Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #796
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I can't be the only person creeped out by feet, can I?

Like the good little park guests that we were, we dutifully made our speedy way in the direction of Soarin. The park had already been open for a few minutes, so we walked straight up into The Land and into the Soarin' queue (probably approximately 10 minutes at this point). Because I'm a pain, and feet gross me out, I requested we sit in the front row. We waited through one cycle of the ride, and then were led to the front center section!

While I do love Soarin', I will admit that it is a very brief ride for the hype, and the length of the queue itself (did you know that queue for Soarin' is a QUARTER MILE long? Not taking into account the hike to get into and through The Land pavilion.) Wingnut is in the group of people that can take or leave Soarin' completely, but I do like to go at least once during a trip.

After Soarin', of course, we then went over to one of our favorite rides, Living with the Land.

What can I say, I love a nice peaceful boat ride along harvests of lettuce and sturgeon.

I didn't take too many pictures during this ride, but I did make sure to get a picture of the Dragon Fruit. (During our previous trip, Wingnut bought one of the little dragon fruit plants from the teeny tiny store in the Land in the greenhouse environment, named it Planty (not knowing the Phineas and Ferb reference), transplanted him to dirt when he outgrew his little container, and we've been watching Planty grow since.)

Our Planty (the potted plant):

(Yeah, he's even in fancy cactus dirt. )

Their Planty:

(That would only take up, oh, around half our living room...)

Supposedly (according to the Internet) our Planty wouldn't be able to produce fruit without being pollinated by bats or fruit flies. Which is SO not happening in our home. And if I put him outside in hopes of a random bat or fly coming by, more likely, he'd just get eaten by a squirrel.

We don't have a water lily. But they are pretty.

Of course, a picture of the 9 pound lemon.

(Does everyone remember when I actually did the math to figure out how much lemonade the 9 pound lemon would yield?) (Last comment)

Lettuce, Mickey-style.

Scientific hidden Mickey!

Towards the end of the ride, I was absolutely DETERMINED to get a picture of my most favorite ride part, the pictures of the people with the various fruits and vegetables. (I have a particular fondness for Blueberry Boy.)

And this is what I got.

Hurrying to try to get another picture before we floated past.

Not great, but still counts as a YAY!!!

After Living with the Land, I knew Wingnut was itching to go on one of his favorite rides, Universe of Energy.

(In typical Wingnut fashion, again, a ride that they warn you you will be on the ride for 43 minutes. Which, conveniently, was approximately the amount of time we had left until World Showcase opened.)

(I really do love the Ellen ride, I think she's fantastic. But you can't say it isn't long!)

(Also, I know this is a few days old, but did everyone see the Cinco de Mayo joke she played around her office?)

Waiting for the next show to start.

It's like a Stringbean and Wingnut puzzle!

We were let into the ride. The piggy bank. Dinosaurs. "What is rain."

And then we were back out into the sunshine! And heading to World Showcase, to a place we hadn't been before!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #797
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

DH always says, every time on Soarin' that all they would have to do to eliminate the feet is to put a catch "tray" if you will all under the seats so that if you're in rows 2 or 3, all you would see would be a straight line. Low enough so that your feet still dangle. I'm with you, not so much feet in general, but strangers' feet give me the heebie jeebies.
Ellen is long. I usually save it for later, when I'm super tired and need the full 45 minutes off my feet!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #798
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

A quarter mile long? EEK! I had no idea. I knew the queue felt long when we were there, but wow.... Good for you for waiting for the front row. You get the best ride that way, too, because nothing's obstructing your view. I happen to love Soarin'...it gets me...I feel transported, especially during that last pass over the beach in Malibu. But I will admit that it is a ride that could use an update. A slightly longer movie would be cool, as would a movie that travels around the world. But, I suppose, that if the movie were much longer, the lines would be that much longer.

Universe of Energy is one of Wingnut's favorite rides? Wow. I have to say, we should take Max through there this summer as he has developed a more keen interest in dinosaurs as of late and I'm kind of doubting he'll be tall enough for DINOSAUR in AK.

Can't wait to hear where you're headed in WS!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #799
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I have that same $5 pen! Isn't it amazing what we'll do/pay for something like a pen when you're in Disney? I can't say that I blame you though...you simply had to have a pen for the autographs.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #800
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

You totally had me laughing about the people who look like food, because I love that part of he ride too! (my DH thinks I'm totally off the wall when I get excited for that part).

Do you remember a few years ago there was a commercial for something like cholesterol medicine, where the people dressed up to look like food (that caused cholesterol?), every time I watched that commercial I thought "They stole that idea from Living with the Land!"
Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #801
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

1/4 MILES??? I had no idea! I mean I knew it felt like a long walk but goooooodness.

Hahaha, Planty's lookin' good. Way to grow, Planty.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #802
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Well, you already know by now that my family has a slight obsession with Living with the Land, especially camera trigger-happy Brandon. But, gosh darn it, I just love seeing it! It never gets old! And I loved your lemonade calculation then and love it to this day! Also, Planty is looking spectacular with his (her? both?) fancy cactus dirt. Too bad about your bat ban.

I've never ridden Universe of Energy because...well...it's long, and I have lots of little kids with little bladders. However, I am a big dork AND an Ellen fan (do they go hand in hand?), so I've watched it on You Tube. Yep. I know it would be so much better in person, but until they start stopping for potty breaks at some point during the ride, I doubt our family will be on board .

Wait, there's somewhere in Epcot you've never been??? YOU??

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #803
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Right now, Soarin' is my favorite ride in any of the parks.

We enjoy Living with the Land, as well. It is also convenient for the person who is sitting out on a Soarin' babyswap situation. Instead of just sitting and trying to entertain the little one, we/they can go one round through the garden.

Hmmm...I am wondering where you have never been before.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #804
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Love the princess birthday card!!

I only ride Soarin when someone makes me. It's lost on me. But I agree- if I am going to ride it, it has to be in the first row.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #805
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
DH always says, every time on Soarin' that all they would have to do to eliminate the feet is to put a catch "tray" if you will all under the seats so that if you're in rows 2 or 3, all you would see would be a straight line. Low enough so that your feet still dangle. I'm with you, not so much feet in general, but strangers' feet give me the heebie jeebies.
Ellen is long. I usually save it for later, when I'm super tired and need the full 45 minutes off my feet!
I think they keep the feet in view to make it more like you're on a little thing gliding around? Idk. It just bugs me to see the feet in front of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
A quarter mile long? EEK! I had no idea. I knew the queue felt long when we were there, but wow.... Good for you for waiting for the front row. You get the best ride that way, too, because nothing's obstructing your view. I happen to love Soarin'...it gets me...I feel transported, especially during that last pass over the beach in Malibu. But I will admit that it is a ride that could use an update. A slightly longer movie would be cool, as would a movie that travels around the world. But, I suppose, that if the movie were much longer, the lines would be that much longer.

Universe of Energy is one of Wingnut's favorite rides? Wow. I have to say, we should take Max through there this summer as he has developed a more keen interest in dinosaurs as of late and I'm kind of doubting he'll be tall enough for DINOSAUR in AK.

Can't wait to hear where you're headed in WS!
Yes!! I read that when we were planning to use the wheelchair, and there was a place (probably on the Dis) that pointed out the length of the queue if you were planning to walk it! I really really do think that Soarin' should be a bit longer. Even just by a minute!

Hahaha he loves that ride! It really isn't too scary, but it does get very dark and loud at a few points. But the whole ride is on a big slow-moving tram car, no need for seatbelts or anything. Definitely calmer than Dinosaur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I have that same $5 pen! Isn't it amazing what we'll do/pay for something like a pen when you're in Disney? I can't say that I blame you though...you simply had to have a pen for the autographs.
Hahaha desperation is definitely the fuel to many ridiculous purchases! I did have to have a pen, and this was it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
You totally had me laughing about the people who look like food, because I love that part of he ride too! (my DH thinks I'm totally off the wall when I get excited for that part).

Do you remember a few years ago there was a commercial for something like cholesterol medicine, where the people dressed up to look like food (that caused cholesterol?), every time I watched that commercial I thought "They stole that idea from Living with the Land!"
Hahaha I love everything about that part!! It's so fun!

Yes!! I forgot about that one!!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #806
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
1/4 MILES??? I had no idea! I mean I knew it felt like a long walk but goooooodness.

Hahaha, Planty's lookin' good. Way to grow, Planty.
Hahahaha yep!!! Your fun Disney queue length fact for today!

I know it sounds silly, but it's fun to watch him grow! He started off so small!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Well, you already know by now that my family has a slight obsession with Living with the Land, especially camera trigger-happy Brandon. But, gosh darn it, I just love seeing it! It never gets old! And I loved your lemonade calculation then and love it to this day! Also, Planty is looking spectacular with his (her? both?) fancy cactus dirt. Too bad about your bat ban.

I've never ridden Universe of Energy because...well...it's long, and I have lots of little kids with little bladders. However, I am a big dork AND an Ellen fan (do they go hand in hand?), so I've watched it on You Tube. Yep. I know it would be so much better in person, but until they start stopping for potty breaks at some point during the ride, I doubt our family will be on board .

Wait, there's somewhere in Epcot you've never been??? YOU??
Hahaha we love it too!! I just HAD to know how much lemonade it could yield! Not that Disney would probably want us there with a juicer!

I usually refer to Planty as a him, but he really could just as easily be a girl dragonfruit plant! Yes, I know. I'm just a big meanie not letting bats inside my home.

Ellen IS long, especially for little kid bladders!

Yes, I can't think of many, but this one was high on the list!! (Actually, this was an afternoon of visiting several places in Epcot we hadn't been!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Right now, Soarin' is my favorite ride in any of the parks.

We enjoy Living with the Land, as well. It is also convenient for the person who is sitting out on a Soarin' babyswap situation. Instead of just sitting and trying to entertain the little one, we/they can go one round through the garden.

Hmmm...I am wondering where you have never been before.
I love Soarin'. It really is just peaceful and wonderful!

I've seen a bunch of people do the babyswap there! It's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Love the princess birthday card!!

I only ride Soarin when someone makes me. It's lost on me. But I agree- if I am going to ride it, it has to be in the first row.
Thank you!!!

Hahaha you and Wingnut are in the same Soarin' mindset. Although he doesn't even really care what row he's in, he'll just wait for the front with me when I ask. He equates it to sitting in front of a giant video screen, which, yes, I guess it is. I try to point out the smells and the hidden Mickey's to him, but it's not a ride that I usually HAVE to do over and over again, so it isn't a big deal to drag him on once or twice!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #807
JimShockz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hi everyone, and welcome to another Stringbean & Wingnut report!!!

For those of you new to our rhapsodizing about Epcot and remorseless eating adventures, well, here's us!

I am Stringbean, aka Sara. (AKA your skipper, guide, social director, and dance instructor for the following trip report.)

And Wingnut is my ever-patient DBF. We have been dating for a little over 4 years. k

We had an absolutely wonderful (and yes, magical ) trip, and I can't wait to share it all with you! We ate far too much (unprecedented numbers of snacks and desserts), and yes, of course we changed the plans while we were there!
Talking about eating,when at Disney you must stop at downtown disney at the market place and eat at the Earl of sandwich,the best hot and cold sandwich you can experience,we go out of our way to make it there.

-JH
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #808
JimShockz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I'm here! I'm here! Let's get this party started!
like we stated before its not complete without a stop at The Earl of Sandwich
at downtown disney market place,best food around

-JH
Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #809
MEK
DIS Veteran

Another great update. Sturgeon and lettuce? Can't believe you have your own dragon fruit. Your Planty is so cute. Much nicer than Nick's bonsai.

Great video from Ellen, but why did everyone of those ladies go to the handicapped bathroom? So funny!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #810
toymom10
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to say I am enjoying your report! Which lead me to your previous reports...you both are great writers! And now I'm even more looking forward to our trip in August w. ADRs at Sanaa! and CP! and Boma! ...and many more. My son has nut allergies and I was nervious about Boma , so it was great to read how they treated you there. Now I just need you guys to go on a few more trips before the end of August so I have more wonderful TRs to read!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: