Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should we add a Community Sub Forum to the Budget Board?
Yes, I want a community sub-forum 43 27.56%
No, I like the Budget Board the way it is now. 113 72.44%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
MineMail
DIS Veteran

I don't think an off-topic subforum is necessary. You already have the Community Board for that purpose.

I very much appreciate the on-topic threads in this forum about saving money, creating budgets and advising, not just "how to save money at Disney" topics. The almost-free ballet slippers thread was a great find.

Most of the members are good about providing advice with a caveat of "check with a professional," so the Disboards aren't at jeopardy of someone giving out bad investment advice, lol.

However, I agree that more moderation is needed on an ongoing basis. I remember when a whole bunch of threads were moved to a more-appropriate forum and some protested, but after looking at the topics, only a few were moved in error (imo.)

Some people are new or careless about the forum they start a topic in initially. They get an idea and just post it here because they already had the forum open, not necessarily because they thought it was the right place. Others see it and think "well, it was okay for them, I'll do the same." By moderating regularly and enforcing the rules fairly/consistently, the "wrong forum" topics will be more manageable.

I don't often go to the Community Board, so I can't speak to the atmosphere there. Could it be that some of the off-topic posts here were deliberate, to try and avoid CB regulars? I have seen that on other boards, where they create little cliques. That is a more difficult issue.

Last edited by MineMail; 01-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
MineMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #32
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

I missed the vote, but I would have voted FOR a community sub-forum. It works on the Camping Board, it works on the disABILITIES Board... why wouldn't it work here?

Tuesday at 10:30 PM I see at least a dozen posts that have nothing at all to do with budgeting and would be more appropriate on a Budget Board (because the posters are comfortable here) subforum. How to learn to use a Mac book, how to use Amazon Prime for downloading, Disney wedding...
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #33
csmommy
DIS Veteran
Believes that every time you hear or see the word Disney a Tag Fairy gets their wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
Why doesn't someone just moderate this board and move off topic posts to the community board, with a trailing flag to show that it has been moved?

Seems like if someone actually was involved in moderating this board then this wouldn't be a problem.
I vote for this option.

2013 ~ 7/28-8/6 split BCV & VWL
2012 ~ 5/24 - 5/28 BWV DS 17th
2011 ~ 8/9-8/17 AKVJH & BLT
2010 ~ 8/7-14 WWOPP
2009 ~ 8/13-22 split AKVK & BCV
2007 ~ split OKW & BW
2005 ~ split AKLJH & Swan
2000 ~ POFQ
1992 ~ POFQ ~ no kids yet
1990 ~ off site
csmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #34
Rynosaur
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockundergirl View Post

I don't often go to the Community Board, so I can't speak to the atmosphere there. Could it be that some of the off-topic posts here were deliberate, to try and avoid CB regulars? I have seen that on other boards, where they create little cliques. That is a more difficult issue.
deliberately posted in the forum is a blonde joke thread. that was the first thread i see when i logged in. I have yet to go to the community board and at this point I feel there may be more budget speak there. By having any different forums at all creates cliques. So by having a separate OT forum within the forum just gives the budget board cliques the specific place just to chat
Rynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
DebMcDonald
DIS Veteran

I vote for leave it the way it is. I've been frequenting this section of the board for years and years and consider the budget board followers my friends - I've gotten great advice, great recommendations, etc. If a post doesn't appeal to me I don't need to click on it nor read it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
rockyroad
DIS Veteran

I like it the way it is now.
I would prefer that it not be changed.
rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #37
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

We don't need another community board - anything that off topic can go to the regular community board. (ok - they are way nastier there, but it is what it is) The mods can hardly police what there is now, I don't think they need another board to watch.)

If there was going to be a subforum then it should be all budget info that is not Disney. I love all of the budget items and have benefited from great deals by reading the budget board regularly, but it would just be easier if when I was planning a Disney vacation , I could go to a "Disney related" budget forum and not have to weed thorugh so many posts. I 'd like to see it separated as "Disney trips on a budget" and "everything else budget"..

I don't really see many topics that are not at all budget related. SOmetimes the title looks that way, but if your read the threads, they almost always are somehow budget related.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #38
Jordansmominjax
Earning My Ears

Keep it but enforce the rules

I think u should keep it and enforce the rules if possible. Maybe re direct people that are lost.
Jordansmominjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #39
Doug123
DIS Veteran

Pete,

Thanks for asking!

Personally, I come to the Budget Board to find deals at Walt Disney World or the Disney Cruise Line. Lately, I've been discouraged because most of the items on the board, while possibly valuable, have nothing to do with budgeting at Disney. Budgeting for Disney? Yes. Budgeting at Disney? Not so much.

Some have suggested simply enforcing the original meaning of the board. First, this has not worked (for one reason or another) up to this point, so I don't think it would fully work in the future. Second, and as I said before, the non-budgeting at Disney posts may be valuable to others. As you said, the board is a popular one.

I suggest having a separate board. It would allow those that want to budget for Disney to go to their own board, and those that want to budget at Disney to go to their own board. In the end, everyone wins.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.
Doug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Doug123
DIS Veteran

Repeat Post (oops)

Last edited by Doug123; 04-03-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Repeated post
Doug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansmominjax View Post
I think u should keep it and enforce the rules if possible. Maybe re direct people that are lost.
Yes, and while we're at it, bring aboard a "dedicated moderator", as the Budget Board, one of the most-trafficked boards on TheDIS, could benefit from having a constant moderator presence (the current moderator, "aka-mad4themouse", hasn't been heard from on TheDIS in a few years, and I think it's time to move on, since that person has obviously done the same).
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #42
JohnBilotti
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
For years this forum has moved from Disney trip financial to financial in general and then to completely discussions. Possibly the forum moderators should be more aggressive in moving the OT threads into the CB instead of having a Budget CB.

I think that keeping it to allow any financial-related discussions is a good idea.
I agree
JohnBilotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #43
JohnBilotti
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
Yes, and while we're at it, bring aboard a "dedicated moderator", as the Budget Board, one of the most-trafficked boards on TheDIS, could benefit from having a constant moderator presence (the current moderator, "aka-mad4themouse", hasn't been heard from on TheDIS in a few years, and I think it's time to move on, since that person has obviously done the same).
A tradition like no other
JohnBilotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #44
doubletrouble_vb
Inspired

Its been awhile since I've been on the disboards. I used to be here a lot but financial circumstances made Disney an unreasonable choice. I thought I'd start factoring in Disney again but knew I'd need suggestions from the budget board to help me along. A quick glance at the board told me there are topics that need to be moved to the community board. As some one mentioned previously, if the original topic does not seek monetary advice of any kind it should be moved to where it does belong...frequently the community board.

All that is required is a moderator. I really dont think this board needs to be split but if it is it should be split between budgeting tips for Disney and generally family budgeting (tips, tricks, coupons, whatever).

If a person really wants to interact with their "family" on the budget board on off topic items they can go ahead and post it there and the the "family" can follow the post to another location. And yes they will have to deal with the "strangers" that frequent the other forum. As a result maybe their "family" will grow.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #45
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansmominjax View Post
This.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: