Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1666
momtoamulan
Mouseketeer

New to Poly!

We are going in Sept., there and have a garden view...are there better garden rooms than others? Should we make a request for a certain room or area?

Anything we should look forward too?

We are travelling with ouy nine year old dd and five year petite girl..
So excited!!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #1667
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoamulan View Post
We are going in Sept., there and have a garden view...are there better garden rooms than others? Should we make a request for a certain room or area?

So excited!!
We requested 3rd floor Samoa and were given room 3610. It's at the end of the hallway closest toward the lagoon, directly in front of the volcano pool.

If I had to chose again, I would not choose this. The view was great, but the noise from the Volcano Pool went on until the wee hours of the morning. People had their kids out there splashing and being very loud until well after midnight. It's Disney, they are having fun, I get it. But it was annoying when we were trying to sleep.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #1668
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So excited!!
We stayed in Tokelau, and have requested it again! It was a great location, close to TTC and quiet pool, and not too far from the Great Ceremonial House.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1669
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post

As a side note to that review on the food blog, does anyone else get a tad, just a little, irrationally irritated that so many people suggest you, "just take a quick ride to the Poly and sit and eat?" I KNOW it's open to all, I KNOW that you don't have to be a resort guest to sit on the beach or eat at CC's, but there is a small part of me that is always screaming on the inside for people to NOT take that advice.

Yes, I'm terrible, I know.

The coming by to eat doesn't bother me so much because we have eaten at other resorts, so fair is fair. But, I don't like reading in other threads when someone suggests or asks about heading over to the Poly for the campfire & movie, even watching Wishes from the beach is a bit iffy for me - depends when it is (ie. a busy time, making it unfair to guests who may not be able to enjoy what they have paid for).
I remember a really snarky exchange about watching Wishes on the 4th. I said that it was only for Poly guests. Someone said that they came into the beach from the TTC end and no one was stopping them so basically too bad. Someone else (who seemed to be a total KIA) said what I posted was not true. I quoted someone from here who had been at the main beach on the 4th & reported ropes up & CM's checking ID. He told me that the poster must have been lying to keep other people away from the Poly (yep, we're all liars over here ... ) I said that the poster had talked about this a few days after the fact, so didn't see his motivation in lying. sheesh
Personally, I'm uncomfortable horning in on things that are intended as amenities for resort guests. I don't think, for example, I would grab takeout at Gasparilla and hang out on the GF beach. I would eat in the restaurant though.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #1670
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
At the airport getting ready to board our flight to (hopefully) sunny Orlando.
Have fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkPirateMom View Post
Sounds yummy!

Have a magical trip!

I was just reading about some new cupcakes at Capt. Cook's. They sound delicious!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...ooks-cupcakes/

So what do all of you think of Capt. Cook's? What is your favorite item there (ok, I know Dole whips but besides those)? I am interested in trying the Grown Up or Adult Grilled Cheese. They look pretty good. We won't be eating there too much due to being in the parks and ADR's but probably will stop in our first day and our pool day.
I LOVE the grown up grilled cheese. They do use a panini contraption or something to flatten it and while it means it isn't fried in oil, it does flatten the bread a bit but it's still very tasty. The chips can be hit or miss. Sometimes there are some stale ones But usually they are good. I don't like to go on carb overload anyway so it doesn't bother me not to eat all my chips. I wonder if you could order fruit instead??? And of course, dole whips for dessert!!! My daughter likes that she can get a kids grilled cheese here. And their tomato basil soup is fabulous!

For breakfast, I like the classic mickey waffle with strawberry sauce and bacon And the kids breakfasts are a great option for anyone. You can get some scrambled eggs, bacon, and grapes (great start to your day!) for around $4 and then indulge in a carb-o-licious park snack like a cinnamon roll or pretzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
As a side note to that review on the food blog, does anyone else get a tad, just a little, irrationally irritated that so many people suggest you, "just take a quick ride to the Poly and sit and eat?" I KNOW it's open to all, I KNOW that you don't have to be a resort guest to sit on the beach or eat at CC's, but there is a small part of me that is always screaming on the inside for people to NOT take that advice.

Yes, I'm terrible, I know.
I agree. If we were ONLY paying for rooms, it would be fine. But the cost of staying is so high for the 'amenities' that it diminishes your return when anyone can use them.

And I remember that conversation Maiapapaya - I think the Poly does realize at some point, you have to restrict certain amenities to the resort guests especially at peak times like July 4th. I'm glad they do that but it also is unfortunate that they aren't consistent (like wristbanding at the pool and such). I don't want the beauty of the Poly to be destroyed with rope offs but they have to realize that the beach there is a prime location - and a FREE one to those NOT staying at the resort. Just park at the Poly and say you are eating/shopping and then stay to play and watch the fireworks. I wish they had a hard rule rather than picking and choosing when they are going to restrict things. Or maybe they could dedicate a section of beach (and the hammocks???) to Poly guests? Oh well, something I'll just live with...and have no problem fighting for my beach chair

Quote:

So excited!!
You will always get varied answers. I like Tokelau ground floor because we like the big patio and 'feeling' of your own yard on the ground floor. Tokelau has one sink in the bathroom too and I prefer that because I want room for my stuff. Rarely do we have two people using sinks at the same time anyway. And the rooms are 'slightly' larger in Tokelau than the 'older' buildings. And in Tokelau, there is a patio or balcony for every room. It's also a nice central location with a super quick walk to the bus stop.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #1671
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

When we were planning our last trip to the Poly, I found this statement on the Disney website.
"Select Walt Disney World Resort hotels offer Guest-only beach access for sunbathing and relaxing along Disney's private lakes. Please note that while swimming is prohibited in the lakes, every Resort hotel features family and quiet pools for Guests wanting to splash around or simply cool off." http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/beaches/
Our visits have always been at the end of August when it is not busy so there were never any CM's enforcing the Guest-only access.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1672
204charity
DIS Veteran

Duplicate post
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
November, 2014 - Paradisus La Esmeralda, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR

Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1673
204charity
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone! I was hoping to update yesterday, but silly DIS was not working for us it seems!

We checked into the Poly yesterday after a very non-eventful flight from Manitoba, wow - we love it here!!!!!

Requested 3rd floor either Tahiti or Fiji and got 3rd floor Tahiti!! Room is clean, mousekeeping has brought us extra coffee, sugar, mugs, towels as soon as we have requested, very good customer service so far.

Yesterday was cool and windy so we went to Epcot for dinner at Japan instead of the slides at the water park as planned. First ride for us was Nemo & Turtle TALK W crush (which we loved)

Today was rope drop at Hollywood Studios and then the Poly pool for a swim (so we thought - pool fouling anyone?) POOL CLOSED!!!! Dinner at Woldfgang Puck Express at DTD and some shopping. Ankles are sore today, but we are happy as clams. We haven't missed anything we wanted to see so far, no lines at anything, and if their was, we were the first in line.

Tomorrow's plan..... Grand Floridian for breakfast and then water parks!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #1674
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Pool was closed? Why was pool closed?

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #1675
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
I take it from the "fouling" comment, someone "relieved" themselves in the pool.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #1676
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
No panic Carl...... Just a pool fouling aka poop in the pool. All was cleared up in about two hours. Didn't help our afternoon swim any though. Lol

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1677
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Quote:
No panic Carl...... Just a pool fouling aka poop in the pool. All was cleared up in about two hours. Didn't help our afternoon swim any though. Lol
Oh...the sneaky Baby Ruth floating to close the pool trick again. I sense mischief is afoot.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1678
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Look at me!!!! Under 3 months now, and we will be arriving for our first stay at the Poly!!!!

Any of you kind people who would like to post pics and get me super excited, can feel free to do so!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL

Last edited by Mousemommy1; 04-16-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added request
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #1679
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
EEEEEK!!! (it's all I can say!)

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1680
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Look at me!!!! Under 3 months now, and we will be arriving for our first stay at the Poly!!!!

Any of you kind people who would like to post pics and get me super excited, can feel free to do so!
You are soo lucky you get to go for the first time!! I wish I could go back to when it was all new to me!

I would post some pics but they have been posted here.. Then I would get "Carl's pics AGAIN" blaaah!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: