Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #3106
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
This is a riot...
It's just really unfortunate and kind of crazy that someone who clearly has a passion for the resort and has been a huge source of information for visitors is not supposed to be posting here.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #3107
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I have an image of an alarm going off on some moderator's computer somewhere ... "we have a Tikiman breach in the Resorts forum, I repeat, a Tikiman breach in the Resorts forum!"
I'm new here, does anyone know why he's not supposed to post on here? Your description cracked me up!!!
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #3108
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

After reading hundreds of pages, I'm hopping in.

I'm a total Disney Newbie, never been to the World, visited DisneyLand when I was 7, and have no recollection of anything.

I promise not to ask about the coffee makers.

After being pretty certain of staying at CR, we switched to the Poly. After all of these pages and posts, I'm very pleased we chose this resort. I'm travelling with my 5 year old twins, DS and DD and my DH of course.

As with all the newbies, I'm going to ask about which longhouse to request. My first priority is quiet for my early to bed kids. My second priority is proximity to transportation, such as GCH and boat launch. My third priority is as gorgeous a view as a garden view can offer.

I am also gathering opinions about people who have stayed at the Poly with young kids. My pair is 5, and both are well behaved, but I wonder about the safety of having a first floor room with a patio for them to walk out at will. They won't, and they will be supervised 100% of the time, but I worry, you know? It's my job. So, for those of you who have Poly-ed with youngsters, did you have a first floor room? And how was it?

I'm coming with my MIL/FIL and BIL/SIL also, so we will have 3 rooms between us. It would be nice to have a first floor rooms ajoining, so we can combine our patio space. Are the patios open to each other, or fenced?

How high are the balcony railings? That's another safety concern. I can't imagine my pair ever trying to climb a railing. It's a fine line between overly security minded and paranoid I guess.

Regarding walking to the TTC, it is generally my preference to log as few miles onto my knees, which seem to think that since I have arthiritis they are 80 years old. So, how long is the walk to the TTC, from, say Tokelau? Also, is it significantly faster and worth the extra steps? Like, by walking 5 minutes, am I saving 45 minutes? I hate being 40 and thinking like this!! Sad that I'm fit and young and healthy and have to plan things around my knees. I have started a walking program to prep for this.

We are going to be there from 11/29 through 12/7. Generally speaking, is this a swimming time of year or no? I know weather can vary, and we're definately bringing suits, but I was just curious as to whether the air is warm enough for swimming, even in a heated pool.

We aren't going to hit a park on our departure day, the ME will leave with us at noon. Anyone have suggestions as to what to do in the morning?

Can anyone tell me about the afternoon activities around the resort?

We have ADRs at 6:40 at 'Ohana. What time will we roll out of there with our bloated bellies?

For our ADRs at Chef Mickey at 5:35PM, what time should we be at the GCH for the Monorail? Or would we do TTC?

Too many questions? I'm going to save the rest so I don't wear out my welcome.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #3109
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya

It's just really unfortunate and kind of crazy that someone who clearly has a passion for the resort and has been a huge source of information for visitors is not supposed to be posting here.
I could not agree more! The boards are so much more uptight now than they were when I joined 11 years ago.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #3110
longing4disney
Mouseketeer

We have just changed our reservation from a Contemporary TPV to the Poly TPV to enjoy the free dining promo for our Nov 27 to Dec 8 stay. We were all ready for the Contemporary but now need to read up all we can on the Poly. I am definitely going to miss being able to walk to MK but also looking forward to trying a diff resort.

Going through the posts here, there seems to be some renovation of the Poly going on. I have requested for Tahiti. Does any one know where I can go check out if it'll be closed during the time we'll be there? If so, we may just decide to save more money and go for a std view, through that will be disappointing as we really like to have a TPV.

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #3111
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney
We have just changed our reservation from a Contemporary TPV to the Poly TPV to enjoy the free dining promo for our Nov 27 to Dec 8 stay. We were all ready for the Contemporary but now need to read up all we can on the Poly. I am definitely going to miss being able to walk to MK but also looking forward to trying a diff resort.

Going through the posts here, there seems to be some renovation of the Poly going on. I have requested for Tahiti. Does any one know where I can go check out if it'll be closed during the time we'll be there? If so, we may just decide to save more money and go for a std view, through that will be disappointing as we really like to have a TPV.
I don't think anything has been officially announced just yet- anything we're hearing is strictly word of mouth and speculation at this point.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #3112
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
I'm new here, does anyone know why he's not supposed to post on here? Your description cracked me up!!!
Aloha! Tikiman runs a website that promotes a travel agency that directly competes for Disney business with the agency owned by the founders/operators of TheDIS. I believe that Tikiman talked about that agency here and also welcomed DISers over to his site where the promotions were obvious, and so he was asked not to use this site any more. At least that is my understanding of it, though it might be more complicated than that. We are not supposed to post links to Steve's site or the travel agency on TheDIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post

I'm a total Disney Newbie, never been to the World, visited DisneyLand when I was 7, and have no recollection of anything. Welcome, you are in for a treat!

I promise not to ask about the coffee makers.

After being pretty certain of staying at CR, we switched to the Poly. After all of these pages and posts, I'm very pleased we chose this resort. I'm travelling with my 5 year old twins, DS and DD and my DH of course.

As with all the newbies, I'm going to ask about which longhouse to request. My first priority is quiet for my early to bed kids. My second priority is proximity to transportation, such as GCH and boat launch. My third priority is as gorgeous a view as a garden view can offer. I would request Tokelau facing the CR or Rarotonga facing the monorail. Both of these locations will probably provide lots of quiet while being extremely conveniently located. The advantage to Tokelau is the rooms are slightly larger than Rarotonga and there are balconies on both second and third floor. Rarotonga faces the monorail on one side, but that side is also facing the parking lot (but through the foliage and at a bit of a distance. Most people say they don't notice the parking lot) The other side faces the Quiet Pool and while it's LOVELY, you COULD get some noise from there, it depends. Also, the second floor of Rarotonga does not have balconies. The location of Rarotonga cannot be beat!

I am also gathering opinions about people who have stayed at the Poly with young kids. My pair is 5, and both are well behaved, but I wonder about the safety of having a first floor room with a patio for them to walk out at will. They won't, and they will be supervised 100% of the time, but I worry, you know? It's my job. So, for those of you who have Poly-ed with youngsters, did you have a first floor room? And how was it?

I'm coming with my MIL/FIL and BIL/SIL also, so we will have 3 rooms between us. It would be nice to have a first floor rooms ajoining, so we can combine our patio space. Are the patios open to each other, or fenced? You can request to have adjoining rooms but they aren't guaranteed. Also, I don't think that 3 will adjoin...probably only 2, but I could be wrong.

How high are the balcony railings? That's another safety concern. I can't imagine my pair ever trying to climb a railing. It's a fine line between overly security minded and paranoid I guess. The railings are high, but if a 5 year old really WANTED to go over, he/she could by climbing on the chair. I would just not let them out there alone.

Regarding walking to the TTC, it is generally my preference to log as few miles onto my knees, which seem to think that since I have arthiritis they are 80 years old. So, how long is the walk to the TTC, from, say Tokelau? Also, is it significantly faster and worth the extra steps? Like, by walking 5 minutes, am I saving 45 minutes? I hate being 40 and thinking like this!! Sad that I'm fit and young and healthy and have to plan things around my knees. I have started a walking program to prep for this. The Poly is actually one of the smallest and least spread-out resorts at Disney. Yes, you would be saving lots of time by walking to the TTC...maybe not 45 minutes, but I'd bet it would be at least 30. Where ever your room is at the Poly, you have to walk to a monorail, either at the GCH or the TTC. If you use the resort monorail to the TTC, you have to switch monorails by walking down one long platform and up another. If you walk to the TTC you just have to walk up the one. We timed the walk from Samoa to the monorail to be 7 minutes at a very leisurely pace. Both Tokelau and Rarotonga are closer to TTC than Samoa, so I think your walk would be about 5 minutes from either of those buildings.

We are going to be there from 11/29 through 12/7. Generally speaking, is this a swimming time of year or no? I know weather can vary, and we're definately bringing suits, but I was just curious as to whether the air is warm enough for swimming, even in a heated pool. We were there the last week of October of 2001 and only had one day we considered warm enough for swimming. And the first week of December a few years later there was a record-breaking cold snap and we had to wear sweatshirts and jeans every day. They closed the waterparks! You may have hot weather, it may be cold, it's totally unpredictable.

We aren't going to hit a park on our departure day, the ME will leave with us at noon. Anyone have suggestions as to what to do in the morning? 'Ohana for breakfast!

Can anyone tell me about the afternoon activities around the resort? Games at the pool ongoing from 12-4. Hula hoop, scavenger hunt, arts and crafts, music...and more. There are also hula dancing lessons on certain days and I believe more crafts in the GCH.

We have ADRs at 6:40 at 'Ohana. What time will we roll out of there with our bloated bellies? Allow 2 hours, though it will probably be less. You might have to wait for a table beyond your ADR time and service is reported hit-or-miss. We like to take our time at 'Ohana, but I don't think it's ever taken us more than 90 minutes. But we usually go earlier.

For our ADRs at Chef Mickey at 5:35PM, what time should we be at the GCH for the Monorail? Or would we do TTC? 4:45 will give you plenty of time. Use the resort monorail from the GCH. The TTC monorail will bring you to MK and then you'd have to either switch or walk.

Too many questions? I'm going to save the rest so I don't wear out my welcome.
Hope that helps a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post

So far there is no definite schedule. Tikiman had one on his website I think, but recent reports suggest that his schedule is inaccurate. Don't worry if you don't get Tahiti. Tuvalu has spectacular views also. Also, you could even get upgraded to the Hawaii building (CL) if there aren't enough standard rooms due to renovations! I think you will enjoy the Poly as a change of pace from the CR. I doubt you will miss the walk to MK. There are so many other ways to get there, plus you will appreciate the easier access to Epcot via direct monorail to TTC.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3113
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
Hold the phone... I didn't know he couldn't post on here..
WHY???

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #3114
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
Hold the phone... I didn't know he couldn't post on here..
WHY???
This pretty much answers that question, and is as accurate an answer as you will find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Aloha! Tikiman runs a website that promotes a travel agency that directly competes for Disney business with the agency owned by the founders/operators of TheDIS. I believe that Tikiman talked about that agency here and also welcomed DISers over to his site where the promotions were obvious, and so he was asked not to use this site any more. At least that is my understanding of it, though it might be more complicated than that. We are not supposed to post links to Steve's site or the travel agency on TheDIS.

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3115
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here. I'm equally sure you'll be happy with your choice of resorts!

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3116
moodme
Mouseketeer

Trader Jack's Hours

Does anyone know Trader Jack's hours? I purchased the photopass+ and I am looking to turn in the voucher on the first day we are there
Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3117
nadira36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodme View Post
Does anyone know Trader Jack's hours? I purchased the photopass+ and I am looking to turn in the voucher on the first day we are there
I'd like to know as well, but recall them being open fairly late during our last trip, just don't recall what time.

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children
Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #3118
TexasDreamer
Mouseketeer

Just changed our reservation from GV to GVCL for our 12/01 to 12/08 trip. So excited. Last time we were at WDW we got a pixie dust upgrade to club level. We got spoiled. So when we got a 30%PIN we just HAD to upgrade. We will be celebrating both my DS(10) Bday (12/3) and mine (12/08). Can't wait.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #3119
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

I believe Trader Jack's closes at 11pm.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #3120
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDreamer View Post
Just changed our reservation from GV to GVCL for our 12/01 to 12/08 trip. So excited. Last time we were at WDW we got a pixie dust upgrade to club level. We got spoiled. So when we got a 30%PIN we just HAD to upgrade. We will be celebrating both my DS(10) Bday (12/3) and mine (12/08). Can't wait.
Congrats!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: