Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #2866
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnasally View Post
Got to agree with Liz! Some of the previous posts on this thread have caused me to stop and take pause.
We have been going to the Poly since my kids(in their 30's now) were ages 6, 7, and 10. Now we go with grand kids in tow as well.
We consider ourselves regulars to the Poly for most of the last
23 years with a few stops in between to BC/BW or POP. IMO, more people probably stay at the Poly whether they can afford it or not. ( our case most times!) Its simply a matter of loving it as home! During the times we do not stay there we make it a point to "visit" the Poly at least once to get something to eat at Captain Cook's and sit around a table or on the beach for Wishes.
Never have we jumped into the pool in all these years. My birthday is July 3 and we have spent many 4th of July's at the Poly. I have seen the pool area filled and the beaches the same and never once looked around to see who belonged there. It really never mattered to me as long as no one was blocking my view! Every Disney guest has a story of how they
got their family to Disney. I never considered staying at the Poly an entitlement but rather a vacation for my family to enjoy. If others can enjoy it as well with their families --- who I am to judge if they belong? Let us hope the enclosed access to the pool area doesn't ruin the beauty of a place we all love.
PS. We just stayed at the Poly the week before and after Memorial Day Weekend. No wristbands were distributed even one day and it was crowded during the day and at night. The staff was wonderful and all had a good time.
Well first happy belated birthday and secondly what a wonderful post and point of view. I think those of us (and based on what you have said above) who have been Disney regulars since well the Contemporary and Poly were the only hotels have found that Disney has so much more to offer than a visit just to your one and only resort. I find what makes it great for us now is that despite the fact we have visited for years and now have a local residence we find something new or different to do each and every time we are there - whether it be in the parks, a new eating venue, a new activity or a new resort event. I still have things on my list we haven't done! I am just finishing off two weeks with my niece and nephew here and our new activity including beating Hades in the Sorceror of the Kingdom game, riding the new Dumbo and checking out the new Fantasyland area. At the Poly the CM there pulled my niece into an activity that involved what looked like balls (think he said it was just newspaper) on ropes and learning to twirl them. Last month our new activity was trying out one of the Royal rooms at the PO-- those are lovely btw. I still have the Campfire at Fort Wilderness on my to do list but just tooooooo hot right now!

Liz
Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #2867
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

I really don't see why thinking amenties at ANY resort, value or deluxe, Disney or not should be for overnight guests staying at that resort gives me an un-"wonderful attitude". (I know your comments weren't directed towards me specifically, but I get the feeling that both your comments are intended to judge most of us who have posted on this subject). Come for a meal, enjoy the grounds, even enjoy the fireworks (as long as the guests of the resort aren't being impeded from enjoying their stay), anything else, I personally don't think is right. If it wasn't Disney would you have the same attitude? Is it ok to head on over to Universal and hang out all day at one of their resorts if you're not a guest? Would you do it at your local Holiday Inn?

Just because this is a Poly thread and it's a deluxe resort people automatically assume you're a snobby, elitist for thinking that others shouldn't have a free run of the perks of that resort. Would you be posting the same in a POR thead or ASMu?

I personally am not be ok with not being about to enjoy our resort's pool or other amenties if they're overflowing with people who aren't staying there when I've paid a lot of money to take my family on their only vaction of the year. I don't care if it's the Poly or GF or CBR or ***. And I'm pretty sure when you were there nonnasally and the pool was "crowded during the day and night" not everyone was "having a good time." Maybe the locals who rolled in for the day or people from other resorts who were enjoying the volcano pool, but not likely the majority of the Poly guests who couldn't find a seat.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF

Last edited by maiapapaya; 07-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #2868
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I really don't see why thinking amenties at ANY resort, value or deluxe, Disney are not should be for overnight guests staying at that resort gives me an un-"wonderful attitude". (I know your comments weren't directed towards me specifically, but I get the feeling that both your comments are intended to judge most of us who have posted on this subject). Come for a meal, enjoy the grounds, even enjoy the fireworks (as long as the guests of the resort aren't being impeded from enjoying their stay), anything else, I personally don't think is right. If it wasn't Disney would you have the same attitude? Is it ok to head on over to Universal and hang out all day at one of their resorts if you're not a guest? Would you do it at your local Holiday Inn?

Just because this is a Poly thread and it's a deluxe resort people automatically assume you're a snobby, elitist for thinking that others shouldn't have a free run of the perks of that resort. Would you be posting the same in a POR thead or ASMu?

I personally am not be ok with not being about to enjoy our resort's pool or other amenties if they're overflowing with people who aren't staying there when I've paid a lot of money to take my family on their only vaction of the year. I don't care if it's the Poly or GF or CBR or ***. And I'm pretty sure when you were there nonnasally and the pool was "crowded during the day and night" not everyone was "having a good time." Maybe the locals who rolled in for the day or people from other resorts who were enjoying the volcano pool, but not likely the majority of the Poly guests who couldn't find a seat.
Actually many people do head over the Gaylord Palms here in Orlando or the Opryland Hotels in TN just to enjoy the hotel as day guests. I was at Portofino Bay last week and there are all sorts of shops; and in fact they have a coupon flyer they hand out for coupons to use at any of the three Universal Resorts so yes I guess it is ok for people to do that. In Chicago many people drop into a downtown hotel for a drink or just some cool air on a hot day like today. The hospitality industry pretty much does encourage guests to come, visit, sit, spend, and enjoy across the board. The only exceptions that I can think of off the bat (but I am sure there are others) are the all inclusive resorts where everything is included and you do wear a wristband for your entire trip (ick). The Atlantis in the Bahamas has made an industry out of day guests. The Del Coronado in California is another hotel with spectacular views and day visitors are encouraged.

Again, I am not including the Disney resort pools in this hotel hospitality.

Liz
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #2869
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Actually many people do head over the Gaylord Palms here in Orlando or the Opryland Hotels in TN just to enjoy the hotel as day guests. I was at Portofino Bay last week and there are all sorts of shops; and in fact they have a coupon flyer they hand out for coupons to use at any of the three Universal Resorts so yes I guess it is ok for people to do that. In Chicago many people drop into a downtown hotel for a drink or just some cool air on a hot day like today. The hospitality industry pretty much does encourage guests to come, visit, sit, spend, and enjoy across the board. The only exceptions that I can think of off the bat (but I am sure there are others) are the all inclusive resorts where everything is included and you do wear a wristband for your entire trip (ick). The Atlantis in the Bahamas has made an industry out of day guests. The Del Coronado in California is another hotel with spectacular views and day visitors are encouraged.

Again, I am not including the Disney resort pools in this hotel hospitality.

Liz
I said "come for a meal ..." . I'm not talking about visiting a bar, a restaurant or shop. I've said in other posts we often dine at other resorts. I'm talking about the other amenities that people aren't paying for such as the pool (referring to nonnasally's comments) and planned recreational type activities. Again, I would never go hang out at the pool or partake in other activities planned for hotel guests at another resort, Disney or not. That's what I'm talking about.

When you say people head over to these hotels as "day guests" does that mean they pay to use the facilities or do they just go and hang out for free? That's what I'm saying I don't think is right, ie. to roll into a place where you haven't paid to stay with the intention of enjoying an afternoon in the pool, doing the kids' activities, etc. I believe those types of things are intended for paying guests, regardless of where it is.

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #2870
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Sorry for jumping in but I've got a got a bathroom question

When I look at the room maps I see that the bathroom is set up a bit unusually (in my opinion). From what I see the toilet is behind the sink(s) but still visible from the sink/shower area. And there is only one door to the bathroom which separates it from the rest of the room. Am I looking at this correct? With this arrangement only one person can use bathroom at a time. You won't have the luxury of having someone use the toilet and then someone else putting on make-up.

Is this really as weird as it looks? Can someone tell me about their experience and how their family makes use of the bathroom.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #2871
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexscooter View Post
Sorry for jumping in but I've got a got a bathroom question :
Thank heavens!! Something new to talk about!!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #2872
catzle
DIS Veteran

The bathroom is located inside the volcano so to speak behind the waterfall. There are many stalls in there with many sinks.

Back to the fence thing, when are they doing that. I would not like that it would take away from the feeling of the pool. I hope they change their mind.
WLV May 2007,
Poly LVC May 2008,
Poly LVC May 2009,
Wonder Double Dip May 2010 followed by Poly GVC
Dream 4 night, May 2011 followed by Poly LVC
Poly LVC June 2012
WL December 2012
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #2873
catzle
DIS Veteran

oops thought you were talking about the pool.

Yes, the toilet is behind the sink. But one person can be "going" and another one can be at the sink and even a third in the shower if you wanted. The bathroom is large enough.
WLV May 2007,
Poly LVC May 2008,
Poly LVC May 2009,
Poly LVC June 2012
WL December 2012
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #2874
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

No not the pools I have never advocated that. Day guests where they visit the hotel, take in the magnificent lobbies, aquariums, floral gardens , the piano player that is just out in the lobby and not connected to a bar (whatever the hotel is famous for). Eating shopping may be involved but not necessarily so. Resort and hotel visiting is done across the country and the world and is not limited to Disney hotels.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #2875
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Sorry for jumping in but I've got a got a bathroom question

When I look at the room maps I see that the bathroom is set up a bit unusually (in my opinion). From what I see the toilet is behind the sink(s) but still visible from the sink/shower area. And there is only one door to the bathroom which separates it from the rest of the room. Am I looking at this correct? With this arrangement only one person can use bathroom at a time. You won't have the luxury of having someone use the toilet and then someone else putting on make-up.

Is this really as weird as it looks? Can someone tell me about their experience and how their family makes use of the bathroom.
How dare you cut off our debate!
The toilet is kind of tucked in behind a little wall. It isn't really visible from the sink and definitely not from the shower, but someone using the toilet would have no privacy from a sound perspective!

Here's a picture I found that shows the layout pretty well:

Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #2876
latexscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzle View Post
oops thought you were talking about the pool.

Yes, the toilet is behind the sink. But one person can be "going" and another one can be at the sink and even a third in the shower if you wanted. The bathroom is large enough.
I'm not concerned about size so much as privacy. So there is only one door? If someone is having a movement of sorts on the toilet I would assume that the other people "sharing" would be able to experience this as well.

I know you all want to move back to the pool/beach conundrum but hopefully there is room here for several topics simultaneously.

Any help or experience on this from anyone that's stayed at the Poly with their family is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #2877
catzle
DIS Veteran

No, no privacy in the bathroom, only one door.
WLV May 2007,
Poly LVC May 2008,
Poly LVC May 2009,
Poly LVC June 2012
WL December 2012
Old 07-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #2878
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
No not the pools I have never advocated that. Day guests where they visit the hotel, take in the magnificent lobbies, aquariums, floral gardens , the piano player that is just out in the lobby and not connected to a bar (whatever the hotel is famous for). Eating shopping may be involved but not necessarily so. Resort and hotel visiting is done across the country and the world and is not limited to Disney hotels.
I don't have an issue with people just wandering around & taking things in (only if it impedes on the enjoyment of guests) although, honestly I can't imagine hanging out somewhere like that for a day when I'm not patronizing the establishment (ie. dining/drinking) or a guest. It would be uncomfortable and feel somehow like we shouldn't be there.

Last edited by maiapapaya; 07-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2879
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
I'm not concerned about size so much as privacy. So there is only one door? If someone is having a movement of sorts on the toilet I would assume that the other people "sharing" would be able to experience this as well.

I know you all want to move back to the pool/beach conundrum but hopefully there is room here for several topics simultaneously.

Any help or experience on this from anyone that's stayed at the Poly with their family is appreciated.
We're actually quite good with multitasking!
And yes, as catzle said, only an exterior door on the bathroom, no interior divider. The girls are always fine with sharing. Just Daddy is banished or segregated for bathroom time, whatever the case may be.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #2880
latexscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya
And yes, as catzle said, only an exterior door on the bathroom, no interior divider. The girls are always fine with sharing. Just Daddy is banished or segregated for bathroom time, whatever the case may be.
Its Daddy that is the "issue" in our scenario too. I guess we'll have to establish ground rules before hand.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: