like "As a Platinum guest, feel free to arrive at the port whenever the heck you want."
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #1569
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
I really hope we reach quorum on this excursion! I'll probably be sitting by the phone waiting for the heartbreaking "Dear ImprovGal" phone call from shoreside up until my flight.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #1570
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Ok, based on the information we've gotten here, we've decided to do private tours in both Greece and Turkey. So that means we have private tours booked for Barcelona, La Spezia, Civitavechhia, Ephesius, Athens and Malta. We'll do DCL excursions if we can get them in Villefranche and Mykonos. The tours in Greece and Turkey were half the price of DCL and highly rated and reviewed on trip advisor.

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #1571
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
As a Platinum, when you go to do the online checkin, it doesn't bother having you state a port arrival time. Instead it will say something like "As a Platinum guest, feel free to arrive at the port whenever the heck you want."
Thanks for the info!
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1572
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Ok, based on the information we've gotten here, we've decided to do private tours in both Greece and Turkey. So that means we have private tours booked for Barcelona, La Spezia, Civitavechhia, Ephesius, Athens and Malta. We'll do DCL excursions if we can get them in Villefranche and Mykonos. The tours in Greece and Turkey were half the price of DCL and highly rated and reviewed on trip advisor.
I was thinking about that too, but DH is a really nervous traveller, and definitely wants the security of a DCL excursion.

Honestly, he thinks all of Europe is made up of theives, swindlers and pick pockets, and he's afraid of getting ripped off by the locals.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #1573
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA

I was thinking about that too, but DH is a really nervous traveller, and definitely wants the security of a DCL excursion.

Honestly, he thinks all of Europe is made up of theives, swindlers and pick pockets, and he's afraid of getting ripped off by the locals.
We felt that way as well for Greece and Turkey so we going to go with DCL arranged private tours. However, from what we are seeing there is a good possibility that none are left. We dont like the group tours that DCL has because not only are they expensive but they don't take us everywhere we want to go. Some of these countries I may neve me get the opportunity to go back to so I want to really see them. As I said, the tours we picked got very high reviews on trip advisor. We got our private tours that way last time and we were fine.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #1574
long_time_cruiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
My husband and I are booked this excursion too since the museums in Florence are going to be closed. We love to cook so we are really looking forward to it. We did a cooking class excursion in Mexico and really enjoyed it so hopefully this one is even better!
Magic: 4 Day Bahamas (March 1999), Eastern (March 2002, March 2009), Western (March 2005), Med (May 2007, June 2013), Baltic (July 2010), Weekend Getaway NYC (June & July 2012), Norwegian Fjord (June 2015)
Wonder: Alaska (May 2011)
Dream: 4 Day Bahamas (November 2011)
Fantasy: Western (June 2012)

DVC Since 1994
long_time_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #1575
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_time_cruiser View Post
My husband and I are booked this excursion too since the museums in Florence are going to be closed. We love to cook so we are really looking forward to it. We did a cooking class excursion in Mexico and really enjoyed it so hopefully this one is even better!
One day when we cruise without kids, I want to do these kinds of activities!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: