Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #1006
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Speaking of the cabana's .... Is there a link to information on these or do you have to call and speak to the resort?

TIA
The info is on the first page of this thread.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #1007
Stasieki
DIS Veteran

I’ve been back for a few weeks now, but figured I would post a little review of my first Poly stay. It truly was a magical vacation and the Poly was wonderful. I didn’t think we would use the pool area much, but that was some of our favorite times. The slide was closed, but the kids didn’t seem to care. We enjoyed relaxing on the beach, drinking out tropical drinks, while the kids played pool games with the counselors. And, watching Wishes from the beach is as great as everyone says. I wish we would have done it every night.

We were garden view and got all our requests… Tokeleu, 3rd FL, connecting room with our friends. We were close to the elevator. I liked only having one sink. There just seemed to be much more room. The rooms were clean and in pretty good working order and had tons of space. There was a lot of wear and tear (faucet falling off in shower and sink handle hard to work), but those things didn’t bother me. We got zero towel animals which kind of was disappointing, but I still left daily tips. I think I had a high anticipation for this because we got over loaded with them last year at POR so the kids loved it. Of course, that didn’t ruin our trip either.

We didn’t care for the Ohana Breakfast, but loved the dinner. I thought Captain Cooks could have more choices, but being so small must be the issue. We did encounter one rude CM our first night at Captain Cooks. She was very annoyed at us asking questions – it is quite confusing at first. And since you all are talking coffee… the stuff in the room is nasty, but I got the Kona coffee at the coffee bar so all was good. My friend got the mocha and paid $6.00 for a Dixie cup – it was pretty funny.

All the other CM’s there were wonderful!!!!! A front desk one even gave my daughter 4 pins after some fell off her lanyard in the parking lot and we couldn’t find them.

I'm dreaming of the day I will be back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #1008
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
I’ve been back for a few weeks now, but figured I would post a little review of my first Poly stay. It truly was a magical vacation and the Poly was wonderful. I didn’t think we would use the pool area much, but that was some of our favorite times. The slide was closed, but the kids didn’t seem to care. We enjoyed relaxing on the beach, drinking out tropical drinks, while the kids played pool games with the counselors. And, watching Wishes from the beach is as great as everyone says. I wish we would have done it every night.

We were garden view and got all our requests… Tokeleu, 3rd FL, connecting room with our friends. We were close to the elevator. I liked only having one sink. There just seemed to be much more room. The rooms were clean and in pretty good working order and had tons of space. There was a lot of wear and tear (faucet falling off in shower and sink handle hard to work), but those things didn’t bother me. We got zero towel animals which kind of was disappointing, but I still left daily tips. I think I had a high anticipation for this because we got over loaded with them last year at POR so the kids loved it. Of course, that didn’t ruin our trip either.

We didn’t care for the Ohana Breakfast, but loved the dinner. I thought Captain Cooks could have more choices, but being so small must be the issue. We did encounter one rude CM our first night at Captain Cooks. She was very annoyed at us asking questions – it is quite confusing at first. And since you all are talking coffee… the stuff in the room is nasty, but I got the Kona coffee at the coffee bar so all was good. My friend got the mocha and paid $6.00 for a Dixie cup – it was pretty funny.

All the other CM’s there were wonderful!!!!! A front desk one even gave my daughter 4 pins after some fell off her lanyard in the parking lot and we couldn’t find them.

Great report! I too am wondering how much time we will actually spend by the pool. We have one full day planned with a cabana rental (our check-out day actually) but other than that, we don't really have any scheduled pool time. Although with a 9 year old in tow, and coming from the freezing cold North, we will probably LOVE to be on the beach in our swimsuits drinking yummy tropical drinks too!!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
November, 2014 - Paradisus La Esmeralda, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #1009
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Great report! I too am wondering how much time we will actually spend by the pool. We have one full day planned with a cabana rental (our check-out day actually) but other than that, we don't really have any scheduled pool time. Although with a 9 year old in tow, and coming from the freezing cold North, we will probably LOVE to be on the beach in our swimsuits drinking yummy tropical drinks too!!
Yeah I agree, we went to the pool maybe once the entire time there. It was nice, but would have been better if the slide was open. Yeah we actually enjoyed the beach a bit while there. Loved the Lapu Lapu and Island Sunsets.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #1010
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Final Payment Day!

Shameless ticker check:
We made our final payment today on our newly minted Disney Premiere Visa so we get a $200 gift card, 2% back on Disney and other stuff (roughly $100 for this payment alone) and 1% on general stuff. We will also purchase annual passes and a TIW card when we enter Epcot for our dinner reservation the first night (flying from Arizona we arrive in the early evening… darn time zones). With several additional trips to WDW planned over the next year we should do well with the rewards.

We are truly excited to be staying at the Poly and want to thank everyone for the updates, tips and help planning this and future trips!

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL
first trip 1976, multiple off sites in between , last WDW BC CL 2/2010 and DL Grand Cali 12/2010, next trips 7/2012 (off site), 4/2013 with cruise, 12/2013
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #1011
dogsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Glad you had a wonderful time. Have to admit that your mention of the plumbing issues gives me concern. Yours is the second post I have read re the plumbing at the Poly. One poster mentioned a toilet not working that they had to have fixed. I realize that the Poly is beginning to show her age. We have stayed at WL, AKL and CR, but never the Poly and we have always wanted to and so I booked for Dec. a CL room. I am wondering if spending the extra money for a CL room is going to be worth it if the room is going to have issues. I don't mind spending money as long as it is well spent. I realize that a lot of people have an emotional attachment to a particular resort. But if it wasn't Disney, would you spend that much money for a room that had a faucet falling off in the shower?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #1012
Stasieki
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmom View Post
Glad you had a wonderful time. Have to admit that your mention of the plumbing issues gives me concern. Yours is the second post I have read re the plumbing at the Poly. One poster mentioned a toilet not working that they had to have fixed. I realize that the Poly is beginning to show her age. We have stayed at WL, AKL and CR, but never the Poly and we have always wanted to and so I booked for Dec. a CL room. I am wondering if spending the extra money for a CL room is going to be worth it if the room is going to have issues. I don't mind spending money as long as it is well spent. I realize that a lot of people have an emotional attachment to a particular resort. But if it wasn't Disney, would you spend that much money for a room that had a faucet falling off in the shower?
I know what you mean. I would think the CL rooms are kept up at a more rapid pace. Or I would hope so. I will say I did think about the Ritz Carlton we stayed at 10 years ago on Mauii for our honeymoon. You wouldn't dare find those types of issues. And it is half the price (granted 2001 prices) I know I could have said something and not sure why I didn't.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #1013
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmom View Post
I personally wouldn't sweat the small stuff. Not sure I would classify those as plumbing issues.....more like deferred maintenance. Every resort(every hotel for that matter) is going to have issues that need maintenance. Every guest that comes thru treats the room....differently. You never know if the guests before you were mild-mannered gentle souls or drunken slobs getting into brawls. Don't worry about it

As far as CL level goes.....only you can make the determination if it is "worth the money" as it is subjective. If you are looking to get your money's worth out of CL you are probably setting yourself up for disappointment. I believe it is more of a convenience/service/location factor. The rooms are exactly the same as the others at the Poly (with the exception of being smaller than the newer buildings) You are getting the location on the lagoon accross from the castle and next to the pools, the services of the concierge planning staff, and snacks/lite eating fare as a convenience. Personally, I have never stayed CL at any resort as I do not find the value or desire the service/convenience/location of such. Many swear by it and it has value to them...works for their vacation style.

So jealous you get to go in December and see all the decorations! Enjoy

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1014
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Speaking of the cabana's .... Is there a link to information on these or do you have to call and speak to the resort?

TIA
To book the cabanas you need to call 1-407-939-7529 (1-407-WDW-PLAY) they will ask for a credit card (to hold reservation) but will not charge the card. The first page has some pictures and descriptions and there are a lot of great Poly veterans here that can answer your questions if the need arises. I have some pics of the premium cabana if you would like me to post them. I know Tinkerbelle16 has photos of the cabana from her last stay.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1015
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
Carl, I'm waiting with baited breath for another live feed from the Premium Cabana! I can't wait to see it! I've still got 6 months to pine for that beach front property. :-(
I think I have the go ahead for another live feed from the premium cabana. So get ready. 85 more days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Carl's live feed was AMAZING!!!!
Awe.. Thank you very much! I am really glad you guys enjoyed that!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #1016
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
Tinkerbellie! I finally got my pic to load, this is my daughter. Sorry the picture is so large.

She is so lovely! I'm glad you got it to post! It does look like my daughter and yours could be related!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post

I deal with people all day every day at work. Meetings.. Meetings... Meetings...
So if we rented the regular cabana I would feel obligated to talk to my neighbor. After all we are sharing a private piece of the Poly. I would rather just chill in privacy. I wouldn't mind a dis-meet but I don't want to hang with another family all day.
Meetings.... I'm in them ALL the time. 8 - 12 hours a day. I'm a PM and this project is finally winding down after 2.5 years. I'm actually traveling right now and asked my boss what's next. He said he knows I don't want to travel so much so he offered me Asia or Latin America So I told him I'm taking a LONG vacation in July to Disneyworld and to count me out for that time. And he's sending me to a conference in Orlando in May But no Poly this year...yet...I've booked DL, CBR, CSR, and BWV. Wait, I thought I wasn't going to travel as much

Well, that was totally

Quote:

I love reviews - thank you for posting! I feel the same way about one sink in Tokelau - I like the space! And I have received a total of one towel animal in my 4 stays at the Poly and that was something in the room when we checked in. I was pretty astounded at WLV last year when I received 2 towel animals during one stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
My DH requests 'beer and a pool' for any vacation. And my kids are fishes so we schedule in pool time every day. We go in the afternoon for a few hours (between our morning and evening parks) and then again in the late evening. But it all depends on your family's vacation style. We are also ok spending hours at the pool since we've been to Disney a few times and don't feel we have to see everything each time we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Yeah I agree, we went to the pool maybe once the entire time there. It was nice, but would have been better if the slide was open. Yeah we actually enjoyed the beach a bit while there. Loved the Lapu Lapu and Island Sunsets.
So glad you tried the Island Sunset! I really enjoyed that one on our last vacation

Okay, I guess I should log off. The guy in the room next to me has his TV so loud though that I'm trying to keep myself occupied so I don't pound on his door. I wonder how loud I can turn up my TV until hotel management yells at me

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #1017
JVP1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Okay, I guess I should log off. The guy in the room next to me has his TV so loud though that I'm trying to keep myself occupied so I don't pound on his door. I wonder how loud I can turn up my TV until hotel management yells at me

I stayed at the Poly 2 years ago w/ my girlfriend and all our daughters.
I woke up in the middle of the night to the guy next door snoring so incredibly
loud I have no patience for that since I have to deal w/ it every night with hubby and he had stayed home for this trip. Soooo much to my girlfriends surprise, I called the guys room and hung up when the guy answered. Stopped the snoring
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #1018
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVP1 View Post
I stayed at the Poly 2 years ago w/ my girlfriend and all our daughters.
I woke up in the middle of the night to the guy next door snoring so incredibly
loud I have no patience for that since I have to deal w/ it every night with hubby and he had stayed home for this trip. Soooo much to my girlfriends surprise, I called the guys room and hung up when the guy answered. Stopped the snoring
Too funny... I would have done the same thing.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #1019
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Shameless ticker check:
We made our final payment today on our newly minted Disney Premiere Visa so we get a $200 gift card, 2% back on Disney and other stuff (roughly $100 for this payment alone) and 1% on general stuff. We will also purchase annual passes and a TIW card when we enter Epcot for our dinner reservation the first night (flying from Arizona we arrive in the early evening… darn time zones). With several additional trips to WDW planned over the next year we should do well with the rewards.

We are truly excited to be staying at the Poly and want to thank everyone for the updates, tips and help planning this and future trips!

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL
first trip 1976, multiple off sites in between , last WDW BC CL 2/2010 and DL Grand Cali 12/2010, next trips 7/2012 (off site), 4/2013 with cruise, 12/2013
We live in Az also. I can relate to the time zone. We can never get to WDW before 5pm and we always take the 6am flight. Enjoy your annual passes this year. We bought them last May, and have made 4 trips with them.

Did your just get a Disney premium Visa or did you get those perks for upgrading? I got the offer to upgrade in the mail and they were offering 5% cash back I don't remember a gift card offer. I haven't decided if I am going to upgrade or not.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1020
cassiopia419
Earning My Ears

There Soon!

Leaving for the airport in 2 hours for our very first WDW trip! We should arrive at the Poly around 7pm and can't wait to see the room and which longhouse we end up in.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: