Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #256
Simba22
DIS Veteran

OMG I want to stay at the Poly so bad but you are freaking me out! I got lost at Pop Century....how am I ever going to find my way around the Poly!?

The pic of your room makes me sooo sleepy! I just want to curl up in a Disney Resort room right now and have a Disney Night's Sleep!

And I LOVED the Mara pics, MeMom! Thanks so much for posting them! Gosh, I zebra domes!!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #257
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I don't think I would ever know which longhouse was which at the Poly. But I do at least know the layout now (after staying there, and visiting it again- it took a while!)
I still love wandering around there, though!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #258
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Well done...you found it in the daylight and in the dark...what's next? Blindfolded? Very funny stuff...and at least you never lost your sense of humor!

I laughed at "The Legend of the Disney Buses"...it sounds like a story that should be told in a very spooky voice around a campfire in the dead of night!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #259
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

My, what a journey from Epcot to GCH! It felt like I was watching some horror movie of 2 teenagers lost in the woods Glad you guys made it back safe and sound!

So funny that you mention Shrinky Dinks because I was at the craft store the other day and I saw that they still make them! I couldn't believe it. If they were Disney, I totally would have bought them.
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 02-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #260
jpmom97
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #261
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Mara.

Home of these little sweeties.

Here are some other good things you can get from Mara.

There is a pretty place to sit outside - plenty of seating among lush greenery.

Condiment area.

I hope it was okay to post those. If not, let me know, and I will take them off. You saying you hadn't been to Mara just gave me an excuse to take a trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge this morning through pictures.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful Mara pictures!!! Of course they're more than welcome here! The food and the atmosphere look great there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiAngel View Post
Yup, the Poly is confusing! I've only been there twice to eat.
And once for a Hallowishes cruise. I plan on staying there someday.

The food at Mara looks really good. Except for one item: Zebra Domes. Yuck.
I had those at Boma, there wasn't any flavor to them.
Hahaha it really is! A HalloWishes cruise sounds really fun!

Not a fan of Zebra domes??? I think they're pretty good, but I only like them in small doses, since I'm not a huge fan of coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
OMG, you have me rollin over here! How many times can you get lost in a day, that is the question?!?!

Thanks for the clarification on the mugs, and not-so-obvious to me...Rey picked pink and I picked blue on our trip!

Totally remember shrinkydinks, they still have them!
Hahahaha we got better after the first day, I promise!

I thought of you guys when I typed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh you poor things....wandering all around trying to find your room at the Polynesian. We had that same problem last year at the CBR. At least it was during the day time when we were wandering and not by the light of dim tiki torches.
Hahaha CBR confused me too!! The Tiki torches definitely didn't help matters!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #262
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
Things do look totally different at night don't they? We have navigated that path from the TTC to the Poly many times, at night too, and I am always amazed when we find it. It's so dark and if I don't have my glasses on, I'd be just as lost as you guys were.

Love the pink resort mug.

Sanaa looks so good, especially your entrees. Yum. I am drooling since it's lunchtime now.
Hahaha it really does get dark there!! That path is very convenient though!

Thanks!! It really was a wonderful meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Oh my goodness, you're so right about the Poly layout being a little confusing. I didn't have any trouble, but that's because for some reason, I seem to always know where I am at WDW. I don't know if it's a curse or a gift. Farrell on the other hand? Oh man, that girl would not have been able to find anything if her life depended on it. I'm glad that you made it though. Truly glad that you didn't have to leave uneaten pastries as a trail back to your room. Because really, uneaten pastry crumbs would just be a travesty.
Hahahaha too bad you weren't there to help us navigate our way around! I'm usually pretty good with WDW navigation, but the Polynesian just baffled me for some reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Hahahah! I'm glad you admit to getting lost, because some people pretend it's so easy, like, "Yeah, we found our way back so easily. I could do that with my eyes closed walking backwards reciting the Gettysburg address." I mean, when I was staying at All Star Movies I had trouble finding my building/room, and there, the buildings don't all look the same! hahaha. ANYWAYS, sounds like yall had a good first day, despite getting lost!
LOL no, I will always admit to being lost! (And I would never ever EVER be able to go anywhere walking backwards, let alone everything else you listed, I promise you that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
You didn't know you were going to need a flash light to get back to your room, did you? I'm glad you found it and I'm glad your luggage was all there waiting for your arrival. I really do LOVE that room.

You had such a busy first day after such an early morning. Boo to missing Wishes - darn 8pm start.

Great and very humorous update!
We should have thought of that!!

I loved the room too! It was really great!

Idk why I really really thought Wishes was at 9! I blame being up since way too early that morning!

Thank you!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #263
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Memom - Thanks soooo much for posting those photos of the Mara. This gets me really excited for our upcoming trip in April.

Sara - I am sorry you guys have been "directionally challenged" so far. Hopefully, things get better as the trip progresses. If you are like me, you get it all figured out .... on the last day.
Doesn't the Mara look great??

Hahaha things do, don't worry! Oh, we were practically experts by then! (Of course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
OMG I'm sure I'd have the same experience trying to get around the Poly, especially when it's dark, it is SO confusing! Glad you found your room eventually, and got your mugs, AND made it back!

Haha, shrinky dinks...I loved those things when I was a kid!

Ugh, Wishes at 8:00? What are they thinking, that is SOOOO early!
Hahaha it is confusing! Thank you! So were we!

It is early, but it also did get dark really early then too! So I guess it does make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm kind of hoping they change the mug design before my trip in June. Those mugs are awfully feminine with those pastel colors.
Hahaha they also come in black, I think. (And purple, but I don't think that's alternate color you were hoping for!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
Man, I really, really, REALLY want to try Sanaa. I always love your food reports!

Congratulations on finding your way back to Tokelau in the dark. I think you're pretty awesome. No map? Impressive!

I love that it's still day 1! Your TR is like mine...packed! (But honestly your updates are much faster.)
Thank you!! You should! It's really so good!

Hahaha thank you!!! It wasn't easy!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #264
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Love it! Another hillarious update. Brighter torches, huh? So, based upon your experience, I think I might consider a thorough walk around the resort before sundown that first night. But you did make it! How long of a walk is it from Tokelau to GCH? I loved being so close to the BC marketplace so I could use my mug, a lot! It was great.

Too bad about missing Wishes, but I think you stayed more than one night...right?
Thank you!!! Hahaha I really was going to write a disclaimer on top of this post for you to not worried before your trip! I promise that while it is confusing, we did get the hang of things pretty quickly after that first day!

I would say that Tokelau to GCH is around a 3-4 minute walk. It's pretty close. To the TTC, it's just slightly further (in the other direction), maybe 5 minutes.

Yep, we stayed at the Poly for our whole trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
OMG I want to stay at the Poly so bad but you are freaking me out! I got lost at Pop Century....how am I ever going to find my way around the Poly!?

The pic of your room makes me sooo sleepy! I just want to curl up in a Disney Resort room right now and have a Disney Night's Sleep!

And I LOVED the Mara pics, MeMom! Thanks so much for posting them! Gosh, I zebra domes!!
Don't be freaked out!!! It really did get easier for us after this first day! I promise!

Hahaha right??? I wish I were in a Disney resort room right now too!

Doesn't all the AKL food look awesome??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I don't think I would ever know which longhouse was which at the Poly. But I do at least know the layout now (after staying there, and visiting it again- it took a while!)
I still love wandering around there, though!
Hahaha they all look identical!! I really don't think I could ever be put in front of one randomly and know where I was! It is beautiful to meander around the resort though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotAPrincess View Post
Well done...you found it in the daylight and in the dark...what's next? Blindfolded? Very funny stuff...and at least you never lost your sense of humor!

I laughed at "The Legend of the Disney Buses"...it sounds like a story that should be told in a very spooky voice around a campfire in the dead of night!
Hahaha no, definitely not blindfolded! Thank you!!

"...and then...the Coronado Springs bus arrived...AND IT WAS ACTUALLY A BUS FOR DOWNTOWN DISNEY!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
My, what a journey from Epcot to GCH! It felt like I was watching some horror movie of 2 teenagers lost in the woods Glad you guys made it back safe and sound!

So funny that you mention Shrinky Dinks because I was at the craft store the other day and I saw that they still make them! I couldn't believe it. If they were Disney, I totally would have bought them.
I should have taken video of us walking around with odd camera angles and jerky scene transitions!

That's too funny!! I used to love those things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmom97 View Post
Can't wait to read more!
Thanks!!! Welcome! Glad to have you here
Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #265
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Open the turnstyles! We're hungry!

I can't be the only one that has trouble sleeping in Disney, right?

As would become the usual, I was up long before the sun was, and started getting ready for our first full day! Wingnut was awake not long after me, and we were all ready to go at around 7 (which is when the resort monorail starts running, FYI).

Before we left the room, I decided to continue my towel animal antics of the previous year's trip. (In which I kept leaving oddball towel animals for our Mousekeeper, hoping they would take the bait and leave us one.)

(This post has my finest creation - Cinderella Castle / the Sydney Opera House.)

This was today's:

As we were leaving Tokelau, I thought that maybe the Polynesian and us had gotten off on slightly the wrong foot the day before. I really wanted us to love it there, not just be confused and befuddled as to our whereabouts. And there was so much more to see than the paths we had happened to amble down between the TTC and the GCH.

"Since we're so early, why don't we go past the volcano pool on our way to the GCH?" I suggested.

Wingnut agreed, asking "do you know where the volcano pool IS though?"

"Well, no. Kind of. That way." I pointed vaguely in front of us. "It's really big, I'm sure we can't miss it."

"Alright."

And because I'm the worst trip reporter ever, I only took one picture of our journey. Of the quiet pool outside Tokelau.

We're just going to have to close our eyes and use our imaaaaaaaaaaaaginations here.

No, wait. Don't close your eyes. That would make it hard to keep reading.

We easily found the volcano pool, which Wingnut declared "pretty cool", and walked around it.

(I'm sorry, this stinks without pictures. I know.)

(Here's a picture of Wingnut and I on a spaceship. It's completely unrelated, but at least it's a picture of SOMETHING.)

It was very pleasant walking around the resort in the quiet of the early morning. The Tiki torches flickered and soft tropical music played, adding to the ambience. We approached the GCH and randomly chose one of the doors to enter, not exactly sure where it would lead us, but slightly more confident in our navigational abilities from the day before.

Turns out, we were right by Captain Cooks! I know where that is!

I checked out the paintings along the hallway, and found this one.

Why is Goofy stalking Mickey and Minnie? (On the bridge, in the background.)

I'm not sure that he knows either…

Anyways. So why were we in the GCH at 7:10 in the morning?

You know, why not?

Well and also, to get to the monorail. (MONORAILLLLLL!)

We were heading to the Magic Kingdom that fine morning, for our very first pre-rope-drop breakfast ADR. I was super-excited to get the legendary less-crowded pictures of Main Street and the castle. Wingnut was super-excited too, because he had read about the puffed French toast.

We all have our priorities.

We got on board the monorail, and very soon we were at the Magic Kingdom. We stood in the we-have-an-excuse-to-be-here-this-early line, and waited for the turnstyle to be open.

Waiting in line, it was fairly obvious (at least, to us) that we were the only adults there without a child along with them. And while we were never ever made to feel weird or awkward for lining up for a character meal without kids, I was secretly a bit relieved when another group of adults joined the line a bit later.

Soon enough, at around 7:45, the turnstyle opened, and we were allowed to enter Main Street!

The scrims were up around the bakery, and while they are slightly obtrusive, I do think the decorated facades look better than just plain covers.

YAY THERE'S THE CASTLE!!!

Wait. Who let all this fog in?

I'm particularly annoyed about the fog in this one:

Despite the early morning fog that sat stubbornly atop the castle, I figured we should get some photos in front of it now, before the crowds came and it got busier. (I had the Photopass photographer take this with my camera.)

Well, it does add a bit of atmosphere, I guess. (And it looks like Wingnut is wearing a jaunty little hat! )

AND we look a lot warmer than our photo from December 2011!

Brr.

The photographer suggested that we come back after our breakfast and retake the photo after the fog had cleared in a bit. We then headed in the direction of Crystal Palace for our first Disney breakfast of the trip!!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #266
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I think the photos with the Castle draped in fog is actually wicked cool! But then again, I'm a weather weenie so I would

Oh and I think its funny that there are two people in your we-are-in-MK-before-rope-drop photos The one of the Christmas tree is what I'm speaking of.
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #267
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hey! You left $5 on the bed!

Quote:
"Well, no. Kind of. That way." I pointed vaguely in front of us. "It's really big, I'm sure we can't miss it."

"Alright."
Oh NO!!!! Not again!

Quote:
(Here's a picture of Wingnut and I on a spaceship. It's completely unrelated, but at least it's a picture of SOMETHING.)

At least your head is connected to your shoulders here.

Quote:
Anyways. So why were we in the GCH at 7:10 in the morning?
You needed to get leid?

Quote:
Man, that looks so cool!

Quote:

Well, it does add a bit of atmosphere, I guess. (And it looks like Wingnut is wearing a jaunty little hat! )
LOL... Walt's hand & head looks like a mini Mickey hat on Wingnut!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #268
GeminiAngel
DIS Veteran

How cute that you leave towel creations for Mousekeeping! I bet that never happens to them and is welcomed.

Puffed French Toast got my attention. Can't wait to hear how it was.

The castle looks AWESOME!!! I would have loved to see that.

WDW: Apr 2007-POR 6 nts, Feb 2009-OKW 7nts, Oct 2011-POP 4nts, Aug 2014-ASMu 6nts

DLR: To many times to count!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #269
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

Oh, wow, the castle looks crazy with all the fog! And I definitely thought the same thing about Wingnut wearing a little hat...great minds.

I really love that you left towel creations. The castle one is really awesome...I could never have come up with that!

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #270
MEK
DIS Veteran

Don't feel bad about your ability to get repeatedly lost at the Poly. We actually got lost in the parking lot there back in May 2010 and I'm not kidding when I say it was the first and last time I ever heard our GPS say, "Impossible". yup. True Story!

Yeah for early entry. Boo for fog! Love the pictures and I didn't realize there would still be some Christmas decorations up when you were there. Nice. I hope breakfast was wonderful. I love CP breakfast and I love Eeorye!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: