Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
mvazul
DIS Veteran
 
mvazul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I really can't begin to guess. I'm not thrilled about Avatarland. Is this Disney's response to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? If so, I think, it will fall way short. IMHO
I completely agree. There are better movies they could have chosen from - not that I can think of any off-hand.

Michelle
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
mvazul
DIS Veteran
 
mvazul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw57 View Post
I have a secret wish (don't tell anyone) that Avatarland will go the way of the planned and announced film about thought processes (like music was handled in Fantasia) starring Richard Dreyfus as Einstein! In other words, I hope they don't go through with it......

The original Avatar, though being resurrected with 2 (!) planned sequels, has NOT sustained the general public interest of Harry Potter (which this whole thing is an obvious response to)...Potter had books driving the down-time between the first flicks and a bunch of true fans..........

Avatar: less so.

Remember Roger Rabbit land in Hollywood Studios (I think it was)? No, neither does anyone else.

And remind me again how Avatar was a Disney film, please. Or, for that matter, Star Wars. I think they have done a fine job with the Star Wars continued fandom but Disney has really only dipped their toe in the Star Wars Saga.....and THAT is a TRUE PHENOMENON of cash-flow! Anyone have Avatar toys at home? Me neither.

Anyhow, pretty long and maybe lame post.........just had time to vent and thought I would share my incredible insight, which none of you can live without

Thank you for your time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
wcw57: Just so you know- you aren't the only one who thinks the whole idea of Avatarland is a weak, feeble, lame attempt by Disney to try to compete with the WWOHP at Universal. How Disney managed to let that one slip out of their hands beats me! For the life of me I can't see how this film (and its planned sequels) will have the sustained popularity to make it viable.

I'd SO much rather see them do a massive refurb/enhancement of Epcot Future World first. That place is really becoming sad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
They should take AvatarLand and what ever is going in it and move it to Universal. Terrible waste of space. So not Disney. Makes no sense to me. At all.
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
NLD
DIS Veteran
 
NLD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,516

I'd like to see a simulator / moving combo ride... along the lines of Forbidden Journey in WWOHP.

And then a slow-moving ride for the whole family. Maybe a boat ride? Think Storybook Canal boats, but longer, and with Avatar-like scenery.

And since I'm dreaming, one more... another family ride, but with a game element... like TSM.... incorporating a way to make your own avatar.
__________________
Nicole

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report


First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yukon
Posts: 1,154

Hooray...somebody actually talking about the posted topic!

NLD, I like the idea for the slow ride...gotta have something for the little ones.
__________________
Phil'sFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
kaligal
DIS Veteran
 
kaligal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,012

I just don't care. Tried. Can't.

This Avatar thing is less interesting that a re-done Dumbo in Fantasyland. I'm actually more eager to see Dumbo than this.

I still can't believe they're spending all this money on stupid, stupid Avatar.

Think of all the stuff they could have brought back if they had spent the money that way! We could have had WOW moments all the time - lovely landscaping and topiaries, shootout, Christmas Country bears...LIGHTS OF WINTER. Etc, etc.
__________________
Yes, your kids will have fun at Uni and Epcot!
ALWAYS pee before riding the monorail!
MNSSHP > MVMCP
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #21
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation
 
larryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 2FAR2MK
Posts: 7,014

Four ride ideas.

How about "Na'vi Talk with Neytiri"? Families sit in front of a large screen and experience what it's like to exist in a Na'vi host while having mundane conversations with what appears to be a real, live Na'vi -- Neytiri, from the movie.

You'll want to arrive early to take the "Unobtanium Mine Train," a high-speed thrill ride in which guests are strapped into a runaway mine car careening down a rickety track, being chased by the bad old Army colonel, big Pandoran flying reptiles, and falling chunks of floating rock. At the end, they roll right thru the tree attack scene from the movie, in full 3D and 15,000 watts of Dolby (tm) 7.2 sound.

Don't forget to get your FastPass (tm) for the "Flight of the Ikran," a 3D motion-base simulator ride where you and 35 of your fellow guests get to experience the thrills and chills of selecting, connecting to, and taming your very own Ikran, just in time to join your fellow Na'vi in repelling a mining expedition from cutting down your big tree.

Finally, the whole family will love "Jake's Pandoran Wheelchair Adventure," the first attraction to allow non-disabled riders to experience the issues and tribulations of relying on a mechanical device for mobility -- on a strange planet where the atmosphere is poisonous and the plants want to put YOU on the menu. Riders are strapped into a manual wheelchair and led by an Avatar guide thru the wonders of Pandora, with quite a few surprises thrown in along the way!
__________________
Waiting for Godot. Or the bus to the MK, whichever comes first.
larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 11,369

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the previews. The Na'vi ride on those winged thngies at one point. They should making a themed hanging coaster ride related to that.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #23
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!
 
MouseEarsForAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I am in this world, but I am not of it.
Posts: 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the previews. The Na'vi ride on those winged thngies at one point. They should making a themed hanging coaster ride related to that.
That's what I was trying to describe!
__________________
To love is to obey. To obey is to live.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #24
Tomh
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1100 miles too far North!
Posts: 2,401

I'm gonna go with what larryz said . . . sounds AWESOME!

And, for the record, I'm actually looking forward to the Avatar Land, I think Disney can make something amazing out of it!
__________________
Tomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,999

Why not choose the Pirates of the Caribbean series? I know, we have ONE ride, but they could do soooo much. How about an Island and a big ship? Yes, I'm going there...

Maybe, an attraction relating to National Treasure (EPCOT), or Atlantis (AK). I don't know, just not feeling Avatar. Narnia could have been a good theme.

BTW, how many have been to WWOHP? I have, and it's incredible.
__________________

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #26
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.
 
LockShockBarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 3,083

I think people are staying on topic, expressing distaste over the project is kind of a way of saying "this is so stupid I can't even think of a decent ride to put there".
__________________
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Well my boys aged 6,6 & 10 cannot wait for This beautiful land to be built! They have watched the film over 50 X and get just as thrilled everytime so I actually reckon it could be a great hit with the kids! Not only that but I know plenty of people including myself who thinks the film is a brilliant creation and was hoping a sequel was in the pipeline and we got our wish! ......now for the ride my boys when asking them this question answered ....well mum wouldn't it be amazing if we could board a dragon( as they call them) an then fly through the world of Pandora like the ride ET! Fly over all the colourful plants and animals, and over the mountains above the rocks they could fit so much into a ride that showed you and made you feel like you was actually on Pandora the colours in the film could really be brought to life in a ride like this. They also said it would be fun to have a interactive que where you could touch things for example one of the plants that then change colour at a touch. It would give the feel of being in a different world, I personally think the options are endless for a land like this and quite exciting! And the tree would have to be a main feature for sure!
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #28
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 23,776

It's no secret that I am underwhelmed and disappointed in the proposed Pandora/Avatarland. That being said I hope to God that whatever they put in there, attraction-wise is something so unbelievably mind blowing, using technology we can't even fathom that there is simply no way any of us could possible have imagined such a ride. It will need to make roller coasters and simulators look like the freakin' tilt-a-whirl.

Otherwise total fail.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #29
mvazul
DIS Veteran
 
mvazul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw57 View Post
I have a secret wish (don't tell anyone) that Avatarland will go the way of the planned and announced film about thought processes (like music was handled in Fantasia) starring Richard Dreyfus as Einstein! In other words, I hope they don't go through with it......

The original Avatar, though being resurrected with 2 (!) planned sequels, has NOT sustained the general public interest of Harry Potter (which this whole thing is an obvious response to)...Potter had books driving the down-time between the first flicks and a bunch of true fans..........

Avatar: less so.

Remember Roger Rabbit land in Hollywood Studios (I think it was)? No, neither does anyone else.

And remind me again how Avatar was a Disney film, please. Or, for that matter, Star Wars. I think they have done a fine job with the Star Wars continued fandom but Disney has really only dipped their toe in the Star Wars Saga.....and THAT is a TRUE PHENOMENON of cash-flow! Anyone have Avatar toys at home? Me neither.

Anyhow, pretty long and maybe lame post.........just had time to vent and thought I would share my incredible insight, which none of you can live without

Thank you for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
wcw57: Just so you know- you aren't the only one who thinks the whole idea of Avatarland is a weak, feeble, lame attempt by Disney to try to compete with the WWOHP at Universal. How Disney managed to let that one slip out of their hands beats me! For the life of me I can't see how this film (and its planned sequels) will have the sustained popularity to make it viable.

I'd SO much rather see them do a massive refurb/enhancement of Epcot Future World first. That place is really becoming sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
They should take AvatarLand and what ever is going in it and move it to Universal. Terrible waste of space. So not Disney. Makes no sense to me. At all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
It's no secret that I am underwhelmed and disappointed in the proposed Pandora/Avatarland. That being said I hope to God that whatever they put in there, attraction-wise is something so unbelievably mind blowing, using technology we can't even fathom that there is simply no way any of us could possible have imagined such a ride. It will need to make roller coasters and simulators look like the freakin' tilt-a-whirl.

Otherwise total fail.
Agreed.
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!
 
MouseEarsForAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I am in this world, but I am not of it.
Posts: 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
How about "Na'vi Talk with Neytiri"? Families sit in front of a large screen and experience what it's like to exist in a Na'vi host while having mundane conversations with what appears to be a real, live Na'vi -- Neytiri, from the movie.

You'll want to arrive early to take the "Unobtanium Mine Train," a high-speed thrill ride in which guests are strapped into a runaway mine car careening down a rickety track, being chased by the bad old Army colonel, big Pandoran flying reptiles, and falling chunks of floating rock. At the end, they roll right thru the tree attack scene from the movie, in full 3D and 15,000 watts of Dolby (tm) 7.2 sound.

Don't forget to get your FastPass (tm) for the "Flight of the Ikran," a 3D motion-base simulator ride where you and 35 of your fellow guests get to experience the thrills and chills of selecting, connecting to, and taming your very own Ikran, just in time to join your fellow Na'vi in repelling a mining expedition from cutting down your big tree.

Finally, the whole family will love "Jake's Pandoran Wheelchair Adventure," the first attraction to allow non-disabled riders to experience the issues and tribulations of relying on a mechanical device for mobility -- on a strange planet where the atmosphere is poisonous and the plants want to put YOU on the menu. Riders are strapped into a manual wheelchair and led by an Avatar guide thru the wonders of Pandora, with quite a few surprises thrown in along the way!
Gee whiz!!! Props, larryz! Disney needs to get rid of that clause saying that they can't accept ideas from regular people!
__________________
To love is to obey. To obey is to live.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avatar, rides



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.