Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #1801
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
Just returned from our first stay at the Poly ~ and I have to say, for those on the fence about "is it worth it"...IMO, it is worth every penny!! I was so worried that I would be disappointed ~ this trip was quite a bit more than our previous trips and we really had to budget in several areas, but I am so glad we stayed at the Poly. We had a wonderful room in Tokelau, first floor, on the corner with an amazing beach view. I loved going out on the patio and seeing baby ducks and rabbits! How fun is that?! The room was so spacious and didn't feel dark at all; and it was nice and clean!
So Stevie - after staying in so many different resorts in Disney World, which would you say was the best and which one will you be booking next time? We plan on going back to DW with my husband and both of our kids, and this time around it would be ME footing the bill, so I don't have $10,000 for a vacation, so we are looking for suggestions. I have heard I can buy point for BLT, so we MAY do that just for the views and convenience of the monorails, but I am also curious about the other resorts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
We went to dinner with friends of ours this weekend. They came to the Poly with us in Sept 2010. It was their first and only visit to WDW. They have been on a couple vacations since to other places and they were comparing it to WDW. They want to go back and of course, stay at the Poly DH said no problem and that I would plan everything (uh, thanks honey). But that's ok, DH said WE COULD GO AGAIN!!! So they loved the time of year we went (late Sept) and they are going to tell me if they want to go this year or next. But I get to plan a Poly vacation!

I'm excited for my trips this year (solo at CBR for a work conference next month, CSR with lots of family in July with a post-vacation-vacation with just DH and the kids at BWV) but none of them are at the Poly. I've been trying to figure when I can get back and how to convince DH. Well, thank you friends for convincing him for me

Don't get me wrong, DH loves the Poly but he does say things like 'Disneyworld AGAIN???' You know the type
Oh I am SOOOO jealous! I wish we could afford to go to Disney that much! It is such a happy place to vacation at. I don't know what people complain about to be honest, we didn't witness many crying kids or freaking out parents. Only twice. And once I ALMOST said something to the mom. She was CRAZY mean to her boy. Grabbing him and shaking him, poking him with his finger. It was bad.

Anyways - I ran off topic there, but I am SERIOUSLY jealous that you get to go that often. I would love to go one day again in the future alone with my daughter. Maybe when she graduates from high school or something. (In like 8 years) and again with my husband, son and daughter. How many reasons can one person go to Disney World for???
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #1802
auprincess
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=204charity;44672752]So Stevie - after staying in so many different resorts in Disney World, which would you say was the best and which one will you be booking next time? We plan on going back to DW with my husband and both of our kids, and this time around it would be ME footing the bill, so I don't have $10,000 for a vacation, so we are looking for suggestions. I have heard I can buy point for BLT, so we MAY do that just for the views and convenience of the monorails, but I am also curious about the other resorts too.

QUOTE]

That is a tough question!! I loved WL, but it is out since we will not fit in a regular room the next time we go and DH thought the rooms were too small. I would return to Poly in a heartbeat ~ asked DH about it and while he loved it, his response was why we would stay somewhere we have already stayed So, no clue where we will stay next!!!

The Poly had so many great perks (monorail being number 1 for me since we have 3 young kids = double stroller), but the values we stayed at were nice, too!
April 2012 Polynesion
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #1803
204charity
DIS Veteran

That is a tough question!! I loved WL, but it is out since we will not fit in a regular room the next time we go and DH thought the rooms were too small. I would return to Poly in a heartbeat ~ asked DH about it and while he loved it, his response was why we would stay somewhere we have already stayed So, no clue where we will stay next!!!

The Poly had so many great perks (monorail being number 1 for me since we have 3 young kids = double stroller), but the values we stayed at were nice, too![/QUOTE]

Wow! So sounds like your DH likes to try a new resort every time hey? Maybe he will want to rent points and do a suite at BLT next time? Or AOA? I think both would be a good choice for you since you have 3 kids.

Of the values you stayed at, which did you prefer and why?
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #1804
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
So Stevie - after staying in so many different resorts in Disney World, which would you say was the best and which one will you be booking next time? We plan on going back to DW with my husband and both of our kids, and this time around it would be ME footing the bill, so I don't have $10,000 for a vacation, so we are looking for suggestions. I have heard I can buy point for BLT, so we MAY do that just for the views and convenience of the monorails, but I am also curious about the other resorts too.

Oh I am SOOOO jealous! I wish we could afford to go to Disney that much! It is such a happy place to vacation at. I don't know what people complain about to be honest, we didn't witness many crying kids or freaking out parents. Only twice. And once I ALMOST said something to the mom. She was CRAZY mean to her boy. Grabbing him and shaking him, poking him with his finger. It was bad.

Anyways - I ran off topic there, but I am SERIOUSLY jealous that you get to go that often. I would love to go one day again in the future alone with my daughter. Maybe when she graduates from high school or something. (In like 8 years) and again with my husband, son and daughter. How many reasons can one person go to Disney World for???
I started going every year in 2006 when I felt our kids were old enough (almost 3 and 4). I saved for that vacation and then we ended up being able to pay for it with our normal monthly bills. Ever since then, that money has stayed in the bank for another Disney vacation but we keep paying for it out of our monthly bills

As for going a few times this year - it's actually only 2 trips. Next month - work is paying In July, I'm rooming with other family members and my mom is helping all the grandkids (like my kids) with their costs. So it really cut down the costs. Then me and my kids will go to BWV and meet my DH there for a long weekend just the 4 of us. We did get the Southwest credit cards ($69 annual fee for 50k in points for each of us) and that has paid for 8 roundtrip tickets SO FAR!!

And I think any reason to go to WDW is a good one

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +

Last edited by Tinkerbellie16; 04-23-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #1805
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post

The Poly had so many great perks (monorail being number 1 for me since we have 3 young kids = double stroller), but the values we stayed at were nice, too!
Wow! So sounds like your DH likes to try a new resort every time hey? Maybe he will want to rent points and do a suite at BLT next time? Or AOA? I think both would be a good choice for you since you have 3 kids.

Of the values you stayed at, which did you prefer and why?[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...that is a hard choice; they are really similar except the theming. I guess I liked Pop better though!
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #1806
AlohaLily
Mouseketeer

4 days now! Just received our letter in the mail stating that the monorail will be closed part of the time during our stay (mid-morning to afternoon I assume).
Apr 2000 - All Star Music . . . Apr 2001 - Caribbean Beach . . . Apr/May 2003 - Wilderness Lodge . . . Apr/May 2004 - Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge . . . December 2004 - Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian . . . May 2006 - Polynesian . . . December 2006 - All Star Sports . . . Apr/May 2007 - Polynesian . . . December 2008 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2010 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2011 - Polynesian . . . December 2011 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2012 - Polynesian
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #1807
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Why does Tikiman keep teasing us? He posted on his Facebook page about big changes coming to his site and the Poly later this year. You are killing me, Steve!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #1808
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristocath View Post
Why does Tikiman keep teasing us? He posted on his Facebook page about big changes coming to his site and the Poly later this year. You are killing me, Steve!
It's actually getting kind of annoying. If he isn't going to add details what's the point of posting these "teasers" other than getting attention?

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1809
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
It's actually getting kind of annoying. If he isn't going to add details what's the point of posting these "teasers" other than getting attention?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #1810
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's getting very annoying. If he's waiting for Disney to announce something, fine. But don't tease us about it. I can't take it!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1811
HiHoOffWeGo
Mouseketeer

Are the rumors true?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #1812
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoOffWeGo View Post
Are the rumors true?
Since he won't tell us what the rumour is, who knows?!

1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #1813
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

Quote:

He has to be careful on what he says because he reports something too early or gives out info he shouldn't, then his sources won't speak to him anymore. I have met Steve personally and he has a lot of friends who are in the know. That includes people who work at the resort.

Back in 2007 there was a big gathering/fest at the Polynesian with a lot of Dis'ers, Disney bloggers, and fans of the Polynesian. I met a lot of people there on that trip, including an imagineer, so I trust Steve's sources.

I have a feeling you will be hearing some resort news by the beginning of next year.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #1814
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
He has to be careful on what he says because he reports something too early or gives out info he shouldn't, then his sources won't speak to him anymore. I have met Steve personally and he has a lot of friends who are in the know. That includes people who work at the resort.

Back in 2007 there was a big gathering/fest at the Polynesian with a lot of Dis'ers, Disney bloggers, and fans of the Polynesian. I met a lot of people there on that trip, including an imagineer, so I trust Steve's sources.

I have a feeling you will be hearing some resort news by the beginning of next year.
But the point is if you can't say anything (to protect your sources or whatever) then why even post anything? Why say "I've got big news, but I can't tell you!" What's the point?

I'm not sure how reliable those sources are any more anyways. Last fall he said there was going to be a big celebration at the Poly for the 40th and a big announcement and there was nothing (I know because we were there - Any of the cast members we asked about it looked at us like we were crazy) More recently he posted a bunch of Easter activities that were supposed to be going on at the resort. It turned out they were happening at the GF. I'm not knocking Steve. He's a great Poly resource, but it seems more often lately his sources aren't as reliable with their information.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #1815
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

Quote:
But the point is if you can't say anything (to protect your sources or whatever) then why even post anything? Why say "I've got big news, but I can't tell you!" What's the point?

I'm not sure how reliable those sources are any more anyways. Last fall he said there was going to be a big celebration at the Poly for the 40th and a big announcement and there was nothing (I know because we were there - Any of the cast members we asked about it looked at us like we were crazy) More recently he posted a bunch of Easter activities that were supposed to be going on at the resort. It turned out they were happening at the GF. I'm not knocking Steve. He's a great Poly resource, but it seems more often lately his sources aren't as reliable with their information.

I see what you're saying and of course he's not the sole authority on news about the Polynesian and has been wrong in he past. You can bet on this though and take it to the bank. DVC is coming to the Poly and its just too big of a cash cow for Disney not to take advantage of. I have a strong feeling once the DVC wing is done wrapping up at the GF, you will hear the announcement. I can't see Disney having two of their deluxe resorts on the monorail line torn up at the same time.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: