Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #76
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

That ewas a very nice location for the room. My biggest fear when I go down to Disney is that there will be a problem with the scooter and it doesn't charge overnight so I can imagine what was going through your mind. My DH would make me wait til it charged before we left the room.
The boardwalk looks like fun. I have been there but in a pouring rain so I didn't check it out. Of course I am very spoiled living close to the Jersey shore and get to the boardwalk there all the time. The pic of Bill was great.
I'm looking forward to more on Pop. I have never stayed there.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #77
PittypatBR
DIS Veteran

That had to be real panic - to be in Disney and not able to enjoy because of the wheelchair would be totally frustrating, but y'all made the best of it. Glad the ESPN club was a good experience to end the day. Glad you were able to stay at the Boardwalk and had such a good room. I like Pop, though, so it is all good!!

First trip to DW June 1977, Dutch Inn with DH, DS8, DS6, DD4
July 1996, ASMovies; April 2002, ASMusic; June 2005, Coronado Springs;
May 5-12, 2007, Pop Century; May 30-June 6, 2010, Marriott Grande Vista;
First trip to DL Oct. 9-15, 2011 Anaheim Marriott

May 2007 Pre-trip and trip report: NO COMMANDO?? . . . .ARGHH! Can I do this?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #78
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Oh my. I would've been freaking out with the wheel chair not charged.
I was a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
That ewas a very nice location for the room. My biggest fear when I go down to Disney is that there will be a problem with the scooter and it doesn't charge overnight so I can imagine what was going through your mind. My DH would make me wait til it charged before we left the room.
The boardwalk looks like fun. I have been there but in a pouring rain so I didn't check it out. Of course I am very spoiled living close to the Jersey shore and get to the boardwalk there all the time. The pic of Bill was great.
I'm looking forward to more on Pop. I have never stayed there.
I had a couple of mobility places in my phone ready to call if it didn't take charge, but thank goodness it did. We love the Boardwalk. We also love Pop, I will be talking about it very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittypatBR View Post
That had to be real panic - to be in Disney and not able to enjoy because of the wheelchair would be totally frustrating, but y'all made the best of it. Glad the ESPN club was a good experience to end the day. Glad you were able to stay at the Boardwalk and had such a good room. I like Pop, though, so it is all good!!
We really enjoyed ESPN Club, I see the wheelchair issue as a sign from above telling us to take things more slowly.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #80
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Yikes! I'm so glad Bill's chair charged up!

The boys were disappointed we didn't go to ESPN when we were staying at BWV in November. It's on the agenda for our resort day at the Beach Club in April.
I am happy it charged up too . We are headed back to ESPN in May too. We really liked the atmosphere there.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #81
mrsksomeday

Split stay Pop here we come

We woke up from our fairytale knowing today we would be moving to Pop Century. Now don’t get me wrong, we have stayed at Pop Century seven times. I love Pop, I love the colors, the music, the atmosphere, but come on you can’t compare the Boardwalk Resort to Pop Century, it would be a totally unfair comparison. I didn’t mind us moving to Pop, I am comfortable there, there is no stress when we stay there because I know what to expect.

Now many of you might be asking, why the heck did you go to BWV’s then split stay going to Pop Century, wouldn’t it be smarter to go to Pop first then “upgrade”? Well a little thing called D23 is the culprit. If you have followed any of our trip reports in the last two years you would know I have mentioned D23 so much they should give me a free renewal membership for all the advertisement I give them. We love going to the events they have at WDW, they are unique and fun experiences. We had the BWV portion of the trip booked, we were happy with that time frame, and then the D23 Magic and Merriment announcement came out. Oh no, Bill would want to go, especially when the ending dinner was after closing at Animal Kingdom. We had never been to AK after dark and knew it would be gorgeous. I didn’t even fight him this time, I knew he would get his way, but I insisted we needed to save money somewhere and that somewhere was POP.

Before we said goodbye to the BWV, I took a picture of the light fixture above the vanity. Why? Because of a Mickey head that is why:

I called Bell services to transfer our bags to Pop Century and no kidding there was a knock at our door within 3 minutes. A very sweet gentleman explained the procedure to me, they would be sending our stuff to Pop between 3 and 4pm. He gave me a receipt for our bags and he was on his way. It was time to leave our newest happy place, but we already knew we would be back because we had rented points (from another DVC rental company) for our May 2012 trip. We took a friendship boat to DHS and went to hop the bus to Pop Century to check in. DHS has changed the bus stops, Pop Century used to be #9 right outside the park, now it was #14 (I think) all the way at the end BOO HISS!!! Oh well, I can actually understand why they did it, it would get pretty crowded right there outside the park with all the Pop guests waiting for the bus. We were pulling up to Pop within 10 minutes, gotta love how close it is to DHS.

Check in was fine, she was Ms. I.wish.I.was.anywhere.else. She just had no personality, come on I want you to WELCOME US!!! I had asked if our request for a shower chair was granted and if there was a fridge in the room. She said the fridge was noted and she didn’t think they had any shower chairs with arms, she called housekeeping and they tried to tell her they didn’t have any either. Well every other trip we have gotten a shower chair with arms because of Bill’s balance. I told her I would handle it if they didn’t give us the right thing when we got to the room. She had no clue and I wasn’t going to argue with her.

It totally cracks me up how some of these CM’s tell you how to get to your room. I don’t think they have ever walked the grounds of the resorts at all. The room was ready, we were in the 50’s section, the 3rd door away from the Lady statue. The bowling pin pool was on the other side of Lady. She told me the best way to get there would be to go out in front of Pop Century, go past where you check your luggage and go that way. HELLO what if I wanted to go eat something?? Yes, technically it is fine going that way but kinda inconvenient when you want to do things at the gift shop or the food court. I just smiled at her politely, took my folder and we were off to have some grub.

Pop holds a bunch of great memories for us. We took my son and his then girlfriend and her kids there. We met Tammy and her family there, we also met the Oregon’s… Toni and Terry there. So we had to honor them by the lunch offerings we chose:

Chocolate Milk in honor of our sweet Princess Hannah, who we miss so very much.

Nachos because Terry said they were good.

Chicken Penne Alfredo because well Bill loves it but so does Toni.

Most of all the CARROT CAKE. Every time we see carrot cake it reminds us of the sweetest little boy EVER named Gavin that we met in Dec. 2010. He went off with his Dad while Bill and I were talking to Tammy and came back all excited, eyes bright, cheeks flushed and said very loudly in the happiest voice… “THEY HAVE CARROT CAKE” and then he went back to his Dad. Bill just loved it and now it is mandatory to say that every time we see carrot cake.

We got to the room and decided to wait for the luggage, I like to have the room organized and taken care of right when we get to a hotel room. They brought a shower chair with no arms, I explained that wouldn’t work, we needed one with a back and arms. They stated they didn’t think they had any like that. I said I would call. I called housekeeping and they were snippy with me, I explained that this was our 8th trip to Pop with the last stay being in May 2011 and we have had one every other trip. Well guess what, we got a shower chair with arms. A horrible plastic, flimsy one with no support, we are going to be buying a travel shower chair and taking it with us from now on. Then another knock with the fridge, there is one thing I don’t understand. In the deluxe resorts, they have a place for the fridge and it is usually hidden by a door. At Pop when they did the refurb they put in a dresser with a hole for the fridge, but when they bring one they will NOT put it in the hole. The only thing I can think of is that the fridge gets too hot for that pressed wood or whatever it is that is used for the dressers. I asked the guy to just put it in the hole and he looked horrified and told me he couldn’t.

About five minutes after he left the luggage arrived, I sorted everything out and we were off to Downtown Disney. I had to take a couple pictures first. See our pretty door??

See how scratched up it is? Yes I know wheelchairs can do that and we are in a wheelchair accessible room, but I thought come on slap some paint on it. I know I was being witchy, but we were in Disney, things are supposed to look perfect aren’t they?

See how close we were to Lady:

Lady was looking at bit odd don’t you think?? That is because this beautiful puppy was getting a makeover, a freshen up, well actually she was getting a paint job. Hey buddies, be a doll before you leave bring a paint brush over to our door, ok?

We walked up to the bus stop and saw this:

YAY finally, look at it and read people (not DISers, you guys are nice) I mean the not so nice people that glare when Bill is allowed on the bus first. I like how this is written out about groups of 6 or less will be allowed to enter through the back with the disabled person. Now this should cut down on the threads here where people complain about granny in the wheelchair and 27 people boarding the bus with her, well if the CM’s enforce the rules that is, we will see. We hadn’t been in line for 2 minutes when the DTD bus pulled up. We always have bus mojo at Pop Century, although I probably just jinxed us forever by saying that oh well.

I was on a mission. A friend had asked if I could do her a favor while we were in WDW. Her daughter had a My Disney Doll and she had requested some outfits for Christmas. The CM’s on the phone were clueless when my friend talked to them on the phone. She wanted to know if I could find the sku numbers for her. NO PROBLEM!!! Being in that store really had me missing Hannah and Christian, Josh had broken up with Abbey this summer and the thought of not seeing them anymore was weighing heavily on me as well as the fact that it had been Hannah’s birthday the day before. Being around all the princesses stuff made me sad and happy at the same time if that makes any sense. Well when we found the outfits I was blown away, they were freaking adorable. Her daughter had asked for Snow White and Tinkerbell. Ummm, I wanted to spread some pixie dust so got the idea that we would buy the Tink one for her. Well Bill wanted to pick out something for my friends son. This made us so happy because we didn’t have any little kids to buy for. After we completed our purchases, I called my friend because I my worry gene kicked in, I was hoping I hadn’t overstepped my boundary by buying that for her daughter without asking. I told her to be expecting a package from Disney. We talked and she reassured me that is was ok and thanked me. We just adore their kids and at Christmas I got the cutest video text ever with daughter saying “thank Mrs. Tracy and Mr. Bill”. I cried when I got it.

After World of Disney we made the mistake of going to the pin shop. Why must we go there? Why do we like these little things so much?? Well here is the loot, please forgive the crappy pictures, I took these after we got home with my new Iphone and I am just getting used to the flash:

We were hungry by that time, spending money at WDW does that to a person so we did a walk up at the Rainforest Café. Then it was time for the Christmas store. We were in search of more Victorian ornaments. We have slowly been gathering them because Christmas 2013 is when our tree is going to get Disneyfied. We got the Minnie topper and the Mickey and Minnie tree skirt along with assorted ornaments. Normally I would balk at the price but Bill loves this stuff so much that he has made me love it too.
We headed for the bus and back to Pop, again with hardly no wait.

Next intstallment… To MVMCP or to not MVMCP??
Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #82
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

I really like The Ellie Badge pin
Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #83
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Bittersweet - moving from BW to Pop. I'm with you - we've stayed at Pop many many times and so it's very comfortable. I love the food court; the bus service is usually very good - but after a deluxe it's just ... a little letdown. I really can't believe how many unpleasant CM's you encountered there - usually everyone there is full of pixie dust!

I also love the Up pin. I really regret not picking one up the last time we were there. Hopefully they'll still have them when we go back.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #84
GeminiAngel
DIS Veteran

I totally know what you mean about directions to your room!
Nova and me were in the 80's. the directions were to go all the way thru the main building and take the winding pathways all the way around.

All we did was go out the front by the bus stops and cut thru the 90's parking lot area. So much quicker and less confusing.

WDW: Apr 2007-POR 6 nts, Feb 2009-OKW 7nts, Oct 2011-POP 4nts, Aug 2014-ASMu 6nts

DLR: To many times to count!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #85
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Awww.... What a sweet thing to do for your friends' children! How strange that the CMs at Pop can't get it straight about the shower chair, especially since you have had them before. Love the new pins, by the way.

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #86
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Yay being at POP. Makes me really want to go now instead of waiting until August. Pffft, we should give the CM's directions

Love the pins.

And the Christmas Store - Jim always says to me if Disney bought the rights to Christmas we'd be bankrupt. Have no idea what he means

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #87
okw19
DIS Veteran

Whew, I am all caught up after being sick for a while.
The storytellers in Epcot sound awesome, and you are making me want to plan a Christmas trip!
Cape May is definitely on my "to try" list. I think we might try that instead of the traditional Chef Mickey's brunch next time.
I would have freaked out if I woke up only to realize that it hadn't charged! Thankfully it wasn't a technical problem and that it did charge that morning.
Moving to Pop! must have been kind of sad, but at least you were saving money to use for the d23 event!
Downtown Disney is so fun, and that was so sweet of you guys to get the Tink outfit for her!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #88
Lesprivate
DIS Veteran

I love your pin loot - especially the Walt Disney pin. Too bad the front desk and housekeeping can't get it right on the first try.
Saratoga Springs, March 2014, AKL Kidani August 2013, CBR October 2012, OKW August 2012, May 2011 BLT,October 2010 BLT, August 2010 AKV, August 2009 SSR,May 2009 SSR, August 2008 VWL, August 2007 - POR and BCV, November 2006 - POFQ, August 2004 - ASSP, January 2001 - Offsite, December 1998 - Offsite, May 1997 - Offsite, June 1996 - Offsite, December 1995 - Offsite, June 1994 - Offsite, February 1989 - Offsite, April 1986 - Offsite, April 1985 - Offsite, December 1985 - Offsite, Numerous times as a child
Me , DH , DD , DGS Lucky , Spike Spanky : George
Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #89
okw19
DIS Veteran

Double post

Last edited by okw19; 02-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #90
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry to hear Josh & Abbey broke up! That must be so hard for all of you.

We are doing the same thing with our split stay coming up in April... We are starting at BC, then moving offsite. Yes, we'll have more room, but we'll miss SAB & the awesome location! We had already reserved our timeshare condo, expecting to visit DBIL first, then we decided not to & booked Hard Rock at Universal to fill those three nights... then we changed to BC!! I'm so excited to finally stay there, but yes, it will be tough to leave!

Love all the pins! And I hope we'll get to see a picture of that Disney Christmas tree!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: