Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #2056
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
While the pool hoppers happen, we need to remember that DVC folks have the right to "pool hop". They may have been staying off-site and/or at a value, but could also be DVC owners. Many DVC folks (and I am not one) choose to stay at a lesser costly location for portions of their trip to conserve points.

I don't want to start a debate because we have all experienced the overcrowding of the Polynesian pool simply because it is located in close proximity to MK. Frankly, the volcano pool was never a huge draw for our family--our kids actually preferred the quiet pool even when they were young. Despite that preference, it is a royal pain to not be able to locate seating when you choose to locate at the volcano pool.

I love those "chemical imbalances". . . I can't tell you how many times the volcano pool was closed over the years due to inconsiderate folks who refuse to properly attire their "potty trained" little ones.
I'm a DVC member so I know about pool hopping & you're "supposed" to be staying on points to pool hop. I have no problem with those that can. But there should be no problem showing resort ID & our blue member cards..

As for the "imbalance", yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it is

It is pretty empty around here now & the pool being closed has deterred some pool hoppers as we've seen some come & go just as quickly. Obviously in January it isn't an issue. 90 degrees in May it is.

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #2057
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
I'm sorry, but in this instance, I think would become a tattle tale! I have a hard time with rule breakers, and if I am paying the money to stay at the POLY, I want to play without outsiders/ transients taking up all the space! that's just me though....I'd have to speak up!
I just don't want to get into a fight while I'm on vacation, but I hear you!!! The worst part was when they stripped their kids naked to change them before and after swimming (and I'm not talking about toddlers here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
While the pool hoppers happen, we need to remember that DVC folks have the right to "pool hop". They may have been staying off-site and/or at a value, but could also be DVC owners. Many DVC folks (and I am not one) choose to stay at a lesser costly location for portions of their trip to conserve points.
I thought they can only pool hop when staying DVC on points (I keep reading that here on the boards, but I'm not the expert). I agree that it's pointless to debate it here, and not knowing how else to change things, for now I'm voting with my $$$. But we will miss the convenience and views of the Poly.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #2058
jlcd
DIS Veteran

We were just there the week of April 15th and were asked to show our room key on a couple days at the pool and issued wrist bands. We were always able to find a seat in the afternoon and I think this made a big difference. I wish they would do it all the time
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #2059
cheer34
Earning My Ears

Re: Pool hopping. I just don't understand why people think its okay. I don't order a salad at a restaurant then go walk up to someone else's table and eat their lobster!

And they arrived in droves...my husband and I said that you could totally spot them. They arrived laden down with bags, snacks, changes of clothing.

One family clearly had just eaten dinner at Ohana, and when they noticed how nice the pool was, decided to let their daughter swim in it...IN HER CLOTHES.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #2060
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
I just don't want to get into a fight while I'm on vacation, but I hear you!!! The worst part was when they stripped their kids naked to change them before and after swimming (and I'm not talking about toddlers here!)

I thought they can only pool hop when staying DVC on points (I keep reading that here on the boards, but I'm not the expert). I agree that it's pointless to debate it here, and not knowing how else to change things, for now I'm voting with my $$$. But we will miss the convenience and views of the Poly.
Hi mmmears! I agree....fight and vacation don't mix, I'd probably mention it on the sly to a lifeguard or CM....only if I heard them blatantly bragging about swimming in the pool and staying elsewhere....I just hope its not overly crowded in Oct

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #2061
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcd View Post
We were just there the week of April 15th and were asked to show our room key on a couple days at the pool and issued wrist bands. We were always able to find a seat in the afternoon and I think this made a big difference. I wish they would do it all the time
That's great! Hopefully they will get some feedback and enforce it more often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer34 View Post
Re: Pool hopping. I just don't understand why people think its okay. I don't order a salad at a restaurant then go walk up to someone else's table and eat their lobster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Hi mmmears! I agree....fight and vacation don't mix, I'd probably mention it on the sly to a lifeguard or CM....only if I heard them blatantly bragging about swimming in the pool and staying elsewhere....I just hope its not overly crowded in Oct
Hi! When we were there, we couldn't see anyone enforcing it. In fact, we did quietly speak to the lifeguards about people smoking in the pool area (no where near the smoking section) and they seemed reluctant to deal with that issue. Don't know what they would have done if we had talked to them about the pool hoppers. IMO the wristbands are the way to go!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #2062
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree on the pool "room check" thing. We are staying at the YC this time and a good part of the reason is that they strictly check room IDs before letting people even sit around SAB. I love the Poly, especially the volcano pool area with the beach, lake, and castle views, but I am tired of fighting for a place to sit with people who obviously (we could hear them talk about it) weren't staying at the Poly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
I'm at the Poly now. Last night before going home Pool is closed right now for "chemical imbalance"... Anywho, perfect time for pictures & as I was walking around I heard about 6 families talking about how they were going to go back to their hotel. Mostly values & even off site! They really need to start carding people as this pool was super busy today!! Even heard a couple families say they would go over to Cont to swim since this one is closed!

It would really help with the capacity if they started requiring the showing of IDs.

Other than this, having a great time!
I have reported people in the pool that don't belong. With results. Y'all are right! They come with bags, snacks, and change of clothes. I really think they come mostly in the afternoon to swim then watch our movie on the beach and wishes. Hmmm... That sounds like a great plan! I could stay in a value hang around a deluxe resort and let everyone else pay for it!

It really bothers me that this is allowed to happen!

Most DVC members are respectful and aren't coming to the pool with snacks and a change of clothes! So come on DVC visit us and let us in on the "best kept secret" at Disney!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #2063
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's great! Hopefully they will get some feedback and enforce it more often!

Hi! When we were there, we couldn't see anyone enforcing it. In fact, we did quietly speak to the lifeguards about people smoking in the pool area (no where near the smoking section) and they seemed reluctant to deal with that issue. Don't know what they would have done if we had talked to them about the pool hoppers. IMO the wristbands are the way to go!
Hey we can join forces! We are arriving same day! Hmmm I wonder if I can get there before you! we are arriving at 2p!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #2064
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

69 days until our 1st Poly stay!!!.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #2065
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
69 days until our 1st Poly stay!!!.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #2066
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

Just made our ADR's...180 days and counting

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #2067
kimberwee
Mouseketeer

DD's bday party was a huge success! She got a ton of Disney GC!!!

Now, we will just have to make it through 2 more days of work to surprise her with the trip!!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #2068
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
Hey we can join forces! We are arriving same day! Hmmm I wonder if I can get there before you! we are arriving at 2p!
Have you hired that swanky ride again Carl?

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #2069
Pluto1976
Mouseketeer

For anyone that has been recently, did you hear allot of noise at the Poly from the construction on the GF DVC? Specifically, around the pool and beach areas?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #2070
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwee View Post
DD's bday party was a huge success! She got a ton of Disney GC!!!

Now, we will just have to make it through 2 more days of work to surprise her with the trip!!

So exciting!! We are surprising our DD too, can't wait to hear how it goes!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: