Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a pretty good plan !

At that age my guys also loved going on Living with the Land (right next to Soarin') they also liked Spaceship Earth (might be too dark for some though). They also didn't mind Maelstrom .. they pretty much liked all the slow moving and boat-type rides.
I still can't get them on Splash Mountain though !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
Sounds like a pretty good plan !

At that age my guys also loved going on Living with the Land (right next to Soarin') they also liked Spaceship Earth (might be too dark for some though). They also didn't mind Maelstrom .. they pretty much liked all the slow moving and boat-type rides.
I still can't get them on Splash Mountain though !!
Thanks!

I've thought about Living with the Land, especially if we will be in that pavilion anyway for Soarin'. Spaceship Earth is another option; I don't think the darkness will frighten DS as long as we're with him, but who knows?

You've got to work on getting those boys onto Splash. They don't know what they're missing!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Help us choose a stroller!

I'm dealing with some internal strife -- something I like to call The Great Stroller Debate. It's a seemingly endless back-and-forth I have with myself over whether to take our stroller or buy a new one (and if we buy a new one, which one to buy).

You see, I'm a bit of a stroller hoarder. We have the Chicco Cortina that we got as part of a travel system before DS was born. The Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat is pretty darn spectacular and the stroller has some awesome features, too, but it ... is ... HUGE. It takes up the entire length of the back of my car (a small SUV), and it doesn't leave room for much else. It stays in our garage and for now I use it to take DS for walks around the neighborhood, but he's close to outgrowing it since it isn't very wide.

About six months ago, I started researching other strollers and kept coming back to Maclarens and the Baby Jogger City Mini. We bought a Maclaren Volo off eBay (I think Maclaren sells discontinued and/or overstocked items there) back over the summer. It's nice enough but doesn't give DS any back support; it's an "umbrella stroller" in the truest sense. So not long after that, we bought a Maclaren Quest -- also off eBay, but from an independent seller. It's perfect for airports, trips to the mall and things like that, but I'm thinking for a full day at a theme park, I want DS to have more of a "travel stroller."

I think I was here on the DIS (most likely) when, a few months ago, I first heard about the Britax B-Agile, which sounds like a refined version of the City Mini. I was leaning toward getting it for our trip (and to replace the Chicco as our around-the-neighborhood stroller) when news broke of the 2012 City Mini.

From what I understand, the 2012 City Mini has the same features as the B-Agile (the kick bar swoops down, giving you easier access to the basket, and the stroller locks automatically when it's closed). It's about $50 more than the B-Agile, but I'm all about supporting original thinking and design -- but I'm also all about saving money where I can.

So, what do you think we should do?
  1. Use our Maclaren Quest?
  2. Buy the Britax B-Agile?
  3. Buy the 2012 Baby Jogger City Mini?

If you have experience using any of them at Disney, I would love to hear about it!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Hi! Another May DISer joining in. Planning the trip's almost as much fun as the trip itself, so I enjoy reading about other people's plans.

How exciting planning your little one's first visit to Disney. Our kids were 7, 6, and 5 on their first trips--Now they're 18, 16, and 9. They still love going!

As for your stroller struggle---Well, it's been way too long since I've used one, so I'm no help!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Followed you over from my PTR. Your plans sound great so far and your DS so so very cute! I'm not done getting caught up but wanted to mark my place. My DH had never been to WDW before either and I took him for his first time in 2003. He's been a convert ever since. And I have to say that I didn't even know that a PnP mattress existed!!! I've just been putting a quilt down on ours to cushion it more for DS. It worked when we went to Pensacola in August. I'm hoping it works again for Disney. Otherwise I"m going to be wishing I had one of those mattresses
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #21
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
I'm dealing with some internal strife -- something I like to call The Great Stroller Debate. It's a seemingly endless back-and-forth I have with myself over whether to take our stroller or buy a new one (and if we buy a new one, which one to buy).

You see, I'm a bit of a stroller hoarder. We have the Chicco Cortina that we got as part of a travel system before DS was born. The Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat is pretty darn spectacular and the stroller has some awesome features, too, but it ... is ... HUGE. It takes up the entire length of the back of my car (a small SUV), and it doesn't leave room for much else. It stays in our garage and for now I use it to take DS for walks around the neighborhood, but he's close to outgrowing it since it isn't very wide.

About six months ago, I started researching other strollers and kept coming back to Maclarens and the Baby Jogger City Mini. We bought a Maclaren Volo off eBay (I think Maclaren sells discontinued and/or overstocked items there) back over the summer. It's nice enough but doesn't give DS any back support; it's an "umbrella stroller" in the truest sense. So not long after that, we bought a Maclaren Quest -- also off eBay, but from an independent seller. It's perfect for airports, trips to the mall and things like that, but I'm thinking for a full day at a theme park, I want DS to have more of a "travel stroller."

I think I was here on the DIS (most likely) when, a few months ago, I first heard about the Britax B-Agile, which sounds like a refined version of the City Mini. I was leaning toward getting it for our trip (and to replace the Chicco as our around-the-neighborhood stroller) when news broke of the 2012 City Mini.

From what I understand, the 2012 City Mini has the same features as the B-Agile (the kick bar swoops down, giving you easier access to the basket, and the stroller locks automatically when it's closed). It's about $50 more than the B-Agile, but I'm all about supporting original thinking and design -- but I'm also all about saving money where I can.

So, what do you think we should do?
  1. Use our Maclaren Quest?
  2. Buy the Britax B-Agile?
  3. Buy the 2012 Baby Jogger City Mini?

If you have experience using any of them at Disney, I would love to hear about it!
I had the same debate with myself before purchasing the Britax B-Agile. But now that we have it and we've used it some I can say it's definitely the single most BEST baby purchase I have made in the last 2 years. I love it, DH loves it, DS loves it. We're actually selling our huge travel system because we love the Britax so much. Anyways, I know you're on my report so you'll see a full use report on there but if/when you decide to buy it, go with Amazon or something like that. I got it for way cheaper on there.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Are we like some bizarre FL twins? haha. The reason I saw this is because you internal stroller struggles!!

We used to have the Chicco Cortina. A few months ago I bought the B-Agile. Here is a copy and paste of my Amazon review!

If only this stroller had come out back in 2010! It didn't exist just yet, so I had registered and received a Chicco Cortina travel system. While I loved the Keyfit 30 car seat, the stroller was another story. As baby got bigger over the course of her first year, the stroller seemed to get heavier and bulkier. I knew I wanted to get an umbrella stroller for the toddler years, but a friend recommended I ditch the Chicco and get a whole new light weight stroller.

I eyed the City Mini, having heard many happy reviews. While the Britax is *very* similar, having read other reviews, it seemed to take the best parts of the City Mini, make it its own, and improve on it. I decided on the B-Agile, and I can say after using it for 2 months, I am a very happy Mommy! The stroller folds and opens with easy. It takes up a small piece of real estate in my Accord's trunk. The handling is awesome, and it strolls just as well in grass as on the sidewalk. When my toddler has made a couple of spills or food stains, a little soap and water lifts the stain with ease on the red fabric. I also love the generous sunshade; it is perfect when out in the Florida sun.

My daughter used to get fussy after spending a lot of time in the Chicco, whereas she seems happy as a clam in the B-Agile. I get lots of compliments when I take this stroller out for a spin. Since it goes up to 55 pounds, this will be the stroller that will take us through the rest of the toddler years!

Months later, I still love our B-Agile. I am so happy we ditched the Cortina, as opposed to keeping it and getting an umbrella stroller. If you google the BA ---look for the video review from baby gizmo.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #23
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Hi! Another May DISer joining in. Planning the trip's almost as much fun as the trip itself, so I enjoy reading about other people's plans.

How exciting planning your little one's first visit to Disney. Our kids were 7, 6, and 5 on their first trips--Now they're 18, 16, and 9. They still love going!

As for your stroller struggle---Well, it's been way too long since I've used one, so I'm no help!
Welcome!! Thanks so much for joining in. I agree that planning is half the fun, and I am SO happy to hear your kids still enjoy Disney trips! I am a obviously a huge fan, and I'm hoping at least one of our kids (we only have one so far, but we hope to have more) loves it like I do. You've given me hope, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Followed you over from my PTR. Your plans sound great so far and your DS so so very cute! I'm not done getting caught up but wanted to mark my place. My DH had never been to WDW before either and I took him for his first time in 2003. He's been a convert ever since. And I have to say that I didn't even know that a PnP mattress existed!!! I've just been putting a quilt down on ours to cushion it more for DS. It worked when we went to Pensacola in August. I'm hoping it works again for Disney. Otherwise I"m going to be wishing I had one of those mattresses
Oh, I'm sure a quilt works just as well. We mainly got the mattress to travel with, but we also kept DS in the PnP next to our bed for the first few months. Since we hope to have more kids down the road, we figured it was a good investment -- the so-called "mattress" that comes with the PnP is too darn hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
I had the same debate with myself before purchasing the Britax B-Agile. But now that we have it and we've used it some I can say it's definitely the single most BEST baby purchase I have made in the last 2 years. I love it, DH loves it, DS loves it. We're actually selling our huge travel system because we love the Britax so much. Anyways, I know you're on my report so you'll see a full use report on there but if/when you decide to buy it, go with Amazon or something like that. I got it for way cheaper on there.
Yay! Yes, I'm definitely planning to use Amazon. I've been comparing prices, and theirs are definitely the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
Are we like some bizarre FL twins? haha. The reason I saw this is because you internal stroller struggles!!

We used to have the Chicco Cortina. A few months ago I bought the B-Agile. Here is a copy and paste of my Amazon review!

If only this stroller had come out back in 2010! It didn't exist just yet, so I had registered and received a Chicco Cortina travel system. While I loved the Keyfit 30 car seat, the stroller was another story. As baby got bigger over the course of her first year, the stroller seemed to get heavier and bulkier. I knew I wanted to get an umbrella stroller for the toddler years, but a friend recommended I ditch the Chicco and get a whole new light weight stroller.

I eyed the City Mini, having heard many happy reviews. While the Britax is *very* similar, having read other reviews, it seemed to take the best parts of the City Mini, make it its own, and improve on it. I decided on the B-Agile, and I can say after using it for 2 months, I am a very happy Mommy! The stroller folds and opens with easy. It takes up a small piece of real estate in my Accord's trunk. The handling is awesome, and it strolls just as well in grass as on the sidewalk. When my toddler has made a couple of spills or food stains, a little soap and water lifts the stain with ease on the red fabric. I also love the generous sunshade; it is perfect when out in the Florida sun.

My daughter used to get fussy after spending a lot of time in the Chicco, whereas she seems happy as a clam in the B-Agile. I get lots of compliments when I take this stroller out for a spin. Since it goes up to 55 pounds, this will be the stroller that will take us through the rest of the toddler years!

Months later, I still love our B-Agile. I am so happy we ditched the Cortina, as opposed to keeping it and getting an umbrella stroller. If you google the BA ---look for the video review from baby gizmo.
Seriously, it's like we're the same person! Thanks for sharing your review. And funnily enough, Baby Gizmo's is the first video review I watched when I started my research. Hollie really sold it for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Plan for Day 2: Animal Kingdom

Sooo I’m thinking about swapping parks between Day 1 and Day 2, going to Animal Kingdom when we arrive Wednesday and saving Epcot for Thursday – mainly because I feel there’s more for us to do at Epcot, and it would be nice to split it into two halves of one day.

Regardless of which park we visit on Day 2 (for now let’s say Animal Kingdom), we will wake up and have breakfast in our room, then either take the bus or drive to the park in time for rope drop. (Does Animal Kingdom do a big opening ceremony like the Magic Kingdom?) DH and I really like Flame Tree Barbecue, so I probably won’t make an ADR for this day – at least not for lunch. And I don’t see us staying in the park all day, or returning after a midday rest. This will be our “easy” day.

Attractions to aim for:
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris – For DS’ love of animals.
  • Maharajah Jungle Trek – More animals…
  • Pangani Forest Exploration Trail – …and even more.
  • The Boneyard – DS can spend hours on a playground.
  • Affection Section – Who doesn’t love a petting zoo? We might end up pushing this one down the list since you have to take that ssllloooowwwww train to get there.
  • TriceraTop Spin – Dumbo with dinosaurs!
  • Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade – If we’re still in the park when parade time rolls around, this could be fun chance for DS to see all sorts of characters.
  • DINOSAUR – DH and I might do rider swap for this one, or any others that interest us.
After leaving the park and (hopefully) getting DS a good nap, I’d like to spend the evening in the pool or at the Dig Site – or maybe at Downtown Disney, or even Epcot if we add park hopping to our passes. We will see how we feel. Early night this night, as the next day is … Magic Kingdom Day!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #25
Rienchen
Real Life Mary Poppins

we'll be there around the same time

CSR May 2nd to May 12th

Think I need to celebrate cinco de mayo at Mexico in Epcot ;-)

Edit to add...I have the Baby Jogger City Mini on my wishlist for when I have a baby, but the B Agile looks even better. It's slightly different over here(UK)in that the b-agile is a 4 wheel stroller. The US version looks great, might have to import myself one ;-)
Disneyland Paris Daytrips in 1998, 1999 and 2002 Disneyland Paris 2 Days/1 Night at the Sequoia Lodge in 1998 Disneyland Paris 3 Days/2 Nights at the Hotel Cheyenne in 2000Walt Disney World April 2004 2 Days(Off Site Youth Hostel) Mother Daughter Trip to WDW offsite April 2006 WDW December 2008 ASMu

2 nannies on a mission to find Mary Poppins at Disneyland Paris-a November 2011 Trip Report

Dining Review in Progress: Please take a guess how much we cost the Mouse?

Last edited by Rienchen; 02-02-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Your Animal Kingdom plans look great!

Any interest in seeing some shows? Finding Nemo, or Festival of the Lion King?

Also, I don't know how your DS feels about characters (afraid or not), but there are several characters in Camp Minnie-Mickey. It's over near the FOTLK theater. The characters are dressed in their safari clothes---really cute.

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rienchen View Post
we'll be there around the same time

CSR May 2nd to May 12th

Think I need to celebrate cinco de mayo at Mexico in Epcot ;-)

Edit to add...I have the Baby Jogger City Mini on my wishlist for when I have a baby, but the B Agile looks even better. It's slightly different over here(UK)in that the b-agile is a 4 wheel stroller. The US version looks great, might have to import myself one ;-)
Hello! Thanks for joining in! So cool to hear you will be at CSR the same time as us. Have you stayed there before? And I agree -- definitely spend some time in Mexico on Cinco de Mayo (or, as I like to call it since my family and friends call me Tee, Cinco de Tee-oh ).

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our B-Agile; I can't wait to test it out! There are quite a few people on the boards who are fans of the B-Agile, but a lot of people love the City Mini, too, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Your Animal Kingdom plans look great!

Any interest in seeing some shows? Finding Nemo, or Festival of the Lion King?

Also, I don't know how your DS feels about characters (afraid or not), but there are several characters in Camp Minnie-Mickey. It's over near the FOTLK theater. The characters are dressed in their safari clothes---really cute.
Yes, I would LOVE to see some shows. I'm a huge fan of the Nemo musical, and though we've never seen FotLK, I've heard such great things about it. If we're around one of the theaters near showtime and can get in, I'm all for it.

I don't know how DS will do with characters, either. He did OK with Santa, but that's a little different. We have an ADR for Crystal Palace, but it's on our last day, so I can cancel it if we see that he's scared of them. I have a feeling his first Disney trip will be a learning curve for us all!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Subscribing! I'm another May Dis'er! Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Subscribing! I'm another May Dis'er! Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS!
YAY! Welcome, and yes -- geaux Tigers!!

When are you going to be there?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Change of plans

I recently realized the Flower & Garden Festival will be going on while we're there. We've never seen it before (we usually visit at Food & Wine time), but I'm eager to see the topiaries, and I think DS will like them, too.

So now we're planning to go to Animal Kingdom and spend a half-day there for our first day, and spend the day at Epcot (with a midday break) on our second day.

The third day is definitely Magic Kingdom Day. I'll post plans for that one soon...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: