Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #1696
carlnix30
DIS Veteran
 
carlnix30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer34 View Post
Hi all...been lurking on the boards for a while and since there seem to be lots of Poly experts here, I was wondering if I could ask for opinions.

We are headed to the Poly on April 28th for a week, for our family's first trip to Disney. We have two children...ages 3 and 7. This board has been very, very helpful while planning our trip!

We are staying garden view club level, which I suppose is the Hawaii building. I was considering making a room request for either a 1st or 3rd floor room. I would be upset if we got 2nd floor, as there would be nowhere to escape to when my 3 year old naps or goes to sleep. I like the thought of being able to sit on a balcony or patio to read or sit and chat with my husband while she naps.

Any thoughts on balcony versus patio?

Looking forward to our first trip...thanks for any advice!!!
Yes that would definatley be Hawaii building unless pixie dust flies and you get a suite
I prefer balcony due to security reasons. We stayed on the first floor and I worried about the lock on the patio door. Also I like my curtains open during the day and the foot traffic by my window bothers me.
Lots of people prefer patio due to the freedom of an extra exit out of the room and the convienance of have a huge grassy area in front of the patio. With little ones that is a plus. You can sit on your patio and watch em burn off all that extra energy (that you wish you could steal. )

CHARITY eh at least I tried to get more pics! Just have o wait until your return!
__________________

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #1697
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,817

WOW! So much going on here since I have been on. Geeze, miss a few days and look what happens? Adorable boy clothes, poop in the pool, a COMPLETE LACK of pics from folks who may or may not be at the Poly.....we don't really know cuz there are no pics..... (jk)

Chiming in on the patio vs balcony. We are balcony folks. I totally get why some folks like a patio while little ones are sleeping for easy exit to acquire some adult libations and fun snacks.....BUT.....I have a "thing" about hearing people walking above me that makes me a little uneasy(weird, I know). Also like Carl, it is a security thing. I feel like people are looking in my room to steal stuff(even though most could care less what crap we have in our room) and if on the first floor we always keep at least the sheers closed. Also think we get less chance of critters showing up on the third floor and it is much more fun to people watch from up there cuz people don't usually look up to see me spying.... (just a fun past-time and not full-on Gladys Kravitz)

Enjoying the live reports......
__________________
AMANDA

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1698
AlohaLily
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174

Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!
__________________
Apr 2000 - All Star Music . . . Apr 2001 - Caribbean Beach . . . Apr/May 2003 - Wilderness Lodge . . . Apr/May 2004 - Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge . . . December 2004 - Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian . . . May 2006 - Polynesian . . . December 2006 - All Star Sports . . . Apr/May 2007 - Polynesian . . . December 2008 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2010 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2011 - Polynesian . . . December 2011 - Polynesian . . . Apr/May 2012 - Polynesian
AlohaLily is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #1699
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,443

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
It actually ended up being LILO & Stich instead!!! How awesomely perfect is that!?!? Marshmallows, bonfire and a movie on the beach....bliss.
OMG - that would be so great! They didn't play Lilo & Stitch at all while we were there in October. I think it should have a weekly spot in their movie rotation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLily View Post
Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!
I think I read a while ago that they have replace the pumped in fake smell with a new fake smell
__________________

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #1700
HiHoOffWeGo
Mouseketeer
 
HiHoOffWeGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Illinois
Posts: 395

Carl - yes it is fast and great. Also, if you don't mind, could you put a few of your favorite pictures up cause we all miss that from you and no one there is going to treat us?
__________________
It's off to work we go!
HiHoOffWeGo is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1701
chimo2u
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I prefer a balcony over a patio because I'm not fond of first floor rooms. I don't like having people above me in case they're loud. It hasn't been a problem in the past but I'm not willing to chance it. Also, it's easier for wildlife to enter your room on the first floor. I'm not fond of sharing my room with uninvited "guests" if you catch my drift lol
Ok, off to change my request! Thanks Dani!!!!! from first or third floor to THIRD floor room!!!!
__________________
Thanks Kook


Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #1702
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Ok, off to change my request! Thanks Dani!!!!! from first or third floor to THIRD floor room!!!!
We had a ground floor, no major creatures except for a lone very large unmoving brown palmetto bug? Not sure if that is what is was, but I scooped it up and got rid of it quickly before the girls saw it and lost their marbles!!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #1703
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!
 
Carrie772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer34 View Post
Hi all...been lurking on the boards for a while and since there seem to be lots of Poly experts here, I was wondering if I could ask for opinions.

We are headed to the Poly on April 28th for a week, for our family's first trip to Disney. We have two children...ages 3 and 7. This board has been very, very helpful while planning our trip!

We are staying garden view club level, which I suppose is the Hawaii building. I was considering making a room request for either a 1st or 3rd floor room. I would be upset if we got 2nd floor, as there would be nowhere to escape to when my 3 year old naps or goes to sleep. I like the thought of being able to sit on a balcony or patio to read or sit and chat with my husband while she naps.

Any thoughts on balcony versus patio?

Looking forward to our first trip...thanks for any advice!!!
Welcome to Un-Lurkdom! Hope you are enjoying your time on the Dis. I prefer balcony, but I see that you already got lots of responses. I never want a 2nd floor room, so my preference is 1st or 3rd. I feel like more people want 3rd so I ask for 1st, trying to increase my chances. Does it work? No idea. Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLily View Post
Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!
Is there a fake smell? I thought it was that smell of chlorinated water in the waterfall.
__________________
Me: DH: DS17: DD14: DS11:
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC; '14 AOA! Did I really plan 2 in '14?!
Carrie772 is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #1704
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!
 
Carrie772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,565

Sorry!
__________________
Me: DH: DS17: DD14: DS11:
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC; '14 AOA! Did I really plan 2 in '14?!
Carrie772 is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #1705
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 836

Seems like I'm in the minority here but our kids wouldn't want anything but a patio room. They like to go out on the grass to see the ducks.
Stitch'sCousin is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #1706
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran
 
TinkPirateMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeron View Post
Whoohoo! I heading to gymboree this weekend to use my gymbucks!
And we head to the Poly next week
Perfect timing!



[/QUOTE]It actually ended up being LILO & Stich instead!!! How awesomely perfect is that!?!? Marshmallows, bonfire and a movie on the beach....bliss.

oh Carl, I wish I cold upload pics for proof, but you'll just have to believe me for now. I don't have any wa to upload pics from my camera while here unfortunately.



Never thought of getting an adult beverage for the movie, that's a great idea though. Maybe next time. We've been bugging my mom about the gators and snakes since we go here....lol....hey, there's some loud people down on the ground floor level smoking on their patio....do you think it's Dave? Lol NEVER! JK Dave, I know it's not you......at least, I HOPE it's not you guys. Hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahaha [/QUOTE]

Oh, that does sound perfect! I would love to watch Lilo and Stitch on Poly's beach. I'm glad you are having a wonderful trip.
__________________
Me DH DD16 DS4

TinkPirateMom is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #1707
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamin247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Ok, off to change my request! Thanks Dani!!!!! from first or third floor to THIRD floor room!!!!
Glad I can be of service. Anytime they find a snake or the like it's a ground floor room. I'm not willing to take that chance!
__________________
Dani DS DD
disneydreamin247 is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #1708
204charity
DIS Veteran
 
204charity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
Yes that would definatley be Hawaii building unless pixie dust flies and you get a suite
I prefer balcony due to security reasons. We stayed on the first floor and I worried about the lock on the patio door. Also I like my curtains open during the day and the foot traffic by my window bothers me.
Lots of people prefer patio due to the freedom of an extra exit out of the room and the convienance of have a huge grassy area in front of the patio. With little ones that is a plus. You can sit on your patio and watch em burn off all that extra energy (that you wish you could steal. )

CHARITY eh at least I tried to get more pics! Just have o wait until your return!
Lol - well, you MAY be in luck. My dad was ale o get some of our pics on my iPad for me tonight. Maybe tomorrow if I can log on, I'll upload a teaser pic or two for you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
WOW! So much going on here since I have been on. Geeze, miss a few days and look what happens? Adorable boy clothes, poop in the pool, a COMPLETE LACK of pics from folks who may or may not be at the Poly.....we don't really know cuz there are no pics..... (jk)

Chiming in on the patio vs balcony. We are balcony folks. I totally get why some folks like a patio while little ones are sleeping for easy exit to acquire some adult libations and fun snacks.....BUT.....I have a "thing" about hearing people walking above me that makes me a little uneasy(weird, I know). Also like Carl, it is a security thing. I feel like people are looking in my room to steal stuff(even though most could care less what crap we have in our room) and if on the first floor we always keep at least the sheers closed. Also think we get less chance of critters showing up on the third floor and it is much more fun to people watch from up there cuz people don't usually look up to see me spying.... (just a fun past-time and not full-on Gladys Kravitz)

Enjoying the live reports......


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaLily View Post
Gearing up for a 10 day wait, then it's ALOHHHA Polynesian (a.k.a. second home).

Does anyone know if the fake smell is still being pumped into the main lobby? I remember they began to put it there halfway through our trip when we were there in December. My mom said that it bothered her, so I was just checking.

Thank you!
There is a smell, and it is divine. Wish I could bottle it up and take it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin View Post
Seems like I'm in the minority here but our kids wouldn't want anything but a patio room. They like to go out on the grass to see the ducks.
Lol - yup, that seems to be the case around here. Lots of ppl with their kids out on the grass chasing around the baby ducklings.
__________________
May, 1991 - The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
January, 2009 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
December, 2010 - Barcelo Maya Tropical, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
204charity is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #1709
204charity
DIS Veteran
 
204charity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 703

Live from the Poly!

Had another great day in DW. Up at 6:30, at AK for 8:15. Rode everything with little to no waits all day. Grabbed fast passes for EE and did it! I loved it and screamed like a little girl the whole time. My dad rode with me, it was so great.

Back at the Poly for 3:30, swam in the "quiet" pool for an hour or so. A terrible dinner at Contempo Cafe (NOT going back there) and now we are down for the night. It was BLOODY hot today people! I burnt my scalp along my hair part.

Tommorow is our first of 2 days at MK. We plan to arrive for 8:40 to see the opening show thing....... dD's first time ever at the MK, so this should be fun.

Talk soon!
__________________
May, 1991 - The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
January, 2009 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
December, 2010 - Barcelo Maya Tropical, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
204charity is offline  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #1710
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!
 
HalloweenNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Had another great day in DW. Up at 6:30, at AK for 8:15. Rode everything with little to no waits all day. Grabbed fast passes for EE and did it! I loved it and screamed like a little girl the whole time. My dad rode with me, it was so great.

Back at the Poly for 3:30, swam in the "quiet" pool for an hour or so. A terrible dinner at Contempo Cafe (NOT going back there) and now we are down for the night. It was BLOODY hot today people! I burnt my scalp along my hair part.

Tommorow is our first of 2 days at MK. We plan to arrive for 8:40 to see the opening show thing....... dD's first time ever at the MK, so this should be fun.

Talk soon!
Sounds like you're having a great time. Love the live reports! Keep 'em coming!!
__________________
ME DW DD(6-3/4) DM
Fort Wilderness 1973, Off-Site 1986, Off-Site 1995, Polynesian 2012!!


Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
HalloweenNut is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: