Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #286
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I just read your last update and can't believe you left out a very important reason to buy at AKV

How about the fact that AKV is AWESOME! When I was really thinking of trying to buy resale, AKV was my top choice based on the fact that is has been my favorite resort we have stayed in so far. I love the food options, the pools, the animals, the room decor, the rugs, you name it- I love it

I think AKV is a great choice
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #287
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Cost of DVC: Is it worth it?

Cost of DVC: Is it worth it?

Welcome back! This is the post where I breakdown the DVC math! I am currently at the airport waiting for my flight to Albuquerque! I have a cousin that lives there. I will be sure to take tons of pictures this weekend. The plan is to...

-- Go to the Balloon Fiesta

-- Eat a a "meat on skewers" place like Ohana, called Tucanos!

-- Go to my cousin's kid's soccer game where her DH is the referee!

-- go to a place called "Rebel Donut" and eat these Breaking Bad Donuts!

-- go to "The Candy Lady" (I can't say that without thinking of the FRIENDS episode by the way) and buy "Blue Ice Candy" that looks like the meth from Breaking Bad!

-- Drive around ABQ and see some of the filming locations

-- Eat at LOS POLLOS HERMANOS! (a.k.a. Twisters!)

Should be a fun weekend.

Back to DVC. As mentioned before, the resale we are looking at is 210 points, priced at $69 a point, September use year. I will get all 2012 points, as well as 71 points that have to be used by 8/31/2013. Wendi/Doug will probably use those points for a quick CA trip this spring (they decided to cancel the Oct trip they had planned).

By the way, I think that these banked points may be why this resale is priced a bit higher than others I have seen. For example, I saw another 210 contract today for $66 a point, all 2012 points available, no dues until 2013.

Essentially, the 71 banked points are upping the price by $3.00 a point, and honestly I don’t really mind. The extra $630 could get us 4 weekend nights in a studio at VGC, which would be like renting 71 points for $9 a point. I still come out on top, I think as $9 is a reasonable rental rate to rent, and Wendi and Doug get a place to stay.

Once again, the upfront costs are:

Closing Costs: $500
Cost of Points: $14,490
__________________Total Cost: $14,990

As mentioned in the previous post, I don’t plan on accounting for inflation. Also, I plan to compare the DVC costs to 8 nights in a standard room at POFQ, each year from 2013-2057. I will use AP rates with a 30% discount in my calculations.

Why POFQ? Because we love that resort! We think there is an “uptick” in quality from the value to the moderate, but wouldn’t necessarily pay that much more to stay in a deluxe. We enjoyed our POFQ stay just as much as our stay in VWL. We would probably be a moderate family, to be honest. =)

The other costs associated with DVC are the annual dues. I would be paying dues on my AKV property for 44 years. Dues are currently $5.43 and I would have 210 points ($1140.30 per year).

44 years’ worth of annual dues would be $40,173.20
That number was added to the original investment, which was $14,990

Total investment over 45 years? $65,163.20

Okay, so that’s a HUGE number-- and I didn't even figure in inflation! However, when you divide it by 45 years, you get $1448.07.

It would cost $1448.07 per year to own DVC. This means that with the dues factored in (of course, this isn’t taking inflation into consideration), we would “pay” $6.90 per point, per year.

Not too bad, especially when the rental sites charge people $12-13 to rent and give the DVC owner around $10 per point.

Let’s compare the $1448.07 that it would cost for DVC each year to 8 nights at POFQ. 8 nights at POFQ will run you anywhere from $253 a night (the week of Christmas), to $177 during value season. It seems like the average of all seasons is around $200. With a 30% AP discount, the room average would be $140. Of course, this is assuming we buy APs each year.

$140 per night, x 8 nights, + 12.5% tax = $1260.0 a year

45 years’ worth of POFQ would be $56,000
Total DVC Cost: $65,163.20

So, 8 nights at POFQ, standard view, would cost less than purchasing DVC. However, would we really want to stay in the cheapest room option every time? I could see us staying at preferred CSR a few times, or wanting to stay in a Deluxe for a special occasion. Once you add that variation in, would it end up being more than $9,000? Perhaps.

Okay, now let’s take this trip into consideration. The POFQ room rate for our trip, at the 30% discount, was $4,646.

Total DVC Cost: $65,163.20
POFQ Ultimate trip ($4,646) + 43 future, eight night trips to POFQ ($54,180) = $58,826

POFQ would be $6,297 cheaper than purchasing DVC.

Hmmm. This math isn’t working out as well as I would have hoped. Time to add in those things I said I wouldn’t account for to justify my purchase!

Getting more? I need to consider that 210 points goes farther than 8 nights at POFQ (or in a studio). I could stay in a studio for a week during the most expensive time of the year, concierge level, for 211 points. During the low season, I could stay in a value studio at AKL for three whole weeks! We get more, even though we are paying more…

Family/Friends: Once again, we could afford to be generous with family if we had DVC. We love going with family, so this is a huge plus. We could also rent points. In order to “make up” the $6,300 difference, we would only have to rent all 210 points for 3 years of the 45 year contract for $10.00 a point. I am sure there will be 3 years within the next 45 that we won’t want to do a Disney trip.

Discounts. APs, TIW, 10-20% merchandise for AP holders? This will all come in handy on our next trip. Even a savings of $3.00 per MNSSHP ticket will save our family $27.00 Let’s say each kid spends $100 on souvenirs. That is a savings of $60.00 with the regular AP and $120.00 with the premium! Over 45 years, the cost of these little things could add up to big savings.

Long story short, we were able to justify the extra $6,000 - $8,000 extra that DVC costs over 45 years' worth of POFQ vacations. We put in an offer on the resale!

Welcome home, indeed!
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #288
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I just read your last update and can't believe you left out a very important reason to buy at AKV

How about the fact that AKV is AWESOME! When I was really thinking of trying to buy resale, AKV was my top choice based on the fact that is has been my favorite resort we have stayed in so far. I love the food options, the pools, the animals, the room decor, the rugs, you name it- I love it

I think AKV is a great choice
AKV is awesome! I have actually never stayed there, but I have eaten there and I love it!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #289
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I called it! Haha, I figured you had decided to buy before finishing reading your DVC math posts!

I think it is AWESOME!! Congratulations!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #290
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

That is so awesome!!!

Now, I could have used these exact same figures a few weeks ago, when I was going through the exact same thing... After all - I was comparing FQ (our fav) with an AKV DVC purchase.

I may have to copy and paste them for DH (non-Disney lovin' guy)... But that's the part that makes it so hard to justify. Since there really isn't actually a savings -and we will only go during some sort of code offer... So it's even less of a savings. It would be something that is just for the girls and I... and once they are off to college - it would be just for me.

I agree totally, that if you are going to buy any "timeshare" at all - it should be DVC resale... In the end - even if you turned around to sell it in a few years, you could most likely get the majority of your initial investment back. It holds it's value. So, part of me thinks, I could buy into it now (after all, the market is low) and if our lives change in a few years - I could always resell. I would not be bound to this forever... Personally - I would want to be though.

Again - Congratulations to you!!! I can't wait to hear more about it and the future trips you are planning!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #291
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
Long story short, we were able to justify the extra $6,000 - $8,000 extra that DVC costs over 45 years' worth of POFQ vacations. We put in an offer on the resale!

Welcome home, indeed!
Oh how exciting!!! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #292
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I apologize for not being able to follow your PTR these past few months. I skimmed through everything last night, your math impresses me.

Anyway, good luck on the whole offer to buy DVC!! I promise I'll do better when it's time to follow your TR.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #293
silverhaze269
DIS Veteran

AKL DVC...that's so exciting!

I hope you guys get it!
Expect the Unexpected: A May/June 2011 Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2737115

October 28-November 11 2012 - Disney/POP, May 27-June 4 2011 - Disney/CSR, April 20-27 2008 - Disney/POP, Dec 18-27 2007 - Disney/POFQ, Dec 10-15 2006 - USO/HRH, May 15-20 2005 - USO/ HRH, Aug 20-27 2004 - Disney/DTD Hotels, Aug 28 - Sept 2 2003 - USO/HRH, April 14-26 2002 - WDW, USO, SW, BG/Off-site
silverhaze269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #294
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly and you are DVC members soon.
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #295
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Wow, your math has my mind just swimming!!! I am so glad you made your decision! DVC seems like a good choice. I have looked at it each year and always kinda come to the same conclusions you did in cost... but unlike you, the variant pushes me away not toward.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #296
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Life Update!

Life Update!

Yeah, I have been really crappy about updating this PTR lately! Long story short, the last two months have been an emotional wreck. I briefly mentioned that in my last update, but now I am struggling again. It’s like the last four years finally caught up with both of us, ugh.

I think that I am holding onto a lot of anger and grief because of my family. My two little sisters and my parents aren’t the most supportive people and haven’t every had a conversation with me about the infertility/losses, so I think I have subconsciously thought that I needed to hold onto it to keep validating my feelings to myself because I don’t get validation from them. I am trying to let that all go, though. Sigh.

What we have been up to:

--Our DVC offer passed ROFR and we should be closing soon!

-- I really hope your DVC closes before 12/31 so that we can take advantage of the $399 APs! We can activate them in Oct and go again in Sept 2014.

-- We adopted two rabbits from the Humane Society. We named them Charlie (LOST, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Claire (LOST, Claire Danes, Clair Huxtable). Pictures coming soon!

--We are thinking about looking into adoption. The thought of getting and sustaining a pregnancy is just too darn stressful. If we go this route, I don't think we will tell my family-- We would love to do the "Lion King" thing from Modern Family!

--We are doing a lot of outings and Disney movie nights with Wendi’s family! Wendi, Doug, and their kids have been a wonderful support system. So lucky to have them!

-- We are throwing a party for ourselves on our due date, 11/17! The party will essentially be to explain everything we have gone through. I don’t want to make my family feel bad for not supporting us, but I don’t think they understand what has happened to us.

So, yes, they will feel horrible about the lack of support and how my two little sisters essentially stopped speaking to us at one point. I’ll take pictures. And I made a gift registry. They will celebrate me! I am sick of going to all of their kids’ stuff and not being recognized as a valuable part of the family. Grr.

--We are going to Disneyland in January! 2012 has been a really crappy year, and we don’t want to wait until October for some Disney magic. We are going with Evan’s brother, his wife, and their two kids. They are the ones from my “I want to quit this whole Disney World” unfinished TR (link in my signature). I may post a few updates about that on this PTR, maybe a mini TR.

--Someday I will finish my TR for my 2011 trip with Carol, Steven, Chloe and June!

--That’s all for now, folks!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #297
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I called it! Haha, I figured you had decided to buy before finishing reading your DVC math posts!

I think it is AWESOME!! Congratulations!
Ha! I am jumping aboard your same train! I have been thinking about it ever since your Disneymoon/Wedding TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
That is so awesome!!!

Now, I could have used these exact same figures a few weeks ago, when I was going through the exact same thing... After all - I was comparing FQ (our fav) with an AKV DVC purchase.

I may have to copy and paste them for DH (non-Disney lovin' guy)... But that's the part that makes it so hard to justify. Since there really isn't actually a savings -and we will only go during some sort of code offer... So it's even less of a savings. It would be something that is just for the girls and I... and once they are off to college - it would be just for me.

I agree totally, that if you are going to buy any "timeshare" at all - it should be DVC resale... In the end - even if you turned around to sell it in a few years, you could most likely get the majority of your initial investment back. It holds it's value. So, part of me thinks, I could buy into it now (after all, the market is low) and if our lives change in a few years - I could always resell. I would not be bound to this forever... Personally - I would want to be though.

Again - Congratulations to you!!! I can't wait to hear more about it and the future trips you are planning!

D~
Yes, we usually don't go without some sort of code either! However, I didn't want to stress myself out about waiting for one every year. Disney shouldn't be stressful for me, LOL!

I figured that about the resale as well-- hopefully I can get most of it back when/if we do decide to sell it. I could see us keeping it though-- I am sure we will have plenty of friends and family members who want to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Oh how exciting!!! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I apologize for not being able to follow your PTR these past few months. I skimmed through everything last night, your math impresses me.

Anyway, good luck on the whole offer to buy DVC!! I promise I'll do better when it's time to follow your TR.
No worries, Mel! You have a cute wee one to attend to! =) I haven't been very good about updating this thing, LOL!

Are you still planning on doing a trip while Claudia is around 6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaze269 View Post
AKL DVC...that's so exciting!

I hope you guys get it!
We did! Thanks for the enthusiasm! We haven't told anyone in the family but Wendi/Doug. I don't know what they would think about it. We'll keep it a secret until my little sisters stop getting upset that this trip is evening happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly and you are DVC members soon.
Looks like we will be! Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Wow, your math has my mind just swimming!!! I am so glad you made your decision! DVC seems like a good choice. I have looked at it each year and always kinda come to the same conclusions you did in cost... but unlike you, the variant pushes me away not toward.
Yes, the math makes my head hurt as well! I almost didn't do it, but we have been thinking about it for a couple of years, so it was time to pull the trigger. Now we just have to replenish the savings account and pay off the few thousand we needed a small loan for! Interest is low, which is good.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #298
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Photo Workshop and Planning Session!

In July, Wendi and I took a basic photography workshop. We saw a deal on Living Social and decided to take the plunge! I thought the information was great! It wasn’t overwhelming and gave me just enough information to feel confident in what I was doing. I want to get a new camera sometime so that Wendi can take my old one. It is annoying to change the settings on both her camera and my dad’s.

We used manual mode the entire time. Here are Wendi’s pictures from the first practice session (indoor lighting).

So, you can clearly see the progression here. My pictures from this are below:

Here we were practicing shutter speed and capturing movement. This is our workshop facilitator, Shelly Love.

Wendi’s

Mine:

We then went outside to take pictures in the bright sunlight. We had a lot of overexposure at first, but we got better.

Wendi:

Mine:

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #299
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Photo Workshop and Planning Session Part II

Photo Workshop and Planning Session Part II

We then tried to take pictures of moving cars. Wendi did much better at this.

Wendi:

Mine:

Do you see how she got the car almost in focus while the background is blurry in this next one? That was the point.

I didn’t do so well with this assignment:

Wendi’s picture of an excited me. I can use my camera! Needed to make the shutter speed faster so that I am not so blurry! Hindsight is 20/20!

Anyway, we wanted to take the workshop so that our Disney World pictures are awesome! Hopefully we will get more practice before then. This is another reason why I need a new camera and Wendi needs mine. We both need cameras when we go on “outings” with the kids!

Speaking of outings…

In late July Evan and I used a Groupon to a bakery in Chandler called “Mind Over Batter” and dropped by Wendi’s house. We got some PogoPasses (pogopass.com) for cheap @ Living Social, so we went there to plan what/when we would attend these events!

We decided to do one outing a month so the kids could learn how to behave in public, navigate crowds, etc. It is also good for me/Evan to be around the kids in public settings. We can see what we can handle, the patience we need to develop, etc.

We also decided to choose an Epcot country for each month. Two of the kids would check out books from the library and teach the family about that country. We would have a dinner with that country’s food.

Additionally, we chose a movie for each month. Disney movie nights are being done on a regular basis! The kids get excited about these! =)

I believe we did this post photography workshop. I don’t think that Wendi or I realized how stressful using manual mode can be when there is so much action going on! Hence the blurry shots and the weird exposures!

Kaelyn with her cupcake!

Alyssa talked about this cupcake for MONTHS. She would draw pictures of it. She would talk about it to anyone who would listen (including random strangers). She was obsessed.

Sara with her carrot cake! She didn’t end up liking it, so I think she ended up with a strawberry one.

Slow shutter spend and children! A dangerous combination! Here is Bryant:

Emma was away at a cousin’s house, so she wasn’t part of the festivities.

After we ate dessert, we chose an outing, movie, and country for each month. They kids got really into it! We had three separate bowls. One for outings, one for movies, etc.

Sara looks so excited in this picture! Love it!

Alyssa reading and showing a movie selection:

Me writing down her selection.

Seriously. Why did Sara think this was the best thing ever? We were taking slips of paper from bowls for crying out loud!

Cute Benjamin in the background!

Hooray for Canada!

The bowls were pretty small, so Kaelyn received a lesson in fine motor skills:

Benjamin!

Recording the final month’s activities (September 2013).

We have had a fun time doing these outings over the last few months! First up? A Tangled party! Pictures coming soon!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #300
JennisSilly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
Life Update!

--We are thinking about looking into adoption. The thought of getting and sustaining a pregnancy is just too darn stressful. If we go this route, I don't think we will tell my family-- We would love to do the "Lion King" thing from Modern Family!

I am so sorry you've had a rough few months, and that you haven't had the support you deserve from people you love. But I am so glad that you have had a few WONDERFUL people to support you.

Adoption has blessed our lives more then I could have ever imagined. Our little girl is 1.5 y/o now, and every day I look at her and am instantly reminded how amazing and miraculous God is, and how deep His love for us is- after all he brought four (DH, Myself, DD, and her BirthMother) strangers together and made us a family!

I will say, that adoption can also be a tough road, and while I understand not wanting to tell your family, make sure you have a good support system. Homestudy's are invasive, waiting to be picked is excruciating, waiting for your baby once an expectant mother has picked you is a mix of excitement, fear, and even grief, as you grieve the pregnancy you aren't having, and grieve for your child's birth family. My point is, make sure that you have a support system through it.

I am part of a great group of adoptive parents here in the valley, many from the University! If you ever want to chat about adoption (specifically laws and how they apply here- I believe you mentioned previously that your church has an agency- but if you need agency/professional's recs we have all used different people/organizations) please feel free to contact me

I wish you light and love in whatever path is yours to travel! Many prayers for peace and happiness!

WDW: 2005 POFQ, 2006 OKW- Grand Villa, 2009 AKL Jambo House- 1 bedroom Villa, 2011 AKL Jambo House 1 bedroom- CANCELLED
Disneyland: To many times to count, DLH, DPP, GC, VGC- 2 bedroom villa

Our Adoption Story & Blog
A May WDW Trip- Cancelled!

JennisSilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: