Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
PrincessHeather'sMom
Closet Cinderella fan.

My Dad died yesterday after battling cancer for 4 years...

Needless to say I am heart broken. My Mother even more so, of course.
My DD, who was extremely close to my Dad, is not taking this well either. This is the first death she has ever experienced, and the first so close to home for me. I'm sitting here alone now for the first time since Friday night when he was rushed to the hospital. It's quiet and I'm doing so much thinking. What to do and how to handle my DD. I'm trying to make her live life as normal. It's Homecoming week and it's been hard for her. I think she will go to her dance. I'm not sure. She's with my Mom now - supporting each other. I needed to come home to take care of things. I don't know whether we should go ahead with our trip in two weeks or not . . . I think I will play it by ear and ask DD how she feels about it. Luckily I bought insurance, so I think Disney will refund some of it if we decide not to go. So much to think of. So much to do. Thanks for 'listening'. I needed someone to listen and I know all of you are out there 'listening'.

1999 Poly-MVMCP, 2006 Ft. Wilderness Cabins, 2008 POFQ, 2010 CBR-MNSSHP, 2012 POFQ!!!
Going on our 1st Disney Cruise in January!
PrincessHeather'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

So sorry for your loss.

Prayers for Gods peace and comfort in the days ahead.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Sincere condolences.

DIS Dad #749

Me (André) DW (Liane) DS (7) DS (4)
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
SkipperJ
Earning My Ears

I'm very sorry for your loss, your family will be in my prayers.

As for rescheduling the trip, I had to reschedule a trip of mine last month because my mother had emergency surgery. I didn't have insurance, and they were still more than accomodating with me changing my reservations. It may be different if the trip is cancelled outright though.
SkipperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
SkipperJ
Earning My Ears

Deleted

Last edited by SkipperJ; 09-22-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: duplicate post
SkipperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
ForAandA
Tiggerlicious

I am so sorry for your loss.

ForAandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
lightmoonstone
Mouseketeer

You and yours will be in our prayers. I am sorry for your loss.
2012- Art of Animation & All Star Movies
lightmoonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

I am so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you & your family in my prayers.

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a Dad is awful....

As far as the trip and your daughter, honestly, what would Daddy tell you to do? All of the services and such will be over by then and you will be in this dreadful lull....I've been there.....what would he tell you to do? Stay home and dwell or go to the place that he knows makes you and your daughter smile at a time when you really need to? I normally would say reschedule but somehow tonight I feel compelled to tell you to go.

God bless honey....

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
PrincessHeather'sMom
Closet Cinderella fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskayjay View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a Dad is awful....

As far as the trip and your daughter, honestly, what would Daddy tell you to do? All of the services and such will be over by then and you will be in this dreadful lull....I've been there.....what would he tell you to do? Stay home and dwell or go to the place that he knows makes you and your daughter smile at a time when you really need to? I normally would say reschedule but somehow tonight I feel compelled to tell you to go.

God bless honey....
I was thinking about this last night. He took my Mom, me and DD to our first trip to Disney World in 1999. Thus began our Disney addiction. Going through pictures for the service on Monday nite, we found pictures of him goofing around at WDW that we will be sharing with the visitors when they come Mon. nite. We were all so happy. He was so happy. DD seems to be doing well right now. Her Homecoming dance is tonight and she plans to go. Monday night on the other hand will be hard. But overall, I do believe we will be going. I think he would want that - In fact, I'm pretty sure he would insist on it.
Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. It really does help.

1999 Poly-MVMCP, 2006 Ft. Wilderness Cabins, 2008 POFQ, 2010 CBR-MNSSHP, 2012 POFQ!!!
Going on our 1st Disney Cruise in January!
PrincessHeather'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss...

Thinking of you and your family...
I hate to give advice at times like this, so I am just going to go with what I would do.. I "think" I would still go on the trip, and make a go of it. It will be hard, for sure, but probably (for me) easier than being at home...
Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
Disney Enabler
It's a great day to be alive!

Sorry for your loss.

The imprint that our loved ones leave us with are our memories of time we spent together. Going to a place where some of those happy times happened can be a wonderful reminder of those memories. Hopefully there will be smiles and laughter mixed with the tears. If you go on your trip now or put it off a bit, I know you will have a good time and your Dad will be with you in your heart.

Pixie Dust for you, your daughter, your Mom and all others who will miss your Dad.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!
Disney Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

When my dad died, we went to DisneyWorld 5 weeks after. It was a pre-planned trip, and it made me feel better to go.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Disney Gnome
Earning My Ears

I am so sorry for your loss and I can relate in a very personal way. After 7 months of taking care of my father who had a brain tumor, he passed away at the end of July. My sister, her boyfriend, my daughter, my husband and myself took care of Dad 24 hours a day during his illness. During this illness, my brother passed away suddenly and we still don't know what happened.

After the funerals, we were all so depressed and did not feel like celebrating anything. Just being around each other seemed to cause more grief as the weight of each other's grief seemed overwhelming. I decided that my family needed a clean break from the past and convinced everyone to go on a Disney Cruise together. We celebrated all of the birthdays and anniversaries that we had missed in the seven months of caring for Dad and the cruise gave us a reason to spend time together that was positive. Maybe it wasn't the best trip ever as grief was ever present but I believe it was the beginning of healing. I hope that you decide to go on your trip and that it helps you to begin the healing process. Sometimes, we need an excuse to be happy.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
ctl
Mouseketeer

So very sorry for your loss

I cannot imagine your sadness. When I lost my Grandma, she was closer to me than my Mom. Her death was very unexpected and it took me almost 4 months just to get over the overwhelming sadness and begin to function again. Although your Dad was ill for 4 years, you can never be prepared for the time when they actually leave us. I think your Dad would want you to be happy. If you choose to go on your WDW vacation you could use it as a chance to celebrate his life and the happiness you shared through the years. Hugs and prayers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: