Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #151
Maestra99
Mouseketeer

Almost time to hit the road!!!

Best wishes and pixie dust for a magical trip!!!

Side note: good call on Buffalo Wild Wings! It's my DH's all-time favorite and we try to eat there while in Orlando, though we go to the one on I-Drive. Enjoy!

198? ~~ 1999 ~~ July 2009 Honeymoon @ AKL ~~ Sept. 2010 POP ~~ Nov. 2010 quickie trip @ Swan Feb. 2011 solo trip : ~~ Oct. 2012 @ POFQ!!
Blair | Dave | Miles 8/13/11 | Ozzy
Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #152
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Woohoo!!! Have a safe drive and an awesome first day!!! So jealous!! Can't wait to see pictures! I'm thinking about POFQ for a weekend trip in December - so I hope you enjoy your resort and can give me your thoughts on it!!
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #153
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Have a blast!! I saw a Mickey shaped cloud in the sky this morning on my way to work, and it made me think of your trip today. Maybe it means some extra pixie dust during the trip!!

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #154
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

Have a safe trip. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #155
Rienchen
Real Life Mary Poppins

We walked past you guys at the magic kingdom twice yesterday, once outside dumbo and once outside columbia harbour house.
Andrew looked adorable in his plaid shorts and Mickey tshirt :-)
Disneyland Paris Daytrips in 1998, 1999 and 2002 Disneyland Paris 2 Days/1 Night at the Sequoia Lodge in 1998 Disneyland Paris 3 Days/2 Nights at the Hotel Cheyenne in 2000Walt Disney World April 2004 2 Days(Off Site Youth Hostel) Mother Daughter Trip to WDW offsite April 2006 WDW December 2008 ASMu

2 nannies on a mission to find Mary Poppins at Disneyland Paris-a November 2011 Trip Report

Dining Review in Progress: Please take a guess how much we cost the Mouse?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #156
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday!!

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)

Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #157
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
I'd try Turtle Talk if you have time and Living with the Land.You are going to have such a great time!!! Enjoy yourself tomorrow. Lucky girl!
We did a combination of our must-dos, maybe-dos and some of the attractions you suggested. The best-laid plans and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Have a safe and magical trip!
Thank you! We definitely did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
You're leaving tomorrow! You're leaving tomorrow!!!!

That's so exciting! I hope departure day goes smoothly, and that you all have an awesome trip! Make lots of memories with your DS and DH!
You are still there, but I'm home now. Boo. I hope you rocked the EE5K (I'm sure you all did) and are enjoying your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestra99 View Post
Almost time to hit the road!!!

Best wishes and pixie dust for a magical trip!!!

Side note: good call on Buffalo Wild Wings! It's my DH's all-time favorite and we try to eat there while in Orlando, though we go to the one on I-Drive. Enjoy!
We LOVE BWW! We enjoyed it as usual, but it sure was different being there with a toddler. Usually we are watching sports and drinking! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Woohoo!!! Have a safe drive and an awesome first day!!! So jealous!! Can't wait to see pictures! I'm thinking about POFQ for a weekend trip in December - so I hope you enjoy your resort and can give me your thoughts on it!!
POFQ was pretty darn perfect. I'll write more about it in my TR, but its size can't be beat.

Quote:
Have a blast!! I saw a Mickey shaped cloud in the sky this morning on my way to work, and it made me think of your trip today. Maybe it means some extra pixie dust during the trip!!
Aww, how sweet! I could've sworn I saw one, too, as we were driving on I-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
Have a safe trip. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rienchen View Post
We walked past you guys at the magic kingdom twice yesterday, once outside dumbo and once outside columbia harbour house.
Andrew looked adorable in his plaid shorts and Mickey tshirt :-)
Oh, how funny. I wish you would've stopped us! It would've been nice to meet a fellow DISer. I hope you're enjoying your trip!

Quote:
Happy Birthday!!

Thank you so much! That is so sweet.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #158
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

We're home!

Thanks so much for the well wishes, everyone! Our trip was fantastic -- completely different from any trip I've taken before, but magical in its own way.

We got home yesterday evening, and today I'm unpacking and doing (loads and loads of) laundry while DH does the grocery shopping (I sent him with a detailed list, lol).

I'm planning to take a few days to decompress and gather my thoughts before starting my trip report, but I'll be sure to post a link once it's up.

I hope all of your trips are as amazing as ours was!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #159
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
Thanks so much for the well wishes, everyone! Our trip was fantastic -- completely different from any trip I've taken before, but magical in its own way.

We got home yesterday evening, and today I'm unpacking and doing (loads and loads of) laundry while DH does the grocery shopping (I sent him with a detailed list, lol).

I'm planning to take a few days to decompress and gather my thoughts before starting my trip report, but I'll be sure to post a link once it's up.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #160
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post

Welcome back. You mentioned posting a link when the TR goes live. I think all you need to do is tell the mod for this board to move your thread to the TR boards, so you can keep it all here.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #161
drsvanhorn
Earning My Ears

Just found your PTR, and now I'm anxiously waiting your TR. I'm considering doing my own PTR to help pass the time until our Sept 1-9 trip this year!!

Hope Andrew enjoyed his first trip to the World, my DS3 will have his first trip in Sept.

July 1983- FW cabins
July 1985- FW cabins and Seaworld
July 1993- Contemporary
Jan. 2005- Doubletree DTD, for 3 on 3 b-ball tournament with school
Dec. 2006- DD 1st trip to MK
Sept 30-Oct 1 2007- AllStar music, DH 1st trip, DD 1st trip onsite
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #162
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!
Yay! I'm looking forward to writing more about it and sort of reliving it.

Quote:
Welcome back. You mentioned posting a link when the TR goes live. I think all you need to do is tell the mod for this board to move your thread to the TR boards, so you can keep it all here.
Oh, cool. Thanks for the tip. I PM'd OhMari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvanhorn View Post
Just found your PTR, and now I'm anxiously waiting your TR. I'm considering doing my own PTR to help pass the time until our Sept 1-9 trip this year!!

Hope Andrew enjoyed his first trip to the World, my DS3 will have his first trip in Sept.
Write a PTR, write a PTR, write a PTR! It's such a fun way to pass the time.

Andrew definitely enjoyed himself, and I know your son will, too. How could he not? It's Disney!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #163
drsvanhorn
Earning My Ears

[/QUOTE] Write a PTR, write a PTR, write a PTR! It's such a fun way to pass the time.

Andrew definitely enjoyed himself, and I know your son will, too. How could he not? It's Disney! [/QUOTE]

I took your advice and started my PTR. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post44827983

July 1983- FW cabins
July 1985- FW cabins and Seaworld
July 1993- Contemporary
Jan. 2005- Doubletree DTD, for 3 on 3 b-ball tournament with school
Dec. 2006- DD 1st trip to MK
Sept 30-Oct 1 2007- AllStar music, DH 1st trip, DD 1st trip onsite
Old 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #164
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I took your advice and started my PTR. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post44827983
Yay! I'm heading over there right now...

Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #165
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Day 1, Part 1 - Our Arrival

In an effort to take my time reliving our trip (and to not bore you all with constant updates), I am writing my report in pieces (Day 1, Part 1; etc.). I didn't take copious notes this trip, but I did jot some things down. I'm also looking at our pictures and receipts to help jog my memory. So as Peter Pan says, here we GO!

Plans:
Leave home after lunch and make the two-hour drive to WDW. Check into POFQ, unpack and rest or explore a bit, then get ready for our portrait session and head over to the Poly. After our session, have dinner before returning to POFQ to explore and maybe swim. Go to bed at our usual bedtime (especially DS).

Actual:
I woke up at my usual time and went for a run. When I got home, Nick and Andrew were up, so Nick went to the gym while I made breakfast for Andrew. When Nick got back from working out, I took a shower, and Andrew and I went to Walmart for a few things while Nick ran a few errands of his own. He took a shower when he got home while I did my makeup.

By then it was time for lunch. I made us sandwiches and set Andrew up in his high chair while Nick loaded the car. After he and I ate, it was time to hit the road. We left a little after noon, and Andrew was asleep before we hit the interstate. He slept most of the way there, waking up once but falling back asleep. As you can see, he was out cold!

He woke up for good as we drove onto property, so we pointed out the characters on the welcome sign (sorry, Mickey ... I cut you off!) and all of the sights.

The drive takes us almost exactly two hours door to door, and we were checking in at Port Orleans French Quarter at 2 p.m. I had done online check-in 10 days prior, so I picked up our packet, which included a birthday button for me, and asked for a First Visit button for Andrew.

While I was checking in, Nick and Andrew were playing near the fountain in the lobby (the kid *loves* water), then wandered into the gift shop, which is where I found them. We drove over to Building 4 and lugged our stuff to our room, 4126. Wow, what a great location!

We had a corner room right next to the food court, which was super convenient. Even though we didn't eat there (well, we got dessert once), we went there to fill our Camelbak bottles with ice and water every morning. It was a much shorter walk than the walk to the ice machine, which I think was in Building 7. The only time our room location sucked was around 3 a.m. every night. A CM area was catty-corner to our room, and every night I heard CMs talking -- scratch that, *yelling* -- outside. It sounded like they were standing on our doorstep. It got so bad the second night that I was about to call the front desk when they finally shut up. Luckily they never woke up Nick or Andrew (I'm the light sleeper of the group).

We last stayed at POFQ in April 2010, pre-renovation. The changes aren't dramatic, but I like what I saw. I love purple, gold and green together, and I really like the tile in the bathroom, too (I am not, however, a fan of the dark green wainscoting). Even Nick noticed the changes, which pleasantly surprised me.

I called the front desk for a Pack 'n Play since there wasn't one in our room. We also noticed that the fridge wasn't on, but later we saw that it wasn't plugged in. I'm glad we didn't call about that! That would've been embarrassing.

We unpacked a bit and set off to explore. Our first stop? Mardi Grogs! Nick got a Michelob Ultra, I got a Pina Colava (pina colada, Bacardi Razz and raspberry puree ... holy YUM!) and we got a water for Andrew. Our total was $17.71, including tip.

We walked over to the pool, where the afternoon dance party was starting. The CMs were dancing with kids to "Pumpin' Up the Party," parents were snapping pictures, and even more kids, parents, grandparents, you name it were playing in the pool or sitting in lounge chairs, just enjoying being there.

I'm ashamed to admit that I got teary-eyed at that point. I'd been looking forward to this trip for so long -- planning and adjusting plans and longing for our first real family vacation -- and now it was HERE. I feel so blessed to have been able to take a fun, relaxing vacation with my little family. Nick and I work so hard, both at our jobs and as parents (and I know you all do, too), and I felt such a release to finally BE at Walt Disney World -- my Happiest Place on Earth -- with my two favorite people, and to have three fun-filled days ahead of us. OK, enough sappy stuff.

We took our drinks over to the little playground, where there were a couple of little girls playing. This was the first of many, many stops to let Andrew enjoy some "free play." He and Nick, my kid at heart, joined the little girls on the playground while I sipped my drink and Instagrammed a few pictures.

After an hour or so of roaming the grounds, we headed back to our room to get ready for our portrait session. I changed Andrew, Nick took a quick shower, and I freshened up my makeup and ran the straightener through my hair before changing my outfit. We had our own impromptu photo shoot before heading to the Poly at 4:30 p.m.

Go to Day 1, Part 2

Last edited by Elleshoodat; 05-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: