Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #2791
DebbyLof428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieDisneyLover View Post
We're here!

Our flight was on-time and uneventful. Waited about 10 minutes for the Magical Express and arrived at the resort within 30 minutes. Rockland was our driver and he was a real winner ... had the bus laughing with lots of jokes and picture ops.

Greeted at the bus by club level and taken straight to Hawaii and our rooms were ready. Requests were met.

Sadly, Kathy -- one of our favorite cast members who works at the club desk is retiring today after many years. She's watched our children grow from little tots barely walking to teenagers today. We will surely miss her.

Went to the pool today and had to battle the 'table hoggers.' This one lady had 3 tables taken up with towels insisting her family was 'eating' and would be back at any moment. Luckly another family was leaving and gave us their table and said that she had those tables reserved for 3 hours straight and not a soul had used them. 2 hours later she finally removed the towels -- I think she saw me taking pictures with my iphone of the empty table every 20 minutes . hehehe

Looking forward to dinner at Tony's tonight.

Any questions? I'll try to keep you all updated and get some pics too.
Hope you have a wonderful time. Kathy is a sweet lady. Does this mean there's an opening at the Poly? Sign me up lol. We always deal with Barbie who we just love. Aloha
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #2792
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecorj View Post
Just back from a 6 night trip to the Poly! We were in Fiji, 3rd floor, marina side. Terrific view of GCH, Volcano Pool, marina.

Yes it rained but we still had a great trip. Temps were no more than mid-80's everyday, much much cooler than our trip at end of June/July in 2010 (mid-90s and sun), so that was nice.

Sunday was the biggest washout for us -- we got soaked in DTD in the morning, but had a very nice meal at Wolfgang Puck Express. Then we canceled our Fantasmic dinner reservation for that night because the rain just wasn't letting up and none of us wanted to sit in the rain and watch it. (Just FYI, they refunded my $40 credit card guarantee for Hollywood & Vine at the Poly front desk after a brief discussion).

We opened WS in EPCOT on Monday and it was awesome -- I have pics of just us in the park! One brief heavy downpour, we hid in Italy shops. Monday night we closed MK at midnight, a first for our family! It was a great night to be in the park, the crowds were very very low and we walked on almost everything. Go EARLY (park opening) or Go LATE (>Wishes) is best touring advice ever.

We got in some swim time at the pool on 3 of the days -- there was actually blue sky from time to time, haha! People were in the pool rain or shine everyday.

I had reserved a pool cabana on Friday afternoon, but thunder/lightning at 3pm closed the pool -- at least I got my money back. But the cabana would have been great! Would definitely book for a future trip.

Some Poly food thoughts:

+ 'Ohana breakfast food & service -- just as good as previous trips in '07, '08 and '10.
+ Kona - ditto (breakfast)
+ Cap'n. Cooks - menu needs a little shaking up, hasn't changed in years. Food was good, tho.

I thought the Poly looked great overall. Housekeeping was great, everyone was very friendly. Our room was in perfect condition. Lots of water on sidewalks near corner of Fiji/Tuvalu when we had heaviest rain -- they had to sweep/blow water off the next morning --a little drainage work needed here!

Lots of MK ride breakdowns while we were there: Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder all down for periods of time. I think Big Thunder closed on Monday night(?) for several hours at least.

Oh, and the only inconvenience the Obama speech at Contemporary on 6/22 caused was they held the monorail at one point when we were leaving MK ... we saw it was being held and jumped on a waiting boat back to the Poly. Love the transportation options to the Poly.

Tuesday night and Wednesday morning MK was getting very crowded with weather getting better....temps were also getting warmer on Wednesday a.m.

Already missing it and looking forward to next trip.
Thank you for the great little report!! Love it!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #2793
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY13 View Post
Does anyone know if the concierge menu that is posted on page one of this thread is still currently what they are serving?
Yes, that's pretty much accurate
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #2794
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

Well we are official! Poly booked, ADR's booked, and Fort Wilderness Archery Experience is also booked. I was surprised we were able to get everything we wanted this late in the game. It's just a short 4 night stay but I'm so excited!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #2795
mommys3
Disney Or Bust

Thinking about renting a boat from the marina (Montauk or Pontoon). Does anyone know if we can pay with a Disney gift card?

All-Star Music/Movies~8/03**Coronado Springs~10/04**Animal Kingdom Lodge~1/05**Pop Century~3/06**All-Star Sports~10/06**Pop Century~3/07**Wyndham Bonnet Creek~12/08*All-Star Movies/Polynesian~8/12**Port Orleans French Quarter~5/13**Pop Century/Polynesian~7/13**NEXT: Port Orleans Riverside/Grand Floridian~8/14
Old 06-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #2796
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

I am loving the mini reviews from people that just got back and from those still there. Keep them coming! It gets me so excited for my Nov stay!! Thanks guys!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #2797
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommys3 View Post
Thinking about renting a boat from the marina (Montauk or Pontoon). Does anyone know if we can pay with a Disney gift card?
I'm not sure if you can use a Disney Gift card or not.....sorry. But you could always charge the boat to your KTTW card and then apply the gift card to that.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #2798
mommys3
Disney Or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymom73 View Post
I'm not sure if you can use a Disney Gift card or not.....sorry. But you could always charge the boat to your KTTW card and then apply the gift card to that.
Thanks!

All-Star Music/Movies~8/03**Coronado Springs~10/04**Animal Kingdom Lodge~1/05**Pop Century~3/06**All-Star Sports~10/06**Pop Century~3/07**Wyndham Bonnet Creek~12/08*All-Star Movies/Polynesian~8/12**Port Orleans French Quarter~5/13**Pop Century/Polynesian~7/13**NEXT: Port Orleans Riverside/Grand Floridian~8/14
Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #2799
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is what we have done.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #2800
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well we are official! Poly booked, ADR's booked, and Fort Wilderness Archery Experience is also booked. I was surprised we were able to get everything we wanted this late in the game. It's just a short 4 night stay but I'm so excited!!!
Congratulations!! We have a thread called "Who will be at the Poly in August 2012" on the countdowns and live reports board, if you're interested in checking in. Maybe we'll see you there!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #2801
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Congratulations!! We have a thread called "Who will be at the Poly in August 2012" on the countdowns and live reports board, if you're interested in checking in. Maybe we'll see you there!
Thanks for the invite but we will be staying July 27-31. We just miss the August group. Hope you have a great trip!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #2802
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

70 days to go
Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #2803
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Wondering how the CM's at the Poly handled the fireworks viewing from the Poly Beach by non-guests...??
Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #2804
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Wondering how the CM's at the Poly handled the fireworks viewing from the Poly Beach by non-guests...??
Is there something to handle? Admittedly, we were there during MLK weekend, so WDW was not overly crowded, and on the chilly side (for Florida). But I didn't notice any big crowds on the beach. Is this a problem at other times? I'm curious to read the answers from those in the know.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2805
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Read on another page that they did not issue wristbands or restrict access to the beach for non-resort guests last night, and it was fairly crowded (Captain Cooks apparently had a 35-40 minute wait and the line went down the hall and around the corner )

Others reported that a CM came by and told them the beach was now open for fireworks and to go on out to enjoy the fireworks and were not stopped by anyone looking for wristbands.

Word is they may be more strict this evening but time will tell.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: