Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #286
Simba22
DIS Veteran

i love the fog pics! it looks SO cool! Can't wait for our before-the-park-opens ADR at Crystal Palace in July!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #287
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
Ahahaha, I just saw this and TOTALLY didn't even think about it when talking about cauliflower/broccoli. Oh, I love puns so much! Especially unintentional ones.

I really hope I can see a zebra at YC/BC someday. Like all the safari animals decided one day that they were really tired of staying at AKL all the time and went around trying out all the other resorts. If not in real life, it would be an EXCELLENT promo video for all the resorts (hint hint Disney)!!

Did they just decide to put no lights anywhere in the Poly resort?! I would think that planning out all of the night lights would be a rather high priority item! So happy that everything at POR was in a line and there were plenty of lights. Wandering around in the dark can be fun but not after long park days!

Shrinky dinks are the best toy in the history of ever. We shrinky-dunk (shrinky dinked? shrunky drunked?) pretty much everything possible to shrinky dunk during my childhood. I just love watching them shrink and shrivel up!

I still think the mugs are cute but wish the ~special~ ASSports colors would migrate to the other resorts. I need a purple or orange mug!

That painting is SO awkward but I can really see Goofy being a creeper-y fifth wheel without even meaning to. I still don't understand why you'd even want to put Goofy in a romantic (ish?) painting. Maybe the artist lost a bet? Or just really, really likes Goofy?

Yay for CP! I kind of like the fog pictures, it's not something that's seen very often in castle photos. It makes the castle look at fairy-tale-y and mysterious (but that's more Sleeping Beauty than Cinderella I suppose...). I just really love fog. So atmospheric (I guess that works multiple ways!).
Hahaha that would be awesome if there was a promo of the animals wanting to see the rest of the World. Zebras riding Space Mountain. Giraffes walking around the World Showcase.

Hahaha I think it was more of a focus on atmosphere! Once you knew where you were going, it was a bit easier, but that first night was confusing!

I didn't realize that All Star Sports had their own mug colors! I would love purple or orange!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that painting so weird! Like, what are you doing back there, Goofy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
i love the fog pics! it looks SO cool! Can't wait for our before-the-park-opens ADR at Crystal Palace in July!
Thanks!! It's so cool getting to go in the park before rope drop!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #288
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Tigger and Piglet and Pooh Bear, oh my!

Before I begin this update, I have some not-so-great real life news. (Those of you that are already friends with me on Facebook know about this, don't worry, nothing ELSE has happened! )

This past Friday, due to downsizing at my company, I found out that I am losing my job. My last day there will be next Friday (the 24th). It's all still a bit unreal to me, even though I have begun the ever-fun process of job searching. We're all just hoping something great comes along soon!

---

Anyways, on to the real reason we're all here! It's time for breakfast!!

One more picture of the fogged-up castle.

We then headed left, in the direction of Crystal Palace.

As you can see, the pathways were bustling.

Adventureland

Back on my first report on the Dis, my dining review, Wingnut had chimed in on a few of the restaurant reviews (here, at Raglan Road, the Grand Floridian Cafe, and Boma), and I asked him if he wanted to write any of our restaurant reviews here as well. He jumped at the option of doing Crystal Palace (and Akershus, but that's a review for a different day), and so now I will hand the computer over to the one, the only, the Wingnut:

Hola! It’s your friendly neighborhood Wingnut!

I have to apologize. I am coming quite late to the party, and am just now catching up on the trip report. I just read through, thinking of what I can add to Stringbean’s fantastic trip report. I figured I can add my two cents in two areas (I was trying to rewrite that sentence to add something else with a two in it… I think Denny’s has some sort of 2,2,2 breakfast item… but I digress.)

First, the pork bun, or Cha Siu Bao, was unfortunately disappointing. Growing up in NY, I’ve had my share of excellent Chinese food, and these were definitely commercialized (and probably frozen) products; so please don’t judge all pork buns by these (they are possibly my favorite food ever, so I’m quite passionate about them lol.)

Secondly, I have a bit of a bone to pick here…. Our trip from the airport to the Polynesian. Stringbean failed to inform you that I was yelled at.

Yes, she got mad at me in the happiest place on earth for not knocking over children and hopping over the elderly in order to get slightly ahead in the check in line. Just wanted to add that in my own defense. [BTW, Stringbean is sitting next to me, claiming she never yelled…. But she did… don’t let her cuteness fool you!]

Ok, so now on to what we all wanna hear… THE FOOD!!! HOORAY!!!

Before I get into the full review, there is a bit of back story I feel compelled to share. As a youngster, I always felt that anything Disney was childish and I was too mature for it. So up until I was about 23, Disney was not a place on the forefront of my mind. Then I went with Stringbean, and she opened my eyes to how fun an experience it could be. Yet, I still resisted anything with characters… So you can imagine how out of place someone like me would be at a place like Crystal Palace. [SB: Please reference my PTR, in which going to Crystal Palace was ALL HIS IDEA. Don’t let him fool you here.]

So on to the review…

The check in process at Crystal Palace is an experience; and an odd one to boot (at least for me.) It is a multi-step process that begins with checking in with a nice lady who sites at a little ticket window. I felt as though I should have bet on Secretariat to win, place, or show. The nice lady took our information and gave us a buzzer thingy.

Now, normally when the buzzer goes off, the server shows you to your table.
At least, isn’t that what you’d expect?

Not at Crystal Palace. No; the buzzer is just meant to tease you. When the buzzer goes off, you have to wait towards the door for the server to come and announce you prior to being seated. So I liken this step to being moved from the big waiting room to the little room at the doctors’ office. They always move you to the little room so you can wait another hour for the doctor to finally show.

So we’re finally seated. And let me tell you the Crystal Palace is huge and cavernous. If it were empty I would have shouted “RICOLA” just to hear the echo reverberate. But even with the enormity of the room and the tremendous seating capacity, you aren’t placed in too close a proximity to other tables and you aren’t overwhelmed by noise. This was greatly appreciated.

The view from our table:

As for the spread, there are 2 parts to the buffet. There is the normal buffet and the kids buffet. The normal buffet is just that. A normal breakfast spread with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit, etc. It was very indicative of other buffets around Disney, and was very good. Stringbean and I especially enjoyed the scrambled egg casserole. –Stingbean- “I really enjoyed that. It had peppers, ham, cheese… I think it was called Poohs’ Breakfast Casserole.”

Stringbean's plate:

The kids buffet is where the experience gets special. And to sum it up, I have three words for you. PUFFED FRENCH TOAST! Oh my was this tasty. The closest thing I can equate it to would be a zeppole (for my non-Italian friends out there, that is fried puffs of dough caked in powdered sugar) crossed with a krispy kreme doughnut. In laymans terms…. FANTASTIC!

Wingnut's plate:

That mess you see to the left is Pooh’s Breakfast Lasagna; AKA a diabetics’ nightmare; AKA Adam’s second favorite thing on the planet (next to the puffed French toast of course.) [SB: Um? I’ve been now cast aside in favor of breakfast pastries. Oh, how the mighty have fallen… ] It is literally French toast and danish soaked in pudding and custard with jam and bananas. Perfect for those with a sweet tooth the size of Montana… Like me :D

Other misc. items that are worth noting are the corned beef hash which was quite yummy, and the biscuits and gravy, which were not. They were more akin to hockey pucks than biscuits, but that may have just been the batch I had.

Wingnut's second plate: [SB: As you could see, I was a bit over-enthusiastic on my first place, so that turned out to be my only trip to the buffet here. Possibly the first time I have EVER done that at a buffet!]

And of course, no foray into Crystal Palace would be complete without mentioning the characters. There are plenty of characters walking around, posing for pictures and dishing out hugs. This is definitely perfect for the little ones (although Stringbean and I must have looked a little odd being there without kids. I felt compelled to justify our presence: “I’m here for the puffed French toast, I swear I’m not weird!”)

[SB: Piglet and I were seemingly on the same fashion wavelength that day...]

If I had one regret for Crystal Palace, it would be that I didn’t get a chance to try the breakfast pizza… But then again, that is always what “next time” is for . Overall, Stringbean and I really enjoyed our breakfast here, and it was a great start to our day at the Magic Kingdom.

Be sure to check my next installment: “Akershus;” or “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Smoked Herring.”
Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #289
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Awesome review, Wingnut! Last time we ate at CP was in 2006 and I never even saw the puffed french toast so it will be first on my list for this year!

And don't worry, you're not weird for doing a character meal without kids! My BF and I do it all the time! The one time we EVER felt weird in WDW because we didn't have any kids was when we went to see Pocahontas and her Forest Friends at AK. It was a little stage show with real animals and I LOVE animals so I really wanted to go see it. We felt like such creepers that we bolted out of the theater as soon as the show was over.

Sara - sorry to hear about your job. I'm in the same boat but at least I've known for 2 years. I actually have an interview today and my last day at my current job is next Friday (March 2). There are jobs out there....but there are a ton of people fighting for them so make yourself stand out! Don't be afraid to tell them what you've accomplished!

Last edited by Simba22; 02-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #290
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

First off, I'm so sorry about your job! I hope you find something fast and that you love.

Oh devilish fog! I have to admit though, I think it looks pretty cool...unique let's say! That scrim on Mainstreet bakery, however, looks awful! I'm glad by the time we got there the decorated scrim was up b/c I would not have been pleased with that eye sore!

Crystal Palace!!! Glad you chimed in Wingnut! (psst...no worries Stringbean, I believe you!)

I have no idea HOW I missed the puffed french toast, but now I remember that Dallas, my son, had some and loved it! That fruit/bread pudding/sugary goodness was yummy though!

I don't think a trip to WDW would be complete for us without an early morning trip to CP, glad you enjoyed it!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #291
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I really hope you're able to find something great relatively soon!

Great review, Wingnut! I was confused by the check-in process as well.
The puffed French toast is the best stuff ever, basically.

Actually, I agree about the biscuits. Mine was hard too, and that was in December. I thought I had just waited too long to eat it, but now I'm thinking they're just not very good.

I have no problem with going to Crystal Palace without kids... in fact, I've never been to Crystal Palace WITH kids. It's Disney, no one judges!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #292
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to read about your job situation Stringbean. I wish you best of luck in finding something new.

Wow, on that first trip to the buffet Stringbean showed Wingnut how to load up a plate. But that was your only trip to the buffet, so that's okay.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #293
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. Prayers & pixie dust that you find something soon!

Great review of CP!

Has Wingnut had the puffed french toast at CRT? DH claims that that is much better than CP!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #294
GeminiAngel
DIS Veteran

Sorry about the job. I lost mine 6 months ago. I was on severance for that whole time, and this week I'm finally applying for un-employment.

I'm in school for medical coding and now I must really commit to looking for work. LOL. I've gotten a little lazy, because I hadn't been out of work for 17 years so the rest has been nice.

Good luck!

WDW: Apr 2007-POR 6 nts, Feb 2009-OKW 7nts, Oct 2011-POP 4nts, Aug 2014-ASMu 6nts

DLR: To many times to count!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #296
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Oh, how I love a good Wingnut review! I tried corned beef hash for the first time at CP this trip, and I have to admit that I'm not a fan...other than that, our opinions were pretty identical!

So sorry about your job, Sara . Hope you're able to find something even better!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #297
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Ugh, sorry about the job! Hope you find something soon!

Great CP review, I love that place! I basically just go for the omelets and puffed french toast, if they only served those two things, I'd be good! The characters are just a bonus! I sometimes feel a little weird being there without kids, but...eh, whatever, it's Disney, everyone is a kid there!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #298
MEK
DIS Veteran

SB - I know you will find a great job! In the meantime I am sure you would be an excellent Disney TA! When Nick leaves for college I have decided I am going to do it part time.

Please do keep us posted on the job front so we can root for you are you begin the job hunt.

Wingnut - that was quite the amusing update and I might just have to try the Ricola idea the next time I am there. One thing for sure - I AM trying the puffed french toast because that looks amazing. I'm thinking Tonga toast goodness without the banana.

SB - love how you and Piglet were all "matchy matchy".

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #299
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
Awesome review, Wingnut! Last time we ate at CP was in 2006 and I never even saw the puffed french toast so it will be first on my list for this year!

And don't worry, you're not weird for doing a character meal without kids! My BF and I do it all the time! The one time we EVER felt weird in WDW because we didn't have any kids was when we went to see Pocahontas and her Forest Friends at AK. It was a little stage show with real animals and I LOVE animals so I really wanted to go see it. We felt like such creepers that we bolted out of the theater as soon as the show was over.

Sara - sorry to hear about your job. I'm in the same boat but at least I've known for 2 years. I actually have an interview today and my last day at my current job is next Friday (March 2). There are jobs out there....but there are a ton of people fighting for them so make yourself stand out! Don't be afraid to tell them what you've accomplished!
It's on the kids' buffet table! You need to have it!!!

Hahaha we weren't the only adults there without kids, so it was slightly less weird, but still out of the ordinary for us!

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
First off, I'm so sorry about your job! I hope you find something fast and that you love.

Oh devilish fog! I have to admit though, I think it looks pretty cool...unique let's say! That scrim on Mainstreet bakery, however, looks awful! I'm glad by the time we got there the decorated scrim was up b/c I would not have been pleased with that eye sore!

Crystal Palace!!! Glad you chimed in Wingnut! (psst...no worries Stringbean, I believe you!)

I have no idea HOW I missed the puffed french toast, but now I remember that Dallas, my son, had some and loved it! That fruit/bread pudding/sugary goodness was yummy though!

I don't think a trip to WDW would be complete for us without an early morning trip to CP, glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you!!

Hahaha that scrim was definitely one of the more...obvious...

Wingnut LOVED that fruit/danish/mashup thing. Much too sweet for me first thing in the morning though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I really hope you're able to find something great relatively soon!

Great review, Wingnut! I was confused by the check-in process as well.
The puffed French toast is the best stuff ever, basically.

Actually, I agree about the biscuits. Mine was hard too, and that was in December. I thought I had just waited too long to eat it, but now I'm thinking they're just not very good.

I have no problem with going to Crystal Palace without kids... in fact, I've never been to Crystal Palace WITH kids. It's Disney, no one judges!
Thank you!!!

We were glad people checked in before us so we could watch how to actually get into the restaurant! I didn't realize it would be a multi-step process!

I usually find that Disney biscuits are on the disappointing side, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm sorry to read about your job situation Stringbean. I wish you best of luck in finding something new.

Wow, on that first trip to the buffet Stringbean showed Wingnut how to load up a plate. But that was your only trip to the buffet, so that's okay.
Thanks!!!

LOL I don't know what came over me! It wasn't until I saw my plate at the table that I was like...oh...that's a bit much! Wingnut has much more self-control than I do around breakfast buffets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job. Prayers & pixie dust that you find something soon!

Great review of CP!

Has Wingnut had the puffed french toast at CRT? DH claims that that is much better than CP!
Thank you!!!

He hasn't! We should give it a try!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #300
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiAngel View Post
Sorry about the job. I lost mine 6 months ago. I was on severance for that whole time, and this week I'm finally applying for un-employment.

I'm in school for medical coding and now I must really commit to looking for work. LOL. I've gotten a little lazy, because I hadn't been out of work for 17 years so the rest has been nice.

Good luck!
Thank you!!! Good luck to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Sorry to hear about your job. I hope you find something soon.

Wing nut, loved your review of CP. Can't wait to read more.
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Oh, how I love a good Wingnut review! I tried corned beef hash for the first time at CP this trip, and I have to admit that I'm not a fan...other than that, our opinions were pretty identical!

So sorry about your job, Sara . Hope you're able to find something even better!
Wingnut loves corned beef hash! It's one of his favorite breakfast foods!

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Ugh, sorry about the job! Hope you find something soon!

Great CP review, I love that place! I basically just go for the omelets and puffed french toast, if they only served those two things, I'd be good! The characters are just a bonus! I sometimes feel a little weird being there without kids, but...eh, whatever, it's Disney, everyone is a kid there!
Thank you!!

Hahaha I also liked that egg pepper cheese scramble thing! But that puffed French toast is a good draw too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
SB - I know you will find a great job! In the meantime I am sure you would be an excellent Disney TA! When Nick leaves for college I have decided I am going to do it part time.

Please do keep us posted on the job front so we can root for you are you begin the job hunt.

Wingnut - that was quite the amusing update and I might just have to try the Ricola idea the next time I am there. One thing for sure - I AM trying the puffed french toast because that looks amazing. I'm thinking Tonga toast goodness without the banana.

SB - love how you and Piglet were all "matchy matchy".
Thank you!! That sounds like a fun thing to do part-time!

Hahaha I didn't realize how large the restaurant would be! You definitely need to give the puffed French toast a try! It is a bit Tonga Toast - esque!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: