Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
RileyMom08
Earning My Ears

I've lived in Orlando for the last 20 years or so. I won't be too popular after this post but it should be said...
August is HOT. HOT, HOT, HOT!!
We plan our summer lives like a Northern would plan their snowy winters. We avoid going out in the heat of the day for extended periods of time. We have water bottles on us always and sunscreen is reapplied often.
Also, it will rain every afternoon around 5ish. It is usually mean and nasty. Heck, I think we are the lightning capital of the world. The good news is that it usually passes in an hour or so.
I'm not saying to avoid Florida in the summer but with this knowledge you can make it work. Plan some indoor activities during the rainy hour. Make sure your sleeping bags are put in the car so they don't get soaked. Stuff like that.
We have Disney water park passes and use them in the summer when our seasonal passes are blocked out. We arrive when they open and get out by 1 pm. Its fun and safe.
Plan ahead and you will have a GREAT, safe time!!
RileyMom08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

There is a good sample packing list in the FAQ section of this board, but I also thought I would include my tent camping packing list (which I alter to meet my traveling space requirements).

PACKING LIST
Personal ID, credit/debit cards, and insurance cards
Tent w/stakes and poles
Waterproofing spray and seam sealer
Dining Fly with screening (optional)
Cots (or air mattress)
Bedding w/pillows
15A Extension cord and power strip
20A Extension cord (optional, for portable ac)
Exterior light(s) and photocell timer
Small flashlight(s)
"Porta-potty", privacy enclosure, & t-paper (optional)
Camp stools or chairs
Tablecloth and clamps
Cooler and ice
Camp stove
Fire lighting devices (matches or lighters)
Cookware
Dish washing supplies
Garbage and ziplock bags
Dirty laundry bag
Laundry detergent/softner/dryer combo sheets
Small TV (or TV tuner for laptop), coax, and antenna
Movie player (DVD or Blu Ray)
Cellular phone and charger
Camera and/or camcorder
Laptop computer (most have built in DVD player)
Small folding table
Electric fan
Extra batteries
Notebook to use as diary or to make notes for next WDW trip
List containing important phone numbers, bank info, and addresses
Comfortable walking shoes and clothing (5 days)
Bathing and hygiene supplies (miniature)
Small fabric bag to carry clothes, towel, and hygiene supplies to/from CS
Towel(s), Beach and Bathing
Bathing suit(s)
Shower shoes (beach/surf shoes)
Jacket
Rain gear (umbrella and/or poncho)
First aid kit
Pain relievers, sinus relief, antacids
Prescription medications
Skin blister supplies
Sunscreen
Sunburn relief (cream or aloe)
Insect repellent
Hat
Small drinking water bottle(s)
small backpack or fanny pack
$20 in Quarters (laundry or ice)
Bicycle(s) w/helmets and rack (optional)
Adult travel games (scrabble, cards, backgammon)
Plastic Bins (2) to transport gear
Plastic drawers to transport clothing
Duffle bag(s) instead of plastic bins
Suit case(s) instead of plastic drawers
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
frankp01
Earning My Ears

We flew and camped...

Hi,

I'm one of the campers referenced earlier in this thread that flew into Orlando and camped at FW (with our folding bikes). Our trip was spectacular, everything went flawlessly. We had a few things going for us that you might not: a much more temperate season (we went mid-February), all adults, and access to Southwest flights (making the luggage virtually free). We're lightweight campers and so have an arsenal of compact and lightweight gear.

My biggest concern once we got there was that it not rain the day before we packed up or on the day we left. For one thing, packing a wet tent is not good for the tent, but it also would have weighed a ton.

It's not just the cost savings over a hotel that make FW so great. There's a feeling of 'coming home' when returning to the campground that you don't get in a hotel.

Phil
frankp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
jaredjohn4
Earning My Ears

Fly And Camp too

Last spring break we did the camp and fly vacation. It was great. We didn't tell the kids we were going south. I grabbed their suitcases and got our camper out of storage on Wednesday and headed for Disney by myself. Thursday I had the camper set up at Fort Wilderness. Friday when they got out of school, my wife and the kids went straight to the airport and flew to Orlando. They had no idea. It wasn't cheap, but the extra $1,100 for air fare doesn't go far staying on property at Disney during spring break. I took them to the airport on Sunday, then started my drive back to Illinois on Monday. Nine days at Disney is just tough to pass up anytime.

Fort Wilderness Summer 2002
Disneyland Summer 2005
Fort Wilderness Summer 2005
Fort Wilderness Summer 2008
Disneyland Spring Break 2009
Fort Wilderness Spring Break 2010
jaredjohn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjohn4 View Post
Last spring break we did the camp and fly vacation. It was great. We didn't tell the kids we were going south. I grabbed their suitcases and got our camper ....
You know at this point I'm like flying, camping, TRAILER. How to HE double hockey sticks do you fly with a trailer?

Then I'm thinking maybe you got it delivered like this.

http://youtu.be/x5mmZQYkAl8
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp01 View Post
Hi,

I'm one of the campers referenced earlier in this thread that flew into Orlando and camped at FW (with our folding bikes)............................................ .
My biggest concern once we got there was that it not rain the day before we packed up or on the day we left. For one thing, packing a wet tent is not good for the tent, but it also would have weighed a ton.
Phil
Folding bikes and all! I'm flying/camping in October, and wet weather on arrival is one of my concerns! But being the typical DISSER - definitely no OCD tendencies - I've got my arrival plans & back up plans on setting up camp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredjohn4 View Post
Last spring break we did the camp and fly vacation. It was great. We didn't tell the kids we were going south. I grabbed their suitcases and got our camper out of storage on Wednesday and headed for Disney by myself. Thursday I had the camper set up at Fort Wilderness. Friday when they got out of school, my wife and the kids went straight to the airport and flew to Orlando. They had no idea. It wasn't cheap, but the extra $1,100 for air fare doesn't go far staying on property at Disney during spring break. I took them to the airport on Sunday, then started my drive back to Illinois on Monday. Nine days at Disney is just tough to pass up anytime.
Wish you were my dad!!!! (Having said that, we grew up camping: Mom + 5 kids would spend the summer at Terra Nova National Park, and Dad would drive out each weekend after working M-F., so we did have it pretty good!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
You know at this point I'm like flying, camping, TRAILER. How to HE double hockey sticks do you fly with a trailer?
....................Then I'm thinking maybe you got it delivered like this. .....
http://youtu.be/x5mmZQYkAl8
Guess there's probably an extra baggage fee associated with bringing camper in like that, uh?

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
phillymummer
DIS Veteran

My apologies for digging up this thread, but I was searching for info on tent rentals and come across this thread.

I mm also in the situation in which I would like to fly down, but camp at The Fort. I briefly thought about packing my camping gear in a bag and checking it with the airline but I am so scared that the airline would lose my bags and we would be stuck without our camping gear! I admit, our luggage has never been lost or delayed, but there is a first time for everything right?

So to the posters here who checked their tent gear- you weren't scared it would be lost or delayed? What would you do if you got to Disney but your tent did not?

Has anyone ever shipped down their tent and gear?

Oct 2012 POFQ- First trip planned all by myself (and with plenty of help from The Dis!)
Next trip (Hopefully) 2015 to Universal!
phillymummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
MattFromPA
Earning My Ears

We considered bringing a tent and gear as checked baggage for the trip we just took, but in the end we decided to rent a pop-up. I would highly recommend it. We did a tent trip to FW last fall, but took the Auto Train from Virginia, so we had our truck and could bring as much gear as needed. I just don't think getting all the gear you need for a tent camping trip on a plane is very feasible, especially if you want to avoid baggage fees. We didn't look into shipping gear ahead of time. After having done the pop-up trip, we're sold on it and will most likely do it again in about a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymummer View Post
My apologies for digging up this thread, but I was searching for info on tent rentals and come across this thread.

I mm also in the situation in which I would like to fly down, but camp at The Fort. I briefly thought about packing my camping gear in a bag and checking it with the airline but I am so scared that the airline would lose my bags and we would be stuck without our camping gear! I admit, our luggage has never been lost or delayed, but there is a first time for everything right?

So to the posters here who checked their tent gear- you weren't scared it would be lost or delayed? What would you do if you got to Disney but your tent did not?

Has anyone ever shipped down their tent and gear?
MattFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Wouldn't ship it... like you pointed out, too risky. Ours remains with us throughout the whole trip.
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

One thing to consider:

The 4 year old may have this experience but won't remember it for very long. Do you remember stuff you did at 4?
Your husband may remember the time he had to go camping via an airplane for a very long time. :-) Make sure you are both on board. I am not sure if I would go tent camping for a week in Florida in August.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
phillymummer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromPA View Post
We considered bringing a tent and gear as checked baggage for the trip we just took, but in the end we decided to rent a pop-up. I would highly recommend it. We did a tent trip to FW last fall, but took the Auto Train from Virginia, so we had our truck and could bring as much gear as needed. I just don't think getting all the gear you need for a tent camping trip on a plane is very feasible, especially if you want to avoid baggage fees. We didn't look into shipping gear ahead of time. After having done the pop-up trip, we're sold on it and will most likely do it again in about a year.
If I am going to camp at Disney, its going to be so I can save some money. I think renting a tent or a pop-up is counterproductive to that goal.
EDIT: I was just thinking about Disney and camping and what I typed here....... and I think it goes against the idea of what camping at The Fort is all about. After reading many of the threads her, it seems that staying at The Fort offers a whole different experience from any of the resorts. It isn't just about saving money (well, maybe for some people it is) but it is also more than that. Am I right?

As far as getting all of our gear in a bag- I bet we could do it. We are kind of minimalistic campers. Most of our items are geared toward backpacking so they are compact and lightweight. Plus, I don't think we would do much of our own cooking since that would require some careful planning to avoid the need for a cooler.

I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Too many factors to figure out.

I will just keep on dreaming!

Oct 2012 POFQ- First trip planned all by myself (and with plenty of help from The Dis!)
Next trip (Hopefully) 2015 to Universal!

Last edited by phillymummer; 04-30-2013 at 05:16 PM.
phillymummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymummer View Post
As far as getting all of our gear in a bag- I bet we could do it. We are kind of minimalistic campers. Most of our items are geared toward backpacking so they are compact and lightweight. Plus, I don't think we would do much of our own cooking since that would require some careful planning to avoid the need for a cooler.
I agree about saving money. That's part of the big draw to the Fort, right?

Here's what I'm presently doing for my trip based upon flying down.

I found a large and in good shape suitcase at the local thrift shop for $3. It measures 28" X 20" x 9" and has roller wheels and a sturdy handle. It is perfect for loading up with camping supplies. I think it can be done, so I'm giving it a try.

Actually, if you are using an airline with no luggage fees, it can easily be done. Each person packs wisely, and there should be room for whatever basics are needed. Of course, there won't be room for all of the extras, but for me, it's a decision to either be there or not. So I choose to be there.
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post
One thing to consider:

The 4 year old may have this experience but won't remember it for very long. Do you remember stuff you did at 4?
Your husband may remember the time he had to go camping via an airplane for a very long time. :-) Make sure you are both on board. I am not sure if I would go tent camping for a week in Florida in August.
I honestly remember things (many things) that we did even when I was age 2. Not trying to toot, but I take this into consideration with my own kids, as they have apparently inherited the memory skill. You never know!!
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
lawrenceFletcher
No longer renting points

food option

Fortcamperrental offers to buy groceries and have them in your camper when the deliver and set it up. I always thought that was the best fly and camp option!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
MattFromPA
Earning My Ears

As far as saving money is concerned - hey, we are talking about Disney World here! The only "savings" are relative. For us, renting a pop-up made some sense, as we got a great deal on airfare. Our combined daily expense for the camper + site rental was $130. For that money we could have went with a Value resort, but for us the FW experience is very important. We really love camping and so do our kids. We know the memories made at FW are going to mean so much more to them (and us).

So to answer your question, The Fort does offer a unique experience you're not going to get anywhere else. After having been there twice now, I would say that folks truly stay there for the experience of it. Camping/RV'ing is something people either love or they don't, there is very little middle ground.

[QUOTE=phillymummer;48260626]If I am going to camp at Disney, its going to be so I can save some money. I think renting a tent or a pop-up is counterproductive to that goal.
EDIT: I was just thinking about Disney and camping and what I typed here....... and I think it goes against the idea of what camping at The Fort is all about. After reading many of the threads her, it seems that staying at The Fort offers a whole different experience from any of the resorts. It isn't just about saving money (well, maybe for some people it is) but it is also more than that. Am I right?
MattFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: