Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Elianor
Mouseketeer

Camping and Flying?

Okay, so this is going to sound stupid, but it turns out that we can probably fly in cheaper than we can drive and yet, we really want to try out the Fort Wilderness camping experience.

I was there back in 1983 and remember loving it, and my family does medieval camping with the SCA, so camping with a hot shower nearby would be no hardship. There are some things I don't understand though:

We are thinking of using a rental company to come in and set up tents/etc for us, but I need to know the following:
  • Does Disney provide transportation from the Airport to the Campground?
  • Will one of the grocery delivery companies deliver to the campground?
  • Will it be possible for a 4 year old to get around easily, is there any transportation system around the site?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, I'm just trying to get my bearings and save a little time and money.
Elianor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
motherwild
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianor View Post
Okay, so this is going to sound stupid, but it turns out that we can probably fly in cheaper than we can drive and yet, we really want to try out the Fort Wilderness camping experience.

I was there back in 1983 and remember loving it, and my family does medieval camping with the SCA, so camping with a hot shower nearby would be no hardship. There are some things I don't understand though:

We are thinking of using a rental company to come in and set up tents/etc for us, but I need to know the following:
  • Will it be possible for a 4 year old to get around easily, is there any transportation system around the site?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, I'm just trying to get my bearings and save a little time and money.
Disney has the magical express that will transport you to and from the airport.
There are grocery deliveries to FW I have never used them I think Green grocer is one of them. There are buses that run through the campground. If you are going to the park you transfer to another bus. You can take a boat to the MK. I would compare cost of what it would cost to fly if you have to pay baggage fees for camping gear.

motherwild is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:

Elianor,

I'm all about saving money wherever possible. So your questions are not stupid at all.

As the previous poster mentioned, Disney runs a bus service called Magical Express that will pick you and your luggage up at the airport and drop you off at various on-property resorts. Note that you can walk on the bus but your luggage might show up a few hours later. ME will get it to FW and FW will get it to your campsite.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Transportatio...al-express.htm

Read carefully and confirm the info here. Notice that the airlines using ME to/from the airport may work differently.

People here (especially those in cabins) have had good experiences using a web grocery provider called Garden Grocer. With GG you set up an account and give them your shopping list before you leave home. They will buy them and deliver them to your site/cabin (in the cabins the colds are even put in the fridge before people check in). You might want to plan on eating your first meal at the Fort or Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary Resort (all easily reached using Disney transporation) depending on the time you schedule your groceries to arrive. Also with GG you may want to see if you can buy ice to put in the cooler provided by your tent vendor for the cold foods. Obviously this requires some menu planning on your part to develop your grocery list. The Fort has a Trading Post which sells grocery staples (at very high prices) so you have a safety net but it is an expensive one.

http://www.gardengrocer.com/

I assume by your question about a 4-year old and transportation that you would have the 4-year old WITH YOU and not sending him/her off by themselves to catch the bus.

The Fort has 3 bus loops inside the Fort (Purple/Yellow/Orange) that run between both ends of the Fort covering all cabins and campsites. At the south end of the Fort (where you check in) you can transfer from the Fort bus to an external Disney bus network going to the Parks, Downtown Disney, etc. At the north end near Pioneer Hall/Trails End is another external bus stop/transfer point plus a boat network down at the beach. The boats run to the Magic Kingdom and the Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Resort. Some folks boat (or bus) to WL or CR for meals. People boat to MK all the time (my preference). Going to EP you can take the busses or boat to the CR, catch the monorail, transfer monorails at TTC, and monorail to EPCOT. Catch busses to DHS or AK. The Fort itself is walkable.

Lots of people all over the property use the busses without a car or rental car. Of course, you have to be patient. If you are a hurry-up Type A personality, you might be put off. But with patience and planning, Disney transport works.

Have fun and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Bama ED

PS - I have never used ME or GG but lots of folks have so I feel safe in saying what I didd.
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182

Last edited by bama_ed; 01-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Will it be possible for a 4 year old to get around easily, is there any transportation system around the site?
By themselves? An he/she read to make sure the right bus?

But but to your OP, FW has ALL the same benefits that any other WDW resort has.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
motherwild
Mouseketeer

My daughter and grandkids use the Magical Express. I think it is a wonderful thing. I didn't have to go pick them up or drop them off at the airport.
The only stupid question is the one unasked.

motherwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Elianor
Mouseketeer

You guys are so silly...of course the 4 year old can manage the bus sytem. He's already adept at my ipod and can identify every hot wheels in his massive collection!

I hadn't realized how that sounded until you guys started teasing!

I'm fairly familiar with Disney, but I wasn't sure if the same applied to the campground, after all, how many people fly in to go camping?

Thanks for clarifying the bus system, that's very helpful. I don't mind walking a mile to get to the pool, but the 4 year old gets tired and we are looking at camping in August!

My DH is not sold on the idea (he's worried that the kids will get too hot/it's too long a drive/etc.) Truthfully, he wants to stay in the value resort (it would only cost about $300 more for the trip) but I love camping and I want the kids to have this experience. We do a week in Kansas City every June and so it's not like the kids aren't used to it and with the pool and water parks, it's not like we can't get relief from the heat. I also don't think that hurricanes are a likelihood in early August!

Anyway, any tips or advice you guys have on FW would be appreciated (good loops for kids/tents, favorite sites, etc.) since Dis'ers give the best advice!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Disney Bunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I also don't think that hurricanes are a likelihood in early August!
Sorry, but hurricanes in early August ARE a likelihood. The hurricane season runs from 1 June to 30 November. Dennis hit Florida on 10 July, Andrew on 24 August and Charley on 13 August. Climatological statistics list August as the month with the third highest number of recorded storms.

Me and DH
Disney Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm fairly familiar with Disney, but I wasn't sure if the same applied to the campground, after all, how many people fly in to go camping?
There was a poster here who did fly and camp and brought their own camping gear. In their two suitcases per person they packing a tent, a screen room and bicycles, yes bicycles. They were the folding kind. They also wanted to know if they could ride their bike to get Coleman fuel offsite.

But anyway many people fly and stay in a cabin all the time. I did 11 years ago.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

My DW and I have flown in and tent camped on several trips. We packed our camping gear in two large duffles and two large suitcases (this was in the days when the airlines only charged for oversized/overweight luggage). In fact, we used this arrangement for our first trip to the fort. If you consider doing the same thing, try to only pack equipment that is multipurpose and not full sized. For instance, we packed folding camping stools instead of folding chairs; the tent, folding fabric cooler, single burner propane stove, small perc coffee pot, backpack sized cooking pots and skillet, and packed paper plates and plastic dinner ware. The next time, we will forget the stove, pots, and skillet and are taking a single electric frying pan.

No matter how you have your gear arrive, I highly suggest you pack an outdoor extension cord (20 feet is usually sufficient) and an electric light(s) to have lit when you get back after dark (I hook mine up to a photocell timer and bring a rope light). Also, bring some small flashlights for those after dark walks to the movies, to/from your campsite, and to/from the comfort station.
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

I just noticed your comment about walking a mile to the pool...actually, if you are assigned to loop 2000 there is a back way to the Meadows and the Meadows pool. Next door to loop 2000 is the group camping area and in the very back of the group camping area is a small bridge that crosses a dry to semi wet canal...that bridge leads to a sidewalk in the back of loop 900...which just happens to be across the road from the Meadows. I would estimate the walk to be...a quarter of a mile total.

Oh, by the way...I'm originally from SW MO (Springfield area). So, I'd like to say HI! to my neighbors from Jeff City.
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Elianor
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure why I thought that hurricane season was the end of August through November. Well, that does put a bit of a damper on that idea. I don't mind possibly camping in the rain, but two kids? Wet, cranky, confined kids? Ick.

It might still be worth chancing...when Mark and I were there two years ago for our anniversary (August) we didn't get so much as a sprinkle the entire time.

Hello from Jeff City! We aren't originally from here: Mark's family is from Pine Bluff Arkansas and mine is mostly from Memphis Tennessee! We like Missouri (during the summer anyway) but it's cold enough right now that I wished I lived in Florida instead!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

I'm planning on camping in October for 5-6 days at the Fort! And I'll be flying in with my gear, and poss picking some things up there. Dreamed of it back in 1980, so now I'm doing it!

Bearikins, I've copied some of your comments to my camping file! I'm collecting all the insight I can!

Elianor, I'll be reading with interest to see if you do end up doing this and to see what you pull together!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #13
h2odivers
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Elianor;43814227]Okay, so this is going to sound stupid, but it turns out that we can probably fly in cheaper than we can drive and yet, we really want to try out the Fort Wilderness camping experience.

Sorry if the questions are stupid, I'm just trying to get my bearings and save a little time and money.[/QUOT

I love camping also but my DW likes her A/C. so I tried to talk her into a Pop-up but we are renting a 32' fifth wheel which comes with a golf cart for $125 a night plus the cost of the site. This is alot more than I wanted to spend but we have talked about buying a RV for years so this will be a good to find out if we are made for the RV lifestyle. Anyways, while looking for RVs i found several companies that rent pop ups they might give you more comfort and security from storms then a tent. Besides they have A/C. FYI traditionally hurricane season actual starts June 1st every year and goes till November 30. Just a suggestion. If you want the web pages for people/companies that rent pop-ups PM me I don't want anyone to think I am advertising. Also if it's in your budget what about renting a golf cart for your trip or maybe just renting one for a day to drive around the camp ground. They rent them at the campground or there are off site companies that do. Sorry I don't have any info on them since we get a golf cart with our 5-wheel. Have fun.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You guys are so silly...of course the 4 year old can manage the bus sytem. He's already adept at my ipod and can identify every hot wheels in his massive collection!

I hadn't realized how that sounded until you guys started teasing!

Thanks for clarifying the bus system, that's very helpful. I don't mind walking a mile to get to the pool, but the 4 year old gets tired and we are looking at camping in August!

My DH is not sold on the idea (he's worried that the kids will get too hot/it's too long a drive/etc.) Truthfully, he wants to stay in the value resort (it would only cost about $300 more for the trip) but I love camping and I want the kids to have this experience. We do a week in Kansas City every June and so it's not like the kids aren't used to it and with the pool and water parks, it's not like we can't get relief from the heat. I also don't think that hurricanes are a likelihood in early August!

Anyway, any tips or advice you guys have on FW would be appreciated (good loops for kids/tents, favorite sites, etc.) since Dis'ers give the best advice!
Hurricanes are a definite possibility.

Also, Camping in KC is a bit less humid than camping in Central Florida. Just keep that in mind.

Quote:
I'm not sure why I thought that hurricane season was the end of August through November. Well, that does put a bit of a damper on that idea. I don't mind possibly camping in the rain, but two kids? Wet, cranky, confined kids? Ick.

It might still be worth chancing...when Mark and I were there two years ago for our anniversary (August) we didn't get so much as a sprinkle the entire time.

Hello from Jeff City! We aren't originally from here: Mark's family is from Pine Bluff Arkansas and mine is mostly from Memphis Tennessee! We like Missouri (during the summer anyway) but it's cold enough right now that I wished I lived in Florida instead!
Um...I'm originally from Pine Bluff. My hubby is too. Small world. We have family in the MO Bootheel and have some family in the Jeff City area too!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

I'm sure you have this whole thing locked down by now, just wnated to wish you well! hope you have a great time. How can you not? I am sorry I didn't see this sooner, i have been doing the flying into FW thing for the past 4 years and can't wait to do it again!

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS3
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: