Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Red face First Family Vacation... EVER // Update 2/28

Yay my first thread and PTR!

So help me out with this guys.

THE CAST

Me-- 316019_3427653369197_1206180021_102276795_30532030 9_n by mrsferrell, on Flickr

Name is Alden.. I'm 24.. This will be my second trip to the World. Last trip... I was 5 :-D I remember A LOT though.. We stayed off site. I'm a SAHM and I LOVE to do research... A LOT hah. I am also a dedicated military wife and very involved in moral efforts at our current base

DH--
299737_3299203638034_1206180021_102166993_44203148 8_n by mrsferrell, on Flickr

This is Carl, 25 (he thinks hes SO old now Hes active duty air force.. He fixes jet engines and I swear thats another language... I just shake my head and say yeah... He is a gym-a-holic... (Hes mad because he wont have a "real" gym during our vacation)

DD3--
378730_3599675829651_1206180021_102391165_10166862 49_n by mrsferrell, on Flickr

This is Miss Rylei... She isn't a ham at all.. I swear shes 3 going on 13... No really she totally cracks us up and says... well shes got an imagination hah Her color is pink (so what my kids are assigned colors before birth...) and shes a TOTAL princess... Her normal favorites are Ariel, Belle, and Tiana, but not shes on a Cinderella kick... and shes never seen the movie...

DD1--
404209_3828072699430_1206180021_102499528_15047563 65_n by mrsferrell, on Flickr

This is Olivia.. Our polka dot princess. Notice the spots on her face? She has a rare disease called Urticaria Pigmentosa which is a form of Mastocytosis. She has hundreds of "polka dots" on her body from head to toe. The dots can turn into hives when triggered (triggers can include heat, cold, friction, stress, food, medication, and smells). Mastocytosis (which I refer to as masto) basically means she has too many mast cells. It is not contagious and there is no known cause or cure yet... But were working on that! Livi is a mess though... a total mommys girl... clingy to the max but a sweetheart none the less. We have been lucky and she has only had 2 bad reactions since diagnosed with masto. Hopefully our trip will go smoothly..

Okay so am I off to a decent start? But its way late and I have a meeting in the morning so more tomorrow I'm sure :-)

NEXXXXXXT....

First PreTrip Report

"Of Course You're Excited, It's Disney" TR

June 1994- Of Site (just little me)
Feb 2012- Shades of Green (DH, me, DD3, DD1)

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 02-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
MrsFerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Contents

1-- The Cast
2-- The Basic Questions
3-- ADRs
4-- Arrival March 1
5-- Animal Kingdom- March 2
6-- DIsney's Hollywood Studios- March 3
7-- Epcot--March 4
8-- Magic Kingdom--March 5
9-- Ohh noooo MK boo-boo
10-- Magic Kingdom Day 2
11-- OVERHAUL
12-- Here be the Updates
13-- Shhh... Secrets
14-- Keeping it in the Family
15-- Rare Disease Day
16-- YAY For making it real!
17-- Can I get a cancellation?
18-- Holy Cow its ALMOST here
19-- My oh My

First PreTrip Report

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 02-27-2012 at 11:27 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

What, When, Where, and all the other basics

What-- This will be our FIRST Family Vacation. For all of us... DH and I did a mini "vacation" when I was preggo with DD3 but yeah thats it besides visiting family. I figure it would be a magical time for DD3 since she loves the princesses and all things Disney so much.. The child enjoys watching the vacation planning DVD and looking at WDW pictures online ( she makes me so proud haha)

When-- March 1-8 2012

Where-- Shades of Green.. on Disney property... but not Disney... Its owned by the DoD so only military can stay there... They offer great deals thank goodness.. We wouldn't be able to stay so close if they didnt!
Here it is..

shades-of-green by mrsferrell, on Flickr

It's not Disney themed out or anything but the rooms are huge

Shades-of-Green-Standard-Room by mrsferrell, on Flickr

Why-- Because we have NEVER had a family vacation?? And 2011 was a rough year for us a family... We need a little magic in our lives. So Disney is the OBVIOUS choice.. I hadn't planned on going until DD3 was 5 but that is just entirely too long for ME to have to wait. Once I got DHs okay I was off the plan!

How-- We will be flying... not sure from where yet... Because this trip is being payed for with income tax refund. Trying to keep prices down as much as possible but I like not having to FREAK over money and thats the only way for us to not have to freak sadly.

On a side note this will be DHs first time to fly with kids. I've flown several times with them but hes always been gone when we flew or in some kind of training. Hah its going to be fun . Luckily the girls are good on the plane (well Olivia was only 6ish months when she flew..) But I'm MORE excited that I wont have a random (rude..) stranger sitting by me.

On my first flight with both kids I was obviously a nervous wreck because I didn't want to have THOSE kids on the plane... Well since DD3 was in her car seat (and was 2 3/4 at the time) we had to be by the window... Well a very rude young woman got stuck sitting with us... Which before she even sat rolled her eyes saying "well this is going to be GREAT".. I just killed her with kindness and said "yes... yes it is" hah It really wanst bad at all... I enjoyed that DD3 had to pee every time our lovely seat mate fell asleep actually.... ahhh Okay that was mean but SHE STARTED IT!

NEXXXXXT...

First PreTrip Report

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 01-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

ADRs

So made a few ADRs... I was kind of bummed because I planned on making them 160 days out and get everything I WANTED AT the times I wanted... Well with a possible deployment trip dates where up in the air... So to avoid all error we bumped our trip up as early as we could and I started making ADRs... I got pretty much what I wanted so I can't complain... And I still check the site... several times daily... to see if my MORE preferred time happens to open up hehe

So here we GO!

March 1-- Arrival Day.. not sure of time yet but dinner at Chef Mickeys @ 5:20
March 2-- none yet
March 3-- 50's Prime Time Cafe @ 6:30pm
March 4-- Akershus @ 12:20.. wanted dinner but they where booked until 8pm :-(.. but still trying ;-)
March 5-- Liberty Tree Tavern @ 6:40pm
March 6-- Crystal Palace @ 8:35... wanted 8am but it was booked.. still trying though hah
March 7-- none yet
March 8-- departure day.. not sure of time yet if its early I may try to get an ADR for Kona

So I have 2 days that I don't have ADR's for... Any must haves that I should try... We're going to do most breakfasts in our room or at SoG since its pretty cheap...

So how does this look? Or any MUST have TS restaurants that I havent listed?

NEXXXXXXT....

First PreTrip Report

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 01-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
disney<333
DIS Veteran

Joining in! Your DDs are adorable!! How fun on planning your family's first trip. The location for SOG is amazing-- really close to the MK and the TTC. Your ADRs sound great. I've heard 'Ohana in Disney's Polynesion (on the monorail) is supposed to be amazing. They have a breakfast with Lilo, Stich, Mickey, and Pluto, but they are better known for their dinner. Also, Tusker house in the Animal Kingdom is supposed to be good. I used to live in Orlando and have been to Disney many times so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
disney<333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney<333 View Post
Joining in! Your DDs are adorable!! How fun on planning your family's first trip. The location for SOG is amazing-- really close to the MK and the TTC. Your ADRs sound great. I've heard 'Ohana in Disney's Polynesion (on the monorail) is supposed to be amazing. They have a breakfast with Lilo, Stich, Mickey, and Pluto, but they are better known for their dinner. Also, Tusker house in the Animal Kingdom is supposed to be good. I used to live in Orlando and have been to Disney many times so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
YAY! I was feeling lonely .. You know that awkward moment when your talking to yourself? 'Ohana is actually on my maybe list! I keep asking my DH "here or here" and he keeps answering "whatever makes you happy babe..." ... which heh he should probably change that soon

First PreTrip Report

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I am here too!! Love that you are taking your girls early! They will both totally love it! We took DD 6, DD 4, DD 23 months the first time we came to WDW and although I was sad that we waited so long for the 6 year old, I was thrilled at how much the 2 little ones loved it.
We are now booked for our third trip it is my youngest that asks all the time "Mama we go back to disneywowld???"
Looking forward to more!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Arrival Day-- March 1

So since we havent booked our tickets yet I dont know when we will get to MCO... But its looking like it will be close to noon.. We're renting a town car to bring us to our resort and stopping for groceries on the way since I'm renting a car where thats included.
I actually plan on packing some groceries... I figure the girls will share one suitcase, I'll have one, DH will have one, and one will be with random "must pack" items (like power adapter thanks DISers lol)but also packing cereal, granola bars, popcorn, crackers, goldfish and other favorite snacks.
So all I will need to buy is a few cases of water, some milk, my creamer for coffee, fruit, and anything else that catches my eye that I couldn't pack.
So we get to the resort and check in.. Unpack (note to self ... remember to pack extra hangers?) and check out the hotel.. Depending on how much time we have left head out to Chef Mickeys for our 5:20 ADR followed by DTD. YAY Shopping!!
I figure a good character meal will be a good way to start the trip for the girls... And have fun on the monorail.

Things I want to see in DTD...

babycakesNYC
World of Disney (this may be my heaven... someone hide my debit card QUICK!)
Lego Imagination Center (looks pretty nifty? Is it?)
Once Upon a Toy (sounds neat... girls may be too young for it though? thoughts?)
Basin (I saw 2 words... Bath Bombs... YES PLEASE)
D Street (is it mainly vynalmation or does it have a decent amount of clothes to check out too?)
Disney Days of Christmas
Goofys Candy Shop
TrenD

Am I missing any AWESOME places?
Is there a map for DTD?

It's going to be tough keeping DH out of DisneyQuest.... He's a gamer... Might have to lie about what it is

NEXXXXXXXXXXXT.....

First PreTrip Report

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 01-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I am here too!! Love that you are taking your girls early! They will both totally love it! We took DD 6, DD 4, DD 23 months the first time we came to WDW and although I was sad that we waited so long for the 6 year old, I was thrilled at how much the 2 little ones loved it.
We are now booked for our third trip it is my youngest that asks all the time "Mama we go back to disneywowld???"
Looking forward to more!
yay! Thanks for reading... I totally planned on waiting but ... yeah I lack patience... Is it March yet?? Or at least February...??? lol

First PreTrip Report

Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
npstudent2012
Earning My Ears

Subbing too! Excited to read about the planning and your TR when you return
npstudent2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

Sounds like a fun trip! What a beautiful family! Hope your trip is
Magical !

Cant wait to hear more...

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by npstudent2012 View Post
Subbing too! Excited to read about the planning and your TR when you return
Thanks so much :-) Excited to GET THERE and share :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers2008 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! What a beautiful family! Hope your trip is
Magical !

Cant wait to hear more...

Thanks so much. I think their keepers.. most of the time heh

First PreTrip Report

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom-- March 2

So first full park day we plan on hitting up Animal Kingdom-- a first for all of us since it wasn't built at my last visit. We plan on just eating breakfast in our room then heading to the park. I hope to arrive nlt 8:30 for the 9am opening (or sooner...)

AL_TREE_240 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

First off we will head to Kilimanjaro Safaris, followed by Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. We will check out the Wildlife Express Train to see all the fun stuff back there. Following that we will do the Maharajah Jungle Trek and Flights of Wonder. Hopefully we can check out Discovery Island Trails before lunch. I had wanted to eat at Flame Tree BBQ... but then I remembered... thats during Lent. Crap no meat for us (well at least me...) that day.. So instead were going to check out Yak and Yetti's counter service.

AL_KSAF_240 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

After lunch were going to start back up with autographs at Camp Minnie-Mickey Trails. We're toughing it out a whole day at the park since AK closes early. We're going to watch Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical. I'm sure Olivia will fall asleep, but hopefully Rylei will enjoy it. We're going to end our day with the Boneyard, Tricera Top Spin, and the parade. After we're done exploring (and cough shopping) we will head back to the resort. Depending on the weather we might check out the pool. We don't have an ADR for tonight... If we don't pick something out soon we might be eating in the resort.. I've heard pretty mixed reviews about it but its cheap compared to others.

EL_FLK_240 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

EL_FNM_240 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

EL_MJJ_240 by mrsferrell, on Flickr
sog-pool-250 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

SOG Manginios

5 by mrsferrell, on Flickr

Any suggestions for dinner? Preferably in a resort and must serve seafood/vegetarian meals.

Woo hoo 5 weeks, 3 days and counting!!

NEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXT--

First PreTrip Report

Last edited by MrsFerrell; 01-25-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Hi Alden! I'm joining in! You have a precious family - I know you and your DH are going to have so much fun witnessing the magic through your daughters' eyes! Can't wait to hear more of your plans!
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
wakica
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFerrell View Post
So since we havent booked our tickets yet I dont know when we will get to MCO... But its looking like it will be close to noon.. We're renting a town car to bring us to our resort and stopping for groceries on the way since I'm renting a car where thats included.
I actually plan on packing some groceries... I figure the girls will share one suitcase, I'll have one, DH will have one, and one will be with random "must pack" items (like power adapter thanks DISers lol)but also packing cereal, granola bars, popcorn, crackers, goldfish and other favorite snacks.
So all I will need to buy is a few cases of water, some milk, my creamer for coffee, fruit, and anything else that catches my eye that I couldn't pack.
So we get to the resort and check in.. Unpack (note to self ... remember to pack extra hangers?) and check out the hotel.. Depending on how much time we have left head out to Chef Mickeys for our 5:20 ADR followed by DTD. YAY Shopping!!
I figure a good character meal will be a good way to start the trip for the girls... And have fun on the monorail.

Things I want to see in DTD...

babycakesNYC
World of Disney (this may be my heaven... someone hide my debit card QUICK!)
Lego Imagination Center (looks pretty nifty? Is it?)
Once Upon a Toy (sounds neat... girls may be too young for it though? thoughts?)
Basin (I saw 2 words... Bath Bombs... YES PLEASE)
D Street (is it mainly vynalmation or does it have a decent amount of clothes to check out too?)
Disney Days of Christmas
Goofys Candy Shop
TrenD

Am I missing any AWESOME places?
Is there a map for DTD?

It's going to be tough keeping DH out of DisneyQuest.... He's a gamer... Might have to lie about what it is
DTD is GREAT!!! Goofy's Candy Shop is a MUST DO for us each trip!!! You can do the build your own treat and we just fell absolutely in LOVE with those treats !!!

I'm curious to see the vinylmations bc they weren't there our last trip so i will keep in mind D street for those.

Anyway, enjoying your PT so far Hope to keep caught up on it as you update it

Me dh dd(16)
wakica is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: