Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #76
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckWhy View Post
Where about it Texas do you live? Austin is one of the cities I was considering.
I've lived in Houston and surrounding areas my whole life...Dallas area now.
Austin is nice area! My mom use to live near there as well as my aunt lives near Austin now.
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
martinolichfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #77
BeckWhy
The Tag Fairy prefers to remain an enigma ;)

I haven't forgot about you guys... I've just had some major things going on in my life. I'm not sure if I'm going to even go to Disneyland or not come this fall. It will all depend on how I'm feeling. But as soon as I'm ready to talk, I'll let you all know.
September 2011 - 1st Trip to Disneyland!|November 2009 - Solo Trip at POP|November 2008 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|September 2006 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|January 2004 - POP with my older sister|March 2002 - ASMo with the Frewsburg cheerleaders (first time on site!)|April 1999 - Off Site with the family|April 1998 - Off Site with the family USF only trip|July 1997 - Off Site with the family|July 1994 - Off Site with the family|January 1987 - Off Site with the family|April 1984 - Off Site with the family|June 1983 - Off Site with the family
BeckWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #78
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

Doesn't sound good, but we will be here waiting!

I hope you can go, no matter what it can be a good thing to get away!

September Family Trip 2012 PTR Leaving the kids at home and doing WDW Sept 2013 PTR
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #79
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Oh no! Well, I will sub anyways and I hope everything gets better.

(I'm from WNY too!)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #80
BeckWhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
Doesn't sound good, but we will be here waiting!

I hope you can go, no matter what it can be a good thing to get away!
It's not good. As for getting away, I think if I'm feeling like crud I'll go to WDW as opposed to DL because I've never been to Disneyland. I want to experience it as the wonder that is it and I don't want something that's on my mind affect it.

But there is more to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
Oh no! Well, I will sub anyways and I hope everything gets better.

(I'm from WNY too!)
What part of WNY are you from? I live in Chautauqua County... I'm about as far west as they come!
September 2011 - 1st Trip to Disneyland!|November 2009 - Solo Trip at POP|November 2008 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|September 2006 - POP with my ex-boyfriend|January 2004 - POP with my older sister|March 2002 - ASMo with the Frewsburg cheerleaders (first time on site!)|April 1999 - Off Site with the family|April 1998 - Off Site with the family USF only trip|July 1997 - Off Site with the family|July 1994 - Off Site with the family|January 1987 - Off Site with the family|April 1984 - Off Site with the family|June 1983 - Off Site with the family
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #81
BeckWhy

So we got back from Atlantic City on April 16th, and as I stated my dad was still sick. He went to the doctor's on the 18th. He had turned jaundice while we were in AC, but you couldn't tell because the lighting isn't the best in hotel rooms.

They doctor immediately set my dad up with an abdominal MRI and an appointment with a gastro...doctor, I can't spell it. The following Monday (April 23) they did a biopsy of the liver. Thursday they diagnosed my dad with metastatic ocular melanoma of the liver. The gastro doctor referred my dad to an oncologist (only one where I live) and they refused to see my dad because he didn't have health insurance.

Sunday, April 29th, we took my dad to the ER because he was throwing up blood (sorry to gross you guys out). They admitted my dad to the hospital for dehydration early Monday morning.

Monday evening the gastro doctor came (since he was the admitting doctor) and told us my dad might only last a couple weeks long, but may not even make it through the night.

My older sister made it, from NYC, by 10 pm Monday night. My little sister and nephew made it, from Raleigh, NC, by 8 am Tuesday (I was actually prepared to book her a flight home Monday night or Tuesday morning). My aunt made it, from Seattle, by noon on Tuesday. My dad died about 5 pm Tuesday, May 1st.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #82
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Oh I am so sorry for your loss.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #83
BeckWhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Oh I am so sorry for your loss.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #84
BeckWhy

I didn't post the story about my dad for sympathy... I have had my share of that over the past couple of weeks. But I know it's going to have a major effect on the Disneyland trip. I know Disneyland is planned for 4 and a half months away and a lot can change, but I can't even collect my thoughts enough to pack for a weekend away.

Well other than completely delaying my trip... my dad's death has other affects on my vacation.

My dad had wanted my mom, older sister, and I to go together. The problem is, now that my dad is gone there is no one to look over our dog and cat.
Another is no one to drive us. Now this is sort of easy to solve... just pay for parking. I just wish airport parking was cheaper (it's around $100).
Speaking of money, I'm not sure if my mom could afford to go after all the hospital and funeral expenses.
I think I've put on about 15 pounds since my dad died. I'm not really sure, I haven't stepped on a scale, but my clothes are tight, and my face looks pudgy. I really can't afford to buy new clothes and pay for a vacation also.

I'm almost positive that come September/October this trip will turn into a solo trip. I've done a WDW solo trip and LOVED it (I really don't ever want to WDW with anyone else again!), but I'm more nervous than ever traveling alone. I'm more afraid that the alone time will leave me too much time to think.

I'm probably over thinking this whole thing way too much. But I guess that's part of my personality.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
monkey30

I wish you all the best, I know what cancer can do, mom is battling it now, which is why we are going to DL, so she can have one trip with the kids.

Just remember the fun you had in AC, I am sure that is what he would prefer, and if everyone can you take the trip in his memory, since that is what he wanted as well. We are all here for you if you need to chat. Thinking of you and hoping you are doing better.

As for the weight gain, it happens, all of us deal with grief in different ways, I stress eat.... trust me lots of stress in my life! I hope you can turn things around, and get back on track.

All the best

September Family Trip 2012 PTR Leaving the kids at home and doing WDW Sept 2013 PTR
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #86
BeckWhy

Well, nothing really easy in my life right now. Unless I have a nervous breakdown or there are major attraction refurbs I think I'm going... by myself. I don't think there's anyway my mom will be able to go. My parents didn't have any money in the first place, and now my mom is going to be knee deep in medical bills.

As for me going with my older sister... we did a trip to WDW before and it was an epic fail.

So back to a solo trip. I'm really hoping Disneyland is as fun and exciting as WDW. Of course what am I talking about? I spent an entire day in bed at WDW. Hahaha

Let's see... Umm... did anyone see the major sale SouthWest just had? Normally a ticket to LAX is around $380... this sale brought it down to $250! Orlando down to $135. I almost hopped a plane! Hahaha. No Carsland yet though.

Ok, what else chaotic in my life? (At least for me....) I have to buy a car. I've owned mine since I got my license. I've text drove cars and have only found one I love driving. But when I found it I couldn't afford $30k plus on a car. Now they are hard to find. It's also not the most logical car. I'm not sure about reliability either. So I'm car shopping. This will take me longer than planning a trip to Disneyland.

And what is this? House is ending? It's one of my favorite shows. I just can't win.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #87
kaoden39
Hugs

Sometimes it feels as though life will never be easy again. I am sorry. When my dad died in 2000 it was rough for a while. There are no great words of wisdom I can pass on. I did what he always said he wanted us to do when he died and celebrated his life. We planted a tree, I got stinking drunk, I talked at his funeral telling a funny story about him. One that he totally would have approved of. I will tell you though that everyday after I drove my husband to work I stopped at the cemetery to visit his grave. I used the excuse that I wanted to keep track of when the headstone was put in. I would sit and talk to my dad. I never cried, I didn't cry for my dad until last year when my sister died.

I think the trip will be good for you. SherryE who is one of the mods on this part of the boards does solo trips regularly. I honestly think that she enjoys her time alone because then she doesn't have to please anyone but herself. Talk to her maybe she can help you come up with some ideas of what it is like to attack the parks alone.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #88
monkey30

let me know how its going. I am debating a AP and going back for a solo in end of Nov or Dec, I want to see the xmas lights.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #89
BeckWhy

If I lived my life how my dad wanted me to live my life, I'd never leave my house. I'm not joking. This may sound stupid (or naive, or something) but my dad controlled almost all aspects of my life. Where I went to college, my money... the fact that I still live at home and drive the same car I've driven for 10 years... I'm not saying that it's really a bad thing, I let him. I could have stood up to him. I came home from work every day for months crying because my dad was so mad about it.

Well anyways... I know my dad said that he wanted my mom, my sister and I all to go to Disneyland.

This is what I know now. We went to see a lawyer today, and my mom doesn't have to pay any of the medical bills. Plus anything in her name, joint accounts, or that she's a beneficiary of, she gets to keep.

The next thing is my mom doesn't work, and my dad's social security doesn't even cover my mom's bills. So come this fall, I'm not sure where she's going to stand monetary wise.

But it's looking more hopeful that my mom can go. With the exception of our dog.

Now I'm not actually worried about traveling solo except the time spent "by myself" when I can think.

But thanks for input about SherryE. I'll PM her if I think of any questions to ask her. Which I'm sure will come up.

OK time to go home.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #90
kaoden39
Hugs

I am glad that your mom doesn't have to face the medical bills. What a relief that must be. What about boarding the dog at the vet? I know our vet boards for like $35 a day.

I know that Sherry will be a great help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: