Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Hi just joining in.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
Hi just joining in.
Welcome! I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Here I am at your report!!! When we went in 2010, we stayed in Magnolia Terrace, too! Awesome start to your report!
Welcome! It was a nice building to stay in. I just wish it had been close to the main building.

October 2013 Port Orleans Resort
May 2013 Animal Kingdom Kidani
October 2012 Art of Animation
January 2012 Port Orleans Resort
June 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2010 All Star Sports
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
archdandy
DIS Veteran

I lurve chocolate cake!

So we last left off with us on the bus to downtown disney for our lunch ADR at the Rainforest Cafe.

The bus arrived downtown and we booked it to the restaurant. We only ended up being 15 minutes late for our ADR which was good! I thought maybe they wouldn't take us but luckily I was wrong. I was excited to try this place out because I had never been to a Rainforest Cafe before and it always looked so cool from outside! And now that they were on the dining plan I could finally go inside!

It did not disappoint. The inside was totally awesome! We had two thunderstorms while were there. Our waitress was really great and explained to us that this was only the second time she was using the dining plan. It made the meal a little slower but we didn't mind. We were just happy to be in Disney again.

For out appetizers we ordered:

Mozzarella Sticks (DH)

Chimi-Cha-Cha's (me)

DH said his cheese sticks were good, nothing special. My chimi-cha-cha's were really good. They were hot and tasty! The only thing I didn't like about them was that there was a certain spice that was too much in it, I think it was cumin. But they were still good and I would order them again.

For our appetizers we ordered:

Caribbean Coconut Shrimp (me)

Chicken Fried Chicken (DH)

My meal was pretty good. The rice was okay, it was just rice with a little bit of seasoning. The same with the veggies. But the shrimp were really tasty! They were perfectly crunchy and the mango sauce was delicious!

DH said his meal was okay. The chicken batter didn't have a lot of flavor and DH really like his fried chicken to be seasoned properly. He didn't try the gravy because he doesn't like it.

Next up was dessert (yeah we couldn't wait and took some bites!):

Tribal Cheesecake

Chocolate Diablo Cake

DH really loved his chocolate cake. He lurves chocolate cake and raspberry so this was perfect for him! The cheesecake I had was pretty good. I don't really remember anything else about it so it must not have stood out very much.

While we were waiting for the bill I looked over and saw this weird looking fish. I thought it was hilarious because it looked like it had a nose!

I was feeling artsy and in a good mood from being in Disney so I took this picture for a keepsake.

After our bill was settled we decided to check out the gift shop and while we were doing that our waitress came back up to us because she hadn't charged our card properly. She apologized profusely but we didn't mind as we knew she didn't have a lot of experience with the plan.

Once that was finished we explored downtown a bit. We went to Basin as I had never been and I always mean to but always end up skipping it. I bought a three pack of bath salt balls. We went to most of the stores in the Market Place but didn't really venture past there. I took a lot of pictures of the different statues and murals in the stores.

I also took a picture of a couple of the different statues I wanted but were way too expensive to buy.

I also finally got a good picture of the dragon in the water by the Lego store! It only took three trips!

We stayed downtown the whole afternoon but as evening approached we decided to take the boat back to the resort.

This was our first time taking Disney transportation other than the buses and it was fun! We really enjoyed having the wind in our hair.

Once back at the resort we stopped in the lobby to see if they could print off a list of ADR's. I forgot to print them off before we left. It wasn't a problem and we now had the list for the rest of the week. Then we went to the food court to get our mugs. After filling them up we headed back to the room and showered and got cleaned up for our ADR at Yachtsmans Steakhouse.

This is where I will leave this update. But stay tuned for the next installment to see if Yachtsmans lived up the hype and if we would make it through the evening without falling asleep!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
archdandy
DIS Veteran

When we last left off we were about to leave our room to make our ADR for Yachstmans Steakhouse. I was really looking forward to this meal because DH and I both love a good steak. We took the bus downtown and then took the bus downtown to the Yacht Club resort. This was our first time being in this resort. We had been to the Beach Club before but never wandered over to the other resorts.

We were a little confused at first as to where the restaurant actually was and it took us a little while to find it. But we eventually made it and checked in for our reservation.

We didn't have a long wait and our host stopped by this window so we could view the different cuts of steak.

I didn't really pay attention because cuts of meat don't really mean anything to me but apparently DH did pay attention, more on that later.

We were seated near the back of the restaurant which was fine by us and then our waiter came and took our drink orders. I got tea and DH got pop. Our bread came out shortly after and I was excited to try it because I love fresh bread! It didn't disappoint. It was soft and the onion flavor was nice. I wished I had more room in my stomach for more bread.

Bread basket at Yachstmans Steakhouse

We finally ordered our meals and DH went with a ceaser salad for an app and I just nibbled on bread.

Ceaser Salad at Yachtsmans Steakhouse

He said it was good. It wasn't spectacular but he ate most of it. Here we are waiting for our entree's!

And what did we order?

8-oz Center Cut Filet Mignon (Me)

24-oz Center Cut Porterhouse (DH)

So remember how I said that I didn't pay any attention to the cuts of meat but DH did? Well I should have followed his example. His porterhouse steak was heavenly! It was so tender and had a really good flavor. Don't get me wrong, my filet mignon was delicious as well but it couldn't even hold a candle next to the porterhouse! I can feel my mouth watering just thinking about it.

DH didn't even touch his paprika fries, I think he was too full. My mashed potatoes were good, just mashed potatoes though. We opted to not get dessert as we were both pretty stuffed. I didn't write down our servers name but I wrote a little note saying he was excellent! We got our bill settled and headed out full and happy.

We went to the bus depot and waited for the bus back to Downtown. It only ended taking us an hour travel combined which was really great. I remember last trip it took us an hour and a half to get to Beach Club from the Coronado We got off the west depot at Riverside so we could stop at the food court and get some snacks. DH ended up getting this:

Coffee Cake from Riverside Mill

And I ended up just getting a mickey ice cream head, which was delicious by the way.

DH didn't really like his cake. It had a weird cream cheese filling to it and thats not what we are used to with coffee cake.

After that we watched t.v. for a bit and then just crashed. It had been a long first day at Disney and we had to get up for our morning ADR at The Wave!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I've never been to Yatchsmen Steakhouse before. The foods looks wonderful.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I've never been to Yatchsmen Steakhouse before. The foods looks wonderful.
It was more than wonderful! I could eat there every day!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Day 2: Sweet Potato Pancake Heaven

We got up at the bright and early hour of 6am and I was wide awake. DH on the other hand was not so wide awake. I had to coax him out of bed and into the shower which is really weird. Usually he is pretty good about getting up in the mornings.

After the shower we got dressed and packed up all of our things in our park bags and headed out. We were on the way to our ADR at The Wave for breakfast.

While walking to the front of the resort to wait for our cab I took some pictures of the resort along the way. You can see it was still dark out and it was a bit chilly. We weren't used to Florida being this cold as we had always come when it was really hot (June and September).

Our cab was waiting for us when we got there so we hopped in and were on our way to The Contemporary. I dont remember how long the ride was but I do remember it cost us about $15. We headed towards the restaurant and I went to go take a picture of the outside of it when I realized I didn't have my camera with me I knew I had taken it from the room because I took pictures of the resort on the way. Then I remembered I heard something drop in the cab but didn't really pay any attention because I briefly looked down and didnt see anything. Oh no!

We rushed back out to the front but the cab had already left. So we asked the lady who was at the podium outside the resort if she could call the cab company for us and let them know we think our camera was left in the car. She talked to them for a bit and she said the cab driver found our camera and that they could come back and bring it to us but that it would cost us the fare it would take him to get back to the resort. We agreed relunctantly, but what were we going to do, leave our $100+ camera in the cab?

He came back about 10 minutes later and DH got the camera back from him. We had assumed we could pay by credit card because thats how we paid originally but the cab driver said it was cash only this time. We didn't had cash on us so luckily the driver said don't worry about it! Phew!

Now that we had the camera back we finally went back inside and were a little later for our reservation but it didn't matter because the restaurant wasn't busy at all.

We were seated right away and our waiter came out to take our drink orders. I just got tea and DH got orange juice. We opted to do the buffet instead of the a la carte and we were glad we did! They had everything that was on the menu in the buffet and it was unlimited, so it was a much better deal. Not that it mattered since we were on the DDP. I took a lot of pics of the buffet even though I'm sure the people there thought it was weird But I'm a DISer through and through.

We got back to our table and I couldn't wait to dig in! I had waited to try the sweet potato pancakes for a loong time! And let me tell you, they didn't disappoint. I loved them! I wish I could eat them everyday for breakfast!

The with the lime sauce was delicious as well. I would have gladly ordered that as an entree and been happy.

I know DH had a second plate but I can't find it on my camera. I think the second plate had some meat on it.

We finished eating and debated asking our waiter if we could get hot chocolates to go. DH didn't want to because he was worried they would say no, I insisted they would allow it because I had seen other people's dining reports where they did this. So finally I got up the courage to ask our waiter and he was very obliging! He said it was no problem and shortly after came back with some delicious hot chocolate in to go cups.

After settling our bill we headed out. It took us a little while to find the monorail but we managed. This would be our first time on a monorail so I was kind of excited. The wait was a little longer than I thought it would be but soon we were zooming towards Epcot.

I'm going to stop this update here and hopefully I will have the next one up soon. I am going to try and update faster because I'd like to get this TR done as we are going on four months now since the trip. If there are any lurkers out there feel free to say hi!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
archdandy
DIS Veteran

**First off I want to apologize for the lack of pictures in this update. I guess through the course of the day I didn't realize I wasn't taking many pictures.**

We last left off with us taking the monorail to EPCOT. We made it to the entrance about ten to twenty minutes after opening and the line was still a bit congested. We got made good time getting in and bag check went smooth. Finally we were in our first park of the trip!

The first thing we did was head to Soarin'.

The time posted was 15 minutes so we decided that was reasonable and waited it out. The ride was good as always. I love the smell of those oranges!

We were already in the The Land pavilion so we decided to the Living with the Land attraction as we had never done it before. I was curious to see the huge lemons that I've seen in other trip reports. There was no wait for this ride, bonus!

There they are! This was a really interesting tour. I really liked thep different ways they were growing produce. I would definitely do this next trip.

After that we talked about doing The Circe of Life because it was right there and there was no wait but we decided to leave it to our next trip. We don't like to do everything at once because that leaves nothing new for our future trips.

I wanted to go down to Sunshine Seasons to check out their offerings because we've never eaten there but always hear great things about it. Nothing really caught my attention though so we kept moving.

We walked out of The Land pavilion and didn't really have a burning desire of where to go next so we kind of strolled along until we came to Figment. This was another new one that had no wait so why not do it?

...this wasn't one of my favorite attractions. I know a lot of people like it because its a classic and they find it cute but this just wasn't for us.

We took our time looking through the gift shop though because they had some unique stuff in there.

Our string of new attractions continued as we headed towards Captain EO. The wait for this ride was a bit long, not because there were a lot of people but because of the introduction video and it took a bit for us to be admitted to the room for some reason.

Let me just say ! Oh, man! That show was good. It was purely awesome for its LOLz.

After having ourselves a couple of chuckles we headed in the direction of Test Track and Mission Space. The lines were long for both attractions so we got a FP for Test Track and waited it out for Mission Space. It took us a while to decide whether to do green or orange because DH gets really queasy on rides lately. In the end we chose orange for me

I love this ride! It's such a different feeling and when you're done taking off and you're floating around in space it feels so real after that huge GFORCE simulation. Of course DH got queasy.

It was time to take a little bit of a break. We sat on some benches and drank some water to give DH time to recover. Our plan was just to sit it out until our FP for Test Track were good. But as we were sitting we started to get annoyed at the sun in our eyes. And yes we both forgot our sunglasses this trip!

The only thing to do was to go to Mouse Gears and pick out some glasses. We had some time to kill anyways. After paying for our stuff we walked back to Test Track because our FP were finally good!

The ride was good as usual. It's not DH's favorite but it's one of mine in EPCOT. At this point it was nearing lunch time and we had an ADR for Coral Reef. We weren't really feeling that restaurant though so we decided to walk around World Showcase and see if there were any CS options that appealed to us.

Some of the christmas decorations were still up. I was happy about this but also kind of sad. I wanted the first time I saw the christmas decorations in person to be during the christmas season on one of future trips.

We entered through the Canada side, of course! My plan was to just get Mexican CS but we had to walk around basically the whole world showcase for DH to decide what he wanted. Nothing ended up appealing to him but the fish and chips. So we had to go all the way back around.

The line for the fish and chips was kind of long so we hatched a new plan! we had ADRS for Rose & Crown for later anyways so we decided we would see if they would take walk ups for lunch. And yes they were taking walk ups! It would be about a twenty minute wait so we used that time to walk across the "street" and look through the UK shops. I wanted to buy some of the tea really bad but didn't end up getting anything. I can't remember why now though?

Finally our beeper went off and we basically skipped over to the podium to be seated!

I'm going to leave the review here for now. I hope you enjoyed this installment!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Joining In

I am loving your trip report. Especially the food reviews. Can't wait to read more.
1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR, Why Do I Have To Ride By Myself? Feb/Mar 2014 TR
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for this trip report. We've booked our first meal at Yachtsman this trip and my DD is determined to go for the Porterhouse LOL it looks bigger than she is.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Mmmm, your Yachtsman photos just made my mouth water. Such a good restaurant.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Britard
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying the report so far and joining in for more!!

Me DH DD DD DS

Disney Trips
2011- January (POP), March (AS sports), April (POR), May (ASMu), August (CSR)
2010- February (POP), April (ASMu), May (ASMo), September (POP), October (AS sports), December (ASMo)
2009- April, August (ASMu), November (FW)
2000- November Honeymoon (CSR)
1997-June (CBR)
And many numerous visits as a kid-mostly at FW
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your breakfast at the Wave looks great! Sweet Potato Pancakes

Glad you got to see the giant lemon for yourself! Yay for R&C taking walkups!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your breakfast at the Wave looks great! Sweet Potato Pancakes

Glad you got to see the giant lemon for yourself! Yay for R&C taking walkups!
Ahh, I don't even want to get started on how delicious those pancakes were. Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britard View Post
I'm enjoying the report so far and joining in for more!!
Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Mmmm, your Yachtsman photos just made my mouth water. Such a good restaurant.
It is indeed an awesome restaurant. We are going back on our next trip and can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Thanks so much for this trip report. We've booked our first meal at Yachtsman this trip and my DD is determined to go for the Porterhouse LOL it looks bigger than she is.
It is a HUGE steak! LOL. I'm surprised DH finished it but I guess that explains why he didn't eat the side that came with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld5 View Post
I am loving your trip report. Especially the food reviews. Can't wait to read more.
Ahh, yes, who doesn't love food? Thanks for joining!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
archdandy
DIS Veteran

Around the World

When we last left off we were just about to head in to the Rose & Crown after successfully being taken as walk ups!

The hostess sat us at our table and our waitress came shortly after. I finally managed to remember one of our servers names, haha, it was Gem. She went through the menu a bit with us and explained some of our options on the dining plan.

We ordered our appetizers and entree's at the same time and waited for our drinks. DH ordered lemonade and I ordered tea. Of course it was Twinings tea which I was grateful for instead of that other stuff they serve at a lot of places. The only problem was that all of the bags she brought me were decaf Looking back on it now I should have said something to our waitress but at the time I didn't bother because I wasn't familiar with the brand and didn't know if decaf was the regular or something.

Anyways, for our appetizers we ordered:

Cheese Platter (DH)

Potato & Leek Soup (Me)

My soup was delicious, much better than the stuff I make at home. I only ate about half of it as I was saving room for the entree's. DH's cheese plate was really good as well. I was surprised he ordered this as he is not usually very adventurous with food. The cheese's were all pretty mild except for the last one. It tasted exactly like a barn smells

We both ordered the same entree's.

Fish and Chips

These were delicious! The fries were very thick cut and I love them when the are like that. They were crispy and warm and just thinking about them makes me hungry. The fish was excellent as well. The batter was crispy and not soggy and the fish had a nice flavor to it.

By this point we were so stuffed from our big breakfast and lunch and we couldn't get dessert down. The one thing I will mention about our waitress was that she was kind of pushy for us to get dessert. She just kept reminding us that it was part of the dining plan. Yeah, we got it, thanks.

We settled our bill and continued our trek around the world. We passed through France and checked out the Boulangerie Patisserie. I'd never been inside so I was curious and I wanted to scope out some goodies for later consumption! It was very crowded in there and we didn't stay long.

We made our way to Morocoo and browsed through some of the shops. I'd never really looked around in the country before so it was all new to me. We continued on until we got to Germany. Of course we had to stop in Karamel Kuche. My family on my mom's side is are all German so this is my favorite country in Disney. Everything in Karamel Kuche is drool worthy but we both ended up settling on the same thing.

Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes

These were alright. The cake was very moist but the icing wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be more of a buttercream frosting but it wasn't. It wasn't bad just not what I thought it was going to be. It had a kind of gritty texture to it as well.

By this point we were kind of losing our steam and we wanted to go back to the resort for a rest. I don't think we even made it to the rest of the showcase. Or if we did we just briskly walked through them. Shame on us right? I believe we had intentions of coming back that night to watch Illuminations.

On our way out we walked back through the Mission: Space area and spotted a cart that was selling cinnamon and sugar pretzels. We couldn't resist getting one and we didn't even get a picture of it before it was gone. That's how good it was.

Slowly but surely we made our way out of EPCOT and to the bus station. It's always so confusing coming out of this park to the buses because we always end up going the wrong way.

Last edited by archdandy; 05-11-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: