Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #2806
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
Read on another page that they did not issue wristbands or restrict access to the beach for non-resort guests last night, and it was fairly crowded (Captain Cooks apparently had a 35-40 minute wait and the line went down the hall and around the corner )

Others reported that a CM came by and told them the beach was now open for fireworks and to go on out to enjoy the fireworks and were not stopped by anyone looking for wristbands.

Word is they may be more strict this evening but time will tell.

If I were a paying resort guest and had to put up with that I'd be pretty peeved. They need to figure out what they're going to do with overcrowding now due to DVC and non-resort guests. Captain Cooks won't be able to accomodate the increased traffic flow.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #2807
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
If I were a paying resort guest and had to put up with that I'd be pretty peeved. They need to figure out what they're going to do with overcrowding now due to DVC and non-resort guests. Captain Cooks won't be able to accomodate the increased traffic flow.
Hi Dani! Your trip is getting soooo close now!! Yay for you!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #2808
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Hi Dani! Your trip is getting soooo close now!! Yay for you!
32 days! I hope the hematologist clears Lily for the trip.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #2809
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
I agree, it's extremely frustrating but unfortunately Disney doesn't want to upset anyone so they don't enforce it or tell anyone no - and there is too much money to be made by the Poly from those guests not staying there - eating there, buying something in the gift shops, etc.- for them to enforce anything.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #2810
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
I agree, it's extremely frustrating but unfortunately Disney doesn't want to upset anyone so they don't enforce it or tell anyone no - and there is too much money to be made by the Poly from those guests not staying there - eating there, buying something in the gift shops, etc.- for them to enforce anything.
Well, they're wrong in thinking they aren't upsetting anyone ... they're upsetting those guests who have actually paid to be there.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #2811
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Well, they're wrong in thinking they aren't upsetting anyone ... they're upsetting those guests who have actually paid to be there.
I'll be the first to agree with you that Disney's decision not to enforce their own rules and give the perks to everyone instead of those who actually paid for them is very maddening to those of us who do fork over the extra money. Unfortunately, if you say that here in the self-entitled world of the Disboards where the rules are for "those other people", you're branded an elitist if you think the perks of the deluxe resorts should only be for those who pay for them.

While Disney may make decisions as to what their rules will be regarding access to the beach at certain times, it would be almost impossible to effectively enforce, some people would be determined to break the rules, and the vast majority would simply not know. Unfortunately, whenever a Disney CM tries to enforce any rules, the guests will often complain to someone higher up the food chain and instead of backing up their CMs, Disney's response (as it seems to me at least) to angry guests seems to be to simply give in to them, much like a parent filling the cart at Toys R Us when little Johnny or Susie has a tantrum. It gets to the point where the CMs don't bother to enforce any rules and you see things like the Poly parking lot becoming the free MK parking lot. Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age but I really don't think Disney cares if it upsets the people staying at the Poly...they already have their money.

L

Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #2812
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
I'll be the first to agree with you that Disney's decision not to enforce their own rules and give the perks to everyone instead of those who actually paid for them is very maddening to those of us who do fork over the extra money. Unfortunately, if you say that here in the self-entitled world of the Disboards where the rules are for "those other people", you're branded an elitist if you think the perks of the deluxe resorts should only be for those who pay for them.

L
Oh, I totally agree! I've been on the receiving end of the elitist dog-piling on more than one occasion! People have no idea how or why others can afford or choose to stay at the Poly (some probably very well-healed, others scrimp & save ...) but mention that you think the perks should only be for those who have actually paid for them & you are branded a rich, elitist snob! Um, maybe I'm just someone who believes in the rules & being fair. I would never crash another resort's pool or try to sneak into a facility that was for a particular resort's guests only and I expect others to be respectful of the rules where I stay.

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2813
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Hi, everyone! I just made our reservation for a stay at the Poly beginning June 1, 2013. I know that's like a million days away but I'm already planning away. Are there any tips, considerations or other things I should know? This is our first stay at the Poly although we're all seasoned Disney travelers. Our party includes myself, DH and our Dd who will be 9 when we go.

Also, I love trip reports so if you can recommend some good reads I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #2814
guitarob
Polynesian Obsessed

Quote:
Oh, I totally agree! I've been on the receiving end of the elitist dog-piling on more than one occasion! People have no idea how or why others can afford or choose to stay at the Poly (some probably very well-healed, others scrimp & save ...) but mention that you think the perks should only be for those who have actually paid for them & you are branded a rich, elitist snob! Um, maybe I'm just someone who believes in the rules & being fair. I would never crash another resort's pool or try to sneak into a facility that was for a particular resort's guests only and I expect others to be respectful of the rules where I stay.
Agreed! Especially since I am of the "scrimp and save" variety.

When we get to heaven, We'll hear "ALOHA!" 2010 Trip Report

1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990 & 1993: Family trips to the Polynesian,
2001 - All Star Music, 2006 - Polynesian, 2008 - Honeymoon at the Polynesian, 2009 - Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2010 - Another Anniversary at the Polynesian, 2012 - Yet ANOTHER Anniversary at the Polynesian and a Christmas trip to the Polynesian!! 2014 - Christmas at the Polynesian!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #2815
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexscooter View Post
Hi, everyone! I just made our reservation for a stay at the Poly beginning June 1, 2013. I know that's like a million days away but I'm already planning away. Are there any tips, considerations or other things I should know? This is our first stay at the Poly although we're all seasoned Disney travelers. Our party includes myself, DH and our Dd who will be 9 when we go.

Also, I love trip reports so if you can recommend some good reads I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Things you shouldn't miss at the Poly:
  • EWP from the beach
  • Wishes from the beach
  • hula lessons in the lobby
  • taking the boat launch to/from the MK at least once
  • renting a sea raycer (you'll get a discount coupon in your travel documents if you've booked a package)
  • our DD9 likes to hang out in the arcade with DH (you will also get a coupon for this)
  • take time to enjoy the resort! There is nothing like relaxing in the pool with the castle off in the distance while listening to the boat horns & the train whistle from the MK
  • take in the torch lighting
  • rent a cabana if it's in your budget
  • campfire & movie on the beach

You can request a particular longhouse (although it's not guaranteed). Depending on your room category & needs different longhouses may appeal to you than others. You can also request a particular floor. All first floor rooms have a small patio area and all third floor rooms have a balcony, but most of the longhouses do not have a balcony on the second floor. If having outdoor space is important to you, you should consider making a request.

Happy planning!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #2816
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Wwyd????

Oh goodness, my wheels are turnin'!!! Would you pay these fees to add 2 nights to your trip??

AoA 12/11-12/13 (no MYW, no Dining, nada) - $236
MVMCP (12/11) - $245.83
Southwest (difference in airfare) $144
GRAND TOTAL: $625.83
(We could spend the first half of 12/11 moving to AoA & touring the resort. Then, we could go to MVMCP at 4pm, and tour the Christmas resorts all of 12/12.)

We are currently staying at the Poly from 12/4-12/11
To add 2 more nights to our deluxe dining package, it would cost $1140
+airfare difference of $144
GRAND TOTAL: $1284

I just can't justify $1300 for 2 more nights But I really don't think I can justify $626 for 2 more nights, b/c we'd be going FROM the Poly TO AoA. I checked out STARTING at AoA & then moving TO the Poly. But the airfare rates would cost about $140x 4 TICKETS, rather than $144 TOTAL.

What's a girl to do?????
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #2817
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Oh, I totally agree! I've been on the receiving end of the elitist dog-piling on more than one occasion! People have no idea how or why others can afford or choose to stay at the Poly (some probably very well-healed, others scrimp & save ...) but mention that you think the perks should only be for those who have actually paid for them & you are branded a rich, elitist snob!

A lot of these people don't understand the difference between actual entitlement and a false sense of entitlement. If you pay for a perk then you are actually entitled to it. If they don't pay for it (but feel they should have it because someone else does) then guess what...their sense of entitlement is false! Good luck trying to get them to see that though...

Quote:
Um, maybe I'm just someone who believes in the rules & being fair. I would never crash another resort's pool or try to sneak into a facility that was for a particular resort's guests only and I expect others to be respectful of the rules where I stay.
Well put!

We were going to WDW for quite a few years before we could afford to stay at the Poly and on those trips we would have never thought to try and use the perks for Poly guests for ourselves. It was just a simple matter of respecting WDW's rules. When we would have a breakfast ADR at Kona and wanted to go to MK for a few hours after, we would leave the Poly and go park in the MK lot like we were supposed to.

I guess I just don't understand this "I'm more important than the rules" attitude.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #2818
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by weHEARTmickey View Post
Oh goodness, my wheels are turnin'!!! Would you pay these fees to add 2 nights to your trip??

AoA 12/11-12/13 (no MYW, no Dining, nada) - $236
MVMCP (12/11) - $245.83
Southwest (difference in airfare) $144
GRAND TOTAL: $625.83
(We could spend the first half of 12/11 moving to AoA & touring the resort. Then, we could go to MVMCP at 4pm, and tour the Christmas resorts all of 12/12.)

We are currently staying at the Poly from 12/4-12/11
To add 2 more nights to our deluxe dining package, it would cost $1140
+airfare difference of $144
GRAND TOTAL: $1284

I just can't justify $1300 for 2 more nights But I really don't think I can justify $626 for 2 more nights, b/c we'd be going FROM the Poly TO AoA. I checked out STARTING at AoA & then moving TO the Poly. But the airfare rates would cost about $140x 4 TICKETS, rather than $144 TOTAL.

What's a girl to do?????
If it were me ... I'd downgrade from the deluxe dining to just regular dining for the entire time at the Poly - most people find that the deluxe dining plan is just too much food anyway.

Last edited by Cdn Friends of Pooh; 07-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #2819
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
32 days! I hope the hematologist clears Lily for the trip.
She will be at the Poly!!!! No worries sis
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #2820
weHEARTmickey
Dreamin' of Disney.......

Quote:
If it were me ... I'd downgrade from the deluxe dining to just regular dining for the entire time at the Poly - most people find that the deluxe dining plan is just too much food anyway.
Thanks for the idea, Bonny We are only doing 2 meals per day. Every night is a signature restaurant, so we will probably be eating the same amount (or less) on this trip than usual! We are so excited to try Brown Derby, Yachtsman, Artist Point, & Flying Fish for the first time. Not changing DxDDP for ANYTHING! I think we've just about talked ourselves out of changing anything. We could take a small trip for the cost of these upgrades.
Oct 6, 2012-Anniversary Cruise- 7 Nights on Magic with DH ..~.. Oct 27, 2012- 7 Nights on Disney Magic w/Kids & Granny
Dec 2012-8 days of Deluxe Dining at the Poly ..~.. Dec 2012- 6 Night Christmas surprise on Disney Magic
Jan 2013-1st trip to DISNEYLAND!! Disneyland Hotel ..~.. May 2013-8 days at Yacht Club/Grand Floridian/AKL/AoA!
Sept 2013-13 days Wilderness Club Level & AKL Club Level NOJ ..~.. Oct 2013 DCL HalloWONDER Cruise
June 2014: Last Minute Combo trip: Disney Dream + Coronado Springs Resort
UPCOMING Trips: WDW 2 weeks, Disneyland 1 week, AULANI 10 days
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: