Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #2011
Britnole
Earning My Ears

Hi, this is my first time posting but I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I am planning a trip with my DH and 4-year-old DD in January 2013 and have decided on the Poly, thanks to the great reviews I've read here. I've been to WDW several times (I was there this week) but never stayed at the Poly. We stayed at the Contemporary in 1975 and I still remember taking the monorail over to the Poly to shop and eat and thinking how relaxing it was there. I can't wait for our trip next year.

As I said, I was at WDW earlier this week for a conference. We stayed at the Yacht Club and while that hotel was very nice, it was just too big for my liking. The walk back to our rooms at the end of a long day was tiring and not as pleasant as I imagine the Poly walk would be. Also, I would not recommend staying at a conference hotel if I were going with my family. We crowded the lobby at times and there were many of us (not me!) who came back to the hotel well after midnight with a little too much to drink.

We went to AK on Monday and decided to take a quick visit to MK. We took the bus to the TTC with plans to take the monorail. As noted here, the monorail was down for service so we took the ferry. I loved the ferry, especially because it was the perfect way for me to get some photos of the Poly and examine it from afar. We didn't get the chance to walk around the Poly but seeing it from the water and realizing how close it is to everything solidified my choice to stay there next time. Also, even though it was a warm day there was not a single person on the beach by Tahiti and the Volcano pool and main beach looked quiet too. It looked so peaceful and relaxing - very different from the Yacht Club.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #2012
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnole View Post
Hi, this is my first time posting but I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I am planning a trip with my DH and 4-year-old DD in January 2013 and have decided on the Poly, thanks to the great reviews I've read here. I've been to WDW several times (I was there this week) but never stayed at the Poly. We stayed at the Contemporary in 1975 and I still remember taking the monorail over to the Poly to shop and eat and thinking how relaxing it was there. I can't wait for our trip next year.

As I said, I was at WDW earlier this week for a conference. We stayed at the Yacht Club and while that hotel was very nice, it was just too big for my liking. The walk back to our rooms at the end of a long day was tiring and not as pleasant as I imagine the Poly walk would be. Also, I would not recommend staying at a conference hotel if I were going with my family. We crowded the lobby at times and there were many of us (not me!) who came back to the hotel well after midnight with a little too much to drink.

We went to AK on Monday and decided to take a quick visit to MK. We took the bus to the TTC with plans to take the monorail. As noted here, the monorail was down for service so we took the ferry. I loved the ferry, especially because it was the perfect way for me to get some photos of the Poly and examine it from afar. We didn't get the chance to walk around the Poly but seeing it from the water and realizing how close it is to everything solidified my choice to stay there next time. Also, even though it was a warm day there was not a single person on the beach by Tahiti and the Volcano pool and main beach looked quiet too. It looked so peaceful and relaxing - very different from the Yacht Club.
We just got back from a week long stay at the Poly and my whole family agreed that staying there was one of the nicest things about the whole vacation. As you said it's so peaceful and relaxing to come back from the hustle and bustle of the parks. The staff are all so friendly and my wife and mother thought the shopping was better there than they had seen elsewhere. All in all we're totally spoilt now and although I don't know when we'll be back to WDW I now can't imagine staying anywhere but the Poly!

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #2013
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnole View Post

Welcome Britnole! Prepare to become an addict! People either hate the Poly or love it. If you fall into the latter category you will never want to stay any where else on site again!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #2014
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Hello Everyone! I'm new to this particular thread. We've always stayed at a value resort or Shades of Green (when with my parents), but are looking to stay at the Poly October 2013 - it's never too early to plan you know! I have a question for you Ploy Gods and Goddesses......which longhouse would be the best: Rarotonga or Tokelau? We'd like to be semi close to the GCH, but DH is concerned about views. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Heather

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #2015
Mrs K
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Hello Everyone! I'm new to this particular thread. We've always stayed at a value resort or Shades of Green (when with my parents), but are looking to stay at the Poly October 2013 - it's never too early to plan you know! I have a question for you Ploy Gods and Goddesses......which longhouse would be the best: Rarotonga or Tokelau? We'd like to be semi close to the GCH, but DH is concerned about views. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Heather
Of the two, I like Tokelau. We also like Samoa. The Poly is beautiful and everyone has their favorite longhouse.

Dixilandings 1994
Poly 1997,'98,'99,'01,'02,'03,'04,'06,'07,'09
Grand Floridian July 2011, Back to the Poly June 2013, Trying the Beach Club March 2014
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #2016
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

I have another question for all your Poly Goddesses.....I just checked out Tiki Man's website and back in October 2011 he posted that there are major changes supposedly coming to the Poly in 2013 - with the most rumored to be DVC. Have any of you heard anything about this? We're looking to book here in October of 2013, but I really don't want to go here if there's going to be major construction happening.

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #2017
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Everyday of May, it has rained where we are!!!! How about some gorgeous Poly pics to warm me up!!!!

71 days until my 1st Poly stay!!! I cannot wait until our 10 glorious nights!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 05-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #2018
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!!

-Heather
The "best" longhouse is very subjective. Everyone has different ideas of a great view. For our family, the ONLY room that would be a downer is a room where we overlooked a parking lot. So I would not want the parking lot side of Rapa Nui. We have stayed in both Tokelau and Aotearoa and loved them both for different reasons Tikiman's site definitely gives great descriptions of each longhouse's attributes.

Quote:
I have another question for all your Poly Goddesses.....I just checked out Tiki Man's website and back in October 2011 he posted that there are major changes supposedly coming to the Poly in 2013 - with the most rumored to be DVC. Have any of you heard anything about this? We're looking to book here in October of 2013, but I really don't want to go here if there's going to be major construction happening.
This is a frequent topic on this thread. If you go back about 10 pages or so you will see a discussion. It is all just "guessture" at this point and nothing more. There are many rumors but nothing concrete. The best guess is that WHATEVER might happen, will not start until the GFV construction is complete. R/E Oct 2013 planning, just make sure you have a 2nd and 3rd choice resort researched so that you can make a quick decision should anything become concrete. Being a member of this community already gives you a leg up on all those unknowing/unsuspecting tourists

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #2019
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Nofree dining, but we got a great code - 30% off the room rate (which works out as a better deal than FD). Yes, we love WDW in October. The weather is beautiful and MK is all decorated for fall/Halloween.
I agree - I love WDW in October - still warm but not horribly hot and I LOVE LOVE LOVE MNSSHP!!!

Quote:

Thanks!!

-Heather
I am biased and I always stay in Tokelau - central location, not a bad 'garden view', one sink in the bathroom (I'm one of the folks that don't want 2 sinks to crowd up my counter space), a tad bit larger rooms, and all rooms have a patio or balcony.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #2020
DisMom72
Mouseketeer

Hello All! Getting ready for our first ever Poly stay We check in in 33 days......but who's counting We will be there right around Father's Day. I was concidering renting a cabana as a suprise for my husband (Tinkerbellie16 thanks for the amazing photo's and cabana scoop ). Does anyone know the cancellation policy for the cabana's?? I know there is a lot of rain in June, just wondering what happens if it rains Thanks so much for your help and thanks so much for all of the awesome information on this thread! It has definitely made the planning process soooo much easier
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #2021
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom72 View Post
Hello All! Getting ready for our first ever Poly stay We check in in 33 days......but who's counting We will be there right around Father's Day. I was concidering renting a cabana as a suprise for my husband (Tinkerbellie16 thanks for the amazing photo's and cabana scoop ). Does anyone know the cancellation policy for the cabana's?? I know there is a lot of rain in June, just wondering what happens if it rains Thanks so much for your help and thanks so much for all of the awesome information on this thread! It has definitely made the planning process soooo much easier
Hey DisMom72...Stewartstown??? Too funny - I live in Dallastown!!

Enjoy your trip and I'd love to see some pictures when you get back!!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #2022
cheer34
Earning My Ears

Just returned from a Poly stay

Loved, loved, LOVED the Polynesian. It was our first trip to Disney and while we don't really have anything to compare to, I can't fathom how any other resort could be better. The pool, the location, the monorail, the tropical feel. It was so great to come back from the park and relax at the Polynesian.

One thing, the pool got quite crowded at some points and the lifeguards went around to those sitting at the few tables around the pool and asked everyone for room keys. MOST people got up and left. I heard one woman declare that she had no idea that other hotel's guests couldn't use the pool. Really???

We stayed Club level, and with two picky kids, it was well worth the money. Plus mousekeeping left some stellar towel animals.

I'll post some pics on the next post. We cannot WAIT to go back!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #2023
cheer34
Earning My Ears

Pics

Sorry...apparently I need 10 posts in order to post links. I only have 5.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #2024
cheer34
Earning My Ears

Polynesian

So with that post I am up to 6.

And now I am going to do another so that I'll only have 3 more to go!

Can they bottle the smell in the Great Ceremonial House? I loved the way it smells in there.

And the Dole Whip. YUM. And on a whim one night, we were hungry and got the pulled pork nachos from Capt Cooks. Thought it sounded bizarre, but figured what the heck and they were SOOOO good.

I wish I was back on the beach having a pina-colava right now.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #2025
cheer34
Earning My Ears

Sorry..has to be done....Post 8
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: