Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2116
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwee View Post
Ok, ok...I guess the bigger question here is "IS THERE A COUPLE OUT THERE THAT DOES ALL OF THE PLANNING TOGETHER???" They should be celebrated...

So, DVCZERFS, we have made it to the end of our tickers! I swear that if I see you this week, I will say hi and make sure that explain to your wife who I am so that she doesn't get on to you (as you requested...)

And remember, if you see a crazy lady chasing a 5 year old girl around GCH yelling "GET BACK HERE WITH MY DOLE WHIP!!!" while drinking from a pineapple ...that would be me...
if you see me, you better say hi!!!! my name is dave, david i answer to just about anything. my wife tammy already is aware of my dis friends not a prob. there are other people im meeting up with this trip and in september, ill be meeting up with three more. last october, i was sitting on a bus from okw to the mk. my phone went off, it was a text from another disdad. i had no clue what he looked like. he said, dave, are you on a bus? i think im sitting a few rows back from you. somehow, in the 43 square mile resort, we ended up on the same bus and he had seen a picture i posted of myself with another disdad.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #2117
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
if you see me, you better say hi!!!! my name is dave, david i answer to just about anything. my wife tammy already is aware of my dis friends not a prob. there are other people im meeting up with this trip and in september, ill be meeting up with three more. last october, i was sitting on a bus from okw to the mk. my phone went off, it was a text from another disdad. i had no clue what he looked like. he said, dave, are you on a bus? i think im sitting a few rows back from you. somehow, in the 43 square mile resort, we ended up on the same bus and he had seen a picture i posted of myself with another disdad.
How fun!!!
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #2118
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie772 View Post
How fun!!!
i have met about 14 people over that last few years from the dis. mostly dads and a few from another thread im on. alot of resort threads have dis meets. just people who talk to each other on the dis and just so happen to be at wdw at the same.
its funny, i talked to a guy on the disdads thread for about a year. we just so happen to be at wdw at the same time. you just meet the person and its like you have known each other your entire life.
i have met alot of great people from all over from here. if you ever get a chance to meet up just for a handshake and a hello, do it!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #2119
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Tikiman is reporting on his website today that Disney plans on closing in all of the pool areas and only allowing access to registered guests because of the abuse. I can't imagine the volcano pool enclosed. It will completely ruin the atmosphere/effect. Wouldn't consitently checking ID's and wristbanding be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier?! I will be so disappointed if this turns out to not just be a rumour.

He also says that they are going to install a hot tub at the end of the year (didn't specify which pool)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
Regarding the pool hopping... did anyone else read the Tikiman's new update? He is saying all Disney pools are going to be enclosed in the future and that the Volcano pool is getting a hot tub. Work may begin at the end of this year
Very interesting. While I would like them to have better control over who is utilizing the pool areas, I do not want them to interrupt the view either! Hopefully they come up with a viable solution that addresses both of those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Just back from a short stay at the Poly. Two nights prior to our cruise.
Very disappointed. Room was FILTHY. Called housekeeping. They apologized and came in and dusted and vacuumed.
Daybed had so much sand on it..it bounced when you brushed your hand across it. Thought at first I had sat in cookie crumbs or something. Opened blinds to notice that the wood frame on the couch hadn't been dusted in a LONG time, because we could literally write our initals in it..or rather.."clean me". Also the night stand and Ipod dock/radio equally as dusty. Really had us thinking about what else hasn't been cleaned in a while.
While apologetic about the room and they did clean it, later that night we found the sink didn't drain, and the bathroom door had the paint peeling off it, and the hinges were rusted!
Really? even with an AP discount the room was $400(when you add the taxes in) a night! Give me a break. My local Holiday Inn wouldn't keep a room like that, and they charge $139.
Mind you..I am a huge Poly fan. Have stayed there several times. Requested a specific building and room number. It wasn't available and they placed us down the hall. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal. We were wrong.
I might also add..I really don't care for the renovations to the quiet pool. We request Tokelau and particulary enjoy the proximity (and view) of the pool. With the renovation making it all of 3'9"...it is attracting A LOT more of the little tykes. I personally liked when it had a deep end that was roped off. You could really swim..not stand in the pool. Also kept the little kids out of that end of the pool. Volcano pool was like cannon ball city..so we opted for the quiet pool, and it wasn't much better. Maybe it has something to do with the pool hopping? I can't be sure. All I know is that I've read many reviews of the Poly that vary greatly. My experience up to now has always been positive. For quite some time, we wouldn't go near the place because it was dark..and mildew smelling. We deciced a few years back to give it another go, and were pleasantly surprised. It was then our resort of choice.
NOT..anymore. While the issues with housekeeping could be resolved with a phone call, and a re-cleaning of the room. The peeling paint, and rusted hinges, broken toilet seat and clogged drain...that's something entirely different. I'm sorry, but for that kind of money I don't think I should have to call housekeeping to have the re-clean the room. For the bucks they are getting for this resort, this simply shouldn't happen. There is something going on in this resort. It's as if they just don't care. They are charging five star rates..but it's NO WHERE near being a five star resort.
So sorry to hear of your bad experience. While I have never experienced a dirty room at the Poly, I have certainly seen the peeling paint but its never bothered me because with all the humidity, I understand why it happens. The rooms are used MUCH more than a Holiday Inn hotel too. I travel a ton and while I might find more 'pristine' rooms, I can't ever find the magic that the Poly offers. So those little things, like the peeling paint, just don't bug me. And as someone who stays at many Disney resorts, I can say these types of things happen at all the resorts.

Now at ALL hotels I stay at, I ALWAYS find something wrong with the room. I used to work at a high end hotel and do the room inspections. So having this background, I make it a point to tell the hotel everything I found with the room that they should check out. If it is impacting my stay, I tell them to address it while I am there but otherwise, I prefer if they wait until I leave so I don't have to deal with them coming in and out. But for every stay, I could tell you 10 things wrong with the room and 10 other things wrong with the hotel grounds/amenities. I'm not saying it is right, but they really do rely on guests for comments - both positive and negative.

None of this means that you did not have a good experience or should have with that type of room. I hope that you were compensated in whatever way you thought appropriate. Disney has compensated me for issues I have had - in different ways but always to my satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I am glad to hear that an awful, FILTHY, DISGUSTING room sounds like it is an anomoly at the Poly...I have switched out of the Poly sooooo many times during this reservation because of my fears. I keep telling myself (and DH keeps telling me) that we need to experience it for ourselves because I don't want my fear robbing us of what could be an amazing experience!
Yes, these things happen and can happen anywhere. Don't fool yourself into any resort, hotel, or vacation is going to be *perfect*. The best thing about Disney is you are armed with all sorts of feedback from the DIS. So be prepared for what to expect. If you really are afraid you will be disappointed, choose a resort you feel more comfortable with - or try a split stay. I can't tell you that you will love the Poly but I will say that there are many fans of the resort and that the resort offers many great things. We are fans for a reason! Good luck with your decision.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #2120
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwee View Post
Ok, ok...I guess the bigger question here is "IS THERE A COUPLE OUT THERE THAT DOES ALL OF THE PLANNING TOGETHER???" They should be celebrated...
Right here! We plan together and have done it that way since the very beginning--guess that's why we've been married for 30 years.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #2121
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thank you!! im just having fun. i dont know why im so happy?
Based on your 3 days until the Poly I think I know! (I still have 3 months to go until our trip).
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2122
NIkita
Earning My Ears

Question Cakes at Poly?

Good day! Have not been to Disney in a few years and will be heading to the Poly in June for my first stay there! VERY EXCITED! We will be celebrating my DS 10th birthday and my 20th anniversary. Can you order a cake at the Poly or do you have to order it somewhere else. like GF, and get it delivered!

Thanks!
Nikita
Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #2123
wishinuponastar
Mouseketeer

Ticker check and a little single digit dance... Woot Woot!

pa rty:

Please feel free to join me my fellow Dis friends...

Me DH DS DD
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #2124
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Very interesting. While I would like them to have better control over who is utilizing the pool areas, I do not want them to interrupt the view either! Hopefully they come up with a viable solution that addresses both of those issues.

So sorry to hear of your bad experience. While I have never experienced a dirty room at the Poly, I have certainly seen the peeling paint but its never bothered me because with all the humidity, I understand why it happens. The rooms are used MUCH more than a Holiday Inn hotel too. I travel a ton and while I might find more 'pristine' rooms, I can't ever find the magic that the Poly offers. So those little things, like the peeling paint, just don't bug me. And as someone who stays at many Disney resorts, I can say these types of things happen at all the resorts.

Now at ALL hotels I stay at, I ALWAYS find something wrong with the room. I used to work at a high end hotel and do the room inspections. So having this background, I make it a point to tell the hotel everything I found with the room that they should check out. If it is impacting my stay, I tell them to address it while I am there but otherwise, I prefer if they wait until I leave so I don't have to deal with them coming in and out. But for every stay, I could tell you 10 things wrong with the room and 10 other things wrong with the hotel grounds/amenities. I'm not saying it is right, but they really do rely on guests for comments - both positive and negative.

None of this means that you did not have a good experience or should have with that type of room. I hope that you were compensated in whatever way you thought appropriate. Disney has compensated me for issues I have had - in different ways but always to my satisfaction.

Yes, these things happen and can happen anywhere. Don't fool yourself into any resort, hotel, or vacation is going to be *perfect*. The best thing about Disney is you are armed with all sorts of feedback from the DIS. So be prepared for what to expect. If you really are afraid you will be disappointed, choose a resort you feel more comfortable with - or try a split stay. I can't tell you that you will love the Poly but I will say that there are many fans of the resort and that the resort offers many great things. We are fans for a reason! Good luck with your decision.
I'm definitely no fool and know nothing is perfect...I wouldn't be expecting such a disaster if that was the case.

I just expect as good as what I have experienced in my most recent 6 visits to Disney. If I get a clean room, in good working condition, I am a happy girl.

What was described earlier by auntie is quite the opposite of what I would expect.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #2125
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinuponastar View Post
Ticker check and a little single digit dance... Woot Woot!

pa rty:

Please feel free to join me my fellow Dis friends...
ill dance with you!!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #2126
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I'm definitely no fool and know nothing is perfect...I wouldn't be expecting such a disaster if that was the case.

I just expect as good as what I have experienced in my most recent 6 visits to Disney. If I get a clean room, in good working condition, I am a happy girl.

What was described earlier by auntie is quite the opposite of what I would expect.
as far as the rooms or villas go, i seem to look the other way. but im a man. as long as the tv, remote, frig and toilet works , im good.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #2127
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIkita View Post
Good day! Have not been to Disney in a few years and will be heading to the Poly in June for my first stay there! VERY EXCITED! We will be celebrating my DS 10th birthday and my 20th anniversary. Can you order a cake at the Poly or do you have to order it somewhere else. like GF, and get it delivered!

Thanks!
Nikita
You can get a cake delivered to the poly from the Disney world website. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/cel...ustomizations/

Or uf you are staying club level you can call the IPO and make arrangements.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #2128
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney

wishuponastar, we arrive on Thursday, the day after you. If you see us around the Poly with a lime green mickey head, stop and say hi.
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #2129
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
as far as the rooms or villas go, i seem to look the other way. but im a man. as long as the tv, remote, frig and toilet works , im good.
That's pretty much my DH attitude...but then again, he knows he has me, and if I'm not happy, I tend to make it known.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2130
wiserabbit
Addicted to Pixe Dust

We just got back from what was for the most part a great stay at the Poly - our first in about 15 years - we did get "tagged" one day around the pool area and my DH noted that on two days there were construction types taking survey measurements between the pool area and GCH.....maybe for pool rehab - or we thought maybe preliminary for GCH renovation....either way something is up

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: