Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #91
BeckWhy
The Tag Fairy prefers to remain an enigma ;)

We're really nervous about boarding the dog. I don't even know if there is a place around here where we can board him anyways.

But we are just really worried about him emotionally. I mean I kid you not my dad treated our dog like a kid. He made him pretty dishes of food to eat, tucked him in at night, made sure he had a nice pillow under his head.

I haven't been home the past week to know how Duke is doing since my dad died. I know Duke's been upset but it's really hard to know if Duke understands. When my dad would go to work he'd be gone for months at a time (he was a construction worker and so he would sometimes go to MN or WI to work). My mom thinks my dog knows, but I don't know. Animals can be really tuned to human emotion and stuff. But I still don't know. My cats lost weight.

So we are more worried that if we leave Duke will think we're never coming back too.

He's really a good dog. He's half Shar Pei and half Beagle. He's kind of stubborn but he's trained and knows basic commands and a few tricks. And he's not very active, like he doesn't have to go for daily walks or anything. He loves to be outside though. There's a park at the community college here and we made friends with the keeper (plus I'm friends with a couple cops) so we take Duke to the park and just let him run loose. He just does his own thing. Doesn't even pay any attention to other dogs if they are there. He loves people though. We used to take him to the nursing home my grandma was at until she died. He loved getting all the attention (and treats).

So I talked to my mom and she is still interested in going to Disneyland. But we just need to work out what will happen with the dog. I am perfectly fine going by myself and all that.

Since my dad died my mom is working on "cleaning" up around the house. My dad kept everything so she's going through and trying to see what we need to keep and what needs to go. (It kind of makes sense, because if I decided to move, she will more than likely come with me, so we'd have to do it sometime or another because all the stuff in this house will not fit into a 2 bedroom apartment with no attic or basement storage!) And she's trying to get some home repairs done (which there are a lot of).

I'm going to work on trying to plan whatever left there is of planning to the Disneyland trip and book sometime between now and September. Plus I'm going to look for a new car. I don't plan on getting anything until Estelle (that's my car's name) breaks. I'm not going to put anymore money into her. She's old. She's going to need new front brakes soon, she needs new rear struts (I don't know about the front, I haven't had anyone look at it), she has a bad rear sway bar, no parking brake, warped heads, she uses up coolant, and somethings bent in the front end that makes her pull to the right, regardless how often she gets aligned. My ex also crashed into her years ago, so she's rusting pretty bad (that's what I get for letting my dad tell me not to have my ex fix it) and someone recently hit the front passenger door and now it won't open (I noticed it when I had my car towed last month). I will say that I'm glad, even though all this stuff is wrong with her, that I only lost $1000 in value from what I paid!

I love my car. She's been such a good car until recently. But I guess that's how cars go.

I just don't know what I really want in a car except that I want to love how it drives. I know there are features that I love, like keyless start, heated seats... actually I think that's it.

Sorry for rambling. I'm really bored!

And girls, thank you so much for your support! I really appreciate it!
September 2012 - 1st Trip to Disneyland!|November 2009 - Solo Trip at POP|November 2008 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|September 2006 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|January 2004 - POP with my older sister|March 2002 - ASMo with the Frewsburg cheerleaders (first time on site!)|April 1999 - Off Site with the family|April 1998 - Off Site with the family USF only trip|July 1997 - Off Site with the family|July 1994 - Off Site with the family|January 1987 - Off Site with the family|April 1984 - Off Site with the family|June 1983 - Off Site with the family
BeckWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #92
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

We were worried about boarding our dogs before as well, but we did it and guess what, they were fine! Just check out a few places, get tours that kind of thing. Make yourself at ease with it before you leave him. Maybe you can do a few over nighters so he knows you are coming back. Its like with a kid!

Cars are fun, I just got a new truck last year and LOVE it!

If you go on the trip what days are you looking at? Who knows maybe you can hang out with my wacky family, or just me! My 2 oldest and DH are doing a ballgame the first night, so mom and I are left to do whatever, so I can go to the park with C and tour! It should be fun.

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #93
BeckWhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
We were worried about boarding our dogs before as well, but we did it and guess what, they were fine! Just check out a few places, get tours that kind of thing. Make yourself at ease with it before you leave him. Maybe you can do a few over nighters so he knows you are coming back. Its like with a kid!

Cars are fun, I just got a new truck last year and LOVE it!

If you go on the trip what days are you looking at? Who knows maybe you can hang out with my wacky family, or just me! My 2 oldest and DH are doing a ballgame the first night, so mom and I are left to do whatever, so I can go to the park with C and tour! It should be fun.
It's looking like September 26 - October 2.
September 2012 - 1st Trip to Disneyland!|November 2009 - Solo Trip at POP|November 2008 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|September 2006 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|January 2004 - POP with my older sister|March 2002 - ASMo with the Frewsburg cheerleaders (first time on site!)|April 1999 - Off Site with the family|April 1998 - Off Site with the family USF only trip|July 1997 - Off Site with the family|July 1994 - Off Site with the family|January 1987 - Off Site with the family|April 1984 - Off Site with the family|June 1983 - Off Site with the family
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #94
monkey30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckWhy View Post
It's looking like September 26 - October 2.
The exact same days as us!!!

DL Trip Report 2012
Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #95
BeckWhy

Quote:
The exact same days as us!!!
I know! I'm stalking you! Just kidding!

September 26th is actually my mom's birthday.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #96
BeckWhy

So here's what I've figured out about cars (well I'm a car girl, but these are the ones I like, all used of course):

Nissan Altima 3.5- has great features, great power, and it looks like it doesn't have high depreciation
Chrysler 300C - this is really my favorite, but it's got a high price tag and a big V8; my friend just bought one and he's getting 17 mpg around town, so it's not too bad
Hyundai Sonata 2.0t - again great features, but just released with the new body style, not sure I can afford it
Pontiac G6 GXP - this is actually the car I loved driving, I spent years telling myself I didn't love it because it isn't very attractive, but in the end, it's been my favorite to drive

I found out you can get heated seats without getting leather, so I have to decide now if I want leather or not. I've always wanted leather, but I have my dog who rides in my car a lot, and he has way long nails and I don't know how well he'll mix with the leather.

I also really like the new Audis, but I doubt I could afford one. I currently drive a Chevy, and she's been good to me so part of me wants to stick with Chevy, but the Malibu doesn't have the power I want, and the Impala SS (which does deliver the power) gets the worse fuel ratings of all the cars. I've done some research on BMWs and they seem to offer a lot, but again expensive. The Ford Taurus looks decent but my biggest draw to that is the giant 21 cu ft trunk (same with the Mercury Sable). None of these cars have I driven.

I've also been recently introduced to the Chrysler 200/Dodge Avenger. This car with the 3.6l engine offers amazing punch, and you can get one a year old for about $16,000. I'm not sure what that means though, they are new-ish cars so I don't know what reliability will be like. And if they are depreciating 35% after the first year... EEK! This is also a car I haven't driven.

I've kind of come to the conclusion I'll end up getting a Nissan Altima. I liked the car a lot, but the features are amazing! But they can be kind of price-y (I don't know how to spell it). I'm kind of upset because there are two in the south (2011 with 12k and a 2010 with 18k) that the owners are asking considerably under blue book. Clear titles and all!

My biggest debate with the Altima is do I go with a coupe or a sedan. I've driven both, and I love the looks of the coupe, but the sedan is bigger and has double the trunk size.

Oh well, I guess we'll wait and see where this goes!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #97
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I know that the Dodge 3.6L is a good engine. It goes and goes.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #98
BeckWhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I know that the Dodge 3.6L is a good engine. It goes and goes.
I'm not too worried about engines. I've been around enough to know good ones and bad ones (*cough Daimler-Chrysler 2.7L). I'm more worried about everything else: suspension, exhaust, drivetrain...

HAHAH So my neighbor crashed into my car and my dad talked to him. The guy agreed to fix my car (he's a body and paint man). I was like if it was turned into insurance I would have got $2500 for it and could have used that towards a new car! And my mechanic would have replaced the light for under $100 (I would have had to get a headlamp, but that would have been like $30).

So I had found a car I liked, it was a Chrysler. And my dad had a cow because these people who live down the street from us have a Dodge Stratus and the front end is all messed up and can't even be fixed. Of course I asked my dad what happened to the front end, he doesn't know he didn't ask. So I looked at their Stratus, they hit something. I'd say an enbankment but there was no dirt or grass.

Anyways, I don't know why I was telling that story. I forgot.

When I was dog/housesitting I watch a woman crash her couple year old Fusion into the basketball hoop pole! She new it was there because she parked her front door right next to it! Then tried to back up and turned and hit it!

It makes me so paranoid seeing people crash their new cars.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #99
BeckWhy

Hotel Woes...

OK! So some Disneyland stuff!!!

I don't know why, maybe I'm expecting some magical discount to pop up but I randomly check the price of the hotel (Best Western Park Place Inn). A couple weeks ago (before my dad died) I checked and they said they were sold out of rooms. Went back a few days later and had rooms available. Today I checked and it says they are sold out again.

I don't know where I'll stay if the BW is sold out. I mean, I know that not booking hurts me and I risk the hotel selling out, but now I just don't know where to stay! The BW offered the best of all I wanted (across the street, breakfast, cheapest... yes it was the cheapest).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #100
BeckWhy

Does anyone have a planning checklist that they are willing to give to me? I'm getting close to the 90 day mark and I really need to breakdown and start getting things actually planned and booked.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #101
monkey30

I love my Dodge!! We were never Dodge people, but got a awesome deal on a caliber back in 2007 so we bought it. DH has put 170,000km on it and no issues at all. They are mainly highway driving, so that helps. He was driving round trip to work and home 100 miles a day, and would get about 300-350miles on a tank of gas.

My uncle was a chevy guy, he bought a Nissian a few years back (4 door!) and loves it. He drove from here to Vancouver and filled up once (he said it was just over 500 miles before it got down to he had to fill!), Thats pretty awesome. Good fuel mileage, and he said he has had no issues with it. He bought it at a auction. It was a repo auction, brand new car had 250km on it!

DL Trip Report 2012
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #102
monkey30

As for disney hotels, I have no idea!We bookedDel Sol at 91/night, but I can always cancell. We have been watching prices and everything we need is sitting at 180-199/night. If I can find 2 rooms at about 60/night we might do it as it would give us more space.

DL Trip Report 2012
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #103
BeckWhy

Quote:
I love my Dodge!! We were never Dodge people, but got a awesome deal on a caliber back in 2007 so we bought it. DH has put 170,000km on it and no issues at all. They are mainly highway driving, so that helps. He was driving round trip to work and home 100 miles a day, and would get about 300-350miles on a tank of gas.

My uncle was a chevy guy, he bought a Nissian a few years back (4 door!) and loves it. He drove from here to Vancouver and filled up once (he said it was just over 500 miles before it got down to he had to fill!), Thats pretty awesome. Good fuel mileage, and he said he has had no issues with it. He bought it at a auction. It was a repo auction, brand new car had 250km on it!
I think that's great your uncle got a car at a repo auction and has had no problems. A lot of the cars here at repo auctions are trashed. People know their car is getting repoed so they put it through h - e - double hockey sticks. It's sad.

My Lumina can go about 400 miles on a take with highway driving. When I'm in the city my fuel guage will be on E and only driven about 250 miles. But when I fill it up, it's usually only 8 - 10 gallons and my tank is 18 gallons, so I don't know what that's about. I guess I could drive on E for a long time! HEHE

I do average about 17 mpg with my V6.

In a car good fuel economy is nice, but I'd rather be able to go fast. But since there are a lot of fast cars out there, fuel economy falls second for specs. For example: Chevy Impala SS runs 0-60 in I think 5.8 seconds and 1/4 mile in 13.9 seconds.

Quote:
As for disney hotels, I have no idea!We bookedDel Sol at 91/night, but I can always cancell. We have been watching prices and everything we need is sitting at 180-199/night. If I can find 2 rooms at about 60/night we might do it as it would give us more space.
Where's the Del Sol? I haven't heard of it before until you had mentioned it in your pre-trip.

The Tropicana is right next to the Best Western, and it looks nice. But I've been reading about people finding cochroaches in their rooms. Maybe that's normal for all the hotels in that area, but that weirds me out a bit.

As for price, initially I was going to stay at The Disneyland Hotel, so anything cheaper is cheap! HAHA but I do compare options, some hotels aren't worth the extra money you pay.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #104
monkey30

Del Sol shares a parking lot with Denny's. Right by the crosswalk.

DL Trip Report 2012
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #105
BeckWhy

Quote:
Del Sol shares a parking lot with Denny's. Right by the crosswalk.
That's close too. I'll have to check it out. Do you happen to have a link for it you could share?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: