Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
queenmother
Earning My Ears

Christmas Vacation ABD - Costa Rica, Galapagos, Australia, So Africa

I called ABD to see what trips are available Christmas week 2012. The Costa Rica Tortugas is available and has a special deal with 250 dollars off pp if booked prior to 3/15. I think I like Galapagos better but it is much more pricey. I asked her about Germany and she said they haven't gone to Germany in years. Weird, I thought it was on the website.
Are there any reports on Costa Rica? I haven't seen a link.
I think Australia and Africa are too far for us to do this Christmas.
Knights & lights is another option, but we jsut spent lots of time in London before a Baltic Cruise so I want to see something new.
M
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Go to the ABD Trip Reports sticky at the top of this forum, and there's a Costa Rica trip report on the first page, by KLondon.

They had a Germany trip Christmas of 2009. I thought someone did it in 2010, also, but I might be mis-remembering. I don't remember seeing one for this year.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
kristilew
DIS Veteran

We are signed up for the Galapagos trip that departs Dec 18. We will have DD with us who will be 15 by then. Don't know if the kids on the trips would influence your choice....
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

We did ABD Path to Pura Vida in 2007, before they offered the itinerary with Torteguero. What's funny about that is we actually booked 2 days in Torteguero independently after our ABD trip because we felt it was not to missed.

We were right. It was a highlight along with the Arenal area cloud forests and volcanos! I wouldn't repeat Manuel Antonio as it was a like a beach area ( nice enough though) with a not very " wild" national park in the area. It was nice and very well guided, but the animals were very habituated to people feeding them in the area, whereas, Torteguero really felt wild! It was like a real life Jungle Cruise and doing the beach walk at night to see the turtles nest was pretty incredible ( not sure if that's included in the ABD)

Whether you'd like that better than Africa or the Galapagos, I can't say, we do ABD Galapagos this August, and our Africa and Austraila trips were non ABD. That said if money is no object, I would go to Africa. It is truly out of this world! ( well, it's obviously in this world, just so different from anything most of us know or can imagine!) I personally think that both Africa and Australia ABDs are not long enough for that kind of travel, but that may depend on your vacation schedule.

In conclusion, my opinion is if you want to go for the budget ( relative term!) trip, CR is wonderful...we loved it! But if you can really work it out, Africa is amazing.

Good luck!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I haven't been to South Africa yet, so can't comment on that, but we did the Costa Rica ABD in 2008 (the same itinerary as familygoboston) and we went to the Galapagos last spring (not with ABD). Costa Rica is beautiful and the trip was fun, but the Galapagos is like no where else you'll ever see. It would be my recommendation. And you can't go there on your own, so there is no question about whether it is worth it to go with a tour group. But I guess it really depends on what you like to do. If you're into wildlife, hiking, and snorkeling (with penguins, turtles and sea lions swimming with you!) then you'll love it.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Don't know if this will push you over the edge or anything, but ABD has a special that just started for $250 off person for the Eastern Costa Rica trip, including two departures in December.

http://www.adventuresbydisney.com/sp...FY12Q2FBDM0022

It says $1000 off, but if you read the details, that's for a family of four.

Sayhello
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
queenmother
Earning My Ears

New Jackson Christmas Vacation Trip

Didi anybody see this new trip? 5 days in Jackson aver Winter Vacation, this could be awesome. I can't download the whole thing.... We have until May 9th to book as past adventurers.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmother View Post
Didi anybody see this new trip? 5 days in Jackson aver Winter Vacation, this could be awesome. I can't download the whole thing.... We have until May 9th to book as past adventurers.
Oh! I hadn't noticed that. I wonder how long it's been out there?

What do you mean by "We have until May 9th to book as past adventurers."? Is there a special discount for this trip? Because the "general" Insider's discount goes through May 22nd.

http://www.adventuresbydisney.com/no...and-vacations/

Quote:
Winter Wonderland Family Vacation Highlights

• Day 1 : Yellowstone's Winter Wonderland
    Discover the glory of winter in Yellowstone National Park, with its majestic, snow-covered mountains, steaming geysers and roaming wildlife. Birds of prey soar above as you explore the vast, dramatic landscapes. Travel roads where you might come face-to-face with wandering herds of bison and elk, or maybe even a lone wolf. Experience the natural beauty of Wyoming in a whole new way!
  • Day 2 : Iditarod Dog Sledding
    Learn the art of "mushing" against a backdrop of powdery white snow while a team of enthusiastic sled dogs guides you through the Wyoming wilderness.
  • Day 2 : Relaxing in Granite Hot Springs
    After sledding through the frosty terrain, soak in the invigorating waters of this scenic mountain spring. Steam rises from the pool surface as you overlook a magnificent mountain view.
  • Day 4 : Tour the Lower Loop of Yellowstone
    Explore the Lower Loop with a naturalist guide as you ride a snowcoach to such extraordinary sights as Black Sand Basin, Fountain Paint Pots, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and much more!
  • Day 5 : Old Faithful
    Witness the spectacular plumes of steam unfurling above the snowy landscape as this famous geyser erupts in the winter months.
Dates Adult Child

Dec 22, 2012 - Dec 26, 2012 $2,899 $2,749

Dec 28, 2012 - Jan 1, 2013 $2,899 $2,749

No Brooks Lake Lodge, but this could be a really cool trip.

Sayhello
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
kristilew
DIS Veteran

What a great idea! If we weren't already booked on a Christmas ABD, we'd definitely look into this! I hope they do it again next year. We "ran away" last Christmas and were so happy we've decided to make it our new holiday tradition.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
What a great idea! If we weren't already booked on a Christmas ABD, we'd definitely look into this! I hope they do it again next year. We "ran away" last Christmas and were so happy we've decided to make it our new holiday tradition.
It really is quite tempting, isn't it?

Sayhello
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
Where to this time Krisitlew? I know your family enjoyed Galapagos last year!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
tsgirl
Mouseketeer

We're booked on the December 22 Costa Rica Trip. Anyone else?
tsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
Where to this time Krisitlew? I know your family enjoyed Galapagos last year!
Nope, we are doing the Galapagos ABD this coming Christmas. I know it seems like I've been talking about it forever, but it hasn't actually happened yet!

Last year, we spent five days in Toronto, including a truly lovely Christmas celebration at the Fairmont Royal York hotel.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
queenmother
Earning My Ears

I am considering the Christmas Winter Wonderland now, I will have to price it out to see what incentives people are offering. Maybe we could add a day of skiing at Jackson Hole at the end. Hmmmm...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: