Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Great news West Michiganders- Southwest staying at GRR

Southwest announced today that it will continue service at Gerald R Ford as Air Tran until branding changes are complete, at which time Southwest will be flying out of GRR!

Press Release:

GRAND RAPIDS – Southwest Airlines will convert its subsidiary, AirTran Airways, to Southwest operations at Gerald R. Ford International Airport and other domestic and international airports, the company announced today.

“We are committed to continuing to serve these communities – at first via Air Tran, and eventually as Southwest,” Bob Jordan, Southwest chief commercial officer and AirTran president, said in a statement.

The airports that will continue with AirTran before the operation becomes Southwest include Flint, Rochester, N.Y., Pensacola, Fla., Charlotte, N.C., Dayton, Ohio, Richmond, Va., Key West, Fla. , Washington, D.C., Memphis, Tenn., Akron-Canton, Ohio, Wichita, Kan., Des Moines, Iowa, Branson, Mo., and Portland, Maine.

Of the 69 cities served by AirTran when Southwest acquired it on May 2, 2011, 53 are expected convert to Southwest service.

Jordan said fuel costs contributed to the company's decision to discontinue service in some locations.

The Dallas-based Southwest Airlines serves 72 cities in 37 states. It has more than 3,300 flights a day.

AirTran's service at Gerald R. Ford International Airport began in May 2010.

Published: Friday, January 20, 2012, 3:17 PM Updated: Friday, January 20, 2012, 3:25 PM
John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press By John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

YaY!!!!!!!!!!

We got a great deal on Air Tran for our trip this March ($200 non-stop round trip) and I was concerned that that would never happen again. If AT/Southwest pulled out, you can bet flights would go way up! Glad to hear they plan on hanging around for a while.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
lotus14
All This Disney Research Is Hurting My BRAIN!

Are the flights on AirTran/Southwest direct? Which airport do they use in Florida?
2011: POP-Free Dining, Adults Only
2009: OKW-Free Upgrade, Free Dining
lotus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus14 View Post
Are the flights on AirTran/Southwest direct? Which airport do they use in Florida?
My friend has had direct and Transfers in Midway and Baltimore, MD. They fly into MCO So orlando. Thank you SWA for answering my Prayers and making my life easier
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus14 View Post

I just did a pretend booking for Niece who is flying from GRR on May 3rd and coming home May 10. She can Fly nonstop both ways leaving appox 12p from GRR and 2p from MCO.
Or there is 2 stops one in Baltimore, MD and one in Atlanta, GA
Or just 1 stop in BAltimore.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
I just did a pretend booking for Niece who is flying from GRR on May 3rd and coming home May 10. She can Fly nonstop both ways leaving appox 12p from GRR and 2p from MCO.
Or there is 2 stops one in Baltimore, MD and one in Atlanta, GA
Or just 1 stop in BAltimore.
The non stop flights are the ones we are on this March on our way to WDW.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
kstorms27
Mouseketeer

Local news reports today say that GRR is going to make a major announcment Monday morning. Really hoping it means SWA is ready to take over. Really hope they continue with the non-stop flights that AirTran has been providing. I did check SWA at Flints Bishop airport and they are offering non-stop.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorms27 View Post
Local news reports today say that GRR is going to make a major announcment Monday morning. Really hoping it means SWA is ready to take over. Really hope they continue with the non-stop flights that AirTran has been providing. I did check SWA at Flints Bishop airport and they are offering non-stop.
Oh I hope this is what the announcement is!! Ready to do away with baggage and change fees!!!!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
SooooznQ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Southwest announced today that it will continue service at Gerald R Ford as Air Tran until branding changes are complete, at which time Southwest will be flying out of GRR!

Press Release:

GRAND RAPIDS – Southwest Airlines will convert its subsidiary, AirTran Airways, to Southwest operations at Gerald R. Ford International Airport and other domestic and international airports, the company announced today.

“We are committed to continuing to serve these communities – at first via Air Tran, and eventually as Southwest,” Bob Jordan, Southwest chief commercial officer and AirTran president, said in a statement.

The airports that will continue with AirTran before the operation becomes Southwest include Flint, Rochester, N.Y., Pensacola, Fla., Charlotte, N.C., Dayton, Ohio, Richmond, Va., Key West, Fla. , Washington, D.C., Memphis, Tenn., Akron-Canton, Ohio, Wichita, Kan., Des Moines, Iowa, Branson, Mo., and Portland, Maine.

Of the 69 cities served by AirTran when Southwest acquired it on May 2, 2011, 53 are expected convert to Southwest service.

Jordan said fuel costs contributed to the company's decision to discontinue service in some locations.

The Dallas-based Southwest Airlines serves 72 cities in 37 states. It has more than 3,300 flights a day.

AirTran's service at Gerald R. Ford International Airport began in May 2010.

Published: Friday, January 20, 2012, 3:17 PM Updated: Friday, January 20, 2012, 3:25 PM
John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press By John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I love SW, and I missed their announcement. Thats SO much handier than DTW or MDW!! Thanks!!

SooooznQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

AirTran has extended their schedule through September, but there are NO flights from GRR in that extension. I checked the SWA site and they have not yet extended their dates. Hmmmm...maybe I'll be flying SWA for the first time in November???

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
kstorms27
Mouseketeer

Although nothing is official yet, at least until after their 11am news conference this morning, you can now book flight out of Grand Rapids on Southwest website. Also, they are offering non-stop flights which is great news.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorms27 View Post
Although nothing is official yet, at least until after their 11am news conference this morning, you can now book flight out of Grand Rapids on Southwest website. Also, they are offering non-stop flights which is great news.
I'm about ready to book a flight today out of GRR to MCO just because I can. The thought of being able to take a 20 minute bus ride to the airport is... heavenly

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Now I just need to wait until they open up November. I am going to miss AirTran and their business class upgrades but it will be nice to watch the purple planes fly over our house I am so glad SWA decided to keep a nonstop option too. I just hope it isn't a 10am return home.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
Now I just need to wait until they open up November. I am going to miss AirTran and their business class upgrades but it will be nice to watch the purple planes fly over our house I am so glad SWA decided to keep a nonstop option too. I just hope it isn't a 10am return home.
It looks like the latest scheduled return currently is 1PM with 2 stops.
But bad news bears- 10AM nonstop return flight

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: