Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #3346
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Probably not. They said they were getting rid of it because it doesn't get booked as often as they'd like.
I was thinking the same thing~ figures, the ONE time we would probably use it! I'm still going to call though and see what they say!
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #3347
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Today our cabana attendant confirmed the deluxe cabana will be the location of the hot tub. She also informed us that they're adding two more standard cabanas on the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Interesting (Tikiman has been reporting that the hot tub will go where the children's play area is).
Carl (carlinx) reported the hot tub would also be in the deluxe cabana location. I hope that's right because that is the right place for it! And 2 more cabanas on the beach? Awesome!!!

I think I mentioned this a few pages back but DH and I totally agree that the reason we like our Disney vacations is because of the POLY!!! So he said we could go back to Disney and the Poly when they remodeled the pool and hot tub or whatever they are going to do! UGH!!! So I vote for doing it NOW!!!!!!!!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #3348
Plum Pirate
Earning My Ears

Hi all,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this, as this thread seems to be populated with Poly fans. My daughters and I are heading to the World next week, with a planned split stay between Yacht (4 nights) and Poly (3 nights). We are traveling with close friends who are staying at the Yacht the entire time. We LOVE the Yacht and Beach Club, but were hoping to try the Poly with the passholder rate of $303 night. However, we have decided to return next February for the Princess 1/2 Marathon and were thinking it might make sense to postpone our Polynesian stay until then, which would be a shorter trip and maybe we could get the same or a similar rate (much more than that would make it out of the question for us as the $303 is a splurge).

So my question to you experienced Polynesian vacationers is: What are the chances of us getting a rate at or lower than $303 in late February? We really want to experience a monorail resort - the Poly in particular - but we would also like to stay with our friends for this trip.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

And yes, the tickler is messed up..... I need to fix it.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #3349
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about rates historically, but there was a 30-40% pass holder rate last year during the princess. I booked a RGR at POR with the ap rate and was bumped to the poly when the rooms weren't ready.

Staying at the poly for the princess was awesome. So easy to travel around and saved the legs a bit with the monorail.

We are doing a family stay at poly next year because of my experience. Good luck!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3350
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Thanks Linda! I just read the latest posts to the "Polynesian Resort Reviews" thread and had a twinge of fright hearing the words, Dark, dank, and musty.....but then I remembered our Dani is there right NOW , LOVING her room and EVERYTHING about the resort.....it brought me back and I am fine!!! back to VERY excited about my first Poly stay
First I have to say some people just don't understand how to 'rate' a resort.

I agree, the poly is dark(er) than some other resorts - but once you turn the light on or open the blinds, they all compare about the same. I could go on and on and nit pick a million little things about the poly - have to admit I noticed things on our first Poly stay (last trip) that I might not have noticed had I not read reviews. However, despite noticing anything I may have noticed - we're going back. despite any complaints we may have made while wew ere there - or now that we're (still) home - our children mutinied when we suggested staying anywhere else. In fact even after showing them AoA (they're 5 and under) they still said, looks nice to visit, but its not the Poly.

We're looking forward to the renos, however, both DH and I are very concerned as to how much they'll change things. Something about the GCH is magnificent. Walking through there to eat at Ohana's trip after trip had us falling in love more and more. So now we wonder - how can they update the Poly, without changing the feel, the emotion, the place holds? I NEED the interior garden, the flowers, the palms, the waterfalls.

Can hardly wait to be back!

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children
Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #3351
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
Yes, definitely check out torch lighting ceremony. But keep in mind it does not happen on Sun and MondAy night because the Luau is dark. It is about 10 minutes but great fun! The hula lessons are in the lobby in the afternoon. Check the activities guide upon arrival. There is a great kids area in the lobby where old cartoon are played while the kids can color or make leis! DH and I like to relax and people watch while DD sat and colored and watched the cartoons.

As far as the Lapu Lapu, I say give it a try. Maybe share it with your DH. Honestly is looks big in that pineapple but it is not too much of a drink but it IS potent. It is nice a fruity too! As one DISer used to say, one makes you happy, two makes you invisible!

I enjoyed one while listening to some fabulous music in the Tambu lounge and it was a nice nightcap we went back to the room and I was ready to zonk out!

Happy planning! I hope I helped answer some of your questions
Thank you so much for all of the info ...this really helped me out a lot. I think I am going to try the Lapu Lapu out, it just looks so cool in the pineapple. Also, good idea about sharing it with DH . I think my kids will have fun making leis and doing the hula dance lessons. Even though we are there for a short time (afterwards we are moving over to BLT for the rest of our stay), this trip is all about stopping and smelling the roses and doing things we have never done before, and I know everyone will have a fun time doing all the different activities offered there .
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #3352
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1

Thank you so much for all of the info ...this really helped me out a lot. I think I am going to try the Lapu Lapu out, it just looks so cool in the pineapple. Also, good idea about sharing it with DH . I think my kids will have fun making leis and doing the hula dance lessons. Even though we are there for a short time (afterwards we are moving over to BLT for the rest of our stay), this trip is all about stopping and smelling the roses and doing things we have never done before, and I know everyone will have a fun time doing all the different activities offered there .
You are so correct about enjoying the Poly while you are there. We consider ourselves "resort commando" as opposed to park commandos. We like to enjoy all the beauty and relaxing the Poly has to offer and the parks are just an added bonus

Make sure you come back and tell us how your trip was!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #3353
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are so correct about enjoying the Poly while you are there. We consider ourselves "resort commando" as opposed to park commandos. We like to enjoy all the beauty and relaxing the Poly has to offer and the parks are just an added bonus

We were a veeeeeeery park commando type family. We stayed almost exclusively at values (except for 1 stay at CBR). That was until we stayed at WL (CL), we have been transformed! I guess we are now "resort commandos"
We spent so much time just hanging out at WL. And now that we know we can do that, I was able to book Poly CL with confidence because I now know we are capable of relaxing and enjoying the resort! I can't wait to see what the Poly holds for us!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #3354
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I most definitely will

You know it is funny how you talk about being resort commandos...this upcoming trip will be my kid's 9th trip to the World...we have seen and done almost everything in the Disney parks. The resort commando phrase is exactly how we are starting to feel (kids included). We love spending time at the resorts, I think even more then spending time at the parks. All the resorts have so much to offer, and like you said the parks are just an added bonus.

Last year we bought a really nice camera which I plan to take some wonderful, up close and personal, pictures around the Poly (I used to take all different types of photography courses in HS and College, it's kind of a hobby for me)...I will post those too when I return .
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #3355
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

We are having so much fun relaxing at the Poly. We extended both I our half day cabana rentals to full day. 12 nights just isn't enough. I am supposed to be doing a cruise for my travel agency next year but I may cancel it and head back to the Poly.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #3356
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We just returned from the Poly last night and we had 8 glorious days (7 nights) at the beautiful, convenient Poly!

We found everything perfect, from the condition of the grounds, the room, the transportation, the courtesy of the CMs...everything! Our room requests were met, and we were very happy with the state of the room, it was in better shape than the one we had on the same floor in 2010. It was very clean and in great shape, and mousekeeping was efficient. We left notes (with a small tip) every day requesting a little bit more of something (towels, another bar of soap, more shampoo, etc.) and everything was provided in overabundance. In fairness I must state that we LIKE the decor and the colors. We don't find them dark or offensive in any way, in fact we adore the kitschy light fixtures and like the earthy tones of the bedspreads and the brown carpet.

If we had to find fault, I will say the carpets in the hallways of the longhouses are quite dirty, in serious need of a deep cleaning. I imagine it is virtually impossible to keep up with this during rainy season; we found them in similar condition in 2010. They don't appear worn or frayed or dated to us...just dirty. The carpets in the hallways at the CR appeared in the same condition, as a matter of fact. Again, it is rainy season in florida. I guess the carpets would be dirty by the end of each day even if you shampooed them every day! I'm a little concerned about how they are going to keep up with the new carpet design; it is lighter than the existing one and seems like it will be even harder to keep clean.

The volcano pool looks beautiful with the new coat of paint and the slide is fantastic. We didn't find the common areas including the pool anywhere near as crowded as they were during the same week in 2010, which is a good thing because we could not enjoy the pool at all during that trip. In fact, this trip, the quiet pool was closed a few times for maintenance and there was still plenty of room in the volcano pool. We had our pick of lounge chairs on the beach and were even able to score a table on the pool deck after no more than a 5 minute wait in the late afternoons when we arrived.

The slide totally rocks! We had stayed at AKL, CSR, and CR since our last Poly stay, so the slide was a real treat. That thing is FAST!

Kona Cafe is a beautiful restaurant. I just love the colors and the decor, the food is fantastic and the servers are the best! I have heard it said that it feels like dining in a mall and I would love to know where people shop, so I could go to there! We had both breakfast and lunch there during this stay, and I wish we could have dined there even more!

Tambu lounge...what can I say, besides YUMMO on those tropical cocktails. The bar tenders are so friendly and they really know how to pour!

We didn't personally experience any problems with transportation, but we talked to some others who did experience problems with the monorail. We had a few delays here and there for "traffic clearance," no more than maybe 5minutes between stops if there was a particularly crowded train or a guest that needed assistance ahead of us. There was one monorail that had electrical problems with its doors, but we got lucky and it only delayed us for a few minutes. I heard that one afternoon the monorail shut down for 45 minutes (DH and I were in the pool, and we saw one of those larger boats pull into the dock; I turned to DH and said, "hmmm I wonder if the monorail is down?"...it was). When the monorail is down for any reason, additional boats are added and bus service is offered, but the CMs aren't always informed and don't always seem to know how to direct guests, and guests get frustrated.

If any of you didn't catch it, I wrote a live trip report on the Countdowns and Live Reports thread. If you have any questions, please ask. I would not hesitate to recommend the Poly to anyone, and my family can't wait to get back there!

As for any changes that Disney might make to the grounds or the GCH, I'm sure they will be awesome! We love the Poly exactly as it is, but I'd be hard pressed to think of a change Disney has made to its physical grounds that I haven't warmed up to eventually! (Not sure it's gonna happen with the new Dumbo, though). If anything happens to the GCH, I'm sure it will only be MORE great and MORE Polynesian, if that can be imagined.

I just hope they don't change the smell! I LOVE that SMELL!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #3357
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Ahhhhhh........4 days! Technically three since I will be crashing soon and working a 12 hour tomorrow!

Nothing is packed but I do have a pile of stuff to bring/not forget and some lists. Did get a pedi this weekend too

DD is already for back to school the day after we get home and to throw a little more craziness I have a job interview Wednesday morning which I had originally planned to be my marathon laundry and cleaning day!

I will be ready for vacation for sure!
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #3358
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

I miss the Poly. The first and last time we have stayed there was in 2008 and I'm still dieing to go back. I remember reading the Polynesian thread every day in the summer leading up to our vacation. I haven't been on the DIS as much as I use to, and I am really hoping we can go back soon. I miss Disney a lot, especially the Polynesian. Definitely my favorite Disney resort, and hope I can return. Hoping to go back next December but we will see if we can make it happen.
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #3359
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I am anxious to know how they are going to handle the GCH. I need my Ohana fix and especially that Poly smell.
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #3360
gaildmoody
Mouseketeer

32 DAYS! I can't wait! We are celebrating my daughters 35th birthday! Of course we had to do TPV CL!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: